“I can see why so many love this place, but it wasn't quite for us” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta Riviera Nayari

Save Saved
You added Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta Riviera Nayari to your Saves list
Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta Riviera Nayari
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Nuevo Vallarta y Paseo de los Cocoteros no 53, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico (Formerly Marival Residences & World Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Hotel virtual tour
Offers & Announcements
Save 40% + Free Upgrade
Ranked #3 of 24 hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Santa Monica, California
“I can see why so many love this place, but it wasn't quite for us”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We loved the food, the pool and our penthouse suite. It was awesome having our own pool in the room. The staff were unbelievably helpful and flexible (especially regarding my daughter's food). Our only issues were that we missed the beach and that we had a challenging time checking out.

First the good stuff: My husband was very concerned that there were only a few restaurants. However, the menu changes daily and the staff will alter menu items to suit your tastes. For example, my younger daughter only eats very plain food, so we could order her a steak from the grill, regardless of where we were eating. The service was fabulous -- not too fast and not too slow. They're so clever that they do a buffet lunch on Saturday because that's when the most people are coming and going. The cocktails/drinks at the pool came quickly and the staff just seemed to know when you wanted another one. We did tip, but I saw great service being given to everyone.

We loved that we didn't have to pay extra for cabanas. Yes, it meant that we had to catch one around breakfast time, but it also meant that we could give it to someone when we were done, and we got one a few times when someone left for the day. We also liked that there wasn't the chair saving that happens at some resorts. Yes, there were chairs saved, but the people almost always showed up and there were plenty of chairs available.

The room was perfect. The girls had brought homework, and the kitchen island and dining table were great for that. It was really nice having two bathrooms and space that wasn't a bedroom. It meant that we didn't feel on top of one another in the room. Having the penthouse meant that when the adults were tired, we could return to the room and the girls could play in the pool for a bit longer. The girls also had breakfast twice on the rooftop deck.

The beach thing is our own fault. I should have realized that we wouldn't be happy without easy access to the beach. It is super easy to get to the beach using the shuttle service. The waitstaff at the beach club were awesome and incredibly helpful. The beach itself was lovely too. We just missed our morning walks on the beach in our pajamas.

Our other issue was when we checked out. My father-in-law was ill and my husband decided that we had to cut our trip short. (This ended up being for the best as he passed away the day after we returned from our trip.) My husband went to the front desk to explain the situation and see what we needed to do in order to check out early. We weren't trying to get any money back (we bought insurance), we just wanted to ensure that we could check out smoothly. The next day, it took over an hour to check out. We thought we were done and the shuttle driver asked us for a slip of paper we didn't have. When my husband went back to the front desk to ask for it, he was told that he needed to hand in the bracelets (that you wear at all times at the resort) or be charged $50 apiece. He had to go back to the room to get the ones we had left there and get the one I was wearing. This process took another 15 or so minutes. We were already stressed because we had to leave our vacation early, and they seemed to make it as difficult as possible.

With all that, we might return to this resort. We had a fabulous, relaxing time, ate great food and, despite multiple warnings from prior reviews, we found the beds to be very comfortable.

(Beware, however, confusing the two resorts. Marival Residences is a sleepy, upscale resort. Marival Resorts is a loud, boisterous resort with thumping music at the pool and watered-down drinks.)

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the penthouse is amazing. Having an ocean view room was wonderful too, as I co...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

915 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

This is my 5th trip to Marival Residences and it pains me to give it 3 stars, but there were too many issues to ignore on my trip from March 7-14. I am a platinum owner and traveled with my daughter, son, daughter-in-law, and 2 year old grandson.

From the get-go, this trip was not as smooth. Email correspondence with member services was not as prompt as usual. Questions regarding transfers went unanswered. I finally resorted to Carlos, the chief concierge, who was very prompt and helpful in answering my questions. He is such an asset to the hotel!

Check-in was smooth with the usual request for us to attend the owners meeting. Because my husband was not present, I was not permitted to attend. Though this is a sales presentation, I was somewhat interested in hearing what is new.

On entering our residence 310, a two bedroom unit, we found the air conditioner leaking water all over the floor in the living room. Maintenance and housekeeping was called, quickly fixing the leak and changing the carpet, but the AC never worked well during the entire week. Shades on the living room windows would help tremendously as afternoon sun is intense and heats up the room. Other housekeeping issues: shower head in guest bath spit water, broken handle on faucet remained broken all week. Kitchen was minimally equipped, missing a bottle opener, dish soap, and dish towels. Requests for soap and towels were ignored, which made it a bit difficult to clean bottles for our 2 year old. Beds are still hard, so request a mattress topper.

