“Pay extra money to go somewhere else” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Marival Resort & Suites

Save Saved
You added Marival Resort & Suites to your Saves list
Marival Resort & Suites
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Nuevo Vallarta y Paseo Cocoteros S/N, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #16 of 24 hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Helena, Montana
“Pay extra money to go somewhere else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Since I am a glass half full type of person, I will start with the positives. We really enjoyed the restaurants especially the Mexican place, and all of the desserts. The service at the restaurants was fabulous, and we definitely never went away hungry. We never had to wait long for alcoholic drinks. There was a nice variety, and we never went long with an empty glass when drinking. The rooms were very spacious, and it was nice having two bathrooms (although, you could hear everything that your neighbors were doing which made it hard to get much sleep).

Okay now for the reasons that we will not be returning to Marival. Communication was very poor, and I am not talking about the English/Spanish translation. When we arrived at the resort, we waited in line for a while to check in and then were told that we had to check in at the Marival Gold desk (they were not very friendly about it either). After they checked us in, I asked if there was a map or anything they could tell us about the resort. The only thing that we were given was a kid's map which was not helpful at all. There was a guy named Felix that immediately greeted us, but he only wanted to sell us something. Felix continued to call our room consistently for about the next four days which was very annoying to say the least. We called to make dinner reservations for the night, but we were told that we couldn't because it was after 5. Wasn't that something they could have shared with us when we checked in at 4?

So we were disappointed that night when we had to eat mediocre food at the buffet. We went to the show after dinner which was in Spanish, so we couldn't really enjoy it. Thank goodness the drinks were flowing, and we made the best out of the situation.

Another big disappointment was how hard it was to get bottled water at this resort. You got four bottled waters in the fridge which is two per person. I'm sorry, but two bottled waters a day when drinking and out in the sun is not enough. We went to all of the bars which could not give us any, and then called room service which never came with more even though they said they would. I finally had to go to the front desk and get a little sassy to start getting six bottled waters in the fridge. Needless to say we had to drink the water out at the restaurants. Now about nine days later, both of us are still not feeling 100% after getting sick the last couple days of our trip.

There was one last incident that annoyed us. We wanted to play tennis one day. We went to ask for rackets and balls. We were told that the courts were wet, and we couldn't play. Although, we saw another pair playing. We stayed and played pool. About fifteen minutes later, another pair came in and were given tennis rackets and balls. We asked again and then were told to go outside and someone would help us out there. Well by that time all of the courts were taken, and there was no one to help us. I guess we were not playing tennis.

This was our first all inclusive trip that we have taken, but I have done several cruises. I will definitely be sticking to cruises from now on. If we do take another all inclusive trip, we will be spending the extra money to stay somewhere a little more accommodating.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you may have encountered and we will share your comments with the appropriate leaders for their follow up. We are sure our operation is dedicated to the highest safety procedures and our guests can find safe water all over the Resort at the restaurants or bars, bottles of water are only send to the rooms. Our main concern is the total satisfaction of our guests and we deeply care when our guests express their dissatisfaction; we would have appreciated it if you had reported us your observations while you were still at the hotel. We hope you will give us in the future the opportunity to welcome you back; please do not doubt to contact us at gsmanager@marival.com.mx before your arrival to help you with any request you could have.

1,898 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Belleville, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just returned from here and will NEVER go back or recommend to anyone! Food was awful and we are all VERY sick! Also met other families there who were sick as well. Housekeeping did not clean the room well at all. No towels left in the rooms. All in all very upset with this vacation considering we took my mother and our kids for the first time.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
We apologize for any inconvenience you may have felt with us, and are very sorry if we could not meet your expectations. It would have been very helpful if you had told us of your discomfort during your stay to make sure it would be more enjoyable. For your information we do not have any other report regarding guests getting sick from food. Our main concern is the total satisfaction of our guests and you can be more than sure that your remarks are being followed up by our Managers. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back in the future; please do not doubt to contact us at gsmanager@marival.com.mx before your arrival to help you with any request.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for a week at the end of June /13. This was my first experience with an all inclusive and actually with Mexico (since the last time I was here was when I still qualified for the kids club). Overall this place is not terrible but it is definitely one of those "You get what you paid for" places. I would also like to say that I didn't read any of the reviews prior to the trip so I could see first then read and compare.

So where to start.... I have read in previous reviews from others that the staff are not accommodating or helpful. It is apparent that the resort has made an effort to make this better. The staff were really fun, personable, and very respectful. This is apparently low season for the hotel but you couldn't walk 10 feet without seeing a staff member and though most do not speak english, they will still smile and throw a general "Ola" your way. The housekeepers were like ninjas.... We would leave for breakfast and return 20 minutes later and the room was made, fresh towels, clean linens, refilled fridge, ect. They are ones that work hard at what they do. I don't think I can mention one bad thing about the staff.

