“Great relaxing time in Nuevo Vallarta” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta

You added Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo de los Cocoteros No. 18, Villa 8 Fracc. Nautico, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Great relaxing time in Nuevo Vallarta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

This hotel is newly renovated. The rooms are decently sized and well decorated. There’s a full length glass pane between the shower and the bedroom, so you get a great view.

Food was good as expected in a Mexico Hotel. The two a la carte restaurants were excellent. Jose from the Italian and Humberto from the Mexican pampered us well. The front desk staff were excellent, Yasmin was the most efficient front desk agent I have encountered in our 5 visits to Nuevo Vallarta. The bellmen, especially Raymundo, provided great service. He was a 5 diamond bellman. Every one was extremely friendly and attentive. The housekeeper made animal shapes with towels every day and it was the highlight of going back to the room for the kids. What animal did she made this time?
The loungers on the right side of the beach were new and very comfortable.
They had bicycles available for use (included in the cost) and it was right across from the Paradise Village Mall. Not an exciting mall, but something to see.
The nightly shows were nothing special if you’ve seen these things before. The daily activities were standard and the kids club wasn’t bad. At night they did not have much for kids to do compared with other places we stayed.
The kids have a good time. Is not a big hotel. I believe the daytime snack bar’s food needs more variety. And the Mexican restaurant could use more ambiance at night, such as décor and music.
The beach bar was busy and fun every night from 9pm until close at 1:30am.
The other bar had a great decor and interesting snacks between 4-6pm
For us this is a hotel for one week relaxation. We had a great time. Loved the new renos, the beach, location and the staff ...of course the sun.

Room Tip: All rooms are good since they are renovated. High floor will be ideal.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Polish first
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We travelled with young children and a teenager. There was always something to do for the little ones, but not much for the young teen. He was a bit bored.

You do get what you paid for and I would not pay a cent more for this trip ($399.99 on sell off)

The resort:
It is a smaller resort than we are used to. We normally travel to 5 star hotels. This hotel gets a 5 for rooms and lobby. Walking in, you will be very pleased with how " rich" it looks... Don't let that fool you! A 3 for food ( i"ll talk about that one later) The pool was large enough and you could always find a chair. People did tend to "claim" their chairs by 10 am but the staff was more than happy to pull a chair out of storage or from the beach for you.

The staff:
Do they ever smile? Are they even happy to be there? You could walk right past an employee without even being acknowledged. That was a first for us. If you want to your guests to feel welcome, say hello!?

The rooms:
Gorgeous, but bring ear plugs. YOU CAN HEAR EVERYTHING, every hall conversation , every click of every heel down the hallway. Beds were not soft but that's fine with us. Bathroom was large and nicely done. Housekeeping did a nice job of keeping the rooms clean.

The hotel:
the people by the elevators will want you to sit for an hour and try to sell you (timeshares) even though that's not what they call it. They start at $40G.... The cheapest someone paid for the 25 year term was $13G while we were there. But if you want something free, an hour is only an hour.

The activities:
The staff were not as pushy as I thought they would be. They respected the " no thank you" given. They tried... But.... Are still rookies... I was bored at times. The staff did dress up at breakfast and stood by the entrance but did not always greet the guests so what was the point?

The beach:
Those waves were fun!!!! You can get body boards from the beach but at no charge. We did not need waters shoes. Always clean, always trying to be sold something ALL DAY LONG!!! fun!!

Starbucks is across the street! A bag of Doritos will cost you $4 US at airport and in the resort. You cannot charge purchases in the resort shop to your room. There is also a grocery store across the street in the little mall. Pretty expensive!

The food:
So here's where I will try to be nice. I'd like to say "horrible" but let me give you some details.

Breakfast: everyone's comments are right, best meal of the day, after all fried eggs are easy. Omelets were overcooked, bacon swam in oil. They had cereal in boxes, toast,bagels, eggs, bacon, sausage, fried beans, cheese, meats, fruit ( usually the same 3 at all 3 meals- green melon, cantaloupe, and another), sometimes you'd find bananas there.

Lunch - 1/5!! At the main buffet. Mush, cold pasta that was supposed to be warm, meat slathered in sauce. Yum to the guacamole !!!!! Sandwiches were available 2 of the days.

