“Too all the naysayers - get a life - this place is wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta to your Saves list
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo de lo Cocoteros, Lotes 32 y 33, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #6 of 24 hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Winnipeg
“Too all the naysayers - get a life - this place is wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

Firstly, let me preface this by saying that yes, the entertainment finishes at 11ish, the clean towel count in your room may not be the same every day, say "no" to the time share and you won't be bothered again, and don't in one breath talk about how poorly people are paid and how it is 'third world' and then complain about service, food, linens or whatever.

Just returned three days ago, and loved this place. My girlfriend and I were sent by reluctant husbands (they had no interest in going to Mexico) on a fact finding mission. The reviews are in and they will be joining us next year.

The resort itself is gorgeous, staff friendly, hard working and like most places you will get what you give. This is not to say that tipping is required. As I usually do, I tipped some of the staff (our most entertaining bartender and waiter and our maid) at the END of our stay. I do not believe in tipping to get better service, and indeed have stayed at resorts where there is a no tipping rule (staff get fired if they are found to be accepting tips). The idea of an "all inclusive" is that everyone pays the same for the same service. If you want over and above that, Villamagna offers a "preferred club". As my companion said as our waiters bustled back and forth from the pools and beach to the bar and us, "What more could you possibly want?" and "so exactly what better service would tipping get us?"

The a la carte restaurants are extraordinary in presentation, quality and taste extraordinary and atmosphere exquisite. Portions? - what I would expect from a fine restaurant - you certainly don't leave hungry. If you want to eat from the trough - go to the buffet! And as for waiting, I can't believe that people complain about having to wait for longer than they think is appropriate...have another glass of wine, chat, enjoy the view and weather and be grateful that the restaurant isn't making their money based on 4 sittings a night and hustling you through your dinner.

We witnessed dolphins and whales playing on our beach, not to mention the baby turtles hatching almost daily on our beach walks (and yes the beach is more than spectacular, you can walk MILES in each direction). The jacuzzi tub on our ocean view balcony was a nice place to relax after a long hard day relaxing on the beach or by the pool. Rooms are super cool in design and what's the big deal with the frosted glass doors on the shower and toilet? Ya got peepers with you who are pressed against the glass to check ya out? (Not sure if you could actually see doing that either!) Lots of big fluffy towels, dual vanity, the free standing tub, stocked fridge and 24 hour room service all add to the experience.

This will NOT be a resort for you if you want a bunch of action, that is not what I vacation for, having more than enough of that in my every day life. And I was amazed at how well the kids behaved, this being my first stay at a non adults only resort. I prefer to get sun, meet some new people, read and enjoy a good beverage and a nosh for my week away from home.

My only complaint is that our patio doors were always closed by the staff, every time they made up our room or did turn down (complete with chocolate and event sheet for the next day). Whenever I looked at the building, almost invariably ours was the only room with the doors to the balcony wide open. There are virtually no bugs (whoops, we did have a "table fly" once or twice), the temperatures are glorious to sleep at night and I will get whatever sound of the ocean I can when I can!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

