“Reservation Nightmare” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 24 hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Seattle, WA
“Reservation Nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I had been emailing back and forth with the reservations person for a couple weeks - I have a Tippr voucher for a studio or one-bedroom suite. I had specified in all the emails that I wanted a two-bedroom and we had agreed on how much extra I would pay, etc. When they emailed me the confirmation, it was for a ONE-bedroom, not a TWO. I emailed them a week ago to have them change it and send it back. Haven't received a single response in over a week.

In all my interactions with them prior to this, they were super helpful & responded relatively quickly. Now I'm so frustrated, I don't know what to do. I'm hoping they will read this and actually reply to me so I can get this squared away. I can't make flight reservations until I know that they have a TWO-bedroom available during the dates we agreed upon.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The property is beautiful. Layout was akward. Service: No servers at the pool. There was only one restuarant open the entire trip (they said it was off season). Nothing was offered as stated on our Living Social deal. No cooking classes, yoga, nothing. If you stayed at the resort the entire time you would be bored. If you are looking for a place to relax and that's it Taheima is for you.
Value: Good. Food and drinks could have been a little tastier. Drinks were watered down. Did not get one single buzz at the resort. We found that they had the same lunch menu 4 out of the 5 days we were there. Other things overlapped quite a bit as well. I appreciated how they were willing to accomodate special request if we did not see anything appetizing on the menu they made it for us.
Sleep Quality: Excellent. Beds were comfortable. We slept like babies and that was a major quality. Also loved the room size. Seperate living room area. VERY NICE
Cleanliness: No problems there either. The rooms were always clean and the resort was too.
Location: Thankfully we had a rental car otherwise the resort is it. Nothing to keep you entertained unless you want to go to the beach the entire trip. Although not very far, the resort is NOT in Puerto Vallarta but we loved going into town. We ALWAYS felt safe, it is in a gated community.

I would come back I think? No time soon though.

Room Tip: Be careful with the exchange rate. It is different EVERYWHERE. The resort is amongst the highest whe...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We purchased a LivingSocial deal for an all-inclusive 4 night stay with a $50 daily credit to use towards cooking classes, tours, spa treatments or golf. We stayed here over Labor Day weekend, which was during their off-peak time. Cooking classes and yoga were not available. Also, the spa was closed on Sunday ... what kind of Wellness Resort and Spa closes the spa for a weekend day?
FYI - This resort is turning into a nudist resort (at the pool and the dance club) beginning in September 2012.

Pros
- Rooms were nice
- Servers were friendly
- Spa was nice (a two-bedroom room converted into a spa)
- Food was decent
- Water is drinkable

Cons
- Do not opt for the private pool; you cannot use it after hours since there are no lights or covered for when it rains ... it also is not cleaned like the main pools
- No activities to partake in (no yoga, no cooking classes)
- There was a server at the pool on Monday ... otherwise, you have to get your own drinks from the bar and carry them down to the pool
- Resort layout sucks ... you always have to walk around the property to get to the restaurant(s), lobby, bar, internet center, etc
- Walkways are not lit at night ... not that I'm a pansy, but its scary
- We could not make use of our daily credit every day ... double-check with the resort before you go regarding what is available and what you are able to use your credit on (for example, spa treatments over $X)
- No hot water (lukewarm at best)
- No hair conditioner
- Jacuzzi was not hot

Read the review from "Island Girl_123." Pretty much spot on.
Would I stay there again? No (unless I wanted to go to a resort and not be bothered by anyone)
Would I recommend this place to a friend? No

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

If ever a hotel should be getting 5 stars this one would if it were run better. The restaurants and bar are lovely and the view from the Agave bar across the resort is not to be missed. The rooms are really condos so they are spacious and the beds great.

But that is were the experience ends. Getting any kind of service at this resort is an all day process. Meals take too long, pool side service is terrible...just getting ice is an ordeal. The bar is poorly stocked and there is little to do except lay by the pool or go to the gym.

We found ourselves leaving the resort more often than we intended just to get a meal and a drink that didn't take half the day.The service (when you do get some) is very friendly and attentive.

