“Nice resort but 99,9% local Mexicans....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel RIU Jalisco

You added ClubHotel RIU Jalisco to your Saves list
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida de Los Cocoteros, Sn-Lote K, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Black Fri-Cyber Mon SALE
Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Vancouver,WA
“Nice resort but 99,9% local Mexicans....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We went to this resort in the middle of July (6-14) with a family of 6. The first thing you should know about this place is that it 99.9% filled with local Mexicans. The weekends were the worst. On weekends, huge crowds of locals would arrive in enormous bunches. Most families had 4-6 kids, and were really loud. About half the staff spoke decent English and could understand what you were saying, the other half you had to use a mixture of English, Spanish, and pointing. The resort however was okay. Summer is the time when most locals have long vacations so expect moderate to heavy overcrowding. Some of the resort was however was really nice, he kids pool had three water slides which the kids really enjoyed. You could also borrow boogie boards for the kids to play with (for free). The food at the resort was fairly good but most of the time it was the same. The service could have been better though. Sometimes it seemed that they took away your food too fast. The rooms were old but we were told that they are going to do renovation to the resort in August of 2013. A lot of the things were missing because of the remodeling they were going to do. For a family resort it was okay but there were barely any bathrooms around the resort and no places to change clothes.

Room Tip: If you don't like your room ,ask them to change for better one and they will gladly do that!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Santa Rosa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

6/28/13-7/6/13 We went here with a family of 8 and the price was really inexpensive. The Kids had an Absolut blast. My wife and I thought that the pools were a little crowded and had to much chemicals in them. If you’re an early riser you will avoid all the crowds at the restaurants and pool. Don’t lose your beach towel, it will cost you $25. Also this is a local friendly resort so if you don’t speak Spanish don’t plan on making to many new friends. Overall, the hotel was very clean and well maintained. The staff was super friendly, helpful, and polite, especially Sergio at the front desk. The food was ok. the kids loved the food but my wife and I got tired of it after a few days. The beds are really hard so drink up. There was a lot of noise in the hallways around 10am and 2am. The shows are fairly good, don’t expect a Broadway performance. I would not recommend this Riu but I heard great things about the Palace RIU next door. I think with an update of the rooms and a broader mix of travelers this would be a nice inexpensive place to take the family. I had a good time here overall, but I read the reviews before I went so my expectations were not so high to begin with.

Room Tip: avoid rooms close to the elevator to avoid noise.
Innisfil, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I took my 18 year old son July 4th - July 11th.
First, we arrived at around 12:30pm to a packed lobby of both people checking out waiting for there bus and people arriving waiting for something. Very Confusing and stressful.
Our room wasn't ready but we managed to book a few a la cartes while in the lobby.

There policy is you can book 2 days in advance. Anyways we got our room @ around 2pm.

ROOMS

The room was nice, air worked very well, stocked fridge and liquor dispensor all included.
Our room was ocean view on the 6th floor room #6173.

The actual toilet was seperate from the shower area and sinks which was ok but kinda like a boxed in area which echoed. With my son was fine but not to romantic if you were with a partner.

Maid service was good, always a neat animal of some sort and fresh towels everyday.
I left a tip daily plus chocolates and they were very greatful.

ROOMS.....8/10

POOL / SWIM - UP BAR

So it was quite obvious the resort was filled in the off season with locals, mexicans, which is fine with me I guess except there manors are not quite what we are use to, friendly and say "Hola", but like to bud in line and kinda take over. But the bartenders were actually very quick to find you in a crowd and ask you what u need. (Ok so ask the swim up bar bartender named Cesar for a Dr.Pepper cause he rocks at them now) Super awesome guy...

Because of the large crowds meant the pool water was like soup, but we made do.
ONE SUGESTION TO THE MANAGEMENT OF THE POOL AREA.

I love kids, infact I have 11 of my own, but a adult pool is a adult pool and a kid pool is just that, it does get kinda frusterating getting splashed all the time while trying to enjoy a drink.
PLUS, I understand there's 90% Mexicans at the resort but the staff only made pool announcements in spanish, we would have liked to understand what was being announced.

