“The Best Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marival Residences & World Spa

Save Saved
You added Marival Residences & World Spa to your Saves list
Marival Residences & World Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Nuevo Vallarta y Paseo de los Cocoteros no 53, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 24 hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“The Best Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Where do I begin? First, my husband and I was suppose to stay at the Marival Suite and Spa for our Honeymoon and when we went to check in they upgraded us to the Marival Residence because we was timeshare holders. To make a long story short, this was the best honeymoon present ever. The Marival Residence is hands down in a class by itself. The staff was amazing and the resort is simply a dream. I have never been to a resort where everyone was so nice and pleasant. They even remembered our names and greeted us as we would walk by in the mornings. The staff is hard workers and enjoys their job. We stayed for 6 lovely nights (Oct 21-27) and we didn't want to leave. The rooms was so roomy and modern it was like home. The patio was large and spacious. At first I was a little nervous because it wasn't on the beach but then you can get shuttled back and forth between their sister resort Marival Suites and Spa and you have access to your own private VIP (Marival Residence) section. Their sister resort offered live entertainment but they spoke Spanish during the live entertainment so since we are English speakers we didn't understand any of it. We ended up spending most of our trip at the Residence's. They offer a small night life upstairs on the 6th floor and it over looked the sun set. Overall Neuvo Vallarta was amazing and the Marival Residence was the icing on the cake. We would be back.

Room Tip: There is only 6 floors. The 6th floors are the suites. We stayed on the 3rd floor and was pleased.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences & World Spa, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Traveler
Thank you so much for such a lovely review. We are thrilled to be part of your honeymoon memories, and would certainly love to welcome you back on your every anniversary.

910 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Wausau, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband, children (ages 6, 5, 2, and 1) and I stayed here for 11 days in February 2012. We LOVED it, and are probably going to return this winter. It is a beautifully decorated resort. It is relatively small, but this was nice for us with our young brood. The guests seemed to be mostly retired couples, with a few families sprinkled in. (not a ton of kids)

This review is for the young families that are contemplating going here. I didn't see too many kid-centric reviews before we came, so here goes...

Food: we thought the food was gourmet-quality, and there was also the standard fare for our young ones (quesadillas, pizza, hotdogs, mac & cheese). The wait staff was usually pretty good, some more enthusiastic than others. Drinks were just fine. We usually ate dinner at 5:30 (or whenever the restaurants opened for dinner), and never had to wait. We realized that the restaurant off the lobby was great at bringing out the kids' food pretty quickly.

Pools: there is a zero-entry pool that is only about 2 feet deep. It was awesome that we could sit and wait for our lunches to be served while the kids played in the pool! The other large pool was great - my husband and I would take turns swimming laps in the pre-dawn hours. It is about 50 meters long --- great for laps. It also has a ledge that the kids can stand & play on, and the deeper part is only about 6 feet deep. Hot tub is great, too, but kids aren't supposed to go in it. There is also a pool cart that has books, magazines, sunscreen, and bottled water.

Rooms: We started out in a room that overlooked the pool, but we really wanted an ocean view. So we upgraded to a penthouse with a private pool on the roof. Both rooms were beautifully decorated, but we loved the penthouse! It was great to have a pool on the roof because we could be up there while some/all of the kids were napping. The balconies on all rooms are very spacious and nice to sit out on. The rooms are just like an apartment, including in-room laundry, kitchen, dining table, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms (one in the master bedroom), and separate living area (with a pull-out couch). Loved having laundry -- this means you can pack light! After staying here, going to a regular hotel room sounds unappealing. We had a 2-room/2 bathroom suite, and put 3 kids in one room, and put the baby in the extra bathroom...and had a room to ourselves. (I always wonder if the bathrooms are big enough for a crib, so that's why I've included this very important information!)

Beach access: you can go out (and back in) a gate behind the tennis court (you just have to pick up the phone on the gate, and ask Security to let you out/in), walk down the street (lined with mansions on beach side, and a few construction sites on the other side), and be on the beach in about 5-7 minutes. This was a fun adventure. You can also take a golf cart to the other Marival resort to go to the "VIP" beach area there, which is very nice.

Kids Club: our girls ages 6 & 5 loved it! They still talk about Judith, and her excellent face painting abilities. There is also a big swingset on the grounds. Our package included several hours of Nanny service, so we hired Judith one night to stay with the kids. It was so fun to get out by ourselves, and we went over to the VIP beach area at the other Marival and sat on the plush beach bed and watched the sun set. I didn't think I'd ever leave the kids with a babysitter in a foreign country, but Judith is just great and we all felt very comfortable. (Judith was raised in California, but is from Puerto Vallarta.)

