“Good anniversary trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo de los Cocoteros No. 18, Villa 8 Fracc. Nautico, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Special Price
SUMMER SAVINGS!
Ranked #7 of 24 hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
“Good anniversary trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

My hubby and i had a good time. Received an unexpected room upgrade which was awesome. Raul in first club was the best! While you're there, enjoy Juan's drinks (the frappuccino was great, wish i would of discovered it sooner). Bambam on the beach taught us to boogie board, which was a blast.

• Stayed October 2012

996 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

It was very nice to return to the Occidental after being remodeled and see that the warm atmosphere and hospitality of the staff has not changed. We loved the new hotel decor, specially the lounge bar where you can see spectacular sunsets of Vallarta. Room was very comfortable and clean thanks to the wonderful housekeeping job, but we spent most of our days enjoying the fun activities offered by both the pool & beach. We loved the food and thematic dinners but the Mexican restaurant is still our favorite. We are looking forward to see the new second pool that is being built. We enjoyed the hotel tremendously!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed here with a LivingSocial deal for four nights before switching hotels to the Riu Vallarta for four additional nights. Our preference is Riu, but we thought we'd give Occidental a try just for fun. I would say that the food choices and entertainment were limited compared to the Riu, the pools and beaches were comparable, and the room just might have a leg up on Riu. Glad we tried it, but will probably stick with Riu for future stays.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My wife and I recently returned from a 10 day vacation at the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta. We had not visited this resort since 1996 and now I find myself asking why we didn’t come back sooner. We found that in every category our expectations were met or exceeded. The resort was completely remodeled about a year ago and the rooms are modern, clean and well maintained. We found the beds to be very comfortable and had no trouble sleeping. Compared to many of the newer resorts in the area the Occidental Grand is small but we like this as it added a certain degree of intimacy that you just can’t find at some of the bigger resorts. The resort is well laid out and it’s easy and quick to get around.

The food was very good in the buffet and both specialty restaurants. Los Olivos is the Italian restaurant. I found the lamb chops to be excellent and my wife enjoyed the mushroom lasagna and the seafood pasta. La Hacienda is the Mexican restaurant. We enjoyed the chicken enchiladas and the fish entree as well as the Mexican Coffee prepared tableside after dinner. The buffet always had a good variety available and we found the food to be above average if not excellent for an all inclusive. Another pleasant surprise was that the house wines served were actually pretty good. Top shelf liquor was always available in the lobby and beach bars when requested and all our drinks were well made.

The pool was very clean and well maintained. An adult only pool is now being constructed that should be open sometime this spring. This will be another great feature for the resort. The beach is fabulous, you can walk for miles on the sand and get your exercise (too walk off the good food and drink!). The water is not as clear as the Caribbean but it’s warm and the surf is just big enough to boogie board in and yet also calm enough for you to just enjoy the sea.

Jesus Aguirre is the manager of the resort and he is constantly “making the rounds” to see that all is well and interacting with both guests and staff. His staff is very friendly and accommodating; they are all a great asset to the resort and really make you feel like you are a valued guest.

As members of the First Club we also enjoyed the extra perks associated with membership and I cannot say enough good things about Israel Candelas and the entire staff in the First Club. We enjoyed the intimate atmosphere of the club and dedicated customer service.

One personal suggestion I would make is to be sure you tip your servers, bar tenders and the maids. They work very hard and although tipping will not change the level of service you receive you can be assured that it is appreciated and a little can go a long way for these hard working yet happy people.