POOL......8/10

Beach

I'm not really a beach guy but it looks ok, honestly the ocean wasn't a whole lot different from our lake hear in Canada. But the sand was white and there was parasailing everyday for extra $ and like most other places the odd pushy vendor.

BEACH.....7/10

BUFFET

The buffet was great, always a good selection, something different every night, wednesday night was kinda a asian night or something and it was fantastic.

NOTE****Breakfast at the buffet was insanely busy and almost impossible to find a table, but the staff opened up the mexican a la caret and steakhouse a la carte as buffets which helped.

This is where you will notice the difference between our manors and theres. Waiting in line for an omelette people just walk right infront and order when you've been waiting, I don't think they are trying to be rude it's just there upbringing. Patience was used at these times.

BUFFET ...7 / 10

A LA CARTES

Ok so we went to 3 of 4.

The Botana is the steakhouse, it was overlooking the beach which was nice except a little hot, the dinner itslf was ok, we had the ribeye but it was very fatty,
Overall a 5 / 10

The Asian was good, lots of variety, it's buffet style.
Overall a 9 / 10

The Brazillian
I was looking forward to this, I'm a meat lover and had high hopes, I was a little let down here, they brought big squeires? or turkey and chicken but they were still a little pick inside which where i come from is a good way to get salmonella, the pork was ok and the beef was great though.
Overall 5 / 10

We didn't go to the mexican a la carte.

LUNCH

You had a few options, there was the sportsbar where you could get snacks like sandwiches burgers, nachos 24hrs, or the buffet is open for lunch. But the best is the Nataritt Italian Restaurant for lunch, it's kinda like a all day Italian a la carte, fantastic.

Overall 9 / 10

STAFF

The staff were good at answering any questions when needed. There was one girl in particular who was super nice, her name has slipped my mind but she would approach you in the buffet periodically and ask how your stay has been. She really seems to care.
Again wait staff and bartenders are great.

9 / 10

***SPECIAL FYI***

Hotel does NOT accept american money, my 4th time there and first I heard of this, they won't even exchange it for you. Bring pecos or canadian $$$.

Calling cards are available for 200 pecos which is about $18 canadian, BUT when you use it on the resort they charge a $150 connection fee everytime you use it, even if theres no answer.

PLUS VERY IMPPORTANT

NO excursion includes transportation, my son and I were going to ride dunbuggies and it would have cost $190 plus $50 in cabs totaling $240 for 2.5 hrs.

Even to shop you have to take 2 seperate cabs, one to take you to Puerta Vallarta, and one to bring you back, the taxis actually have unions so it's costly to get around.

NICE PLUS

If your at the beach facing the water, go to the right 2 resorts and you will see a resort that looks like steps, infront of that there is a message place that charges $20 an hour and it's great. Thats's a actual message but no happy endings.

THE HOTEL OVERALL

I love Riu's, this was my 3rd, this hotel is a little dated which is why they are closing at the end of August for 3 months to renovate, but it is a nice hotel. We enjoyed our stay but I don't think I would return, I think I would go to the Palace or Riu Vallarta if I returned as they don't seem to overfill there resorts.
Having said that I don't think I will return to PV or Nayarit, it's a long 5 plus hour flight and with excursions and the cab costs it's just to expensive. There are many other less expensive options out there.

OVERALL RATING......3.75 STARS

Room Tip: ask for a ocean view high floor
Antelope, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My 5th time in Mexico, 3rd in PV, 1st in Riu Jalisco. Chose this hotel because this time we went with the kids (9 & up.) Don't regret it.
One of the best beaches in PV. Clean, wide, with a good portion of palm shade & plenty of lounges.
Good food. Really good. When buffets/restaurants are open. We set in the same area to get the same waiter if possible. Alonso was our favorite. Tough time is 5 pm - 6:30 pm and appr. 23 pm - 7 am when Sports Bar is the only place to get food. Sandwiches are almost always gone leaving you to choose between hamburgers and hot dogs. :( I think they need to improve that.
Rooms are average. Beds we had were a bit too hard. Safe was ok. Room service was good, thank you, ladies.
Pools. Yes, pool bar is crowded. But not by the kids. Everyone wants a drink. However, wait and you'll get seats if you wish. Ramiro, JJ & Cesar made best cocktails.
Entertainment programs day & night were there. Yes, not the Vegas shows, but not bad at all. David, we miss you.
Front desk staff addressed every need we had. Excellent service.
Hint: if you need tours there is a guy, Juan, on the beach. He got us better deals than tour sales people in the lobby and way better than those advertised online. Talk to him.
Last point: Don't be greedy. Please tip. These people work hard and deserve it. We saw way too many guests who did not bother to leave a buck for a maid, waiter or bartender. Yes, it's not required, but...
Have a great trip!

