“Best Vacation Ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico

You added Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. de los Cocoteros, Lote Hotelero G, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Albuquerque, NM
“Best Vacation Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a 10 night stay at the Riu Palace Pacifico. We had the time of our lives and were very sad to leave. We had a full ocean view room and it was perfect. We asked about upgrading to a Jacuzzi suite, but it didn't seem worth the cost ($213 additional per night). The only problem that we had was making the mistake of eating shellfish prepared by the pool, they made Paella one day and though it smelled fantastic and tasted good as well, it left both of us very ill for the rest of the night. That night just happened to be my birthday, which made it even more sad :(. We ate ate the steakhouse, the Japanese restaurant, and the fusion restaurant. They were all pretty good, but we would have been just has happy to eat at the buffet instead. I had seen in some of the other reviews that people had towel animals in their rooms every night, and by the fifth night we hadn't gotten any animals. We had needed to call the front desk to ask about something else, so I mentioned to them that we hadn't gotten any animals. I told them it wasn't a big deal, that I was just curious, and hung up the phone. Within 30 minutes a lady came to our door and brought us four of the cutest towel animals I had ever seen. I don't think I have anything else to add that no one else has mentioned. It truly was an amazing vacation and even though we got sick, we couldn't have asked for a better trip. Feel free to message me with any questions!

• 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Polish first
B.C. Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a two week stay at the Riu Palace Pacifico. It's our fifth time staying with the Riu chain, and hands down this was the best resort to date for us. We keep our vacations low key. Our main objective is to spend time together in the sun, with no deadlines, time clocks or schedules to worry about. With that in mind our days were filled with walks along the beach, time lounging in the sun either by the pool or on the beach, meeting new people or immersing ourselves in a great book. Perhaps a game of volleyball or bingo. Taking the kayaks out in the morning to frolic with the dolphins and or the mantarays. Spending time on the hobie cat for an afternoon sail, or playing with the boogie boards to cool off from the hot sun. Then while watching the sun go down we got glimpses of the whales out in the bay (bring binoculars) Is there a better way to end a perfect day! Hubby would then request a Chivas and off we went to our room to listen to the waves lap onto the shore from the balcony, until hunger pangs made us move! After a soak in the jacuzzi we went for our supper meal. I'm sure the speciality restuarants were good, but we only opted for the buffet. We never had a problem finding food to suit us each evening, (or any other meal for that matter). Oscar Hoya was our waiter (we chose to sit in his section each evening) and he simply could not do enough for us, he anticipated our every need even before we thought of it ourselves. He was so pleased to see us each evening and made us feel ike we had been friends for a life time! He was so pleasant that he made our evening meal simply a pleasure. In the morning buffet sweet Rosy is so cheerful and sunny her name simply suits her to a T! Both of these employees are true treasures for this resort.

I suppose if your looking for something to complain about you'd likely find it, but for us it was to just go with the flow and keep it real simple and easy and with this resort it was just exactly that! The resort is simply top notch. The staff are so eager to help you in any way they can. Go and enjoy, we did! We have no reservations whatsoever recommending Riu properties to anyone, and the Palace is right at the top!

• Liked — The level of service was excellent
  • Disliked — I had to leave!
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

My wife and I have vacationed many times at RIU hotels including the Riu Meringue, Riu Palace Punta Cana and twice at the RIU Palace Macao in Punta Cana. Each vacation was terrific.

Last week we vacationed at the RIU Palace Pacifico. The property is just as beautiful as on the website and brochure. We found the employees around the pool, bar servers, chambermaids and the wait staff in the restaurants to be very accommodating. The beach is nice and not crowded. The hotel is immaculate and the rooms are nice.

The hotel has four specialty restaurants which are only open for dinner and a large buffet that is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. When we checked in we asked for a reservation at one of the specialty restaurants. We were told that there were no availabilities for the next four nights. The hotel’s policy is that they allow guests to make reservations for the next four nights. We were only staying for five nights so that meant, at best; we would only have dinner in a specialty restaurant on our last night. I asked for the hotel manager and had a firm discussion with him in the lobby. Immediately, he found a table for four in the Japanese restaurant.

The next morning I met with the person in charge of customer service. She said there would be no other restaurants available for us. I got the hotel manager involved and immediately he found reservations for us on each of the remaining four nights. Interestingly, each night there were unused tables in each of the specialty restaurants.

Before you make reservations to stay at the Pacifico, make sure you can get reservations in the better restaurants.