Sister resort - the other Marival: don't waste a meal there, unless it's at the VIP beach area for Marival Residences guests. It was a fun diversion to check out the kids' pool there, but it was really crowded the day we were there, so that was just a one-time thing.

WalMart: it was about a 20-min. cab ride. I had to go there to buy diapers, wipes, baby food, crackers, snacks. I felt a little on-guard going outside of the tourist area alone. Don't know that I was in any danger, just got a feeling.

The only complaints we had were:
- husband got a very nasty gastrointestinal bug, but fortunately he had brought some Cipro. But was very ill for about 3 days.
- got the run-around from the front desk while getting a room upgrade. It took lots of persistence and time (about a day & a half) on my husband's part to get us into the penthouse. (It was worth the hassle though. And the extra money.)
- annoying timeshare ploys, but we aren't shy about saying no. Just steered clear.

I would highly recommend this resort! Go there!

Room Tip: Penthouse on outside corner was great!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences & World Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Traveler
We appreciate that you have written this review on this web site. We found it very insightful and are certain that other travelers will find it very useful as well. We look forward to welcoming you back in our resort in the near future.
Prospect, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I returned home last night from a fabulous week (Oct 20-27, 2012) at this resort. There were 7 of us traveling - me, my husband, my daughter and two sons and our friends who are a married couple. I have been all over the world, done almost 40 cruises, done other AIs (all-inclusives) and chartered sailboats in the Caribbean with private chefs & captains but Marival Residences & World Spa has beat them all!

This place is absolutely beautiful and has the best food I have ever tasted, hands down! The menus are gourmet and have so many choices, it is a good thing I was there for a week so I could sample as many as possible. There are 3 restaurants (no buffets other than a brunch buffet they have on Saturdays - they still offer regular menu as well though). No reservations are ever needed. Many nights we would go to one restaurant but the kids would want something from another restaurant so our waiters would let them order off of the other restaurants menu without having to leave us. On our last night there, my husband, oldest son & friend brought back tuna they had caught while on a fishing excursion that day and Chef David in Lemmon Grass prepared it for us - my husband can officially check off "have fish I caught professionally prepared by a master chef" off his bucket list. Also, I wanted fried Oreos on my last night there but they weren't on the menu since it was "Italian Night." Somehow my waiter, Rolando, magically produced freshly fried Oreos for my dessert! Thank you Rolando!

My friend used the spa twice and she said the first experience was amazing. The second time was better than the first so I'm not sure what words to use - super amazing?!

While it is an AI with all the basics included it also includes some excursions at no additional cost. These are a dolphin encounter, sea lion excursion, zip-lining, sunset sail on a sailboat, catamaran excursion (7 hrs long) that visits a quaint village & takes you snorkeling, golf (there is a $50 per person cart fee but my boys got to play a Jack Nicklaus course with no green fees), and a guided city tour of Puerto Vallarta. There is a cab fee to get to the excursions (to get to most of the excursions it just costs about $7 one way, the most was about $50 for round-trip service to the golf course my boys went to). We did every one of them except the city tour (we had gone into the city on Sunday night - family night in the city). The staff at these excursions were the best! Everyone of them loved their job and it showed. We had the time of our lives! I estimate that the value of these excursions to be about $725 and up (depending upon how much golfing you would do).

The staff is outstanding (there were a few "lost in translation" moments but overall it was first class). Rolando, Chef David, the Concierge group, Reggie, Gil, Jesus, Joel, Fatima....all first rate! While our room was always clean, housekeeping could be hit or miss on remembering to give us water bottles, extra towels and linens for the pull out sofa.

The rooms are set up like condo units. We had a 2 bedroom unit that was about 1800 sq ft with a huge balcony - fridge was stocked with drinks and although room service was included, we didn't use it. Beds are very firm so we had to ask for some cushion toppers and they were able to put them on all the beds (included pull out sofa).

Pool & grounds were spotless and so very beautiful. This resort isn't directly on the beach (just a short golf cart ride away at their sister property - Marival Resort & Suites) but is quite close and has an ocean view from most of the rooms. We always had a ride when we went to the beach (every day). Once at the beach, they have a private area set up for Residence guests with plush beach chairs and beach beds. Food and drinks here were also very outstanding. Guacamole was out of this world! Marival Residence guests can use all of the amenities & restaurants at the Marival Resorts & Suites property (I'd recommend eating meals at the Residences) but the Marival Resorts & Suites guests DO NOT have access to the amenities & restaurants at the Residences.

