“Best Sushi in the Bay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Saku Sushi & Bar

Saku Sushi & Bar
Avenida Mexico 570 Jarretaderas | Enfrente de la Glorieta del Tigre, Nuevo Vallarta 63735, Mexico
322 113 3277
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Great Prices, Great Location, Great Sushi. Eat in or take out your sushi craving is covered. We have nightly sushi and drink specials, an executive menu for offices, and special catering menus. Happy hour daily from 1:30 - 2:30 and 5 - 6pm Call us today to order or come on in!
Puerto vallarta mexico
“Best Sushi in the Bay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Very good food.The fish was Very fresh, There is a very good selection on the menue, not just the basic standard rolls I recomend the Tomatito roll, Vallarta Roll, TnT Roll and Crunchy Roll. The service was very good and very friendly staff.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Ottawa, Canada
“Unique and fresh sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I've been to this restaurant a handful of times. Every time I am lucky enough to be in Nuevo Vallarta, I have to come to this restaurant. Sometimes I come twice.. in the span of a week.

For me, the reason this sushi restaurant is so much better comes down to three things.

Fresh: In my opinion, fresh ingredients make or break a sushi restaurant. This is why Saku is so good. While some people may be disappointed when a particular menu item is unavailable, its probably because it couldn't be found fresh at the market. For example, salmon is not caught near Puerto Vallarta, so I wouldn't recommend it. However, tuna is caught up and down the mexican coasts so its a much better choice. Stick with whatever Alejandra (the owner) recommends, and you'll be happy.

Unique: Saku has some of the most unique sushi I have ever had. Deep fried sushi. Delicious. Sushi with mexican spices. Delicious. I'm sure the california rolls are great too. But why stay in your sushi comfort level. What other sushi restaurant spikes their soy sauce with lime?

Service: I'm biased. I like this place. I'd overlook service gaffes because I like the food so much. But with a charming owner (who speaks great english and presumably outstanding spanish) and a small restaurant, you'll get great service.

The only knock I have against the restaurant is the location. It is down the street from where my family has a place, so I have no problem with it. I am just discontent that the all inclusive crowd in the local resort prisons might not venture outside the walls. The going out crowd in downtown PV might not want to come out to Nuevo Vallarta (or see in in the Puerto Vallarta trip advisor which is a shame).

This place might slip through some peoples radars. It shouldn't. If you like sushi, you'll like Saku Sushi. But be warned, every time you come back to the Puerto Vallarta region, you will have to go to Saku. It could keep you from trying new restaurants. You've been warned.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Teriyaki”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Good food, just they run out of supplies often, I would call them before you order, because alot of times there is either no teriyaki, or no sushi, :/ But, the food is excellent.
Honestly, best Asian Food I have ever tasted. Service is good, and it is prepared fast too. Friendly staff, nice atmosphere, affordable prices. I would go again for sure. Problem is, the rice seems a little store-bought, and tightly packed. Overall, a 4/5
Also, the owner is really nice.

San Francisco, California
“Try this place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We came here after arriving at the airport and this was the first place we ever tried in Mexico! At home, we eat a lot of sushi, so while we may not necessarily be experts, we have tried a lot of places. Saku did not disappoint. While it isn't the best sushi I've ever had, I would absolutely go here again and again if this were close to home. I thought the food was great and the prices were reasonable. I had the shrimp and tako roll (I forget what the name of it is) and I tried the vegetable tempura. The roll was tasty, pretty light, and rolled well. The tempura was perfectly battered and had a nice crunch. There are a lot of options here. Other than the food, service was great. They were all friendly and nice. If you like sushi, I would recommend this place.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Best Sushi Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Absolutely the best sushi we have ever eaten. We live in the area now and have put Saku on our favorites list. The service is outstanding and very helpful with choices from their creative menu.

• Visited April 2012