“3rd time at Marival” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marival Resort & Suites

Save Saved
You added Marival Resort & Suites to your Saves list
Marival Resort & Suites
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Nuevo Vallarta y Paseo Cocoteros S/N, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #16 of 24 hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Vancouver Island BC
“3rd time at Marival”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed here with extended family ( 15 ) from December 26 to January 2. As this was our 3rd visit, we were very aware of the time share people and asked at check-in to receive our bracelets at the front desk and not from the time share people as is the usual way. Having experienced the time share pitch at Marival I would highly recommend avoiding it at all costs. It is extremely high pressure and uncomfortable.The front desk people were happy to oblige us and we had a quick and painless check in.

We have stayed in suites on all our visits and find them spacious and well appointed. They are on the quiet side of the resort close to the adult pool, and just a short walk to the beach. Some of our party have stayed in the regular rooms on previous visits and had mentioned that they can be quite noisy. Our rooms were cleaned and freshened everyday and water was also delivered to the room daily. On our last night one of our party wasn't feeling well and we had to have maid service come up to the room at midnight to change some bedding. This was done very efficiently and quickly and was a reminder of the quick and efficient service of the room cleaning staff.
Overall the resort is well laid out with many options for relaxing, playing and eating. Unlike most resorts in Nuevo there are defined and separate kids, activity and adult pool areas.There are lots of pool chairs and although many people get up early to reserve chairs, we were able to find chairs either on the beach or by the pools. The resort is very clean with the staff doing maintenance all the time to keep things looking in top shape. The activity pool has something going on from the late morning to the late afternoon, plus there is a water park, kids club and a teens club as well. The beach hut has boogie boards and kayaks for use at no charge, and there is a sailing boat available to rent. The adult pool is very quiet and close to the snack bar and the staff do their best to keep the kids away.
There are lots of options for food. In the morning the main buffet is open from 7 to 11 am, and the Mediterranean restaurant is open till noon. The buffet has a great selection as well as a made to order omelet bar. It is quite noisy so we preferred the Mediterranean restaurant for breakfast. Here you have a buffet of continental type breakfast selections, plus you can order off the menu as well. We did find service slow here most mornings though, so if you are in a hurry, best to go to the main buffet.
Lunch is served in the same 2 places, the main buffet and the Mediterranean restaurant, plus it is also available in the 2 snack bars. The snack bar by the adult pool has wood fired pizza ovens and is open from noon till 1 or 2 am each day. There is also a small buffet selection and burgers and hot dogs available here. The other snack bar is located by the kids water park and offers the same selections, but no wood burning pizza ovens. Dinner is either the buffet, or one of 3 Ala-cart restaurants. The ala-carte options are Italian, Mediterranean or Mexican. This trip were ate at the Italian and Mexican and enjoyed them both. You need reservations for the ala-carte's and those are done in the main lobby every morning. You can resterve up to one week in advance.
We traveled with Nollitours and learned while there that because of that we had extra privileges. With Nollitours we were able to receive unlimited ala-carte reservations, plus free WiFi in the lobby.
Over all the trip was enjoyable and without incident. Marival offers great value in all categories from food, drink, accommodations ad entertainment. I would recommend this resort to anyone.

1,898 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I went with my son for a week and for the most part enjoyed our stay. When we first arrived at the hotel we checked in and then sat down with a time share rep. We were warned about them ahead of time so we said we were not interested in the tour . The rep would not take no for an answer and kept saying why not. My son kept saying because we don't want too. The rep finally got very mad , stood up and said " your in a different country,think about it" It felt like a threat. Needless to say thins left a very sour taste in my mouth and I was quite upset for the rest of the day. I was a little parinoid for the reat of the trip thinking this guy might do something. Other than that we had a lot of fun.
The room had a nice view and was clean. it did have a musty smell to it. I guess just from the high humidity.
There were lots of fun activities and a good gym.
The food was good for the most part but I found it was cooked with a lot of salt.
The drinks were ok but were served in plastic cups. I understand its safer than glass but when cleaning they were just dunked in soapy water a few times and then rinsed. There was no actual scrubbing them that I saw.
The beach was amazing. it was flat with no rocks at all.
The staff were very friendly as well.
We met many very nice people here.
I choose to remember all the good things about our stay and would consider going back.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay. Excellent beach, pool. agree with previous reviewers re the beach staff. The small hobbie cat was available for no charge but it was usually too rough to take out. The large cat cost $8 per person. Internet charges were very high. Buffet food was disappointing and the house wine was undrinkable. The other restaurants were superb although we had to pay $20 to $30 for a bottle of decent wine

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
High Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed the the Marival mid December and have to say it was one of the best holidays we have had. We have travelled to many all inclusives and did not have high expections going into the Marival based on age and reviews - but were extremely impressed and pleasantly surprised. The hotel is lovely and well kept from entrance to beach front.