Lastly, I know Mexico has been getting its fair share of bad publicity for safety but let me tell you, not once did any of us feel unsafe (even when strolling on the Melacon in Puerto Vallarta well into late evening, biking away from the resort or strolling along the Marina area). Everyone we encountered from store employees to taxi drivers were nothing but friendly!

I cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: Higher floors (4 and up) have an ocean view).
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences & World Spa, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Traveler
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our resort. We take great pleasure at serving discriminating travelers, and your satisfaction is our greatest reward. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Avon, Colorado

Hi All,

This was our Second Stay @ the Marival Residences in Nuevo. This Time we brought our 5 Year Old daughter and the Nanny (Grandma). Our Daughter enjoyed the "Bug" Club which is there version of the Kids Club. This Service is included and the staff were very Friendly and Loved Hanging out with our Daughter. The Pools are also well suited for young visitors with a very large kids Pool Area and Playground. One of the Large Pools has a gentle slop, were kids can play without going into the deeper area.

To Do List:

Visit the Insu Roof Top Pool During the Day, Nobody up there and the Bar is Open all Day.
Take the Golf Cart to the Beach Club Each Day, Nice Breeze and the Coldest Beer.
Apps @ Insu (Tuna Slider was our favorite) and watch the Sunset Every Day.
Go Into PVR and Enjoy all the Great Shopping and Restaurants, Hit old Town for the Best Food.
Tip the Staff, They work hard and really appreciate it.

Good to Know:

If you Like a Softer Feel to the Bed, Order the Pillow Top from Housekeeping.
They Will Stock your Fridge with Beers, Just give the staff a nice Tip.
The Sushi Restaurant is not part of the All-Inclusive.
Gym is never Crowded, nice way to Sweat out some drinks from the Night before.
Don't Bother Eating at the Sister Resort, unless you are eating at the Beach Club (Good Food There).
Best Time to Visit is during the Non-Peak Season, Feels Like you have the whole place to yourself.

Room for Improvement:

Housekeeping Staff seemed to forget to Stock Coffee Packets and Shampoo on a Regular Basis, On One Occasion they did forget to clean the Kitchen.

We just Got Back on Saturday and would Go back Again if we did not have to get back to reality.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Rooms on Top Floors are Better, Try and Get the Upgrade to Roof Top or Ocean View.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Traveler
Thank you for posting quite an insightful review on this web site. It will certainly be of great interest to other travelers as it was to us. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
San Mateo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Marival is the first all inclusive resort and spa I have had chance to stay at and it blew all other hotels experiences away. The food was outstanding! If you are staying there long enough you get a feel for how the restaurants operate. I recommend Omaggio for breakfast they have the best breakfast menu, but you still can't go wrong if you order room service for breakfast. For lunch my recommendation would be Lemmon Grass (that's how it is spelled, not a misspelling by me) they have a menu that will suit any mood you may have for that particular day of your stay. My favorites were the calamari, the salmon burger, and the seafood tostadas! For dinner, there are so many great choices I can't give a good recommendation because all of the restaurants are awesome!

When it comes to drinks, they have everything you could possibly want, but a drink I liked a lot is the Mexican Bull.

The rooms are among the cleanest I have ever had the chance to stay in. It seems like the housekeepers are in the room at least an hour and a half every day you want them to clean.

The rooms have a full kitchen, but I am not sure why you would want to cook with the outstanding room service menu and the on site restaurants. However, each room does have dishes, glasses, and utensils just in case you need them or have a few people visit your room.

All of the service staff genuinely seems like they enjoy serving you and this is very reassuring given the amount you pay to go there. That said, it is worth every penny!!!

Room Tip: A western facing suite on the higher levels will allow you to witness breathtaking sunsets.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Traveler
Thank you for posting such a nice review of our resort on this web site. We value your comments, as we aim at making each guest's experience unique and memorable. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Costa Mesa, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I'll keep it short. This place is awesome !!
We travel a lot all over the world - we did a number of all-ins before and none compared to Marival Residences. The restaurants were top notch. It is not all-in spaghetti and pizza - we are talking seared tuna, filet mignon, delicious lamb, prawns, ceviche, and of course anything you can think of for breakfast ... you name it. It is not just all-in local alcohols - we are talking all in name brands. The fridge is re-filled daily with new beers, sodas, ...
The quality of the Service is unbelievable (Very Very Good) and we are quite picky. You don't have to wait at all to get great food and drinks served pool side or beach side.
We have a three year old - she thoroughly enjoyed the well laid out pools. Don't worry single parents there are also adult only pools. Anyways the resort area is build in such a way that it never feels crowded. The beach area is private. The top floor restaurant/bar is happening - with a lot of high end visitors from outside the resort.

