“Almost Rock Bottom” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo de los Cocoteros 19 - Villa 8 | Bahia de Banderas, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
40% OFF + $1800 CREDIT
Ranked #4 of 24 hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Mexico
“Almost Rock Bottom”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Just returned from the Hard Rock Puerta Vallarta. This property was previously known as the Vallarta Palace which I can accurately guess was not more than a 3 star hotel because even after renovations it still lacks plenty of what Hard Rock promises will be rock star fantasies. To begin with, on arriving there was one bell man, no vallet parking and no welcome towel or drinks common in most upscale resorts. The lobby, although large had one,maybe two small plants which in a tropical area made this resort seem bare and almost boring.

The room made me feel like I just checked into a budget inn when in the bathroom I saw the mirror had pieces around its edges missing. And I was not ammused with the window which is unlocked and allows people in your room to see you sit on the toilet!

I tried my best to make myself comfortable begining the next morning at the buffet. I'll describe the coffee as sub Subway when Subway has stale coffee. The display of foods made you feel that either food is scarce or the resort is under strict budget constraints. But as much as I tried to overlook the buffet I just couldn't when re-heated day old food showed up looking week old. Utensils were not available to take the foods you chose, I had to ask twice for utensils and then two were made available for five differernt foods.

What's good: The best part of the hotel is the front desk staff, concierge, bar staff (outside and inside) and the fabulous Oriental Restaurant. I tried the Oriental restaurant on my third day and that made up for almost everything else; the service, food and manger were outstanding!

What not to try: The buffet and Italian restaurants. My son commented that Stouffers fronzen is better and I felt the service was mediocre at best.

Shows: One very brief show daily, nothing to talk about

What's not so true: I was told the room credit we received was $500 per room. I paid for two rooms but could not combine the credits and even worse,discovered that I could only apply $100 towards the spa services, not as much as I wanted to. The tours are limted to a few which you can apply the credits to, the prices are souped-up and you need to pay a 16% fee for as much credit as you use.

Overall rating: I rate this an O.K. 3.5 Star resort and I have been to many resorts.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
RobertoRoja, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear mrland1,

We thank you so much for sharing your opinion about your last visit to our resort. We strongly believe that communication is the best way to improve hence we spare no effort in ensuring that every voice is attended.

We are saddened to know you did not enjoy completely your visit this time. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay; this is certainly not the image we strive to portray at our resort to our valued Rock Stars. It is our obligation to make our customers feel as they deserve and this is why we regret that you did not feel our smashing service and our Rock Star treatment which is customary to our guests.

We actually urge all of our guests should they experience any inconvenience during their vacation to immediately bring this up to our attention in order to do the proper follow up.

We regret to learn that the food at some of our restaurants did not fulfill your expectations, please be informed that we are continuously revamping our menus and dishes of each of our different restaurants, snacks and in-room dining, as well we are proud to claim we use fresh and first quality products some of them with importation quality nevertheless your comments are being shared with our Executive Chef and our Food & Beverages Manager to take the necessary steps to enrich our gastronomic offer.

As a matter of fact and very respectfully allow me to clarify that the Resort Credits Promotion as any other promotion has some terms and conditions, and since the Rock Spa is one of the most popular spots, we need to set some limits on the amount per room. In addition to that the allowable amounts of Resort Credits for every activity depends on the number of nights and the rate under which you are traveling. We invite you to surf on our official website for further information.

Thank you for mentioning the areas that escaped, such as Zen’s, waiters in the bars, Front Desk & Concierge Teams. We will acknowledge their big effort.

We genuinely would like to change the perception you had this time and we hope you will give us another chance in the near future. Please do not hesitate in contacting us in advance so we can arrange something very special for you and your family.

Take time to be kind!!!

1,626 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I was at the Hard Rock Vallarta for a brief visit. The property is extremely fun and a great fit for music lovers and individuals looking for a good time. There is memorabilia everywhere from the Beatles, RollingStones, Carlos Santana, really a cool place to not only stay at but visit for some music knowledge. It's also quite high tech. There are virtual maps and screens that make it easy to navigate around property. If you love guitars, music, colors that pop, food, and the beach, Hard Rock is your spot.