My main disappointment centers around service, which is a painful area to discuss. Many of the servers have been at the resort since we began coming in 2011 and we really like them! Though occupancy seemed low at the resort, service was not as attentive as in the past. It was frustrating to have to ask for coffee, cream, juice, missing cutlery or other items several times before they (maybe, hopefully!) appeared. It seems that there was a team approach to service, with two or more waiters caring for each table. I found I was asking two people for the same thing and a lack of accountability as one server thought the other was taking care of things. Also, dining wasn't kid friendly. The requested high chair had to be requested many times with a long wait. Also, they have eliminated the buffet items at Ommagio, which were great to quickly feed a little one. Now they've gone with a children's menu, and food doesn't come out until the adults are served. One evening we waited so long for our coffee and dessert that we ended up leaving before signing our check! These issues were really frustrating.

Several times we resorted to room service for breakfast, but found that frustrating as well. Out of the three times that we ordered, twice we were missing our side orders of bacon and sausage. Haha...guess they were helping us watch our waistlines!

On the plus side, we enjoyed great food, drinks and weather and did have a nice relaxing vacation. We took advantage of the lobster special one day, and had our lobsters grilled and served for lunch with delicious rice and vegetables. The tapas at Insu were delicious and most meals at Omaggio were fantastic, with the exception of one meal. One night I ordered the catch of the day, which was supposed to be mahi mahi. The fish definitely wasn't mahi mahi, and tasted very strong with a strange texture and I had to send it back. By the time the waiter came back around, it was too late to reorder.

Something new this year is the Owners Beach Club at the sister resort. It is a lovely addition, with lounge chairs, tables, umbrellas, a bar and restaurant. The food and service there were wonderful. The VIP beach club, available to visitors at the Residences, was also enjoyable and provided ample shade. No problems getting sunbeds at either location. The menus at the two beach clubs are different, and it was nice to have some variety. Shuttle service to the beach clubs was great with minimal wait times. We enjoyed long walks on the beach, which is flat and goes on for miles. One night we ate at Niksan, the sushi restaurant, which was delicious with huge portions. Definitely worth the separate charge. While dining at Niksan, we took advantage of the complimentary nanny service, which was excellent. Our spa massage appointments were awesome, as usual, too.

My complaints are things that I would have brought to attention when filling out the customer comment card at the end of our visit. Unfortunately, I was not offered that opportunity. While checking out, I found several issues with my bill. As platinum members, we receive free room service and laundry service. These charges appeared on my bill and it took several tries for the young man at the desk to get it right. He didn't offer me a comment card, and my airport shuttle was waiting for me by the time we got things straightened out.

I have always loved my vacations at Marival Residences, but maybe it's time for a reality check by trying somewhere new. Hopefully they can work out these kinks!

Room Tip: Rooms on floors 3 or higher have an ocean view. Ask for a mattress topper on arrival.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta Riviera Nayari, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear member,

We thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Marival Residences & World Spa, feedback from our guests is really important to us because this information help us to improve our services and facilities as we strive for excellence. We are happy to know that your stay was enjoyable all in all.
However, we are very concerned about all the incidents you have been through during your most recent stay with us. Kindly be advised that our general manager is already following up to each of your remarks with the appropriate leaders of the hotel and necessary measures will be taken immediately to prevent this kind of issues from happening ever again. We would´ve loved you to make the hotel aware of all your concerns while still on property to be able to amend it and make your stay more pleasent.
Please be so kind to contact us prior to your next visit on customercare@marivalgroup.com for any assistance you may need since members are first for us and we would like to pamper you in a special way next time and our general manager would be glad to meet you personally.
Assuring you of our best attention, we remain
Oakville, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We just returned from 6 nights at the Marival Residences & World Spa and are wishing we could have stayed 6 months. Everything about this resort exceeded our expectations (and our expectations were quite high). Our bedroom penthouse was so spacious, clean, and well furnished that we enjoyed our time in the room almost as much as we enjoyed our time at the restaurants, pool, and beach. Our son especially enjoyed the private plunge pool on the upper balcony of our suite. Amazing views from there as well. The food was incredible and comparable to the best restaurants we've tried in Canada and abroad. We ate at Omaggio, Lemongrass, Insu, and at the private VIP beach area and all of our meals were exceptional. The service at all of the restaurants was also amazing and we especially enjoyed our dinners with Fernando at Omaggio.
Carlos, the Chief Concierge, was extremely helpful and ensured that we had everything we needed at our disposal. We enjoyed seeing his smiling face everytime we passed through the lobby.
A special thanks to ILT Golf Vacations for recommending this resort to us.
We are looking forward to returning to Marival Residences as soon as we can!
P.S. We generally don't post reviews on Tripadvisor but we felt this one was too special not to recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Marival world residences is a lovely resort with clean rooms, a nice pool, and great food. There is a special beach at the sister resort which is ocean front that is great. Nice beach, great lounge chairs and the wait staff will help you all the time!
The pitch to sell you a Time share includes a look at your drivers license and credit card - illegal in Canada - so not sure why we would agree to it there.
The airport in Mexico is awful, too long to get through (three hours) and the people that work there are not very welcoming. In fact when you finally did get your luggage you were tricked into listening to a time share pitch! Right at the airport.
Will never go back! Even if it were free!