Room Tip: 3rd floor was convenient
Edmonton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

When we arrived at the Riu Jalisco at 11:30 pm we were sent to our room with a key that didn't work; therefore, we lugged our suitcases back to the front desk to figure out what the problem was. They sent us with another key. This key opened the door; however, the room was occupied by other guests. When we went back to the front desk they didn't seem overly embarrassed about the situation. Finally we got a room with a key that worked. Considering our late flight we went to find a place to eat within the hotel, the only open place to eat was the sports bar which had leftover gross sandwiches and rotten fruit. We decided to go to bed hungry.
The beds were uncomfortable and furnished with paper thin pillows. The room was dank at all times and smelt of mildew. The hair dryer sparked and nearly burnt my hair off. They "key" safe was rusted and old we didn't feel comfortable putting our valuables in it. The food in general was terrible, we ended up paying the 40 dollar cab ride to the boardwalk every night to eat edible food. We got this trip given to us as a gift, we would never stay in this hotel ever again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WinnipegR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Loved the local population at the resort , awesome peeps and we had a blast with everyone BUT the kids... wow .... so many kids... this is known as a family hotel and I have no problem with having kids around BUT everywhere! The swim up bar was jam packed, the pool water was so warm .. I tried not to think that is was probably made up 90% of pee UGH... would go again in Summer BUT would stay at the Vallarta or Palace where the adult pool is the adult pool.

But once again Ramiro, Cesar and Emi keeps us liquored enough to forget the negatives!

Room Tip: palm trees have grown over the years so the higher the courtyard room you can get the better ocean v...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I travelled with my bf to this resort in June 14-20. Prior to booking i did read lots of reviews and majority was all good and so i went ahead and booked. To my horror, the reviews thereafter were coming in one worst that the other. I tried to cancel my vacation but had no luck with what alternatives we faced, therefore, we decided to go go ahead with it.

The check in went smoothly, we had a great time despite some of the complaints which are all too similar from what I read.

Beach is good not as good as Cuba though! Go to the beach when the Mexicans come in on the weekend. The pool area tends to be overcrowded with screaming children and parents alike. The pool needs to be cleaned as it is cloudy at best and warm. Best off at the beach where it's nice and breezy.

Food is good, lots of great things to eat, best night was the last night when the theme was 'Asian' and we had sushi. Wine is good and if you have a good waiter he will look after you.

Rooms are clean and again if you look after your chambermaid she will leave you great towel artwork every day!

The entertainment was good, we saw the Michael Jackson tribute and it was quite good.
We enjoyed the different music they provided in the mid lower courtyard between the two main buffet areas.

Staff were very nice and informative. Jainette always came around asking if were were happy with everything!

All in all a great value & getaway. We got the tickets at a good price so no complaints!

Tips: buy yourselves a gourdie from the Dollar Store. You can fill these drink holders with Juice in the morning and top it up with ice and it will see you through till about 11:30, by which time you can have them rinsed out and get your afternoon cocktail of choice. Best two dollars I spent. :) You really need a SPF 60 coverage for best protection, I got Coppertone spray SPF 60 - Another great investment! 1 can lasted a week for both of us. Lastly get Life Coconut & Lime after sun (put in the fridge so its nice and cool when you come out of the shower when spraying). Other than that Just go there to enjoy and have a wonderful time.

Room Tip: We stayed in 6178, I requested a quite clean room in an email which I sent a week before.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to ClubHotel RIU Jalisco? Share your experiences!