2,203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

Let me first say that I have traveled to Mexico 10 times in my life, all of which to All-Inclusive properties. This is my FIRST complaint ever, so please consider my review before booking this resort. I've never been so disappointed. I've also stayed at other Dreams properties in the past, so I took a leap of faith on this one, even after reading many of the poor reviews. Welp, BIG MISTAKE. At first glance, the property location and facilities are quite nice. The rooms too are nice and updated. That's about all the good stuff to the review. When you think All-Inclusive, I think good food and GREAT service. Neither exist at this hotel. The food is not good at all and it takes FOREVER to get your food/drinks. If you have already booked this resort, the Portifino is the only restaurant worth eating at. I waited over an hour at the Seaside Grill for a chicken sandwich. I felt terrible for the mother and 3 kids sitting next to us that waited even longer. When you would order food or drinks, the waiters acted like it was an inconvenience to serve you. I've never felt like this at any other all-inclusive. At the pool, we did find one good server, Monica. She was polite and checked on us often. That's about it though. Another thing you should know about this hotel, there are more private condos then hotel rooms. All of the condos are located near the ocean. The hotel is just the back two buildings of the property. We opted for a garden view which we were pleased with in check-in. It is located in the back tower, no big deal. Some family members traveling with us opted for Ocean View. What we both could agree on is the noise level. I didn't get a decent night sleep while I was there....no one seemed to. ALL of the activities were held in the open air lobby of the hotel in between the two towers, which last late in the night with the echo of loud music and voices. There is NO room in the hotel other than the private condos that would be able to avoid the noise levels. Again, the rooms were nicely kept, but often you were left with a clean room and no towels or no refill of the fridge water and sodas....and no sleep. I hate to sound like a total complainer, but again, I've been to Mexico 10 times in my life, and never been to such a terrible all-inclusive experience. I've always been happy with my trips, until now. DO NOT bother staying at this hotel. Maybe try the Dreams in Puerto Vallarta or the Barcelo Mismaloya for a guaranteed nice trip. Better luck next year. Please feel free to e-mail if you have questions, I'd be happy to share.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

So it is a year plus since I have gone! And I still miss it! I just got back from an all-inclusive place in Cancun- Hated this place, loved Dreams and talked about how great Dreams was compared to where we were now. So I just had to write a review after the fact!
The food was awesome, the rooms were gorgeous! Room service was awesome! Guadalupe at the front was helpful and I hope he is there if I ever go back! The beach was awesome! Pools were great! Activities all day, every day!
We miss you, Dreams! Hope to return next year!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

I read these reviews and am surprised, but maybe most of the respondents have not enjoyed "other" all inclusives? I would not return to this hotel for the following list of reasons:

1. hot tub is "cold"
2. adult pool was full of children
3. adult pool was only pool with warner water...others had iceberg water
4. pool drink service was good!
5. Seaside Grille should be renamed Slowside Grille. Too few untrained staff so waits were long for food.
6. Breakfast at Wolrd Cafe, was frustrating for many reasons, toasters did not toast, butter was margarine, food quality of poor, Lox were minimal and sometimes none, cereal was in boxes (coacoa puffs, rice crispies).....nothing special like other places we have stayed.
7. washcloths not replenished in room....strange?
8. room and bed turndown sporadic.
9. sushi quality ...so, so!
10. beach access was nice and plenty of walking. Watch for baby turtles in the morning.
11. mexican fiesta had strictly mediocore mexican food...pork, beef, chicken dishes, like world cafe.....nothing special!
12, food quality nothing near other all inclusives we have stayed in.......
13. baby bay shrimp is the largest shrimp you will get at this hotel, no lobster night or steak night.
14. very small servings at specialty restaurants...much like a french restaurant?
15. lemon pie was actually a "small" lemon tart, coconut shrimp were 3-skinny shrimp on skewers....very disappointing. Give ma a break....I felt they were trying to save money because of the small servings!
16. Spa services were "overpriced" ....so found massage services next door (north) approximately 200 yards down beach.....2-people $ 55.00, 1 hour massages.

Feel free to e-mail me with questions @ rockhouse44@msn.com

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Missouri Valley, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

We have stayed at other Dreams and was expecting the same quality at this resort that we have loved. The first thing I would like to mention is the TIMESHARE presentation that we were pressured into going to. They called it the Unlimited vacation club, but any way you wrap it up, its a timeshare. We thought that this lowered the caliber of this resort.
The rooms were nice, but if you state things are provided, then they should be. Our room did not have robes, slippers or a coffee maker. After the 3rd day requesting a coffee maker, I gave up. We did receive the robes when requested but the maid would take them and not replace them. Some days we had enough towels and some days not.
The food was excellent but the service was not what we have received or would expect for this rating of hotel. The wait staff has much to be desired at the Seaside. It seemed like you would get your first drink and then they didn't want to get you refills and the food took a while. Water seemed to be hard to come by because they didn't want to bring it,,,ever.
The bars had a great selection, however they were inadequately stocked, running out daily, and the temperature of the beer was warm. If you are looking for a night life, this place rolls up at 10:30 or 11 pm.
The pools were nice, the beach was clean and flat, however there was only one bathroom for the pool area and that was the furthest from the beach.
The best thing about the resort was the food and it was a short cab ride to downtown.
The least thing was the timeshare presentation and poor wait staff.
I would like to close that I would recommend Dreams Resorts, just not this location.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
DreamsVM, Manager at Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comments about our resort. We are committed to you, our valued customers, and are taking immediate corrective steps to regain your confidence in us. We have begun putting a comprehensive plan in place to provide better services, more tools and resources for our staff and improved procedures for handling operational difficulties in the future.

