“Fantastic six days!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico

You added Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. de los Cocoteros, Lote Hotelero G, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Buderim, Australia
“Fantastic six days!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Just had 6 fantastic days here. Everything was spot on. Had recently visited Riu Yacatan which was great but this was a cut above that one for service and variety of food. If you don't like it here you are hard to please.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Polish first
White Rock, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

fabulous hotel,food great,they even created a non smoking area in the out side dining at the buffet.Entertainment good,drink selection first class,but one major problem,lack of public toilets.No toilets by any pools or beach,the closest was below the buffet or in the front lobby!!we saw little boys urinating in to the pool,who knows what was happening in the pool!!!! I complained to the front desk and they told me they had ,had many other similar complaints and planned to rectify the situation,we will see!I would still go again but stay out of the pool when busy

Room Tip: stay away from the ice machine
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Coralville, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I will start off by saying, my husband and I definitely like upscale places, but our main focus is getting into the local culture. We always try to eat away from tourist places so we can get a feel for what it is really like for the people that live in these destinations.

The Riu is a gorgeous hotel. They are constantly mopping and cleaning so the marble/title, floors are at a constant shine. The rooms were nice, nothing spectacular, but large and comfortable. We were upgraded to an ocean view room at check in, I'm not sure there is much of an advantage to those rooms verses the partial views, as we still could not see the beach.

We chose this place, knowing it was not near anything, but hoping we would be able to lay around the pool/ocean and soak up the sun for 4 days.

Things that were good:
The pool area and beach are very nice. plenty of places to relax.
The bar tenders keep your drinks full all day.
The rooms are spacious
The staff is very friendly
The 80 minute couples massage was AWESOME!!!!

Things that weren't so great!
The beds were firm, had body imprints, and uncomfortable. The pillows were hard too. which made sleeping not so enjoyable.
The halls echo, the pool echos, so unless you are passed out drunk sleeping is very difficult.
I do not drink alcohol and the non alcoholic drink options were lame. I drank a lot of mango juice from concentrate I'm sure. They did not have fresh fruit smoothies which I totally expect in the tropics and at such a nice resort.
The food was just okay. Not aweful, but not authentic. Breakfast and lunch were buffet style, which just isn't my thing, maybe its yours. dinner, except for the buffet, required reservations and specific attire. The odd part was that it was off season and not croweded yet reservations were limited. They required formal attire at one restaraunt and pants at all the others (except buffet), sure it helps with the atmosphere, but I'm on a tropical vacation and just want to wear my swim trunks all day.
Riu has a policy where locals can come in with day passes or stay for really cheap which was a nice touch at getting near the local culture. However, they over took the swim up bar, there were children jumping and splashing around the bar and the 'in pool' lounge seating, making it hard to find any peace.
Lastly, they had nightly entertainment, which was cute, but as fare as quality....well.... it was dancers lip syncing to american music. I would have rather seen Mexican entertainment, because I certainly can tell this is a culture that loves to dance and have fun, as the theatre was packed with locals every night.

I don't want to be too lengthy, or sound too picky. I really do think the hotel was just okay. We will not likely do an all inclusive thing again, but definitely not somewhere the beds are that uncomfortable and the food is just mediocre.

Room Tip: Ocean views are farther from the ocean and in the center of the "U" shaped hotel making al...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tillsonburg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed at the Riu Palace Pacifico from Sept 13 thru 20th. Although the weather reports mentioned rain daily, we had sunshine everyday, rain one evening and another day in the early morning...nothing else.
The flight was with Sunwing and they advised of the time share vultures upon leaving the airport - be wary.
The Sunwing/Signature rep explained many topics on the bus ride to the resort which again was very helpful.
Our room key/card did not work the first or second day but after 5 or so attempts to get this fixed at the front desk, the problem was fixed, well almost.
The food was very good.
The room was always made up early with the mini frig well stocked. If more water was needed, just picked it up at the front desk.
Drinks were non-stop, but the taste test failed, Don Julio at the pool bar and outside lobby bar was not Don Julio along with other "brands". Shame on you Riu Palace. The only bar where the drinks were the brand on the bottle was the indoor lobby/lounge bar. A real cheap-out for the Riu name.
The grounds were immaculate.
We watched a couple of the shows and were not overly thrilled with them, average entertainment for a resort.
We have stayed at several Riu's including the Riu Puerto Vallarta and would not pay the extra for the palace if we did decide to go back to PV.
All in all a very good vacation but would not return.

