“It's not even close to complete” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nuevo Vallarta
Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta
You added Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta to your Saves list
Paseo De Las Moras #1, Fracc., Nuevo Vallarta 63735, Mexico   |
Ranked #22 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Bellingham, Washington
“It's not even close to complete”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I had a week at the Mayan Palace through a third party timeshare - January 4- 11, 2013. We called ahead of time to see if we can upgrade to the Grand Mayan, because we understood that the Mayan Palace was being renovated and they said on the phone that this was impossible since we weren't owners and were coming in as a buy through our 3rd party company. She told us that the resort was 95% complete so there was no issue with construction.
The moment we arrived at the Mayan Palace, we were 1) charged $250 to our credit card to cover expenses charged to the room, since they don't allow cash purchases on site. They'll tell you it's a hold, but when you get an alert on your phone 30 seconds later, let me tell you that they hit your credit card with it instantly. 2) immediately assigned to a sales lady who wanted to upgrade us to the Grand Mayan as long as we agreed to go to the timeshare presentation.

We were prepared for that because we had read enough about it on tripadvisor and we agreed ahead of time that we were NOT going to waste a day of our vacation on high pressure sales. However, the sales lady (Rosie) told us that the resort is still being gutted, that the construction noise was really bad and that 50% of the pool was closed for construction. In the end, we agreed to the upgrade, because in reality - I REALLY wanted the lazy river at the Grand Mayan. We decided to give the presentation a shot, just to say that we experienced it. There was no way I was going to buy because I'm an owner in another company (Vacation Internationale).

I don't regret upgrading out of the Mayan Palace. A full building is gutted. No walls - no anything. A cement structure that you can see right through. The construction noise IS very loud. Not only for this complex, but for the Luxxe (?) being built next to it. They have construction crews working 24/7 in 3 shifts of 8 hours. The pool, however, was not under construction at all. In fact, it was quite beautiful and completely empty when we went by it.

In the sales presentation, they showed us the upgrades they were planning on doing and yes - it looks very beautiful. But when you buy into the Mayan Resorts, you buy in levels. So if you have a Mayan Palace buy, you can only use the Mayan Palace. If you buy in the Bliss, you can use the Bliss and the Palace (level one and two). IF you buy in the Grand Mayan, you can use the Grand (level 3), the Bliss (2) and the Mayan Palace (1). See?
I found it interesting that they can't wait to upgrade you OUT of the Mayan Palace - but when you go through the presentation, the Mayan Palace is exactly what they are selling you.

I will say this about the presentation: we were expecting a whole new level of Hell. It wasn't that bad. We had an exit plan (pre-arranged time we had to leave) and we knew we were going through a sales pitch. We had NO intention of buying and we stuck to our guns. It was a solid 4 hours, yes. We went through 6 people. In the end, we didn't get anything but an upgrade to the Grand Mayan, which is what we really were after, and a 10% discount on our purchases, which wasn't hardly anything. It wasn't however, painful or angry or scary. It was a little amusing when you see how hard they try and the sales tactics they give you.

We upgraded and I don't regret a moment of it. I'll go to the Grand Mayan site and give my review there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Mardine :
We are grateful for your taking the time to write a detailed review about your experience about your visit at Mayan Palace and your experience while staying at another one of our resorts.We are delighted to find out you and your loved ones enjoyed many of our facilities.
Our goal is to make each one of our guests’ vacations relaxing and we look to please them by making sure they receive all the benefits they are expecting to enjoy during their vacation. With that in mind, your feedback will be shared with all the appropriate areas. Comments like yours enable our continued pursuit of improvement for perfection on our daily performance.

It will be our privilege to welcome you back.

