“We love Occidental!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo de los Cocoteros No. 18, Villa 8 Fracc. Nautico, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Special Price
EARLY FALL SAVINGS!
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“We love Occidental!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We had a wonderful time in Puerto Vallarta staying at the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta while vacationing in the Pacific. I normally travel by plane; however decided to venture out by bus that took us about 8hrs ride. It was not bad after all, actually it was very exciting; we had a very comfortable air conditioned vehicle with bathroom and leg rest, TV. I got a bottle of water, soda or juice and a snack. I got to see the scenery throughout the journey and appreciate what one can’t see via air. Once we arrived at the bus station, a taxi was ready to take us to the hotel which cost about $20US. It is about 15-20 minutes ride, it was very quick and the people super nice – what can I say, people of Puerto Vallarta are just nice and welcoming in general.

We decided last minute to stay and experience this newly renovated hotel and I have to say that I loved the property. The personnel at the hotel were superb and the day that we arrived, we were welcomed by the staffs as we entered the property, escorted to The Royal section of the hotel for our check in process in the Concierge desk located in the 6th floor and it is exclusive for Royal clientele. We felt very special because I didn’t know the service until I got to the property. The hotel at a first glance was very cool; love the ambiance, the lighting was great, awesome view of the beach/swimming pool as I walked up the stairs to the very good size main lobby with plenty of lounges and chairs. I really liked the open lounge area of the hotel as the nice breeze comes thru the ocean, perfect for relaxing.

We loved our room, it was very cozy with nice décor, with fruits in the table ready to eat, love the view of the sliding glass door of the bathroom view from the bedroom with nice amenities such as bathrobe and slipper, free internet, a concierge lobby that we spent relaxing. In the Royal section we had the opportunity to experience the Royal Restaurant with a spectacular view of the ocean while dining & enjoying our time together, kids free area if you are looking to be in a more romantic and elegant setting. Love the other restaurants especially the Olivos in the upper section of the restaurant, I just like seating up high overlooking the outside the pool and the ocean. There is an activities desk if you have not planned something before your arrival. I had mine planned before arrival so it was taken care of and we were able to enjoy more time in the destination.

They have a nice size pool, the water in the beach was very warm, pretty big size beach and very soft sand. The cool thing about being in the Royal section, you get your private beach sectioned with Cabanas, love it very much, make me feel more special! There is a Restaurant La Hacienda and a Bar los Olivos next to the beach just a couple of steps away. There is replica of the symbolic stone arches that made me feel like we were in the Malecon, I had to have a picture taken. The surrounding was very well kept, the greens and flowers trimmed

Our favorite Royal personnel were a lady named Gabriela. She took care of our stay and assured that our stay is the best experience until we left the hotel. Indeed it was, even my husband was impressed with her.

Just a note the property has a section that is for vacation members only that normally do not have access to: however they do share the amenities. It didn't bother me at all.

I would definitely recommend the Royal section if you are staying at this property, it is the way to go - you feel more relaxed, very quite, ask for an Ocean view room, we just had a wonderful time in our Junior Suite room even though we weren't in the ocean view! Get the Ocean view room and you will get a different experience.

Room Tip: Ge the superior oceanview room and the 7th floor - higher the better view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This review only applies to the Royal Club. It is an hotel within a hotel. The amenities at this recently renovated hotel are first rate. We booked thru Skyauction at a ridiculously low rate. The food, service and drinks combined with very attractive accommodations could have easily commanded twice the price

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

we just returned from occidental grand nov 3. this was our second time to occidental, and fourth trip to puerto vallarta.our first time to occidental was before thier renovation, and the staff, the pool and the food was enough to bring us back. the renovation was a total success as the resort is like new.as before the staff was amazing. erik, and ricardo in the buffet were tremendous. they made us feel so welcome, and thier service was to be commended. we cant wait to get back there next year just to visit with them. carlos, the front desk mgr was professional and very friendly, and handled any need or problem with a smile.the drinks at the beach bar were fantastic. the food was amazing at the buffet, and the italian restuarant as well. we will repeat this vacation as soon as we can. we also went on the vallarta tours sunset sail and it was a great time.the boats crew jairo,reuben, and johnny were very accomidating and fun. we met a great couple from chicago,kit and laura, and made a lasting friendship, which added to terrific memories from this trip.dont forget to parasail when you are on the beach. all in all we are going back to occidental soon, and would recomend it to all.

Room Tip: the building is constructed so as all the rooms face the ocean, and if you crack your window open a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We came here for Thanksgiving and we had a very good experience.
The staff is really friendly and all of them speak very good English, although we were happy to practice our Espanol.
We were particularly impressed by the friendly professionalism of Arnulfo, our server at the Italian restaurant Olivos. He definitely could be working at French Laundry in Napa Valley... Made our dinning a great experience!
Another highlight from the staff was Menahen at the front desk. Always accommodating, ready to help you with a big bright smile!
Great staff at the Olas Bar by the beach / pool too.

