“Christmas in Puerto Vallarta - wonderful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel RIU Jalisco

You added ClubHotel RIU Jalisco to your Saves list
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida de Los Cocoteros, Sn-Lote K, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Your first gift: 500 pts
Ranked #20 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Vancouver, Canada
“Christmas in Puerto Vallarta - wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I went to the Riu Jalisco in the Riviera Nayarit section of Puerto Vallarta for two weeks that included Christmas, and had a wonderful time. We asked for a room away from the elevators, and they responded in spades - we couldn't have been farther away!! The service was very good - attentive without being overbearing. The food buffets at all the restaurants were generous, tasty, varied and interesting. Theme nights at the keynote restaurant were very well done. The pools and all outdoor areas are kept immaculately clean, and the entertainment is very well done.

On a side note, we both required medical attention while we were there, and the on-site medical clinic and doctor were absolutely first class.

We would be very happy to come back here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank John W

Calgary, AB
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have always liked the RIU hotels. This one is very nice but is now dated - especially when compared to the other RIU properties within walking distance. I hear they are planing renovations - wait until that happens before going here. Right now it is barely at 3 star resort

Service was not quite as attentive as what I have received at other RIU resorts (or other all-inlcusives) in the past.

Still love the alcohol dispensers in the room and cold beverages in the fridge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank calgal66
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

A great location on fabulous Flamingo Beach and you can go to far wrong with a Riu hotel, a solid 4 star rating. Food wasn't as good as I remember, but we had tons of fun....and you get to enjoy wonder full sunsets every night.

Room Tip: ask for a south facing room for the best sunsets
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank vivienr0se
Lac La Biche, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We love the Riu hotels! This was our second holiday at a Riu hotel (we've stayed twice at the Riu Santa Fe in cabo) you really can't go wrong with a Riu. Good food, clean rooms, great location, good service, friendly staff, awesome pools and great beach! This was a family vacation, ranging in ages from 3 yrs old, 8 years old, 15 yr old, adult children in their 20s, and parents in 40s. We all had a great holiday. The only thing that really bothered us was our toilet seemed to not work as it should, low water pressure and got plugged a lot, as well as there was plastic mattress covers on our beds which made a lot of noise whenever we sat on the bed or turned over when trying to sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Jodee M
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

If you want a nice relaxing vacation with lots of beach, sun, plenty to eat and drink, an amazingly large beach in a cove with nice calm water, then go to this hotel! UNBELIEVABLE!
My wife and I were here for 14 nights and didn't want to go home. We were treated like locals, it was just a wonderful experience. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2013
7 Thank Mike H
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great Location, even though a little from central Puerto Vallarta, but a great bus ride to and from. Great staff, housekeeping, and great food. Guests from all over the world. Great Activities all day of the week, and good bar service. We strongly recommend. Will be going back again.

Room Tip: With a little extra funding, you can upgrade - Center tower, the higher floor the better, or the Sou...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Swissfox1
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Anyone planning to visit Puerto Vallarta, I would not recommend the Riu Jalisco...
Let's start off with the check in, there is no organization, no lines, and no order, everyone just kind of jumps in and out of lines and if you are not a Spanish speaking person, you are left till the end.
We arrive to the hotel around 4 and try to check in, the lobby was a mad house, people were trying to check in and others were trying to check out... It took over an hour to even talk to someone.
We finally check in and to my surprise, I am handed a key.. YES a real key to lock and unlock my door, and also I key with a lock attached to it for the room safe... I was then told, "If I lose my keys I will be responsible to paying to replace the keys and locks to my room".

Let's move on to the elevator, a 2 by 2 elevator with no ventilation and smells of mold and mildew, having to get on and off that elevator was disgusting.
Once we arrive to our floor and get off the elevator, the area smells of the same mold and mildew. Considering I am staying at the RIU (ok it’s not the Palace) but it’s still a RIU this is disgusting.
We are now in the room, I have to say it was clean, but STILL it smells like old socks, and wet towels. As I look around I notice there is no privacy in the bathroom area, everything is just one open room, except for the toilet area, that had a door... the shower just had a curtain, so when I got out of the shower, I walked out to my 2 boys watching television, this was quite uncomfortable, no private area to change or get dressed. It might have been okay if my kids were under 2, but a 12 year old and an 8 year old do not want to see their mom changing, so we all had to change either in the shower, or take our clothes and change in the toilet room...
Also, we had no working air-condition I called the maintenance 3 times to come and fix it and they told me that its working and this is the coldest it can get in the room due to the hot temperatures outside. I have never heard anything like that in my life; we had to sleep with the ceiling fan on instead on AC.

Let's move on... The food was DISGUSTING... the buffet was always messy, food was everywhere, the dining hall was always dirty. We went down for breakfast one morning, we find an open table, and it had cloth napkins in 3 places on the table, we found that odd and lifted them to see why they were there... They were hiding food stains from the previous families. I don't understand why they didn't just replace the table cloth. Little things like this will determine if you will be returning.
I know I am a little anal with cleanliness and order, but I figure if I am playing good money to go on vacation, I should not have to eat at tables that can't be clean and a food area that is not sanitary and taken care of.
Let's move on to the pool area. I am not a pool person while on vacation, but my boys like to hang there for a little bit before going to the beach. Where do I begin... the pool itself had tiles missing on the floor, the water was murky and felt slimy, and my kids couldn't take it for more than 10 minutes and wanted to leave.
It is now lunch time.... this must have been the worse area of the hotel... The restaurant was Oceanside, so everything is open... We walk to get our lunch, the food area, dining area, is in complete disorder, food is all over the floor, garbage is everywhere, and I can't believe this but there are no covers on anything. Not the fruit, not the salads, not the condiments, nothing is covered. I sat and watched these black crows like looking birds fly in and out of the watermelon plate and step in and out like it was okay, and pick up pieces of fruit and drop it back into the plate and pick up another piece. I don't know about you, but I can't eat after seeing that.
The whole trip we waited till the chef took the food right off the grill or pan and then put it in our plate to eat.

Needless to say, the ocean water was great! The entertainment was okay.
The service was horrible, no one ever said good morning, thank you. We were vacation the same time the locals were vacationing, and maybe this is why there service was not to par, but that is not acceptable. When your source of income is from tourism I feel that you need to be as happy as can be all the time. Overall tried to make the best of the trip for my kids’ sake...
I can only speak for the RIU Jalisco, and its problems, but I am disappointed in how this hotel is kept up that my family and I will not be vacation in any other RIU's and I make note to tell my family and friends as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
#1 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 stars 1,748 reviews
Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa

Been to ClubHotel RIU Jalisco? Share your experiences!