Warm regards,
Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Saskatoon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We just got back from Nuevo Vallarta. We own at the Mayan Palace Pv (25 yrs)but since there was no availability they suggested we stay at the Sea Garden. We booked 2 one bdrm units and got ocean view for both. The rooms we got were certainly ready for an update as they were still the older decor but i believe thats happening and having the space was great. It's close to the marina and a few very good and VERY reasonable restaurants....try Eddies place and Estudio Cafe. We also really appreciated the quaintness of the resort and that it was still easy for us to go to the Mayan grounds and enjoy what's over there. I arranged for us to use the Mayan Palace pool so we had wristbands for both and the Mayan pool was wonderful! They told us its best to arrange that at the time of booking ( which I would make sure I did if I didn't get into Mayan Palace) but we were able to use our towel cards there and charge drinks to our room with no problem
We went to an info session because i had some questions and made sure they knew I had no intention of buying and I was thrilled that it wasn't the high pressure sales pitch of the past....the guy addressed my concerns and in fact I was thrilled to hear their plans for development.
We love this kind of travel where it feels like we have our own apartment for the week. we took our two adult children and their boyfriends and loved that there was enough room to all meet in one room for some salsa and chips and a cold beer mid afternoon rain or shine and to have toast and coffee in the morning together without having to go to the restaurant so I'm excited that Mayan is planning to have its own store with "Walmart" pricing on site with free transport to and from....by water no less. The fellow said there are plans for an aquarium and a water park right on site too and I love the idea of having lots of things to do without having to go far. We love this kind of travel and even though all inclusive's have made it seem less desirable for the last few years I really hope these changes will make it easier for us as owners to enjoy what we own.....I think it will : ). We had a fantastic family holiday and hope for many more.
Ps previous review has some valid concerns but.....if you pay what grand lux and grand bliss members pay for their ownership.which is actually "fractional" not "timeshare"....i wouldn't share either....just saying

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Victoria, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Where to begin...Mayan palace is one of the "Mayan Palace resorts lined up along the beach in Nuevo Vallarta. If you bought a timeshare with the Mayan Palace you will immediately notice that this "brand" is being replaced by the newer "upgrades" and many owners are disturbed by the fact that though they bought at this property it is now being gutted, leaving very few units. Even with the sales-ey pressure attitude, this could still be a good vacation spot, if you could get a unit you were promised when they happily took your money the first time. My problem staying here for a week as a guest of my family members who have owned this resort for 20 years is how cravenly cheap and stingy the resort is to it's guests.
The prices at the restaurants are ALL at the high end U.S. Luxury rates. It is impossible to eat ANYTHING on the grounds that is even remotely priced like a value place in the us or Canada. If you think a turkey sandwich in Mexico at $16 is reasonable, or a ample snapper fish entree for $38 is affordable or even logical, then you will be fine.
The pools are indeed beautiful and the grounds stunning. We were there over New Years week and were shocked to find almost all the pools empty of guests because they were not heated and were simply too cold to get into. We also stayed at a Marriott in the marina and that pool was lovely and comfortable. I was shocked that the Mayan Palace could be so "upscale"yet would not heat the pools. And don't even think about walking ten yards over to the next pool, where ther might be a slightly more comfortable area you could bear to stick your toe into, as the ever-present and all important doctrine of "exclusivity" means that all the otherwise friendly staff are looking carefully at your wrist to make sure that you have the right shade wristband on--lest you , ummm, steal all the water from the kilometer long pool?
We were--on a hideously rainy day -- hunting for a slightly warm option ( by the way, not a jacuzzi to be found at these properties) for our two kids aged 8 and 11 to swim in and were approached in a COMPLETELY empty pool and told that the rules were that we could not be there. I thought that the staff person might have come over to offer an umbrella or ask if we needed something, but rather it was to ask us to leave! The staff try to be friendly but the rules are ridiculous and protect nothing, essentially.
The recent changes to the properties have made it labyrinthine, confusing to get around and virtually impossible to get to the Mayan palace hotel without at least a 15 minute walk from another hotel that you're not supposed to be at because you are the wrong color bracelet.
If you have an elderly person or anyone with you with any kind of disability, this is the wrong place to be as these types of needs are completely not taken into account. There is really only the option to take a taxi if youngish to leave the premises, and it is definitely not a quick 15 minutes to PV. There is a bus which runs, but the walking rout from Mayan palace to it is obscure and runs through the a detoured, service road area where you will likely get lost at least once.