I was going to keep it short ... oops - there are not enough words to describe how good this place really was. Feel free to contact me for details.

Room Tip: The 3 bedrooms have an awesome terrace. The 4 bedrooms are awesome. I can't think of any bedro...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences & World Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Traveler
We would like to say thank you for posting a review on this web site. We value your comments, as we strive to make every guest's experience unique and memorable. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Fremont, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

" All I want to do is tell everyone I know about the most amazing time I had at the Marival Residences. The reviews I had read and the photos I had seen made the place seem almost perfect.

From the moment we easily connected with our pre-paid transportation to the hotel from the airport, to our seamless and peaceful check-in at the Brunello Bar at Marival Residences, I knew we were on our way to a truly lovely girls getaway vacation. Our helpful and courteous bellman brought us to our room in one of the side buildings overlooking one of the 'quiet pools'. Although we did not have an ocean view, it didn't matter at all, as we were so seldom in the room, and when we were, we loved looking out our window or balcony over the entire pool area. The room itself was so lovely and beautifully furnished. We had two bathrooms, which came in handy. The bed itself was the most comfortable bed I have EVER slept in! I did ask for an 'egg crate' mattress foam top, as others had recommended. It was made up with the bedding by the housekeeper right while I was in the room. Each night she did 'turn down' service, arranging the comforter differently each night and left us with an adorable 'towel creation' and something sweet on the pillows.

The day after we arrived we chose our included activities: sea lion experience, canopy (zip line) tour, dolphin experience, and the sunset sailing. All were handled through a company called Vallarta Adventures which was extremely professional, efficient, and safety conscious. All the staff at VA were very knowledgeable, courteous, and super fun to be with. While you can only choose one activity per day/per person, this was plenty for us since we really wanted to spend most of the day lounging by the pool.

Ahh....the pool, or should I say pools? We spent all our time at the main pool but could have opted for the 'quiet pool' areas. We liked being around some of the other people we had met and liked the convenience of being near all the incredible food and drink. We usually ordered from our lounge chairs and had our food and drinks delivered right to us. Everything was delicious and just how we ordered. The drinks kept being refilled, or a new one brought to us, without our even asking. Also, throughout the day, one of the staff would wheel around a cart containing suntan lotion, magazines, and small towels cooled with ice, just in case we got a little too warm. The service....never experienced anything like it! We actually loved the pool area so much we only ventured to the VIP beach area once. Again, we were pampered and treated well there too. We also opted for the ($8/person) hobie cat ride. What fun!

At night we kept returning to the amazing sunsets at the roof top Insu Bar. While enjoying the incredible view we would order our tapas, and usually would never leave to go elsewhere for dinner. Each dish we ordered was better than the next, but my friend went completely crazy for the lamb chops. I think she must have ordered them 4 times during the trip. My personal favorite was the duck spring roll. Super delicious!

We ate at Omaggio for breakfast each day and a couple times for dinner. Delicious food, wonderful service, and the atmosphere of a fine 4-5 star restaurant. After grabbing the American edition of the little 'newspaper' a couple times, they remembered me and would bring it to the table along with our menus each morning. I just love that!

I could go on and on forever about this place. On the last night, my friend said I nailed it on the head when I told her I felt like the Marival Residences was very 'intimate.' By the second day, you feel as if you know all the staff and they know you. Also, because it's not a huge mega-resort, we also got friendly with several people each day by the pool. The quiet of the resort lends itself to striking up conversations and meeting people from near and far.

I am looking forward to returning to the Marival Residences again in the near future.This is the perfect place for couples or a girls getaway. There were a few small kids at the resort but any kid over the age of about 12 would probably be bored. There's nothing much for little kids to do and it's too quiet for them....which is why I adore this place! They're not trying to be something for everyone. They have selected their target market and are doing a fabulous job. This was the most wonderful, affordable, upscale vacation I have EVER been on.

Thank you, thank you Marival Residences for my wonderful vacation!!"

Room Tip: Lower floors look onto the beautiful pool area. Higher floors (4 and up) have ocean view. All the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Traveler
Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review of your vacation at our resort. Your insights are very much appreciated and other travelers will certainly benefit from them. We would love to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Been to Marival Residences & World Spa? Share your experiences!