“Great Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico

You added Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. de los Cocoteros, Lote Hotelero G, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Orland Park, Illinois
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful experience at the Riu Palace Pacifico. The service was wonderful throughout our entire stay. Our room was not huge but was big enough for us since we weren't in there too often. We thought the food was pretty good as well. I enjoyed all of the restaurants while my husband really only liked Krystal. The buffets, especially lunch, were not the best but we ended up going to one town over, Bucerias, a couple of times for lunch so that did not really concern us too much. Overall we had a wonderful experience and would return to the Riu Palace Pacifico in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed here January 2013 and as soon as we arrived we were dissatisfied. The decor is very outdated and there's a funky smell in the lobby. We were greeted with a drink as soon as we approached the front desk, which is a great gesture, but the drink tasted like fake juice filled with high fructose corn syrup all the way. The hotel rooms are average sized, but the beds are ridiculously hard and uncomfortable…as if you are sleeping on a plastic mattress. The sheets and pillow cases were so used that they had pilling all over them (little grain sized balls caused from over washing). There is no vent or fan in the bathroom, which should be standard in any bathroom, and no robes either. When on vacation, you don't tend to stay in your room much so we tried not to focus on any of this. The outdoor architecture and design is actually pretty nice and the pool is quite large which is a must for any resort. Let's fast forward to the food at this place; one word-horrendous. Everything pretty much tasted awful! The desserts tasted old; as if they've been sitting out for days... guacamole looked like a smoothie rather than its normal consistency (isn't that mexico's speciality??), scrambled eggs were runny (how can you mess that up????), all the drinks tasted like garbage, etc, etc. This resort really had nothing going for them aside from the great service...everyone is attentive and more than happy to do their jobs. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone to be honest. Very disappointing vacation!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Superior, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The Riu Palace Pacifico is a wonderful splendid hotel that offers great service and attention.

Prior to arrival I emailed the customer service desk requesting my room to be on the 7th floor (my booking was for a Jacuzzi suite) as well as a reservation for a restaurant on the day of arrival. Cecilia responded to my request quickly and professionally and noted my requests. When I arrived at check in she happened to be standing next to the staff checking me in, she recognized my name and made she the check in person saw my request. They were able to grant my requests and we were off to our room. Let me say I like the extra space and the special wonderful views from the suite. The 8th floor may be a better choice as it has 2 levels of balcony, but maybe not as negotiating the spiral stair case might be tricky at night.

The room was spectacular, the only drawback was one that I had read here is no light in the shower, but I did not really find that an issue. The frig was only partially stocked as service had not been there yet for the day, but not a problem. We changed and went exploring. By the time we returned to the room the mini frig was completely restocked and the wonderful room attendant had left us a towel animal as they do on cruise ships. Raefaella was our room attendant and was first rate. We never saw her in the room as she magically knew when we were out and cleaned and reset the room daily. Each day with a new surprise towel animal. Once in a while we would catch glimpse of her in the hall and she was always smiling and offered us warm greetings.

For breakfast and lunch most days we sat out on the deck, where Mr. Sam and also Thomas took very good care of us. The drinks we requested, coffee and OJ day 1 were immediately there on day 2, and whatever tweaks we made were there day 3 and so on. We needed anything and they were right on it.

At the bar we found that we liked the Tecate Light bottle beers which always flowed freely, plus they make any mixed with premium liquors if you ask. From there my girlfriend thought she would like these beers in the room, I inquired at the front desk and before we were back to the room the frig was now stocked with Tecate Light. Excellent service.

The premium restaurants were good, our favorite being the Mexican. We have been to a number of Riu’s before and each offers similar restaurants. Normally the Mexican is out least favorite, but here they offer wonderful appetizers, soup and entrees.

Out at the pool we found a delightful set of areas to take up camp. Initially I was worried that with only one large pool it would be to crowded but it is designed in a way that it does not feel like one big pool. Plenty of seating areas with cover and not to suit everyone’s taste. The Pool bar tender Nelson (not 100% certain of the name) was fantastic. He would see me coming and have a drink at the pool bar when I arrive. There was a female waitress that took care of us as well, I forget her name, but she was fantastic with her “happy hour” as she called each delivery of libations. One of my concerns was write ups about one restroom and it was far. In reality I did not find it far at all and only one restroom seemed very adequate.

We explored to both PV and the little town down the beach. Both fun excursions, for PV we took a bus to town and then a cab back. Cab ride even with a stop at Wal-mart was $25.

Over all it was a top notch experience, they service and cleanliness of the hotel is what makes it stand out. I am happy to tell you more and give you additional pearls if you need any, just drop me a line. This hotel is top notch in my book, especially when you throw in the economics of the entire trip. No one ever asks anything of you other than making sure you are having a pleasant holiday, of course I recommend rewarding those with a tip that make work so hard to make your stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ocien view is always worth it to me. For me it is a vacation and I want the best, go for the Jaq. S...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We just got back from our fourth trip to this hotel. We were quite impressed that this hotel continues to maintain a high standard of service and quality. Special thanks to the concierge (wrote her name down but lost it - lo siento amiga) in helping us with getting and administering a prescription for my daughter. The animation team/kids club staff were also much appreciated (thanks Liliana, Lily, Luis, Pepe, Juaranjo and Lucas). Our maid service was excellent and the pool bar staff were fantastic (sometimes too fantastic!!).