Room Tip: Other then what you pay for, the key/card is ready for you when you arrive. Music and entertainment...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Denver,CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We got an amazing package price through Expedia for Sept 15-22. Firs time we did nt use Apple. Althought we paid $25 and $30 for cab to hotel and back, it was worth it to simply walk striahgft out of terminal int a very eagerly waiting cab. Normally, you have to wait around and deal with a rep and it is just annoying.
We arrived around 2:30 and waited till about 4 and the wait was worth it as we got a very nice room.
The 15th was MX Independence Day so there was a lot of activity planned aorund that and I suppose more locals than normal. No problems.
We ate at Guacamole and Krystal - both I thought were awesome, fish in particular. at Guacamole I was hungry so I ordered all of the entrees. Soups and pastries at all restauraunts are outstanding.
The staff were very eager to please - everywhere.
Mid week and about 10am, i witnessed an event I will liely never see agian and i imagien few ever do. Right in front of the old abandoned house right next to the RPP, baby turtles were hatching, crawling up out of the sand and heading to the water. Dozens of them. Right out of an unremarkable area that I walked over several times already.
On a sail boat (Elias Mann) excursion to Yelapa, we had dolphins (big ones) swimming right under the front of the boat. At Yelapa, I took a walking trip with one of the crew members on the excursion to the waterfalls. Very worthwile to see and take a dip in. Highly recommend this trip which we booked int he lobby of the hotel with the Apple guy.
It is sometimes hard to get drinks to be cold or enough ice and sometimes hard to get the coffee hot but what a great week, and for a good price, and a fantastic room.
Some say it is a little quiet. I did go out each night lookign for some fun in one of the many drinking spots and it was quiet ( a little off season) but on the other hand, after seeing overindulgers all day and the 24 hour bar, we dont really need any more drinking than is available now.
We only had rain once, in the early morning of the day of our excursion. It really camd down hard so we asked about cancelling and gettign a refund. They never refund so we went. By the time we arrived at Paradise Village, it had stopped and became another outstnading day in paradise.
I have a thought. With all the people walkign the beach and all the attention to environment now, why couldnt the govt or the tourism peole or event he hotels come up with a way to let people help dispose of all the trash along the beaches. RPP does an excellent job withing the lines of their beachfront but as soon as you go off site, it is pretty bad. Watching a baby turtle have to push off of soem plastic bottle makes me thing we coudl all pitch in and dump stuff in trash bins (nice ones that dont mess up the beach).
As in all hotels I have been to in MX in Cancun and PVR, the workout rooms coudl be better. Why cant you have some free weights? A little more equipment?
We have stayed at RPP twice, Riu Vallarta twice, Riu Jalisco 3 times and Samba once. I look the looks of Jalisco the best because I am not a big fan of the european look. I really did not enjoy the Vallarta much in Nov (too many roudy drunk canucks).
Thanks to management at RPP, past and present. Thanks to Alexandre at the pool bar. Thanks to Jessica in lobby. Thanks to both Javiers (the reception guy and the hotel manager)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thornton, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We spent a week at the Riu in early June 2012, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The food was very good, with a surprising amount of variety. The service was very good. Everything was immaculate, inside and out.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
courtice ontario canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

per usual gorgeous RIU building tons spent on flooring lighting gardens:)
we are beach preferred travellers and this was perfect for that
drink service at the beach was such a treat! I even requested coffee one groggy late morning and
our server delivered!! Mauricio!! tipped well and often they work so hard in the hot sun all day and always a smile :)
we travelled early aug and we were blown away how HOT the ocean was not refreshing at all but ggreat beach and clean ocean bottom and fun waves to play in ! the pool was a pass as it was at least 32C was like a hot bath went in once and got out fast.temps on our holidays were typicall 30C+ and a bit dip down at night but not much, humid and rain daily but short spurts and thunderstorms and lighting shows nightly loved it! buffett was always a good choice but gets boring after a few days Had one reservation dinner at mexican restaurant Guacamole BUT it was the best mexican food we had all vacation and it was our last night ! I highly recommend it.
few complaints really,washrooms for pool and ocean area primarily ocean area was a 10+min walk so you know everyone went in the ocean, that too me is just plain ridiculous they have the room to put a nice one in and no excuses as to why they dont have one!!
second complaint it was impossible to find cold water anywhere not in the showers or taps in your room the fridge was just above room temp at best the showers by the beach to rinse off luke warm sure they had ice for drinks etc but it was a struggle with the ocean so hot the pool so hot to get relief from the hot sticky temps
third complaint bar service on the whole resort ( cept beach) was inconsistant,most were not aware of what was on the drink list or what it was or how to make it,dont put it on the list if you dont have it or dont know how to make it? ask for liquor by name is my only suggestion
piano bar was so sketchy ordered our drink full bar sitting there and they go in the back??and come out with your drinks? odd why not use the alcohol on the shelves in the bar? well
we did find the booze was watered down, shame so ordered doubles we tipped good service cause it was good ! why tip if they are doing a lousy job. simple really.
drank only bottled water stayed healthy ate the ice stayed healthy
good stay 1 week was long enough, we did have lots of mexican people at the resort it was a national holiday for them and so good for them!! inlanders come to the water and enjoy themselves nice people and very family oriented :)
were they a bit loud when speaking to on another ?yes but ahem they reminded me of americans in that way heh
Over all a good week a good beach holiday and great service over all ( tip rent the sun umbrellas totolly worth it for the day )
was nice to see and swim in the pacific first time for my spouse and he loved the waves
would we stay here again not likely prefer the blue waters of the caribbean sea and love mayan cancun area of mexico!
but was nice to visit and everyone should but would recommend the palace for sure !

Room Tip: Asked for garden view got a full view of the ocean as well as green grass was pleasantly surprised b...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico? Share your experiences!