As mentioned prior, I stayed in low season... there was nothing to do here except try to tune out the piles and piles of under supervised children. I work with children and I have a lot of patience with them and this even struck a nerve with me. They run around yelling and stomping up and down stairs and hallways at all hours of the night and the parents didn't do anything. I realize that the spanish culture is a bit different and they do dinner at 9:00 pm and are up later (Note: even the clubs, and local places don't pick up until 1:00 am... had a fun time learning that one...) However, back to the children, this was a bit off putting. The kids also yelled and cried in the adult pool area (no they have not fixed the issue with keeping the kids out of the adult pool), in the restaurants (which said there was a dress code and then when you follow it and you see a local family of 15 all wearing shorts, tank tops, and flip flops, you look like a fool of a tourist) they would push in line at the buffets and bars. They were everywhere and there was not really any quiet time so we had to improvise and found a great place that we had to go into town for. (the beach we found was a long walk the boardwalk in the heat to get to.... totally worth it though, very friendly and the place we found did beach service of food and drinks until 5:00 pm then they closed.). So overall the children were like ants at a picnic... just ants are much more quiet.

We had no issues with finding chairs for the pools. The beach was busy and it was harder. The grounds are wonderful though. Very clean... it occurred to my friend and I that in our entire trip here we never once saw garbage or litter on the streets of PV or on the resort. The pool layout is kind of weird though... the swim up bar is at the kids activity pool.... I suppose if I were a parent trying to wrangle my children in that mess I would want a swim up bar to go to... but the adult pool would make a lot more sense. There was no music or anything going on either so it was good and bad at the same time. Thank god for headphones and some good old fashioned Canadian top 40 hits on the Iphone...

The food was disappointing. It was the same thing every day... no variety and the food was the exact same in all the restaurants... just some were served to you and others you had to go scoop yourself. I have been known to be a picky eater but even the burgers, pizza, and pasta was off... and a word of advice, the condiments sit out in a metal container all day... DO NOT TOUCH THE MAYO (haha i caught on to that one). However to recall a previous statement... the staff were wonderful... and they have jello... that is hard to mess up! I will say that the desserts at the mexican restaurant were amazing. We ordered 3 desserts... We also found out a bit late that there is a coffee shop at the residences that has good sandwiches and coffee (that is comparable to starbucks). Also there is a great mexican/asian fusion restaurant there as well. There is a free shuttle that will take you there if you let the bellmen know.

The final thing here to mention is the spa... I don't speak a lot of spanish, but when my friend and I booked it, they assumed we were a couple and we were introduced to the masseuse that was working with us... and walked into the same room. They were very quick to help accommodate, however, as i was waiting for the other room to open up i felt uncomfortable as the people at the spa were talking in spanish looking at me and laughing... they were whispering too.... its just awkward... However the massage was great and very inexpensive and I saw them change the sheets and everything so it was very clean.

so to summarize this whole experience...
- Great staff
- Too many local children running amuck
- Clean rooms (yes the safe is a fee, and is small, but i didn't touch the coffee machine so don't know if that got better). The TV's were the only thing that seemed old in the room (still tube TV's) and not really a selection or PPV movies or anything to wind down at the end of the day.
- INTERNET IS NOT FREE AND WILL BE A HEFTY PRICE IF YOU DECIDE THAT YOU WANT IT... currently it is at $79 US for the week.... even the Holiday Inn has free internet.....
- Food was not impressive
- The evening entertainment was in spanish and not really understandable. It was like watching a spanish children's program on TV... very energized but WTF!
- not for a relaxing getaway, but probably good for families... the place has lots to do for them and lots of energetic spanish teens working hard to put a smile on peoples faces.

Room Tip: Apparently they are remodelling all of their Grand hotel suites... they look really good and have fl...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Brandon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This was our 13th consecutive year at Marival. We vacation here for three weeks every year during February and March. The reason we return every year is mostly for the Staff and for the excellent cuisine but we also enjoy the many facets of this resort. The accommodations have have always been to our liking and if we ever had any concerns they were quickly addressed. The managerial staff have done an excellent job of training the staff in their duties. They are polite, courteous, well dressed and always friendly. The cuisine has always lived up to the resorts reputation or has surpassed it. Our rooms have always met our expectations and have always been comfortable, clean and well maintained..

In our opinion the staff is the main ingredient in making or breaking a vacation. Of course we feel it is natural to get to know some staff better than others and they tend to become favorites. These hard working employees are gold mines in the tourist industry. The bell boys are all helpful, friendly and informative. Waiters and waitresses work extremely hard and do everything in their power to make you feel special. In the morning Miriam is always there to greet you with a friendly smile at the buffet and the attentive service from the waiter's is what anyone should expect.