Our room was a two bedroom suite (not much more expensive than a regular room) It had a bedroom with king bed on the main level with its own bath , an upper loft level with a master suite that includes a king bed, full bath and private balcony, then an open kitchen/dining living area with a 3rd bath off the living area and an main balcony.... each room had a tv --- so three baths and three tv's (no fights ha) Felt like home and made for an great family vacation. The hotel is spread out over a large peice of property so most rooms are close to the beach and most have a partial ocean view at minimum.

We booked with Nolitours and were allowed to book a la carte for 7 nights if we wanted to . The reservation system is easy and accomodating. Book reservations for all the restaurants easily on the first day of our trip with and each one was fantastic. The Italian was a favorite but the Mexican was amazing as well. Great food and service, felt like we were 5 star dining ! From the reservation lady to the maitre d" everyone was very accomodating, we were even able to change times and add people to our reservation last minute. Just a tip being patient and pleasant here goes along way. Make sure to have the Mexican Coffee after dinner --- its quite a show when they make it at your table and light it on fire!

The beach is fantastic - likely one of the best locations along this strip of beach for sure ( we have stayed at many different resorts on the same beach in Nuevo Vallarta) Soft clean sand, great (flat) to run and walk on. Fun waves to play in. The resort offers kayaks, boogie board (all in great shape) and easy to arrange to take out. They even have surf boards (small rental fee) which was so handy to give actual surfing a bit of a try and not have to leave the resort to try it. Plenty of beach chairs and huts for shade - as long as we were up before 10 we had no trouble finding good ones. Never any trouble around the pools for space - especially the adult pool.

Entertainment staff did a great job of keeping everyone entertained. From encouraging volleyball participation to water games... or just reminding you to come to the show. They worked hard at getting to know the guests (much more than other resorts) especially Carlos, great job!! If you travel with kids that like to be involved.... this resort is great. Day activities that actually happened, kids always running around in crowns that they had just made or some activity going on. I have travelled with kids for 20 years lol - so I have seen resorts through the eyes of a parent at different stages..... I wish I would have discovered this one when my kids were younger. Many hotels talk of kids programs.... this one delivers! Even fantastic kids buffet at the main buffet - totally caters to them. My 20 something kids had lots of fun too haha --- pizza bar open till 3 am great pizza and beer! Disco where most of the young adults wander in too - allows them to meet others in their age group. They had a decent gym that they used often, ping pong, shuffleboard, golf ...... and on and on! Nolitours had a free tour from the hotel into Puerto Vallarta. 7 pm to 10 pm on Wed,,,,, check it out. We were dropped off by the Malacon and they had an event similar to Taste of Edmonton ( many local restaurants selling tickets to sample their food) and a fiesta --- Lots of fun and a Free opportunity to go into the city and check things out. Nolitour reps were very helpful - go see them and use them for advice and day trips.

Yes, the time share pressure sucks --- but I have to say that is my only complaint. To the hotel: less pressure at the start of the holiday and people would more likely purchase your units. Your hotel is one of the ones we would acutally consider, it sells itself but the pressure to attend a time share presentation that is suppose to be 90 min ,,, turns into 3 hours and makes people feel bad if they are not ready on the spot to purchase leaves a bad taste in your guests mouth!! Thats too bad - because your resort is worthy of people considering a purchase if that is truely watch a guest is considering.

Overall - this resort has a bit of it all and would suit lots of different travel types. We have probably travelled to over 30 different resorts, many of them very good but I think our stay at the Marival will put it up close to the top of our list - we will be back!