The cons: Most rooms don't have balconies and you usually expect them in a beach resort.
It is not the Hotel's fault, but the Nuevo Vallarta beach in front is not clear or blue nearby as well as the sand color. Up in Punta de Mita to the North and in the far south we saw prettier water color. However, the water was a wonderfully warm temperature for swimming.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Just arrived back from this hotel. I found my vacation was very disappointing. The food not not good and not plentiful when compared to other hotels I have stayed at. My son and I got sick from the food. There was little to no entertainment at night, really boring..... We had to change rooms because we, initially, got put in room 226 which was close to a huge ice machine. This machine made ice every half hour and when the ice drops it sounds like the whole ceiling is caving in. This kept us up all night. There is construction going on right now which was another annoyance. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. There are many other hotels to stay at that far exceed this one for the same price or less.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the second floor! That's where the ice machine and it will keep you up all ni...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for writing us on Trip Advisor. I’m truly sorry to hear that your stay fell so short of your expectations. I’m particularly concerned by your feedback on the food. Please know that we work with an international food inspection company in order to ensure that our food and handling of it meet safety standards. We have not had any issues with food poisoning. I will be reaching out to you directly via TripAdvisor so that I can share the details of your experience with the Food & Beverage Manager.
Our Executive Chef is always working on ways to enhance our dining options. Currently he is revamping our menus and adding more fresh buffet options with a larger variety. I’ve shared your feedback with him to help in his culinary planning.
I apologize for the discomfort you experienced with your first room and the ice machine, though I’m happy to hear that we were able to find another room that worked out. I’ve shared your comments with our Maintenance Manager, who is looking into ways to prevent ice machine disturbances from happening in the future. Regarding the construction, we are currently building an adult only pool. The work is now finished. I am sorry for the annoyance this caused you.
I was surprised to read your feedback about our entertainment as our Fun Club team offers a different show every night that includes traditional Mexican dance performances, talent shows and more. I’ve discussed your review with the team to see if there are ways we can enrich the shows.
It saddens me to know we failed to show you an amazing time. I do hope you will visit again after the adult-only pool is completed.
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

So First the Good:
The food was good and plentiful. The service from the kitchen staff, cleaning staff was great! The entertainment staff was friendly and good. The kids had a series of activities to enjoy. Our youngest enjoyed the mini club.
The bad:
The administration of the hotel SUCKS! They make promises which they do not keep, like the upgrade we were supposed to get to an oceanview room, and the connected rooms we were supposed to have with our kids. THey promise you one thing and do not deliver, and when you try speaking to their manager, well, he/she is NEVER available, always OUT TO LUNCH, and not figuratively speaking!!!! Literally!
THe worse:
There are no terraces, balconies, or anything like that to dry your bathing suits. NOw this poses a HUGE PROBLEM when you are at a beach sight and need to wear them wet every day because they do not dry. I took three. We were there for five days, and even the one that I used the first day was not fully dry until the fourth day; etc.
ANd what is saddest is that it is an architectural error which cannot be mended. THis would be a big deterrent for me in going back.

Room Tip: Book only if you can get a lowest floor room so you can have a door to hang your bathing suits to dr...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We just got back from Occidental Grand Nuevo. We stayed from Nov 13-20 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay! Everything, including the beach, staff, food, rooms, drinks and general area (Nuevo Vallarta) was exceptional!

We would especially like to thank Erik in the buffet for his wonderful service and dry sense of humor! Occidental, you are lucky to have a server like Erik! We didn't particularly enjoy our experiences at either al a carte restaurant but loved the food at the buffet! Very tasty and a great variety!!!! The view from the buffet was also amazing!

We also enjoyed the day activities such as water polo, water volleyball and especially the beach volleyball! A big shout out to the crazy entertainment staff! Thanks!!!!

The pool area is a little bit small but from what we heard the resort is building a adults-only pool with a swim-up bar. This is needed and going to be a great addition!

We decided to follow along with a time share pitch to get a awesome deal on a day-trip and although they did not like our "no", we still got a very cool day trip for very cheap! ($25/pp for a 10 hr day trip snorkeling, hiking up a waterfall and enjoying lunch on a beach).

If you want a great drink from a very friendly bartender go and see Carlos at the beach bar! What a great character!

All in all it was a very pleasant holiday that we would recommend to anyone!

A suggestion to the resort: Get WI-FI in the resort for everyone for free! For now we had to go the the corner of the resort close the hard-rock resort. Just walk around there and there is free WI-FI!

Room Tip: 417 had noisy A/C.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!