The rooms are large and modern. They are consist of really fun, colorful decor and a very chilled atmosphere, certainly not your standard hotel. For those looking for a pool area with a fun, vibrant atmosphere there is a adult section by the swimup bar and music playing. There is also a more quiet, relaxing pool area. The gym is decent and again decorated by images of icons. Certainly a cool touch. There are a few restaurant choices as well, plus! The spa area is very nice as well with a great view of the beach! When I went I saw a lot of volleyball players on the beach, definitely a property for those who like to be active as well. Beach + and it's close to the airport.

Staff is very friendly and I found the service to be good as well. Very hospitable team! Worth a visit!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hola Amanda-Kristina,

How are you doing? Thanks a lot for sharing your Hard Rock experience with us and with future travelers. Great pictures by the way.

It seems you really experienced the lifestyle of a Rock n’ Roll Star. We are extremely happy you loved our Rock touches in every corner because you just like us are a music lover, in addition to that you delighted our assorted gastronomic experience, rested in our iconic rooms, not to mention the lively vibe that permeates in every part but above all the glowing service that our Rock Staff provided.

We would be pleased to deck out your stage, open the backdrop and rock your next visit.

Live like a legend!!!
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We came back to the Hard Rock Vallarta two years after our first stay here. It was the Vallarta Palace then and we were a bit worried about staying at the Hard Rock Hotel with our six year old son. We weren't sure how it would be for kids thinking that it might have become a party place.

Our fears were totally unfounded. It's a great place to stay for all. It still has great service. The staff are fabulous. In fact, many of the same staff are still there. We were treated so well by everyone there. They were so friendly. Tito and Julianna were fantastic when we were out by the pool, which was most of the day. So was everyone else for that matter. We spent a good part of the day in the pool with our six year old son. He loved the new water slide and the waterfall over the hot tub. The swim up bar was great as well.

The beach here is superb. Sandy with warm water. Good all around.

We came once before and we'd love to come back. A great place for a vacation!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hey Todd A,

How are you getting on? Thank you much for posting such an encouraging review and for preferring us above others.

It is thrilling to know that your concerns were beaten by the fabulous service provided and that even the smallest one had lots of fun with the new Rock features.

We hope that future Rock travelers find useful your review and that they realize as well that this is still a family-friendly hotel.

Thank you too for emphasize the great job that Tito & Julianna did to turn your visit into a blast; our Rock Staff is indeed the soul of the band.

We are ready to roll out the red carpet, open the curtain and rock your next vacation. Your entire Hard Rock Vallarta family will be waiting for ya with open arms.

Let’s rock together!!!
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

First and foremost I would like that Uriel so so much for all of his help in planning our wedding at the Hard Rock Vallarta. He MADE our trip!! He is such a friendly and kind person, well organized and an extremely hard worker. All of my emails were answered promptly and all questions answered without doubt. My husband and I are continuing to keep in touch with him as we now consider him a friend.

We had a large group of 50 people join us for our wedding which was November 15, 2012. We hosted a welcome dinner the first night we all arrived on the Ciao Terrace. I chose the italian buffet for the meal this night and the food was amazing. Everyone commented on how awesome the fish was! Half of us flew out of Calgary and the others out of Edmonton, which was delayed 4 hours! Unfortunately this group missed out on the majority of the welcome dinner but Uriel and the rest of the staff kept it going for us an extra 45 min so everyone could eat. Two of our guests also didn't get their bags taken off the bus and Uriel and the concierge worked for hours on getting them back that night.

Our guests booked their tours and excursions mostly through Sandra and Lucy of guest services who are both great. Lucy helped me to book 40 of our guests on the Rythms of the Night tour which was quite an ordeal because of the large group but she did a great job and even got some of our friends moved over that had previously booked with another provider. Thank you so much Lucy, you calmed my frazzled bride brain!

The day of the wedding was all that we had asked for and so much more. Uriel and the rest of his staff were always ensuring everything was on time and going according to plan. I didn't get to enjoy any of the cocktail hour food which was Mexican buffet but our guests said it was fantastic. We had our dinner, cocktail hour and reception all on the beach. It was very beautiful but I didn't anticipate the sand being such an issue. It really does end up everywhere! I wouldn't change my decision to have the reception on the beach as I now have amazing memories of dancing in the surf under a starry sky with my new husband and all our friends and family, but it is something to consider. The dancefloor was covered in sand very quickly so most of us were just barefoot all night. When having an outdoor party, you have to be shut down by 10:30 which is kind of an issue if you like to party. We all went to the sunbar which was still great as there was a live band preforming that evening anyways. Our dinner for the wedding was BBQ buffet which was excellent.