Unfortunately upon checking our bank account upon our return home we found over $5200 in fraudulent withdrawals from our account. I booked a trip to Las Calitas and then went to get the cash from the ATM in the lobby to pay for it. I attempted to withdraw from "Checking" and it would not work. I though maybe it was because the amount I attempted was large so I tried again with a smaller amount and it still didn't work - finally I used my credit card and had no problem, Later in the week my wife used her bank card and had no problem withdrawing when she chose "debit card" versus checking. The day of my attempted withdrawals from my debit card the fraudulent withdrawals started - each business day up to $1400 per day. While insurance should cover our loss, the process takes time and we are temporarily out for this amount.

In the future I will resort to the practice which we abandoned of carrying traveler's checks and larger amounts of cash. If I need to use an ATM it will only be from a bank and not a little independent ATM machine.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed at the Riu Palace Pacifico in December, 2012. Greeted with a welcome drink at check-in which was very fast. The rooms are exceptionally clean and well appointed. The staff works hard to meet all your vacation needs. The food is excellent in the la Penisula, buffet. Lots of variety and seemed to be different every evening. The food and service at the steakhouse restaurant, Tuscano, was fabulous. The bar service was outstanding at all the locations, especially the beach service. The overall cleanliness of the resort is immaculate, staff are always dusting, mopping and sweeping. This Riu had the most friendly and accommodating staff I have ever encountered. There was never any problem to get a beach chair or pool chair anytime during my stay. The beach area is beautiful and you can walk for miles. It is fun and safe to take the local bus into Bucerias or the Malecon in PV. This was a wonderful 2 week stay and wiil definitely return.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this resort from Jan. 04th to 11th. As many other folks here already said, the resort is great and service is above great. Everyone is nice, helpful and extremely customer’s service oriented. The hotel, rooms and the common areas are super-clean, and is being cleaned all the time. The beach is good and there are no rocks like in some other places in the same area. However, if you are into swimming, you may be out of luck, since the water is not clear at all, and your swimming skills have to be pretty good because of the strong underwater current and waves. But don't be discouraged - grab a bogey board (free to use) and enjoy mini-surfing.

If you like long walks, the property of the resort is very small, and other than what you see on the picture (pool area and front gardens) there is no really place to walk after dinner. So, most of the people hang out at the bar :) As far as the restaurants are concerned, the food is typical resort food. If you enjoy fine gourmet food, I would recommend you to pre-book the ala-carte restaurants. Otherwise, you will be choosing from a huge variety of "just ok" type of food. To book the ala-carte restaurants you have to see customer service desk in the morning at around 8-9. Otherwise, you won't get a sit. Tip: you can book 2 nights at the same time. "Chrystal" is the best of them, followed by "Kyoto". Mexican was just fine, not bad. We didn't try "La Toscana" for the reason that we didn't like the buffet in this restaurant during the day and therefore had no trust for it as a "stake house". Attention wine connoisseurs (and I want to underline "connoisseurs"): you out of luck - the wine selection is awful, but for majority of people it's just fine. All in all, we had a good time, and all above are just comments rather than complain.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
North Vancouver, British Coumbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We escaped rainy Vancouver, BC and took the Sunwings flight for 5 hrs.directly to Puerto Vallarta and then skipped the bus and took a cab to the hotel to avoid the check-in crowd. The hotel was impressive with a huge Xmas tree made with red and white poinsiettas in the huge lobby.There was signs of Xmas everywhere but not too much to be annoying. Nueva Vallarta has much cleaner beaches than PV and good for walking and swimming. The staff were great all around and meals were excellent (even the buffet) but specially their theme restaurants which has to be booked ahead for one of their 2 seatings. The Riu has plenty of activities including a restaurant tour as one wonders what happens to all the wasted buffet food. I made the choice of eating only fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch and usually fish for dinner. Figured the Pina Coladas served around the pool all day were giving me enough calories.Didn't gain a pound!!
***beware the lock on the door!. You close it and think it's locked but it isn't. You have to pull it twice. A lady on our floor had her purse,ID and jewellery stolen. There is a safe in the room.
Also the hotel has a bar in the room but they would not put your favourite in it but again, it is free in the bars downstairs.Bottled water was always replaced. Except for tips, everything is included and we thought for $4800, for two for 2 weeks, it was a very good deal. Avoid PV and visit Bucerias which is like what PV was 30 yrs ago and much closer. Learn to say "Nada" and don't buy the silver!

Room Tip: We stayed in rm 7067 which was perfect as it had a great partial view of the beach and was away from...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico? Share your experiences!