“Nothing special” 3 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel RIU Jalisco

You added ClubHotel RIU Jalisco to your Saves list
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida de Los Cocoteros, Sn-Lote K, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #20 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Langley, Canada
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I'll break it down into categories:

Purpose: Was a romantic getaway for me and my boyfriend.

Food: typical buffet slop. Looks spectacular but leaves much to be desired when you actually eat it. No flavor and greasy. Made me feel like a food snob, but I don't think it's too much to ask for flavor. Authentic Mexican food is so filled with flavor, I would have liked to see some of that there. Even the "A la carte" restaurants were not a la carte. They were buffet. And not good. The snack bar was an embarrassment. Stale tortillas and cold processed cheese sauce. We ate out of the resort as much as possible. Would never do all inclusive again. Just isn't worth it. The most annoying part of the a la carte restaurants was that you would have to wait in line in the mornings the lobby to book a day and time to go to the restaurants. The line was usually 1/2 hr to 45 min wait and when we would finally make it they would tell us the restaurant we wanted was full. We could only book up to two days in advance. So we had to do this 3-4 times during our week. Poor setup. Also the main buffet (no reservation required) didn't open for dinner till 6:30. I found that pretty late.

Booze: exactly what you expect, tastes like gas. We brought our own. Again defeats the purpose of all inclusive.

The grounds: were quite pretty and well kept, though pool was always packed with boozers. And sometimes tough finding a free chair. The beach was pretty and nice to walk along. We spent most our time walking up to and spending our days in Bucerias. Was such a great little town with delicious street tacos and amazing churros.

The rooms: nothing special. Bed was not bad comfort-wise. But lacked simple amenities. Like a clock. It had more gasoline (I mean booze) in the room but we didn't even touch it. The fridge would only sometimes get stocked. Our toilet broke a couple times, not really end of the world, but kinda yucky. Was a great view from our room, it over looked the courtyard and beach, however; it was so incredibly loud all night till around 3am, every night. I would of much rather had the quiet than the view.

The staff: they're probably the best part of the Riu!! Very friendly and accommodating and so willing to talk and help. Such hard workers.

Overall the Riu was a bit of a let down and I wouldn't consider 4.5 stars. Maybe 3 and even then I'm being very generous. I wouldn't have minded so much if I had got a rockin deal to stay there but when you spend $1300, per person I definitely feel a little ripped off.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
Ocean City, Md USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

The property was very nice. Apple Vacations rated it a 5 star property. It was not. It advertised 5 Restaurants. We made it to 2 of the 5 our last two nights stay. They neglect to tell you reservations have to be made two days in advance. We arrived on Saturday so that meant we couldn't even think about making a reservation until Sunday morning at 8 am! For a Tuesday evening reservation of which only two were offered that evening of the 5! We ate a the Buffett 3 straight nights, again not 5 star accomendatiions. They advertised 24 hr food and drink, by that they meant a little sports bar with cold nachos and sometimes some melted cheese, a pool table and a smell of stale beer. Each morning we would get up stand in line at 8 am along with 50 other guest to get the infamous reservation. I ask just please be honest and say its Buffett the entire stay and make it the best Buffett. Maybe get ideas from the guys in Vegas who seem to have it down pat. I am not a buffet girl but nor am I get up early kinda girl to get a reservation for two days away maybe if I am lucky while I am on my much need sleep in kinda vacation!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised with this resort. Grounds were very large and nice. Food was good. Beach was very nice. Good place for families or as a single. Loved the beach grill food but wasn't sure what days they were cooking. I didn't care for the 2 day reservation system for some of the restaurants but it worked. Plenty of beach chairs.

Room Tip: Families are better on the lower floors close to elevators. Stairs were easy to maneuver even for so...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Forest Lake, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We arrived at the hotel and it is VERY clean, the hotel staff is wonderful but they do not speak english very well. After spending a few days at the resort everyone was very sick from the food, it looks great but tastes HORRIBLE. The italian restaurant was a joke, as well as the steak house. If you want reservations be prepared to wake up early and spend AT LEAST an hour in line to reserve it. My advice, go into town and eat its the ONLY good food you will get. They also all work together, they taxis and hotel staff that help you get cabs barter the cost and RIP YOU OFF! RENT A CAR!! The housekeeping was great as well as the wait staff, and it was a very clean resort i will say that. Oh and there was a man who followed us around at night trying to pick pocket us and the hotel staff knew who it was, as soon as we confronted them they pretended like they didnt speak english!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I took my 14 year old son here on his first vacation. He loved it. My only complaint is that it's so far out from everything you have to take taxis everywhere. Food was good, pool bar was always super busy but Jorge always made wicked Bahama mama's:-), wish this resort would have had a beach bar. Lots of entertainment from movies on the beach at night to the activities at the pool all day long. Would def recommend!

• Stayed December 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Going with just my parents I thought it was going to be a boring and older crowd place, but to my surprise it was the opposite. There were a lot of young families and people to mingle with of every age. Even though there were a lot of children they had a separate pool which made it still relaxing to read and lay out without a ton of chaos. The entertainment was outstanding with outdoor activities all day long (volleyball, ping pong, darts, contests, etc), great entertainment each night with a variety of performances, and a popping disco tech too for the late nighters. I thought the food was great too with a grand variety of options and if you want to be served one night instead of just buffet style I suggest Italian or the Steak House because the Asian/Chinese option I heard bad "just okay" reviews. If you want upscale service the whole trip I advise staying at the Riu Palace which you can go to all three resorts then, but if you are not picky and want to save a little for still an amazing place to stay I suggest the Riu Jalisco. Beautiful scenery, wonderful food, and amazing staff from the entertainers to the bartenders to the maids. It's all what you make of it, and take in the best parts like the scenery, the people around you, and having a restful place to relax in the perfect 80 degree every day weather!

Room Tip: Don't ask for water front because you'll get a back room that outside your balcony you'l...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
East St Paul, Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

This is our third year in a row at the Riu Jalisco and it just keeps getting better. We travelled with four other friends and family, two of whom had never been there before and they just loved everything about the resort. Our stay was from 16Feb2014 to 02March2014. The food, service, rooms, grounds and beach were all great. Did not even have to go to the al a cartes because the buffets were exceptional. There are of course a few odd Canadians and Americans that are extremely picky about everything, they expect everything to taste like Mcdonald, Pizza Hut, Burger King or even KFC. There are so many tasty choices at the Riu that I really don't know how any reasonable human being could complain.

All of the waiters where extremely attentive,friendly and very hard working. We had a lot of fun with Marcus and Evan(the nameless waiter). Marcus made our last supper very special with flowers and champagne.

Gloria the water aerobic instructor did a fantastic job keeping everyone laughing in the pool and made the workout really enjoyable.

Both day and evening entertainment was great and a lot of fun. My only advice for the evening entertainment is that the live band must be floor level with the audience as this will promote a lot of dancing and more people would stay to listen to the good bands that you have. Last year the band was floor level and it made a huge difference in the amount of people that stayed to watch and dance. This year the band was on the balcony and as soon as the normal evening show ended approximately 75% of the people left as there was also no place to dance and it was very difficult to see the band where they are located. It's almost like you are just listing to taped music. You have very good bands so please let people enjoy them more like you did last year when there were three standing ovations each night when the band was floor level.

Len & Angie Zaparniuk
East St Paul, Manitoba

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to ClubHotel RIU Jalisco? Share your experiences!