Brides: Consider getting your dress drycleaned while you're down there. At home I was facing $200+ to have it done so I opted to have the resort laundry take care of it for $55 and it turned out beautifully.

The ocean is very warm but a little rough at times. Most days the yellow flag was out. Once you get out past the break it isn't too bad but I wouldn't let children out of your sight.

The area, Nuevo Vallarta, feels extremely safe. We did a trash the dress photo shoot in old Puerto Vallarta and the melacon and we never felt unsafe. Just watch out for traffic.

The food at the resort is the best I have ever experienced at an all inclusive. The spring rolls in Zen, the lasagna at Ciao, and the room service were all great. I really can't complain about any meal I had in our 2 weeks.

The service, as is constantly mentioned on this site, is THE BEST at this resort. Everyone is more than willing to help you with anything you need. Tido, Angelica, and Erica were all favorites around the pools and beach. Thank you all so much for mudslide after mudslide after mudslide. All the front concierge staff are awesome as well, I can't recall any names but they were all prompt and willing to help you with anything. Please please show your gratidue and tip people!! They deserve every dollar they receive.

The weather was perfect the entire time, I think there was one day it was overcast but other than that, hot sunny and 32 or warmer! Gorgeous escape from our long cold Alberta winters.

We did utilize some of our resort credit but didn't come close to using it all. We wanted to upgrade our room but there wasn't any available to upgrade to which was fine as we were given an ocean view room on the 5th floor. I would have been able to use it all had you been able to use more in the spa. I had my bridal hair done, a pedicure and my husband and I each had massages. This ended up being over the 300 you can use towards spa so we had to pay an addtional 100 or so dollars. The hair was great as were the massages, but my pedicure was just ok. It felt rushed, and my feet were still very rough afterwards. It was a good thing it was done the day before the wedding as it only lasted about 3 days. We also used our credit for the zip line tour which was great. I would highly recommend Vallarta Adventures for any other excursions you would like to do outside of the resort credit.

Again thank you to all the staff at Hard Rock Vallarta for making our trip one to remeber. We hope to return for our anniversary and will continue recommending this resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
RobertoRoja, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Hi Melissa v,

We are absolutely thrilled to hear from you again and very grateful to you for your preference when selecting our resort for such a special occasion as your Rock Wedding.

We must say that we cannot stress enough our satisfaction about the positive experience and terrific time you mention to have spent in our hotel in a so thoroughly way. It really seems like a true Rock Star wedding.

Thank you too for mentioning the names of those people who were out of their way to make you feel pampered, especially Uriel whose great job paid well off.

We hope that future brides & grooms find useful all your detailed recommendations and comments.

You may rest assured we are ready to roll out the red carpet and rock your first anniversary. Please contact us in advance for any further assistance.

Keep the good times rolling!!!
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We wanted to go someplace warm over the New Year holiday that was a short plane ride from the west coast. Other contingencies included a direct flight from LA and the ability to do an RCI timeshare week exchange. The Hard Rock Vallarta met the criteria. Hemos tenido unas vacaciones más excelente (We had a most excellent vacation!) The beach is a beautiful sandy beach. No rocks, seaweed and very few shells or coral to cut your feet on. We chose the all-inclusive option and we were pleased with food and dining options. Not gourmet, but a very good selection of entrees and the service was superb. Special recognition to Carlos (Jesus) at Zen – you made it special and you delighted us at each meal when we dined there.
The overall service in the resort was fantastic. We are from Las Vegas and we are from the hotel / resort industry so we are “snobs” when it comes to service. The staff at the Hard Rock Vallarta went above and beyond delivering EXCELLENT service. They were EXTRAORDINARY. They truly made this trip memorable.