Although we did not get to know the many grounds keepers and gardeners that the resort has, their presence has never gone unnoticed. The immaculate lawns and floral gardens are another reason for Marival’s charm. We can probably say with absolute certainty that Marival is the number one resort in Nuevo Vallarta. All you have to do to recognize this is walk the beach and see just how many people are out on the lounge chairs in front of each resort. Marival wins hands down every time.

The Residence is indeed a wonderful addition to Marival and is a luxurious place to stay but we are extremely happy and prefer to continue to stay at the Grand Marival.

I find it amusing that some people commented that they felt the resort was too noisy beside the grand or activity pool. My suggestion to you is go to the beach and relax. The beach area is long and there is absolutely no reason why you could not find a comfortable spot listening to the surf. But more to the point why on earth are you in your room on vacation during the day! I also find it amusing that some people had problems with the staff or that the cuisine was not to their liking. I have witnessed first hand some vacationers being rude and obnoxious to the staff for issues that could have been resolved with a more kinder attitude. I don't fault the staff for what these people got. I commend the staff for putting up with such immature tantrums from people that think that they should be treat like "foreign dignitaries". Some vacationing people seems to forget that even in a foreign country and at a resort sometimes mistakes do happen. After all the staff are human just like you and me. How you deal with it may well influence your result.

Marival is perfectly located. Not that far from Puerto Vallarta, Bucerias, or any of the many small and excellent local restaurants. Some within walking distance. So even if you are all inclusive your options are many.

The staff and the resort are only as good as its managers and Marival has made an excellent choice in Daphne Fernández Gamerdinger! We will continue to return to Marival and will also continue to encourage our family and friends to accompany us. Until next year, we wish you all health, happiness and continued success at Marival. See you next year and many years to come.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have gone to this hotel for the past three spring breaks. I travel with a large group of families and friends and we are always taken care of. The rooms are beautiful. I love the color scheme and the rooms feel huge. The beds are massive. TV is usually only in Spanish, but now and then English will crop up. This past year, we all watched the conclave and got excited when the new Pope was chosen. The food is fantastic- get the parmesan chicken from La Pergola.

This past year was the first where we had a small problem. Our room had a weird noise at night. We went to the desk and a bellboy heard my dad trying to describe the issue. He knew exactly what was wrong and in 20 minutes, we were in a new room. He brought our luggage, hung our dresses on a cart so we didn't need to pack them, and helped rehang everything in the rooms.

For a group of 30+, this place is perfect. We never struggle finding chairs at the beach and for the first time last year, a few of the older kids took surfing lessons from a hotel instructor.

We go down to the Malecon each year and eat at Pipi's. It's a typical bar, but has a great atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

it was my first time in Mexico. I will go back but not to this hotel. The rooms were terrible, they showed me 5 different ones, they were exactly the same. The humirity smell in the rooms make me and my family sick. we are really sick right now.
The people working at the hotel, starting with the "botones" was great. i dont think i am going to have enough room to say THANK YOU to every single one person at the hotel. The food was great at the restaurant, a lot of different choices. The shows at night time were really good for a family time, the actors were everything, from animation staff that make you smile by the pool with a game, to make you cry in a theater show at night time. They were simply an awsome team. The attention we received all over the places, including the lobby, the restaurants, bars, front desk, kids club, was excelent.
Thanks, Tino, Fernando, Facundo (Chencho), Karina, David, Ivan (luz), Paco ( i hope u fell better, take care about yourself), Marco, Buru (kunfu panda), DJ, Jimena (la de las pompas), Adriana, Angel, Jimena ( la de las pompas), Brenda, Marco Polo, la otra Karina, en fin me faltaria tiempo para nombrarlos a todos ( la verdad no me acuerdo de todos los nombtres, estos fueron solo unos pocos de los muchos q nos hicieron este paseo tan agradable), de nuevo gracias por hacer de estas vacaciones algo inolvidable. Nunca los olvidaremos, sigan adelante con ese animo y ese carisma tan lindo.
Que viva Mexico y Colombia!!!!!!
Gracias!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Traveler
Thank you for posting a review of our resort on this web site. We value your comments, and they have been forwarded to management for proper attention and follow up. We would like to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Buena park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Very friendly personnel polite professionals I got junior suit very neat clean with all necesitys a person from the desc show mi the rooms to see if I like it so very nice the resort many restaurants with high coality food very very good food excellent Amalfi Italian I have best baked Alaska desert la Pergola restaurant Mediterranean menu superb La Paloma Mexican menu delicious an best buffet la Casa Bella restaurant best pizza I ever had la Piza court open all night 7 bars with all varity of drinks all activity games yoga dance lessons every night excellent show and activity so very polite team I am so very impres with all the attention I receive at restaurants at pool at concerge I am very very please I will return again I found a perfect destination for my family vacation

Room Tip: All rooms neat very very clean
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Traveler
Thank you for posting a review of our resort on this web site. We value our guests' opinions as we believe other travelers find them useful and informative. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back.

Been to Marival Resort & Suites? Share your experiences!