The hotel was only about 50% occupied. Check out time was noon, but our flight was not until 5:00PM. The night before we left my brother asked for late check outs for both our rooms. He was told they would give us only one late check out …. his room.

I tried to get them to give my wife and I a late check out also. At first they said no and then said we could stay an extra two hours if we paid them $40. I said no. We put our bags in my brother’s room for the last two hours.

When he tried to check out, they told him he still had a $40 balance. Without telling him there would be a charge for the late check out; they billed his account. Needless to say my brother absolutely refused to pay and the front desk management backed off.

If you are willing to dig in your heels and fight for your rights; go to the Pacifico. If you are timid; plan to go elsewhere.

The restaurants are:

Krystal – fusion gourmet – so good we went twice
Guacamole – Mexican food – nothing special

Kyoto – Japanese – very good

La Toscana – steak house – not bad

La Peninsula – buffet restaurant – acceptable

• Liked — Beautiful accomodations
  • Disliked — Front desk
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Olds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

My husband & I just returned from the Palace and had a fantastic stay. We do not have one bad thing to say about this resort. We travel twice a year every year and thus far this resort has been our favorite. We NEVER had a problem getting a chair around the pool and we never went there until around 10am so the people that couldn't find one, I really find that hard to believe. The rooms are spotless clean and left that way everyday with some nights even getting a turn down service. If you want to eat at the a la carte restaurants you have to reserve which we never had a moments problem doing either as you can reserve 2 days ahead. We never had a chance to go to the Kyoto however we ate at the Krystal, La Toscana (twice) and the Guacamole and all were excellent!! The food was excellent as well at the buffet with them changing the supper menu up nightly. Very plentiful with 3 cooking stations to choose from with a different variety each night. If you can't find anything to eat, honestly you are extremely fussy. The service was also unbelievable!!! From around the pool to the piano bar and colibri bar you will never go without a drink and you will never see any empty glasses sitting anywhere in the resort. There are people working all day and night cleaning. The nightly shows were good keeping in mind the animation team starts first thing in the am and finishes up at nite with the shows. They are all very friendly and work hard at trying to keep the guests involved in different activities throughout the day. As far as children go, you will always encounter this at any resort and if you don't like it book an adults only!!!! My husband and I never found that to be a problem. If you're looking for nightlife however, this is not the place for you but you can go to the RIU Vallarta where they have a disco at no charge when you stay at the palace. Piano bar is very nice in the evening. We would highly recommend this resort to anyone thinking of going here. You will enjoy the beauty, service, food and awesome weather. Enjoy!!!!

• Liked — Everything!!!
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

Me and my wife stayed at Riu Palace from Dec 17 – Dec 24, we are in our mid twenties. We had a wonderful time in PV, Riu exceeded all our expectations and was top notch.

I like to write detailed reviews so will break it down in sections. For the summary I cannot find any shortcomings in this resort. The food was great, the service even better, plenty of pool chairs, and top shelf liquor. I would go back to this resort in a heart beat and would recommend it to people of all ages.

Getting there and Check In - After getting our luggage we zipped through the shark tank, one guy stopped me and told me I have to check in to my hotel right there or else I will be refused, that made me laugh. We had prepaid transportation through Olympus tours and their rep put us into a taxi and we were off to our hotel. About a 15 min ride to the hotel. Check in was smooth, friendly staff, our room was ready, got a description of the hotel facilities, towel cards and yes the Fruit punch while checking in. Bell boy bought our luggage to our room in two minutes.

Hotel - The hotel is absolutely gorgeous, the lobby is grand and the decorations are just incredible. They have gone full out to spend money to make this thing look beautiful. Paintings, chandeliers, flowers are tastefully chosen and presented. The grounds are kept beautifully, people are constantly cleaning. I am a early riser so during my walk in the morning I would see people cleaning ceiling fans, windows, floors and every corner of the hotel. Pool gets a scrub every morning as well.

Pool and Beach – The pools are great and there are enough lounge chairs to go around. Unless you are picky about a particular spot there is no need to reserve a chair. The area near the towel hut is louder due to kids activity centre and entertainment team runs their activities from that end. If you want to relax stay on the other end and if you want to be by the action then be close to the towel hut. Beach is huge and tonnes of chairs to go around. However, there is lack of shade due to the young palm trees. I wished they had cabanas at the beach.