Alexis Sariñana
Quality Control Manager
VANCOUVER, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

We stayed here for a wedding with a group of 60 people for one week. Let's start with the positives: The resort really is quite pretty. The pools are nice, the resort is kept very clean. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The boogie boards and other water things were readily available. The kids club was AMAZING, my four year old loved it the few times he went there. Karla was great with the kids and they had plenty of activities. Would we stay here again? No. For numerous reasons: It was extremely overpriced. We have never stayed at an all inclusive resort before, so I'm glad we got to experience that, but we paid $4600 for one week for 3 adults and one child. We also paid for an ocean front room that I really wouldn't consider very oceanfront, I would consider it more "pool front." The food wasn't anything special at all, infact we started cabbing it into Puerto to eat. Nothing authentic, and room service was consistently wrong or cold. We had a jacuzzi on our balcony and it was full of hair. Sometimes we got towels, sometimes we didn't. I definitely wouldn't consider this a five star resort. We could have stayed in Puerto Vallarta for a fraction of the price and experienced delicious authentic Mexican food.

Stayed January 2011
We are really sorry if we could not fulfill your expectations in our Food & Beverage department, as the Quality Control Manager of the hotel I am very concerned about our services, please accept our apologies for failing in this instance, but please rest assured that your comments and feedback are certainly being taken into consideration and acted upon in order for us to improve our facilities and services.

Alexis Sariñana
Quality Control Manager
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Dreams is a small resort so there were no lineups for meals, drinks etc. There were always lounges available at the pools and beach. The staff were friendly, service was always good and tips were appreciated since wages are low. No reservations were required for dinner and usually no wait to be seated. The Entertainment Team, Ramon, Corona, Francisco etc were all great at trying to get us out of our chairs to join different activities.
There is an Explorer's Club for the children. The staff were all very caring and provided an interesting program. The children were able to "kiss" a sea lion, touch reptiles and birds, play games, build sandcastles for prizes, work on handicrafts etc. Our children loved the Club so much they did not want to have to go home at the end of the week.
The World Cafe restaurant is a buffet and provides three meals a day with lots of choices. All the waiters provided great service, especially Saul, Jesus, Enrique, Alejandro, Oscar, and the two Daniels on the second shift plus many more. Saul made us a fantastic coffee latte, better that the one at the Cafe in the lobby. The Portifina restaurant was our favourite, the lamb and filet mignon were excellent. El Patio the Mexican restaurant had a tenderloin with blue cheese that was delicious. The blackened sea bass and mahi mahi were exceptional at Oceano. The Seaside Grill had fantastic shrimp burritos and cerviches.
This resort has lots of stairs and the only problem we encountered was the lack of handrails. There were no handrails on the stairs going from the main lobby to the patio area of the World Cafe. There was a ramp in this area, but it was usually blocked by the restaurant. Guests with strollers were carrying them up or down the stairs to get to the main elevators or pool area. The resort is not close to the beach and there were no washrooms on the beach. The closest washroom back near the second pool also did not have any handrails for the stairs. The Dreams resort does not provide armbands for their guests. At other resorts, we have always had armbands and were able to move freely without being questioned. At this resort we were always being asked for our name and room number.
Overall our stay was great and we will probably go back next year.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!