There are many other annoyances, including a cheesy and cheap system for pool towels that doesn't provide a towel for each guest and charges you $40 for a lost towel or a towel "card" used to police your towel usage. really? This is high end?

Overall, the experience now at these resorts is one of being over policed, and just not offered ANY extra value. It seems like they are quite glad they've got your money, now the guests are simply an intrusion on the sales and new development. The staff are actually quite lovely and on an individual basis they often seem apologetic or embarrassed about the resort policies and weird rules. It's a beautiful place but beware if you are looking for a place where the guest is considered.
Internet is $15 a day and no cheaper if you buy it for a week. The small stores on the property gouge you for basic essentials.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear nackwoman:
Thank you so much for choosing our Mayan Palace for your vacation and for sharing your thorough review about your stay. We are delighted to find out that our staff was welcoming as this is what we strive for every day. We are happy as well that you liked our pools and grounds.

However, we are disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations to the fullest. Comments like yours enable our continued pursuit of improvement for perfection on our daily performance. Rest assured your comments and suggestions will be shared with the appropriate areas, as we aim to achieve the highest level of guest satisfaction.We would like to point out as well that our prices are competitive compared to other resorts.

We are grateful for your feedback.
Best regards,
Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta Management.
La Jolla, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This is my second year going there for a week, and it just gets better and better. The hotel has some construction going on, but nothing crazy. Laid by the pool all day and ate great meals at night. Looking forward to going back next year

Room Tip: All the rooms are good to be honest
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
lahaina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Beautiful grounds, super friendly staff, one mile long swimming pool with a separate area for kids. Fun games to participate in and excellent restaurants Chinese food all upscale for very reasonable prices. I've stayed at other resorts that have burger King and American fast food, who wants that garbage on vacation. Great shopping on the resort a gym and beautiful spa. Even daycare if you want a break from the kids. The beaches are amazing and clean because your about 15 minutes out of town and you can catch a bus right out front for only ten pesos into old Vallarta excellent bus service we rode it everywhere.

If you go to a meeting you will receive discounts on other activities around town.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

For those that seek a self-contained get away, with great pools, dining, and beaches: this is terrific. The staff were great at arranging tours, reservations, and local travel as we wanted to do more than stay at the resort. The rooms are attractive and the views are great.

The restaurants on the property are fantastic for quality and service. The prices compare favorably with resorts and urban vacation destinations in the US.

Yes you are offer a sales meeting or owner consultation, but that comes with good discount promotions. I'll go back again and try their other resorts. I could get addicted to cruising the lazy river tube ride.

Room Tip: Ocean view is outstanding.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Olathe, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I own a Mayan Palace timeshare and was surprised upon my recent stay. When I arrived I was checked into the Grand Mayan and told I needed to come to a "meeting" to hear what was going on with the Mayan Palace. The "meeting" was a high pressure sales push to have me move up. I was also advised that the Mayan Palace was being gutted and only 60 units would be left. They then told me that it will be very difficult to stay here as with only 60 units they will not be able to accept all reservations. I asked why I never received a letter about the planned changes and was told they were attempting to let everyone know. So, basically they are saying, you bought into the Mayan Palace but we are making every attempt to get you out and I still have 20 years on my contract. I heard so many owners complaining at the pool about the high pressure tactics used to make you move up to the next level. Some from the Grand Luxe said the only time they got ocean view was the first year after they bought and now they never get ocean view. I would really be sad if I bought the Grand Bliss as they only built one tower and moved on to the Luxe. The resort is beautiful and they do provide good service but the harassment every time you arrive on vacation is too much. They are more concerned with getting you into a timeshare meeting. Will never attend another one of their "informational meetings."

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!