Lunch at la hacienda ( by the pool) - pure garbage food. Cheeseburgers, hotdogs, fries, onion rings, chicken nuggets, etc... U could not eat any food by the pool.

Dinner:
3 choices. The buffet... Or You can book the Italian and Mexican once each during your trip. This can be done in the front lobby between 10am-12 noon and yes you do stand in line.

The buffet- Mexican night on Monday, I think Thursday was supposed to have a Chinese theme but would have rathered booked Italian or gone across the street to the starbuck's! Just the same stuff all the time with a few adjustments. Warm pasta was always colder than it should have been, the meats were smothered in sauces, the salad table (sometimes) had tomatoes....but usually had guacamole- made for a great meal when the buffet was not that great. Desserts- always seemed to running very low with empty dishes there all the time. Luckily I am not a dessert person. Ice cream was available but had " almost empty" containers 4 of the nights.

Italian- the most ""unitalian" restaurant I've ever been too. It is indoors but not air conditioned. The decor is just like the rest of the hotel, modern and clean. No sign at all at it was an Italian restaurant. You choose off of the menu and they serve 4 courses. The appetizer ( choice of salad( normal portion) , Cesar salad( very small portion) fired calamari/shrimp, (big portion) etc )
Next is a choice of soup, tomato or minestrone both were fine. Next pasta or meat. The pasta serving could feed a family of 3. The meat dishes were more like appetizer sizes or if you are familiar with " French cuisine" portions. For example: the lamb had 2 very small pieces, so if you are hungry, ask for a side plate of pasta. Very bizarre though, nothing about the experience felt Italian. dress code: men long pants and collared shoes. People who were not prepared wore their jeans and put socks on with their sandals :-) food 3.5/5. Atmosphere 1/5

La Hacienda:
You are in the open air restaurant by the pool . Servers are very attentive. Probably the best experience for us. We ate with another family, so the company made for a great time! The food... Pretty good. Beef tacos were yum! Steak was okay, turkey had too much sauce on it, appetizers were good, dessert - don't order the chocolate mouse- it is the same mouse as they have in the buffet- not my thing. The dessert that came in "a basket" was very good. You can get cappuccino's at any of the restaurants any time of the day. 3/5

Night entertainment - by far the worse we have ever seen. Again, do these people even want to be there. They look like they are going through the motions but not enjoying it at all. Shows were boring!!! I'd skip the shows next time and find something else to do.

So do you go? It' a vacation! Don't expect great food at the resort, it's just "food". If they improved the food, it would be a great place to go, have a self serve drink station rather than waiting forever for drinks, and have more decorated theme nights at the buffet, the reviews would be better. Would we go back - only on a sell-off!

It won't be the worse vacation but definitely not the best food!

Room Tip: Third floor away from elevators -we had a small balcony and are not royal club members
Strathroy, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

March 2, 20012 - March 9, 2012 we always plan our trips last minute and this one by far was the best deal and we were very surprised that we had such a wonderful time. we've been to occidental grand xcaret in the Mayan Rivera which a very large resort. amazingly beauty, this one in puerto vallarta is not very tropic but very modern and very clean. this is the first time we've stayed at a small resort. . we loved that everything was with walking distance. we had an ocean/pool view room. our kids which r 15 and 16 were just down the hall from us. the fun club staff was by far excellent. always doing different activities every day different themes. thank you to Gabriella and the other fun club staff who made our time there so much fun. the food was excellent. we loved the snack bar. especially my husband who is super picky when it comes to food. they serve hamburgers fries onion rings, and lots of other yummy. All the staff on this resort were very friendly always smiling they all speak really good English so it was easy to communicate. vendors on the beach a pain in the bum, but that's the same any where you go. one bad thing at least for me and no fault to the resort i was expecting a nice blue ocean. that wasn't the case. always a red or yellow flag up cautioning swimmers and the ocean was dark and murky not what i was looking for. one of the guest we're walking in the ocean and got stung by a sting ray. he's now nicked name sting ray frank, which by the way a very friendly person and good nature d. he's okay. that just turned me off even more. any ways I've rambled on enough. it is a small resort but it definitely is large on friendly service and fun. we would go back in a heart beat. our kids loved it and we did as well. i highly recommend this resort. it made us reconsider going to smaller resorts than big ones. i just wanna add one more thing WE HAD SUCH AN AWESOME TIME!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Was there from 03/16/12 to 03/23/12. Wife, daughter and me. It's a nice hotel fairly new and very clean. No issues with that. Beach is huge with miles of walking if you like that. Ocean is pacific so not clear and big waves. Not good for small children. My 2 year old was scared to go near it. No night life. Terrible entertainment. Food was not great but if you are picky it's the worst. If you are not picky then you will find something to eat. Ice cream was the best for me. Breakfast is the better option so eat lots in the morning to fill you up during the day. Food is rarely hot. They have heating elements rather than the hot water tables. Drinks are horrid. Watered down. Just order beer with ice and forget the rest. I'm not a big drinker so wasn't an issue. But or 600$ each all in after tax it was a grey getaway from the everyday. Service is lacking in the restaurants. They sell you timeshare every chance they get. Wifi is 10$ per day - a cash grab. Potential to be a great hotel but lacking in important areas. We just wanted to relax ad had no major expectations. So for us was great. But my honest evaluation is if you want it all pay more and go somewhere else. If you want to relax on a budget, this is a great option but don't have any expectations. Its an inefficiently operated hotel. Go only if you don't care about food or service or entertainment otherwise stay away. I wouldn't go back because I wasn't impressed but I definitely do not regret going. Hope this helps.