Room Tip: Pick one above third floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta Riviera Nayari, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Traveler
Thank your for taking the time to post a review of your vacation experience. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your accomodations, the quality of food and the beach club during your stay here. We are sorry to hear you felt discouraged by the airport experience. If you ever decide to give our hotel a new opportunity, please send us an e-mail at chiefconcierge@marivalresidences.com when planning your vacation, to make sure we take care of any special request to make your stay more enjoyable.
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

This was my trip to "Nuevo" Puerto Vallarta and came with a group of about 40 that was part of a travel club. From all the reviews I read about your hotel here and other sites I was very excited for my vacation and when I stepped off the shuttle from the airport my first glimpse of this hotel was even more impressive. My work history consists of 35+years in the hotel industry all of it in guest services so I kind of know what it takes to give great service and impressing guests. Your hotel did not disappoint! I have never stayed at a 4 diamond property before and really didn't know what to expect. Tried the all inclusive option at other hotels but they were nothing even close to this. The food at all of your restaurants including the Marival Resort was top notch. A nice added amenity that was available as well as the complimentary shuttle to get us there.

I am sorry I didn't make a list of the employees from beginning to end who we came in contact with during our stay that made it special because it would have been a long one. All of them were not only professional, friendly, helpful, smiling but ALWAYS welcoming. I loved your World Spa too and talk about being pampered. I thought I knew what that meant but this place gave it a whole new meaning. Had a once in a lifetime massage that just was amazing and nothing like the kind I get back home. Can't wait to try that again and the sauna too was a nice way to finish up.

We were given an upgrade to a 3 bedroom/kitchen suite and let me tell you I was speechless. This place was so big and luxurious. A full sun deck that wrapped around from one bedroom to the other! Fully stocked refrigerator, and washer dryer. Very peaceful and didn't hear a peep from other occupied rooms. On our way to dinner one night we came across your Jacuzzi which I have to tell you I have never found a more pleasant existence then this. We were there often at night and besides being tucked away among the palms and other plants, the music, while staring at the stars, sound of the waterfall, and beds made this a very special place.

My only complaint and it's not really even that since everything was so wonderful but it would be appreciated the next time I get a chance to stay that I hope the beds are more comfortable.They were a bit on the firm side and not easy to sleep on but other then that I can see why you earned the reputation that you have.

Thank you for giving us a wonderful vacation!

Room Tip: Rooms above 2 ensure a water view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