Food - I really enjoyed the food at this resort. The quality of meats is great. The buffet has great choices there are so many different types of foods available it is hard imagine you won’t find your preferred food. The freshly made hamburgers at lunch are just like homemade. They have a Mexican corner which was good to have some New Mexican items other than tacos and fajitas we are used to. Also they have a station for pizza and pastas which varies everyday as well with different sauces and pizzas. I found pizzas to be really good they were not greasy or overloaded. The fish at the buffets was the highlight they make different types of fish everyday and I could not have enough of them. Desserts were really good as well and kids and adults all had fun with the chocolate fountain. Coconut ice cream is great and if you are an early riser get the donuts as they are freshly prepared. Nothing better than a cup of coffee with a hot donut at the beach and watch the waves. Lots of salads, dressings, toppings, soups, breads. You name it, they have it. It is hard to stay hungry at this place. We found plenty of hot food and cooks were always preparing fresh food.

Specialty restaurants – We tried Mexican, Krystal and Steakhouse and I would rate them in the same order as well. Mexican has buffet style appetizers and these were really good and of the highest quality. Main course is also very good. Krystal has really good main course dishes, I tried the lamb and it was really awesome. The desserts at these two restaurants did not hit the spot but hey the buffet is open to get your plate of desserts. Steakhouse is a paradise for seafood lover, they bring platter of seafood salmon, shrimp, crab, octopus salad etc. The lobster with the steak was good as well. The baked Alaska and chocolate cake were really good. These restaurants are a nice change from the buffet and we enjoyed the service.

Entertainment - The entertainment during the days is good, they come around asking if you want to participate and are not pushy. You can play volleyball, water polo, bingo, rifle shooting, darts and ping pong. The winners are presented with gifts before the night show. The nightly shows we watched 5 of them out of which 3 were very good and 2 were very bad. Here is a clue if the entertainment staff is dancing then the show will be a disaster. We enjoyed the Michael Jackson show really good dancers and a couple of comedy shows. The Grease show and Crazy show was a disaster for us but I am sure some people liked them; I think it comes down to personal opinion.

Service - The service at this place is unbelievable. One thing we noticed is whether you tip or not, the service you get is same. These people work long hours and work hard. They appreciate a tip but do not expect it. The drink service at pool, beach and the nightly entertainment is great they do not let you sit down with an empty cup. The waiters at buffet and restaurants will run to get your drinks or any other item you require. Even while standing in lobby I had servers come to me and ask if I want a drink. We ordered room service a couple of times and it was quick. The menu is not extensive but gets the job done. Some of the waiters are not fluent in English but if you explain to them your need they will cater to it.

Sports bar – Is open 24 hours and also has internet access for $3USD for 15 min. They have nachos and cheese, sandwiches and hamburgers which could be heated in the microwave. The sandwiches were good at the sports bar and come in handy during excursions.

Other notes - There is also free Wi Fi available in the lobby so bring your laptop. We took the bus to PV and it was a great experience. Mind you it was a bumpy ride from Wal-Mart to Malecon. We shopped at the flea market at the end of the Malecon, there are tonnes of deals if you shop around and bargain at least 50% of the original price. We also stopped at Cheeky Monkey for $1 Coronas, they also have good food. We took the taxi back for 200 pesos. Bucerias is about a 30 minute walk towards Grand Del Sol, the flea market over there also has some really good deals. The sunsets are gorgeous. Get your drink and find yourself a good spot and enjoy the sunset. There is a photographer in the lobby who will take your pics at sunset. We also rented a boat and went to the Arches for snorkeling, Mismaloya beach and a waterfall. The weather throughout our stay was great, mornings are a bit chilly but once sun comes out it gets very hot.

Last Note - I read some reviews before leaving and it makes me wondering how do these people plan their vacations. People Riu Palace is 40 minutes from downtown PV, if you want to be close to PV then find a hotel over there. Nuevo Vallarta is a hotel zone hence there are very few restaurants in the area as hotels are all inclusive. If it rains Riu Palace cannot control it neither can they prevent sting rays from coming near the beach. Bus service is only till 10.30 pm. Riu Palace does not have a night club. You are only allowed to have one beach towel if you need more just bring them down from the room. For specialty restaurant try to book early or a few days in advance. They have a system in place and they explain to you on the first day so it is not too hard to follow it. Their bars are loaded with different types of liquor but it not possible to have every single brand of wine or liquor. If you are particular about your brand either email the hotel or bring your own. This is Mexico there is moisture in the air and it will get in your clothes and it leaves a musty smell, bring a febreze with you if you cannot stand it. Hey, a day at a five star resort with a musty smell is better than a day at the work in a cubicle. I am tired of people complaining about things they should have researched about.