I “lost” my camera in a taxi cab on the next to the last day of our trip and the bell staff tracked down the taxi driver and retrieved the camera before we departed for the airport. Jesus and Josue deserve extra special recognition because they followed up until the camera was delivered to the property. Evana the concierge also deserves a special mention because she took the initial report and followed through until the end. I should also mention that the taxi driver reported that he had found the camera and that he wanted to deliver it to “its rightful owner”. I never thought I would see this camera again – and I was overwhelmed by the honesty and integrity of the taxi driver and the diligence of the hotel staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
RobertoRoja, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Hola Clau,

Glad to hear from you again. Receive cordial greetings from all your Hard Rock Vallarta family. We want to thank you so much for giving us a chance and for sharing your Rock experience.

It is marvelous to know you enjoyed our sandy beach and our assorted variety in dining, but above all we are very proud that we could exceed your expectations even when they were so high.

Thanks as well for highlighting our coworkers Carlos, who delivered the most smashing service, and Jesus, Josue and Evana who were out of their way to recover your camera, they will be very happy to know their effort paid greatly off.

We are ready to deck out the stage for you and rock your next vacation.

Expect the unexpected!!!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Before traveling to the new place, Puerto Vallarta, we really researched a lot and doubted. This place was a great choice! The rooms are clean, it took us some time to get used to the colors though. Also, the jacuzzi blocks half of the room, so really felt unnecessary to us. Food was excellent, plenty of everything. This is definitely the most upscale all inclusive we've ever been to, and we are traveling a lot! For example, for NEW YEAR buffet they had many different appetizers, duck, chicken, beef and even lobster tail for main course. You can have as much food as you want; just walk into any restaurant, anytime, don't have to sit down, just grab what you need. Plenty of good drinks. Exceptional service, they are always super nice and quick with tips or without.
The only little minus I could say, one day we felt like having room service, and it never arrived. However, in this place you don't really need the room service.
Pools are good and clean, a little chilly, not heated. The entertainment is fine, not great, but OK. Beach is beautiful, wavy, but the water is pretty warm.
Our son is epileptic; he had seizure right the first day we arrived. The staff treated us exceptionally, the doctor arrived in 2 min., and stayed with us as long as we needed to feel our little son was safe. I wish we had this doctor here in LA. SPECIAL thank you to Edgar, he stopped every day to ask our son how he felt.
With this place you can't go wrong. It's good for families, kids, romance, there is something to do for everybody.
I hope we can go back soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
RobertoRoja, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Hola jen170,

Thank you very much for having chosen our hotel after your deep research and for sharing your Hard Rock experience with us.

It is absolutely encouraging to know you did not regret of your choice and that you felt the Rock Star treatment during you very first time in Nuevo Vallarta; it is good to learn you loved the special dinner that our Rock Chefs cooked for the New Years Eve; it is great to know too that more than one person wanted to make sure that your child was safe.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to roll out the red carpet for you again with the smashing service you already know. All the crew will be waiting for you with open arms.

Expect the unexpected!!!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

There are goods and bads of every resort and HRH is no exception. To start with the good. We had our wedding there and it was amazing. This is a very small resort. The grounds are incredible and just like any hard rock, the music is loud (by the pool), which is great! No need to worry, you can't hear anything at the beach so it is easy to get away.

The resort credit is tough because the massage (which are great) can only be used for a portion. The food is what you expect, not bad at all, but high end cafeteria. I am not a foodie and I had no complaints. My wife loves wine and the selection was horrible, so you use your room credit to buy, but a USD $8 Ravens Wood costs $200 (which is 16% fee) so $32 USD for a $8 bottle.

If you are going to do a wedding, Uriel is amazing.

Ricardo at the pool is makes every day even more fun. He was the MVP of the trip!

The Sun bar is great, and the servers are amazing. I can't remember her name, but she is Mexican & from Chicago... she was amazing and ALL servers were quick with the drinks and VERY!!!! eager to help out.

ONLY MAJOR complaint was Carlos in guest services. He was simply the worst customer service rep EVER! He was arrogant and completely LAME. We brought over 40 people to the resort and he would not comp $30 for a mistake one of his reps made. Simply HORRIBLE!!! I'd stay away from guest services and just do it on your own... yeah, that bad of an experience.

Besides Carlos, this was an amazing experience. Such great people, its unfortunate 1 person left a sour taste for me and 8 other of our guests... but Ricardo, Uriel were some of the best EVER!!!

Room Tip: Use room credit for a room upgrade and we were VIP guests, but it didn't feel any different