“Take the address with you” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 103 Restaurants in Nuevo Vallarta
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Accepts Mastercard, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Great Prices, Great Location, Great Sushi. Eat in or take out your sushi craving is covered. We have nightly sushi and drink specials, an executive menu for offices, and special catering menus. Happy hour daily from 1:30 - 2:30 and 5 - 6pm Call us today to order or come on in!
Potomac, Maryland
“Take the address with you”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Had reservations for here on our first night in Nuevo Vallarta. It was pouring, it was a long day of travel. We were tired and hungry. The restaurant was 5 minutes from our resort, but the cab driver didn't know the place, and took us on a wild goose chase trying to find it. We actually stopped here and he said "this place is closed" - the Saku part of the sign wasn't very visible at night. ANYWAY, we got there a couple nights later. It's a very casual, no frills kind of place with only 6 indoor tables (and the outdoor atmosphere is not so great). The menu was in English, but our waiter had very limited English. My daughter's Spanish was very helpful. (Stupid me - I took French for years).
The menu had typical Japanese choices - edamame, sushi, gyoza, teriyaki. Miso soup was very large and the bowl was filled with noodles. We enjoyed the Ebi special, kamikaze, and spicy tempura rolls the most. We thought the fish tasted fresh, the food was good, and it was a nice break from the Mexican meals we were eating. NOTE: they are not open for lunch. It doesn't say that on their website, and we were really in the mood for a sushi lunch! Oh - and we liked the different choices of soy sauce they offered. There was a spicy soy sauce, and the one we all liked was a soy sauce with lime. Also liked the bright Marimekko plates!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
“fine experience over all.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

when you are with a group that decided to have sushi, and that yourself do not enjoy sushi too much, but you want to be with the group.i have found the perfect plate for myself which was a chicken fried rice preceded by a singapore sling,,finishing by an ice cream with chocolate ripples and everything was delicious.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Puerto vallarta mexico
“Best Sushi in the Bay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Very good food.The fish was Very fresh, There is a very good selection on the menue, not just the basic standard rolls I recomend the Tomatito roll, Vallarta Roll, TnT Roll and Crunchy Roll. The service was very good and very friendly staff.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa, Canada
“Unique and fresh sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I've been to this restaurant a handful of times. Every time I am lucky enough to be in Nuevo Vallarta, I have to come to this restaurant. Sometimes I come twice.. in the span of a week.

For me, the reason this sushi restaurant is so much better comes down to three things.

Fresh: In my opinion, fresh ingredients make or break a sushi restaurant. This is why Saku is so good. While some people may be disappointed when a particular menu item is unavailable, its probably because it couldn't be found fresh at the market. For example, salmon is not caught near Puerto Vallarta, so I wouldn't recommend it. However, tuna is caught up and down the mexican coasts so its a much better choice. Stick with whatever Alejandra (the owner) recommends, and you'll be happy.

Unique: Saku has some of the most unique sushi I have ever had. Deep fried sushi. Delicious. Sushi with mexican spices. Delicious. I'm sure the california rolls are great too. But why stay in your sushi comfort level. What other sushi restaurant spikes their soy sauce with lime?

Service: I'm biased. I like this place. I'd overlook service gaffes because I like the food so much. But with a charming owner (who speaks great english and presumably outstanding spanish) and a small restaurant, you'll get great service.

The only knock I have against the restaurant is the location. It is down the street from where my family has a place, so I have no problem with it. I am just discontent that the all inclusive crowd in the local resort prisons might not venture outside the walls. The going out crowd in downtown PV might not want to come out to Nuevo Vallarta (or see in in the Puerto Vallarta trip advisor which is a shame).

This place might slip through some peoples radars. It shouldn't. If you like sushi, you'll like Saku Sushi. But be warned, every time you come back to the Puerto Vallarta region, you will have to go to Saku. It could keep you from trying new restaurants. You've been warned.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Teriyaki”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Good food, just they run out of supplies often, I would call them before you order, because alot of times there is either no teriyaki, or no sushi, :/ But, the food is excellent.
Honestly, best Asian Food I have ever tasted. Service is good, and it is prepared fast too. Friendly staff, nice atmosphere, affordable prices. I would go again for sure. Problem is, the rice seems a little store-bought, and tightly packed. Overall, a 4/5
Also, the owner is really nice.