Uruapan, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Unprofessional staff, rude and an absolute robbery. My girlfriend made a reservation with her credit card. I arrived at 1:00 in the morning from a long trip. The security guard could not direct me
to the Club a section of the compound. after finally finding my way to my room I was summoned at 1:30 am to go to front desk to complete the reservation . Got there and was told i had to pay in cash $200 or leave the hotel This with an approved credit card as security. Further more was told I had to wear a bracelet. I asked them if this could have wait until the morning. The guard came over and told me I couldn't and to wear the bracelet or to leave the premises. Complete morons.
Total for a lousy mediocre room $400. In the morning discovered hundreds of package people who paid a fraction of my bill roaming noisily the premises. Absolutely to avoid at any cost!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Guest,
We thank you for bringing to our attention your experience at Marival Resort & Suites. However, as you already know all our guests need to pay their stay before being assigned a room. In your case we had the information that you would pay, upon arrival, the difference between double and single occupancy. As all inclusive Resort from the arrival to departure, guests need to wear a bracelet all the time which identifies them as guests. Our rates can be different if you book in advance, otherwise at the hotel will be apply rack rates. As you know, New Years’ week is the highest season for the hotel.
Gibsons, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We have stayed at the Marival twice and are heading back for a third. my 6 year old LOVES the place and it has a good balance for families! food is phenomenal, staff are friendly, personable and aim to please. we are all looking forward to our visit this winter

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I just returned from a trip to Marival Resorts and Suites with my family. I must say that there were many positives with this resort:
1. The beach is absolutely fantastic- miles long with beautiful sand
2. The housekeeping staff did a wonderful job keeping the rooms clean each day
Some areas of concern:
1. Do not believe the hype about the teen center, because it was never open of all of the days I was there, my 15 year old was a bit disappointed with this.
2. The timeshare push was too demanding- they even had someone posted down on the road before the gate telling you that you could not go to presentations at other hotels. I told her that I was only going on a bike ride with my husband- this was extremely pushy!
I had planned to go on the presentation, and was even offered 5 zip lines to do it, but decided against it when an existing owner warned us against going on the presentation because it would actually take 4 hours instead of 1.5 as promised. Her brother had just taken the tour the day prior and had been called stupid when he did not buy. I was not interested in being treated this way, so called it off- not worth it for me.
3. We had to get up at 6:45 to "save" seats on the beach to accommodate 5 people in our
party. It really seemed crazy.
4. very unfriendly beach rental staff. Getting a boogie board was very difficult. There was always red flags only on our area of the beach because the security staff were too lazy to change the flags when lifeguards cleared the beach.
5. We were charged more for our all inclusive fee than others- especially locals. We were informed about this by our taxi driver as we were driving up- he frequents the hotel often.
6. Finally, the worst: My son and I both got food poisoning the second night of our stay, so we were very sick for two days.

My other son, husband and mom all had good food experiences, so I was happy for them, but over all it was a pretty bad trip for the two of us.

Unfortunately due to the reasons I listed, we may not return.

Room Tip: Away from adult pool bar- which is open until 2am
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear guest, we thank you so much for taking the time in expressing your thoughts and concerns about your stay. Please find below our comments.
*Teen Activities: we have activities for teens at our games room open from 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. We also offer water polo and aquatic basket ball at the activities pool. Rappel, soccer, bike tour and beach volleyball are other activities where teens can participate and enjoy during their stay.
*Club vacation staff: for security reasons there is a person on the main gate warning our guests not to attend other timeshare presentations to avoid them any inconvenience.
*Club Vacation presentation: we are shocked for this inappropriate behavior and what had happened was unacceptable as far as Marival Vacation Club standards go, if by any chance you know the name of the person please let us know at the email gsmanager@marival.com.mx, for your information these remarks were already forwarded to our Vacation Club Manager, who is reviewing and working on how our staff is approaching and treating our guests.
*Beach seats: we have more than 1,000 long chairs around the pool and beach; however some areas are in more demand than others.
*Red flag: we are sorry for the inconvenience you may have felt but we set up the flags by the advice given by harbor master, these measures are taken for the security of all our guests and to avoid any accident.
*Hotel rates: for your information we have different prices depending on the season and sometimes we have discounts on low season.
*Food poisoning: we are very surprised for this comment, as you know it is a very delicate situation and this implications must prove that a certain amount of guests suffered as well at the same time, but we do not have any other report from our guests.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in a near future and have the chance to show you how much we care our guests. Rest assured that we will follow up your observations because feedback from our guests is very important and help us to improve our services and facilities.

Been to Marival Resort & Suites? Share your experiences!