“Great staff, wonderful food, nice room, Timeshare people need to go” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo de los Cocoteros No. 18, Villa 8 Fracc. Nautico, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Special Price
EARLY FALL SAVINGS!
Ranked #7 of 24 hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
BC
“Great staff, wonderful food, nice room, Timeshare people need to go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is a solid 4 to 4 1/2 star hotel

Flew westjet, no cpmplaints there

Checkin was painless.

Room, put us in 538, directly in front of the elevator. I said I would give it a try for the night but would ask for a move in the moring if I couldn't handle the noise. It was too loud for me so sure enough they moved us to 112. Very nice lower floor room with patio. No complaints about this room at all. Very nice comfortable, clean, updated room. Firm yet comfy bed.

The Timeshare people. These people really ticked me off. Without me getting into a lot of deatil I'll just say they need to go. I tried to avoid them but they just wouldn't take no for an answer until I got rude. Didn't want to do that at all. It was bizzare how aggresive they were.

Food, very good.

Booze, very good.

Staff, I have never found staff as friendly and helpful as at this resort (timeshare people not included)

Beach and pool, very good, never had a problem finding a longer or grass hut to chill under.

Location, very safe with a mall across the street.

Demographic, mostly families and older folk. Not a party place at all. Very relaxing

Activities, plenty to do, Night shows were entertaining.

My only complaint is lack of balconies and the timeshare staff.

I really need a balcony so I won't return on that alone, but if you can live without a balcony and don't mind telling the timeshare people off then I would highly recommend this resort.

They are currently building a new theatre and a adult swimming pool. I was also told by a staff member that they are transferring all the lower level rooms with patio's into club member (timeshare) rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

1,066 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We just came back from our two weeks vacation. As soon as we arrived at Peurto Vallarta airport, West jet employees were there with their signs to show us out to the waiting bus. The resort was beautiful not too big and not too small with wonderful staff. Brenda at the front desk took care of all our request when we arrived at the hotel.The room was very spacious and clean. Laura the front desk manager was very helpful.The staff at this resort were so amazing. From Eric in the Buffet at day time , and Andriana at night time, and luis the bell boy also kudos to the entertainment staff. Vicente, Gaby, Isla and maria.
The food at the buffet was very good with a variety of meat, sea food and vegetables. Something for everyones taste. The buffet and the lobby has no air conditioning and does not need one, it is very airy.
Another thing that impressed us was the General Manager Mr. Jesus, he was always walking around and talking to the guests, and asking their opinion about the hotel. The gym was open from 6am to 11pm
and very clean. The mini bar gets stocked every other day. Make sure you book a photo session with Ivan, he does an amazing job. We are already looking forward to go back there.

Room Tip: The rooms have no balconies, so if you want one ask for the ground floor which have patios, I think...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Miguel de Allende
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Our #1 favorite all-inclusive resort in Nuevo Vallarta. Excellent value , beautiful rooms, service is impeccable, loved the smaller property size. I only hesitate to recommend it because the secret will be out!

Stayed December 2012
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel supposedly has been renovated and All Inclusive but I don't know where. My room didn't have shampoo, conditioner and only one tiny bar of soap. The frig in room...nothing in it...not even a bottle of water. My only bright spot to my stay is the fact that I could make coffee in the morning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear PattiMacDallas,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I’m sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. The resort was completely renovated this past year with state of the art facilities and guestrooms. We do provide guests with all the basic amenities in the rooms, including shampoo, conditioner and soap; and we stock the mini bars with bottled water, sodas and beer. These amenities are also available at the front desk. I have met with the Manager to look into why you did not receive these amenities and to ensure that all rooms have these items. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again.
Chestermere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We have been to quite a few all inclusives and would rate this one the best. Beautiful property, nice beach,very good food and exceptional service with excellent and friendly staff, especially Idaly who was very friendly and helpful. I hope to go back soon and would recommend it to everyone.
The only negatives, which did not bother us too much were that the rooms did not have balconies, and there was not free intenet in the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We had a wonderful time in Puerto Vallarta staying at the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta while vacationing in the Pacific. I normally travel by plane; however decided to venture out by bus that took us about 8hrs ride. It was not bad after all, actually it was very exciting; we had a very comfortable air conditioned vehicle with bathroom and leg rest, TV. I got a bottle of water, soda or juice and a snack. I got to see the scenery throughout the journey and appreciate what one can’t see via air. Once we arrived at the bus station, a taxi was ready to take us to the hotel which cost about $20US. It is about 15-20 minutes ride, it was very quick and the people super nice – what can I say, people of Puerto Vallarta are just nice and welcoming in general.

We decided last minute to stay and experience this newly renovated hotel and I have to say that I loved the property. The personnel at the hotel were superb and the day that we arrived, we were welcomed by the staffs as we entered the property, escorted to The Royal section of the hotel for our check in process in the Concierge desk located in the 6th floor and it is exclusive for Royal clientele. We felt very special because I didn’t know the service until I got to the property. The hotel at a first glance was very cool; love the ambiance, the lighting was great, awesome view of the beach/swimming pool as I walked up the stairs to the very good size main lobby with plenty of lounges and chairs. I really liked the open lounge area of the hotel as the nice breeze comes thru the ocean, perfect for relaxing.

We loved our room, it was very cozy with nice décor, with fruits in the table ready to eat, love the view of the sliding glass door of the bathroom view from the bedroom with nice amenities such as bathrobe and slipper, free internet, a concierge lobby that we spent relaxing. In the Royal section we had the opportunity to experience the Royal Restaurant with a spectacular view of the ocean while dining & enjoying our time together, kids free area if you are looking to be in a more romantic and elegant setting. Love the other restaurants especially the Olivos in the upper section of the restaurant, I just like seating up high overlooking the outside the pool and the ocean. There is an activities desk if you have not planned something before your arrival. I had mine planned before arrival so it was taken care of and we were able to enjoy more time in the destination.

They have a nice size pool, the water in the beach was very warm, pretty big size beach and very soft sand. The cool thing about being in the Royal section, you get your private beach sectioned with Cabanas, love it very much, make me feel more special! There is a Restaurant La Hacienda and a Bar los Olivos next to the beach just a couple of steps away. There is replica of the symbolic stone arches that made me feel like we were in the Malecon, I had to have a picture taken. The surrounding was very well kept, the greens and flowers trimmed

Our favorite Royal personnel were a lady named Gabriela. She took care of our stay and assured that our stay is the best experience until we left the hotel. Indeed it was, even my husband was impressed with her.

Just a note the property has a section that is for vacation members only that normally do not have access to: however they do share the amenities. It didn't bother me at all.

I would definitely recommend the Royal section if you are staying at this property, it is the way to go - you feel more relaxed, very quite, ask for an Ocean view room, we just had a wonderful time in our Junior Suite room even though we weren't in the ocean view! Get the Ocean view room and you will get a different experience.

Room Tip: Ge the superior oceanview room and the 7th floor - higher the better view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This review only applies to the Royal Club. It is an hotel within a hotel. The amenities at this recently renovated hotel are first rate. We booked thru Skyauction at a ridiculously low rate. The food, service and drinks combined with very attractive accommodations could have easily commanded twice the price

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!