In summary we enjoyed our trip and are looking forward to visiting again sometime in 2013.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Prince George
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Where to start... This was my 10th trip to the Puerto Vallarta area, and this is by far the worst resort i've been at. I was in a room with the bar music very close, which meant i had to stay up until 1 30 am when it closed, which im okay with, but the construction that starts at 8 am makes for a very tiring vacation. My room also was not equipped with hot water, other room i heard where fine, when i asked for a different room the 3rd day because of these conditions. They simply said it couldnt be done. The food was very poor at the buffet, however the resteraunts were amazaing. i was unimpressed with the availability of food. There were countless times i was hungry and had missed a buffet. I was then forced to wait another 2 hours for food or survive on McDonalds from the mall accross the street.
Over all i didnt get to have the 3 things i look for in a vacation; Food, Drink and Rest.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have decks
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Dexter M,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I sincerely apologize for the discomfort that the music from the bar and the construction of our new pool and theatre caused you, please know that our team strive to finish the rennovations as soon as possible, likewise I have shared your experience with our manager and we are looking into ways to erase the noise from the bar.
I am so happy to hear your enjoyed the food at our specialty restaurants. However, I’m sorry to hear your comments about the food at Le Buffet., We try to offer a large variety of food options, including a large fruit and salad bar, an omelet station, carving station, dessert station and daily Mexican specialties. For lunch we also have the snack bar, which is open from 12 to 4pm. Please accept our apologies for not having a food available at all hours of the day. I have shared your comments with our Food & Beverage Manager to see if there are any changes we can make. I’ve shared your opinion about the food at the buffet with our Executive Chef, who values all feedback. I hope you will visit us again so that we may have the opportunity to show you the amazing time we are accustomed to providing.
Calgary, AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Occidental was a nice hotel, with a great location, close to tours and a short ride into Puerto Vallarta. I have to say first and foremost, as a single female traveller, I felt very safe at this resort. They have a great dynamic of guests staying, and I made so many friends!
The beach bar is definitely where the action is at, and I spent a lot of time there, meeting some of the most interesting people. I have to specially mention Nestor, Fernando and Ivan at the beach bar. They were much more than bartenders, they became friends and if I go back to the Occidental, it would be in hopes to see those wonderful men again. They were fun, energetic, extremely helpful in getting me around PV safely on my own and were just generally really caring staff members. Ray, the bell boy was also fantastic, helping me get a great deal on cab rides, and even helping me figure out how to use the computers provided in the lobby. He is a great asset to the company.
The food in the buffet was some of the best buffet food I've ever had and I was pleasantly surprised.
The nightly entertainment was cute and I loved the casual layout of the theatre, allowing the guests to lounge in the loungers around the pool and still watch the show. There was a lot of guest interaction if you wanted to participate, but no pressure to get up yourself.
All in all, for the cost, I was really pleasantly surprised by the Occidental and would definitely recommend it to anyone on a budget vacation. It exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: If you book something oceanside, be prepared for a view of al the action. It is definitely noisier...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Just returned last night from our one week stay at this fantastic resort and cannot stop raving about it! From checking to checking out, the service was outstanding. Although this is a smaller hotel than what we are used to staying at in Mexico, it has all the personality and services of a four star resort! The rooms are large, include a private bath and are decorated with a modern flare. Although there are no balconies in the majority of the rooms, the ocean view large bay windows are breathtaking to wake up to in the morning.

There are three main dining areas in the resort. The first is the buffet which has a gorgeous outdoor seating area. There is a variety of foods offered here sure to satisfy anyone. The staff is very attentive and friendly. There is also Al a Carte restaurant dining options depending on how many nights you stay at the resort. We tried both restaurants offered on the resort; a Mexican and Italian restaurant. I recommend trying both. The guacamole at the Mexican restaurant was outstanding as well as the chicken fajita option. At the Italian restaurant I had the beef tenderloin which was also very good considering this is an all-inclusive resort. Both restaurants provided attentive and exceptional staff.

The pool area was busy and included daytime activities both for adults and children. The water was warm, comfortable and clean. However, we spent every day/all day on the beach because it is just gorgeous! Although I must admit I was hesitant to explore the Pacific waters as opposed to the crystal clear waters of the Golf, it is 100% worth it!! The beach was massive; the sand was powder soft and golden. The waters were a dark green but so gentle and luke warm. In fact the waves are so gentle that many people let their small children play in and near the ocean! There were miles and miles of sand to walk on and we never once felt threatened.

The resort offers nightly entertainment. Some of the nights included participation from the crowd while other nights shows were performed by professional dance crews. They were really so fun and enjoyable to watch. If you’re looking for something else to do, there is a mall located right across the street from the resort. It was safe and easy to navigate through and we happened to make many purchases there. Also, if you purchase a beverage from the Starbucks the receipt will give you a UN and PW to access their free WIFI. We also went on two excursions; San Sebastian land tour and Whale Safari, refer to my other reviews on these.

I would 100% recommend this resort to any and all. It is beautiful , quiet, offers exceptional service and the perfect taste of the Mexican Pacific coast.

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean view if possible, it is really worth the views!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!