• Stayed March 2012
Teresa A, General Manager at Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, November 3, 2014
Hello, thank you very much for your feed back, it is greatly appreciated. Occidental Grand Resort is now under new head management. With that we have new managers in the food and beverage and activites/entertainment departments. We are all working together to improve our nightly shows, entertainment, daily activities, food variety and quality . Also we now have free wifi in the lobby, I hope we have the opprotunity to welcome you again here at the resort. Thank you again for your feedback.
Belleville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Sorry to say we just got home today...... My husband , myself and 16 year old daughter hated to come home like anytime you go on vacation. Just read "You get whay you pay for" review and thought it sounded like we must of stayed at a totally different resort! The hotel is beautiful and everyone is so accomodating and friendly. The whole hotel is very clean. Our room was beautiful, we had a room for three people so they gave us two single beds and a cot. We have a Tempurpedic Bed at home so I'm use to a soft mattress, so I laid on every bed and the cot was like a memory foam mattress so I chose that. After two nights my husband who was on one bed said his back hurt and hadn't been sleeping so I went to the front desk and asked them to take one of the mattresses out and replace it with a cot mattress, it was no problem at all and that night my husband had a wonderful sleep, now my daughter slept fine on the other mattress but I think my husband and I are just use to Tempurpedic so others may do fine with the beds. As for the food we all had no complaints. There was always something good to eat and it was always very good. It is a smaller resort so the buffet was smaller but there were alot of choices, and excellent desserts! An improvement that they should make is to hire some busboys! The waiters are so very busy with serving, getting drinks and then clearing tables that they are worked off their feet so it takes time away from the customers. If they would get even two bus boys it would help a great deal! We had awesome waiters!! We got to know them throughout the week and they try to do the best they can and are so very friendly. We didn't go to the mexican or italian ala cartes as we were out on an excursion or in town so we missed our reservations, so I cannot comment on them but the buffet was good. The beach was nice and the waves huge and you could walk for miles, which we prety much did!! Another tourist told us to go into the town of Busirious(SP?) and to walk the beach there as it would only take 1.5 hours. Well we walked it and let me tell you unless you are a speed runner you cannot make it there in that time, it took 2.5 hours!! Granted you can check out all the other resorts along the beach on the way but I would of much rather of taken the local bus or taxi (which we did for the way home) instead. Now dont go into Busirious or Puerto Vallarta if you have a hard time saying no thankyou, we felt like minnows in a shark tank. Everyone, I MEAN EVERYONE is trying to sell you something and getting you to go see hotels (which they dont call it TIMESHARES<but it IS) or they are all selling excursions!! I found Puerto Vallarta to be exhausting walking the boardwalk and being hounded the whole time to buy something!! The Boardwalk in itself is beautiful with amazing sand sculptors, mimes and such but being nagged the whole time takes the beauty out of it. As for any excursions I wouldn't waste my time and money! We did one to Las Caletas island and what a waste!! It was 300.00 for three of us and we could of did any of it at our resort. We took a small boat to another place to hop onto the big boat that took us 1.5hrs out to they say a "private island" which is really on Banderas Bay and the same strip of beach our resort was on. They give you lunch then you all "TRY" snorkelling as it is so wavy with sharp rocks encompassing you and the water is not clear as you are on the pacific side so you don't see much, and then you all kayak in a tiny roped off area for 20 mins and after that they take you on a "nature" hike which takes 30 mins of walking upthe mountain as they tell you about the trees and show you 3 monkeys (in a cage) and two parrots and then you go back down to get on the boat to take you back. When we got back they forgot to mention that if you get back after 5:00pm the other boat is not there to take you back across the bay to where you first arrived in the morning but they are so accomodating to have taxi's waiting out front to take you back to your hotel all with you conveniently paying for it! As for the other excursions the hotel and the area offered we didnt hear anything good except for the Rthym of the Night one we heard it was great. All in all the resort is great if you want a quiet trip just relaxing on the beach or by the pool. But if your looking for a place with lots to do and nightlife then I wouldnt recommend this area. This is our 2nd time on the Pacific side of Mexico and I do not think we would go back unless it was dirt cheap and we just want to get some sun, we think the Gulf is much more beautiful and Puerto Vallarto to our surprise is so built up and commercialized it wasn't our thing. There are so many Americans and Canadians living there that they said alot of American companies are building businesses like malls, home depots and walmarts there with American prices so for us it just took out alot of the cultural experience. As for safety it is very safe there. There are police everywhere and the locals are very friendly and willing to help when asked. We felt so safe that we took the local bus around and walked the streets without any worries.