The property is beautiful with spacious suites. The service was great until we said no to the timeshare deal and then it declined. The property is not on the beach so you have to go to the sister property if you want to enjoy the beach. This was inconvenient but it is available that way.
I would still have given it a good rating and recommended it had it not been for the horrendous last day experience that I find so abhorrent that I cannot recommend it to anyone. With vacant rooms and our flight cancelled at the last minute and no place to stay late at night they attempted to charge us for one night a price as much as our entire week stay and effectively take advantage of our situation with 4 little kids in tow. We ended up having to leave their property and find another place to stay whole they had rooms sitting empty instead of charging us the same nights rate we had paid the rest of the week. They did this because they thought we had no other choice and we would pay - highway robbery.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel. We are deeply sorry to read you felt like we did not take well care of you regarding your canceled flight. We would like to clear up that when you buy a hotel-flight package like you did, the cost tends to reduce. Nevertheless, we gladly offered you an important discount on our regular rate since we are always willing to assist our guests with anything they may need. We are happy to know that your stay was pleasant tough, and we hope to have de chance to host you back in the near future.
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I was staying at this resort as part of a work trip. We were in a 4 bedroom on the 5th floor - the view was STUNNING! The décor in the room was beautiful. Our beds were hard. Other guests said their beds were great so maybe they're in the process of swapping them out. We had a few room issues - no hot water the 1st day, a shower head burst on the side and flooded the bathroom but they were quick to come fix the issues.
The food was delicious! Great service, wonderful menu options. We loved the Tapas restaurant on the roof - beautiful at sunset!
The pool is very relaxing, no swim up bar but the staff was great to bring you drinks :) AWESOME guacamole!!! The large jacuzzi is tucked away - didn't find it the 1st few days! Beautiful!
The villas are beautiful! You felt like you were in someone's home. Beautiful backyard with a private pool.
You have to take the shuttle to the Marival Resort in order to get to the beach, that part isn't my favorite BUT once you get to the private beach club, it's worth the hassle! great beach service, beautiful location on the sand. Bali beds, etc.
The Marival Residences is a golfer and tennis player's paradise with great access to all the authentic culture that Puerto Vallarta has to offer!
I gave this resort a 4 star due to the beds (I still slept great!) and the fact that the property itself is NOT beachfront. other that that, it was FABULOUS.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view! The villas don't have a view BUT they are GREAT for f...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Traveler
Thank you for writing a comment about our resort on this web site. We value guests' comments as they help us identify areas of opportunity in our connstant efforts to provide our guests with unique vacation experiences. We are sorry if the shower head mishap caused any discomfort to you. We are pleased to know that you found the quality of food in the restaurants to your complete satisfaction, as well as the pool areas. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. Please send us an e-mail to chiefconcierge@marivalresidences.com when planning your next vacation, to make sure we will take care of any special request you may have.

Been to Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta Riviera Nayari? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta Riviera Nayari

Address: Blvd Nuevo Vallarta y Paseo de los Cocoteros no 53, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico (Formerly Marival Residences & World Spa)
Location: Mexico > Pacific Coast > Nayarit > Riviera Nayarit > Nuevo Vallarta
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Kitchenette Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#2 Business Hotel in Nuevo Vallarta
#3 Luxury Hotel in Nuevo Vallarta
#3 Spa Hotel in Nuevo Vallarta
#3 Romantic Hotel in Nuevo Vallarta
#3 On the Beach Hotel in Nuevo Vallarta
#3 Top resorts Hotel in Nuevo Vallarta
#4 Family Hotel in Nuevo Vallarta
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$
Hotel Class:4.5 star — Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta Riviera Nayari 4.5*
"There is nothing like the luxurious four diamond all inclusive Marival Residences & World Spa", WINNER OF THE 2012 TRAVELER'S CHOICE AWARDS #1 ALL INCLUSIVE RESORT! Unmatched accommodations, a food and beverage experience in a class by itself, a Free Tour and unlimited free golf at PGA courses are all included!Located in Riviera Nayarit's Nuevo Vallarta, this is the 1st all-inclusive resort to offer luxurious one to four bedroom Residences -- perfect for couples and families alike -- actual homes-away-from-home, spacious and inviting -- 1400 sq ft is the smallest! The all inclusive package is "seriously all inclusive" -- gourmet dining indoors and out, 24/7 room service, international wine bar, rooftop sky lounge and tapas restaurant, a Private full service VIP Beach Club, UNLIMITED rounds of golf at signature champoinship courses. Tour Time- Take One Free! Catamaran Sailing, Sea Lions, Zip Lining, Pueblos, Pub Crawl or City tours… PLUS, additional select tours like Dolphin Encounters from only $30..Romance is always in the air here, and free weddings and special honeymoon bonuses make it a perfect place to celebrate love. Families get the best of all worlds with separate bedrooms for the kids, a full activities program and even free nannies! Top all this off with the unique "world spa" featuring nine different therapy rooms and special treatments from around the world and it's easy to see why this resort is rated the #1 All Inclusive experience.Marival Residences & World Spa -- A world apart, in a class by itself! ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, Priceline, Travelocity, BookIt.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Otel, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta Riviera Nayari reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Marival Vallarta
Marival Grand Club Suites Nuevo Vallarta
Marival Grand Hotel
Marival Vacation Club
Club Marival Mexico

If you own or manage Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta Riviera Nayari, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.