This is a great place to go and we did not encounter any problems. It is hard to complain when surrounded by sun, great food, liquor and excellent service. If you have already booked then do not worry about the negative reviews as I am sure you will have a great time. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Raleigh, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

The RIU website is very misleading about restaraunts and and 24 hour room service. They try to route everyone to the buffet, and the lucky few get to use the restaraunts. The breakfast and dinner buffet's are not bad at the Pennisnsula. Lunch is the same fried horribble food day after day. My girlfriend and I thought the buffet was an option, not the only option. Book your reservations for the restaraunts on-line before you depart or you wont be able to obtain a reservation during your stay. Dont excpect any help from customer service, because they dont care. Your best bet is to grease the host with a $20.00; that's how we got a table. The room service menu was very limited and of a terrible quality. If you do vacation here, make sure to get breakfast cards for your door. It's nice to have coffee sent to your room in the morning. You cant get it without the order cards for your door. We found out from a guest on day 3. The booze is limited and of the cheaper variety, the only beer is draft. I will say that the pool is awesome and the bartender at the pool bar named Alex was the most courteous person we came in contact with. Our only complaints about the pool were that you needed to be up and out marking a chair before 8am; if you wanted to get a chair near the pool and there is no childrens pool, so they are even splashing at the pool bar. The rooms are brand new and very nice, but it does not make up for the horrible service and lousy food. Our stay was so bad, I dont know that we would stay at any RIU resort again.

• Liked — Pool and beach
  • Disliked — the food and alchahol
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

My wife and I stayed at this property for five nights just before Christmas. We've stayed at all inclusives in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Cozumel but this was our first time on the pacific side of Mexico. In our other trips we have stayed at Palace Resorts properties and this was our first time with Riu. We're not "members" with either of them and in all cases have booked directly with the resort.

The grounds at this resort are beautiful. Because it's new the place is still very nice both inside and out and the beachfront access is perfect. The water isn't all that clear but it was still nice for swimming and you can walk or run along the beach as long as you could possibly want. You can even walk to the other Riu properties down the beach and have a drink or lunch, which we did once but we really didn't like the other places very much and we were happy we were at the Palace Pacifico.

We typically parked ourselves between the pool and the beach everyday and found it a little annoying that you needed to get there early in order to save a spot. By 8:00 in the morning all of the spots around the pool were claimed but that was OK by us because we wanted to avoid the crowds at the pool. There were a lot of kids there when we were, but that was probably because of it being the Christmas holiday.

Overall the food and drinks were good, but we had a couple of observations to share. First, we really didn't like the reservation system for the sit-down dinners, especially because we arrived on a Saturday and were told that there were no reservations available until Tuesday night and that we would need to eat at the buffet until then. Well, we were able to get in on Sunday and Monday night through the waiting list and just showing up to see if there were any cancellations. So, it was a bit of a hassle, but it worked. And, because we didn't really like the buffet that much (except when they had the special Christmas buffet and carribean night) we were happy that we didn't just accept the fact that they didn't have any reservations. We really liked both the steakhouse and the gourmet/fusion restaurant, but thought that the japanese restaurant wasn't very good. As for the buffet, well it serves its purpose, but we weren't overly thrilled. As usual, if you stick to the fresh food that they are grilling up you'll probably be happy and if things look like they have been sitting there for a while, just avoid them. Another thing that we thought was pretty cool is that there is a lot of outdoor dining tables. The weather was so perfect when we were there it would have been sad to be inside so it was really nice to get to have almost all of our meals and evening drinks outside!

So, all-in-all, we had a great time, got some good relaxation in, ate and drank a lot, and the weather and sunsets were amazing. But, if you are going to go, make sure you get dinner reservations early and if they don't have dinner reservations available get on the waiting list or just show up and see if they can get you in - it's worth the hassle. Last but not least, we got a much better deal on our rate by calling them directly and asking for discounts above what they had listed on other travel sites and their own website so I'd also recommend that approach.

• Liked — Great beach, good food/drink, beautiful grounds, clean/nice room
  • Disliked — hallways were loud, dinner reservations needed, they gave us someone elses room at check in and we saw naked people
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico? Share your experiences!