Whoever runs this resort is not doing a very good job. We left disappointed.

OH! Apparently this hotel is being converted to a nudist or a swinger resort so check before you book!

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor have small pools which are nice. Be sure and ask for the interior faci...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed at Taheima in March over spring break week and had a really great vacation. We did use a coupon and found the resort to be a great deal for what we paid. However, I am not sure I would have been as pleased had we spent more than we did.

To start with the positives:

-it is truly a beautiful property

-we used their airport transfers, which was easy and is $45 each way

-check in was easy; front desk staff nice (appeared to have several new staff getting trained)

-found we got a $50 spa credit daily for the spa, though that wasn't mentioned on my coupon
*Beware though, that means you are paying about $40 for a massage each day if you get the cheapest services - that credit cannot be combined over days and does NOT apply toward the specials that the spa runs. I learned that the hard way.
*Be ready to pay taxes upon checkin with a coupon

-we didn't even ask and were given a room with a plunge pool (though we didn't use it once)

-spoke with the time share rep, who was super nice and simply gave us a brochure and asked us to let her know if we had any questions - yay for low pressure! Liked that a lot.

-got an amazing complimentary foot massage by the pool on the 1st day

-Great pool!!!!!

-Several cabanas

-Plastic chairs, towels by pool

-super low occupancy rate, even during a high season; staff said 30% (that was great for us)

-very few kids, and not sure why you would take kids there - there is not much of anything for them

-transportation to the beach every hour; it is a five minute ride

-beach restaurant was great. Loved the nachos and finally got ceviche there

-breakfast buffet was the best I've seen. Tons of fresh fruits and fresh juices, plus plenty of egg/meat dishes as well as pastries, cereal, cottage cheese, beans, breads, etc.

-lunch was very good, but the options are limited. One day they were 'out of fries.'

-the soups at dinner are great

-the bar has a great view of the property and made wonderful margaritas.

-room was very spacious and had kitchenette (yet there isn't really anywhere to buy food nearby)

-lots of closet space

-two tvs, one in bedroom and one in sitting area

-Yoga classes were amazing - not so challenging, but a fair workout and the massage at the end was the best part!

-super clean and beautiful resort

THINGS TO WORK ON:
-Poor service at pool (usually just one server, and often he wouldn't even acknowledge me)
I ordered a drink and it never came.

-inconsistencies in wait staff - some are very friendly, a few barely spoke and were unattentive

-SLOW service at all meals, though this is the way of life at a resort in Mexico.

-if you are interested in late night activities, there are none other than the bar.

-Dinner portions so small that we were still hungry – no other dinner options w/ only one restaurant

-I know this place is known for its cuisine, but we were not impressed with dinner. I had the WORST tuna I've ever tasted here. We finally learned to order three entrees to get enough food - and we are very fit people who don't eat that much!

-though the room is nice and spacious, it has no pant hangers, one trash can, no glasses, no book about amenities, very bare white walls

-water is HARD to find here. Ask to take a bottle with you from dinner. I would refill mine from the sink and put in the fridge. Water is safe to drink at the resort.

-you have to sign after every meal. I have been to three all-inclusives, and only one you didn't have to do this.

-The studio had only yoga and tae bo classes when we were there - no zumba and no cooking as advertised

-Lunch had same menu every day but they were out of fries one day

-No one ever had ceviche

-The chips at lunch are ‘healthy’ and also terrible

-The golf club nearby is nice, but we didn't have a ride back and had to call a taxi

-we attempted to go to the pharmacy to buy some snacks and got lost walking back. That was our own fault since we just were dropped off by the pool shuttle on our first day.

-Cabanas almost impractical as the wind would whip the curtains from their velcroed holding place

Overall, we had a great relaxing vacation of just reading and eating. If you are looking for a low-key place to visit, this is a great fit.