Room Tip: There are no balcony rooms, they are only for "First Club" visitors which really means Tim...
Killaloe, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Occidental Grand in Nuevo Vallarta Is a amazing resort. From Checkin to checkout an amazing experience! Friendly staff, good food, Clean comfortable rooms and amazing beach, and the bar staff and entertainment staff we keep you amused! It is worth every penny!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

My husband and I went to this wonderful resort on March break and were blown away. The rooms were clean, beautiful and modern. Considering it was marchbreak there were no kids to speak of and very few teenagers which was just fine by us. We went there for some R & R and completely enjoyed ourselves. It is a smaller resort than what we have been to in the past but found it much friendlier for an all inclusive. The staff was always there ready to meet and exceed your expectations. A simple note to the cleaning staff left on the bed brought us anything we asked for like extra water, kleenex etc. The food was the best we have had at an all inclusive and there were no line-ups. My best friend became the chef who made the fresh pasta at the buffet. There were probably 2 lounge chairs per person so you never had to save a chair or get up with at the crack of dawn to have a nice spot to sit. I took advantage of the water exercise class at noon everyday with J-Lo, Vincenzo or Gabriella and they did not disappoint. They were funny and entertaining and it didn't feel like exercise at all. The internet at the hotel is $10 for 24 hours so if you have a lap top go across the street to the mall and there is a coffee shop in it with a sign in the window for free internet and the code to use, You can sit on a bench in the mall and use your laptop without even buying anything from the coffee shop. There is some nice shops in there and even a laundrymat if you need it. The only excursion we took was a 1/2 day whale watching tour. We did the morning tour and the ocean was very calm and we had a great time with a very informative tour guide. We went up nice and close to Las Marietas Islands as well on our way to see the whales. We opted for the smaller boat and got up real close. We were lucky to see them apparently as it is only guaranteed between Nov and March 1. Also there is free internet at the Adventure Tour offices where you wait for the tour and breakfast was included in the tour which we did not realize so we hurried up to eat before we went. We walked the miles and miles of beach every morning before breakfast and every late afternoon. The beach is very clean with soft beach sand. Make sure to wear flip flops when walking though as there is some kind of bee that wanders the wet sand and a young girl stepped on one right in front of us. I have not even one complaint about the Occidental Grand and am considering return again next year to see the friends I have made there like Reuben in the lobby bar. He was a great guy and very friendly and we went back over and over again to see him. Banderas Bay where this hotel is situated, has the nicest sunsets I have ever seen.You know how sometimes when you come back from a trip, you are so glad to be home in your own bed? Well this was not the case with this resort. We kept trying to find ways to stay.

Room Tip: we had room 360 and it was on the second floor which we just walked to instead of using the elevator...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!