Room Tip: Don't get a room that faces the 'courtyard' unless there is also another view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I visited Taheima in August 2011 on a package deal purchased through Luxury Link which consisted of an all-inclusive four-night stay, welcome champagne, massages and a romantic dinner experience. We were greeted with a cool towel and welcome drink upon arrival in the beautiful lobby. We were given wristbands upon check-in, which I'm not a big fan of - it's so low-budget. The wristbands are a waste because you still have to sign your name and room number when you order F&B at the restaurant or poolside. You have to walk around the infinity pool to get to from the lobby/restaurants the rooms - not a problem, but I found the layout a bit odd. Otherwise the grounds are beautiful. The infinity pool was great and we never had a problem scoring lounge chairs - even when we didn't get an early start.
We had a one-bedroom on the ground level with a "private" plunge pool. The plunge pools are not heated and you can see your neighbors through the fence between units. The foliage between the plunge pool and the main pool doesn't offer much cover either, so beware. The room was spacious, and the king bed was very comfortable. A/C in the room was quiet and kept us nice and cool.
Only one restaurant, Cafe Maria, was open during our stay, but the food was tasty and the staff was very attentive. Still, it would have been nice to have another dining option.
It was the beginning of rainy season during our stay, and it rained for about an hour each evening. This gave us the perfect opportunity to wind down after a long day at the pool and before heading to Cafe Maria for dinner. On our last evening at Taheima it POURED. As I mentioned, there is only one route from the rooms to the lobby & restaurant area, and that was flooded. Yes, flooded. We had to wade through four inches of water to make it to Cafe Maria in time for dinner!

We had a couples massage and really enjoyed it. As others have mentioned, this resort is not on the beach, but they do offer a shuttle to their nearby beach club. The tuna ceviche at the beach club was delicious! Be prepared for locals trying to get you to buy things while you're on the beach.

All in all, we had a good time at Taheima. I would probably return - but only if the drainage issue has been solved.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

First of all I need to say that the people that work at this resort are incredibly nice. The waiters were wonderful and the concierge(sp) was very helpful. We were there during their NOT busy time. The resort was probably less than 20 percent full while we were there. The room we had was nice. However the bathroom was not that clean for such a fancy resort. There was hair in the tub and it didn't drain well. We asked to have it fixed and they said they would fix it. We finally gave up and just accepted it after three days of asking. I'm rating the service down jst because of this.

The pools were nice.

If you are planning to come here to be near the night life and parties of Puerto Vallarta, then I wouldn't stay here. It is about a 45 minute cab ride to the city and there really isn't much night life near here. If you just want peace and quiet then I think this is the place for you. The have an agreement with another resort for beach access which they provide a shuttle too, however it is easily walked. My biggest complaint here is the same as my biggest complaing for Puerty Vallarta, when you get to the beach, they won't leave you alone. They act really nice and interested in you and then the big sell comes and they want you to come see their property and buy a time share. This also happens in the city.

At the beach we went para sailing which was wonderful, but not long enough. Cost was ok though $50 US.

We took in one touristy tour called Rhythms of the Night which I would highly recommend. Very professionally done and good buffet style dinner to go with it along with a lot of fun on the boat ride to and from. The crew of the boat made it an expeience that we will never forget.

As for activities at the resort we took part in a Temazcal ceremony. This was done by a very sweet man. If you have never done this, then I highly recommend it. My partner did a lot of working out int thier gym and participated in the yoga classes and she enjoyed them. She also had a pedicure that was nice.

One problem in this area was they didn't always know what was going on. They told us that Yoga would be at a particular time twice and no one showed up to lead the classes.

We came back from dinner once and the power was out in our room. They did fix it quickly and I wouldn't mention it except one morning the power was out in the gym which meant a lot of the equipment didn't work and there would be no air conditioning. This is not good in PV as you might imagine.

I don't think I'll go back, not because of any real bad experience, but mostly because it is too far from PV.

I do wish them luck and I again want to compliment the waiters and kitchen staff. The food was great and their service was excellent.

It would be nice if you could get wireless in your rooms, but it isn't too big of deal.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the rooms with the private pool...it really isn't private and unless you w...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Taheima Wellness Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!