“A great resort if you are looking for quiet relaxation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Taheima Wellness Resort & Spa

You added Taheima Wellness Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Taheima Wellness Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Near El Tigre Golf Course, Nuevo Vallarta 63732, Mexico   |
Ranked #16 of 26 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Austin, TX
“A great resort if you are looking for quiet relaxation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed at Taheima in March over spring break week and had a really great vacation. We did use a coupon and found the resort to be a great deal for what we paid. However, I am not sure I would have been as pleased had we spent more than we did.

To start with the positives:

-it is truly a beautiful property

-we used their airport transfers, which was easy and is $45 each way

-check in was easy; front desk staff nice (appeared to have several new staff getting trained)

-found we got a $50 spa credit daily for the spa, though that wasn't mentioned on my coupon
*Beware though, that means you are paying about $40 for a massage each day if you get the cheapest services - that credit cannot be combined over days and does NOT apply toward the specials that the spa runs. I learned that the hard way.
*Be ready to pay taxes upon checkin with a coupon

-we didn't even ask and were given a room with a plunge pool (though we didn't use it once)

-spoke with the time share rep, who was super nice and simply gave us a brochure and asked us to let her know if we had any questions - yay for low pressure! Liked that a lot.

-got an amazing complimentary foot massage by the pool on the 1st day

-Great pool!!!!!

-Several cabanas

-Plastic chairs, towels by pool

-super low occupancy rate, even during a high season; staff said 30% (that was great for us)

-very few kids, and not sure why you would take kids there - there is not much of anything for them

-transportation to the beach every hour; it is a five minute ride

-beach restaurant was great. Loved the nachos and finally got ceviche there

-breakfast buffet was the best I've seen. Tons of fresh fruits and fresh juices, plus plenty of egg/meat dishes as well as pastries, cereal, cottage cheese, beans, breads, etc.

-lunch was very good, but the options are limited. One day they were 'out of fries.'

-the soups at dinner are great

-the bar has a great view of the property and made wonderful margaritas.

-room was very spacious and had kitchenette (yet there isn't really anywhere to buy food nearby)

-lots of closet space

-two tvs, one in bedroom and one in sitting area

-Yoga classes were amazing - not so challenging, but a fair workout and the massage at the end was the best part!

-super clean and beautiful resort

THINGS TO WORK ON:
-Poor service at pool (usually just one server, and often he wouldn't even acknowledge me)
I ordered a drink and it never came.

-inconsistencies in wait staff - some are very friendly, a few barely spoke and were unattentive

-SLOW service at all meals, though this is the way of life at a resort in Mexico.

-if you are interested in late night activities, there are none other than the bar.

-Dinner portions so small that we were still hungry – no other dinner options w/ only one restaurant

-I know this place is known for its cuisine, but we were not impressed with dinner. I had the WORST tuna I've ever tasted here. We finally learned to order three entrees to get enough food - and we are very fit people who don't eat that much!

-though the room is nice and spacious, it has no pant hangers, one trash can, no glasses, no book about amenities, very bare white walls

-water is HARD to find here. Ask to take a bottle with you from dinner. I would refill mine from the sink and put in the fridge. Water is safe to drink at the resort.

-you have to sign after every meal. I have been to three all-inclusives, and only one you didn't have to do this.

-The studio had only yoga and tae bo classes when we were there - no zumba and no cooking as advertised

-Lunch had same menu every day but they were out of fries one day

-No one ever had ceviche

-The chips at lunch are ‘healthy’ and also terrible

-The golf club nearby is nice, but we didn't have a ride back and had to call a taxi

-we attempted to go to the pharmacy to buy some snacks and got lost walking back. That was our own fault since we just were dropped off by the pool shuttle on our first day.

-Cabanas almost impractical as the wind would whip the curtains from their velcroed holding place

Overall, we had a great relaxing vacation of just reading and eating. If you are looking for a low-key place to visit, this is a great fit.

Room Tip: Don't get a room that faces the 'courtyard' unless there is also another view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I visited Taheima in August 2011 on a package deal purchased through Luxury Link which consisted of an all-inclusive four-night stay, welcome champagne, massages and a romantic dinner experience. We were greeted with a cool towel and welcome drink upon arrival in the beautiful lobby. We were given wristbands upon check-in, which I'm not a big fan of - it's so low-budget. The wristbands are a waste because you still have to sign your name and room number when you order F&B at the restaurant or poolside. You have to walk around the infinity pool to get to from the lobby/restaurants the rooms - not a problem, but I found the layout a bit odd. Otherwise the grounds are beautiful. The infinity pool was great and we never had a problem scoring lounge chairs - even when we didn't get an early start.
We had a one-bedroom on the ground level with a "private" plunge pool. The plunge pools are not heated and you can see your neighbors through the fence between units. The foliage between the plunge pool and the main pool doesn't offer much cover either, so beware. The room was spacious, and the king bed was very comfortable. A/C in the room was quiet and kept us nice and cool.
Only one restaurant, Cafe Maria, was open during our stay, but the food was tasty and the staff was very attentive. Still, it would have been nice to have another dining option.
It was the beginning of rainy season during our stay, and it rained for about an hour each evening. This gave us the perfect opportunity to wind down after a long day at the pool and before heading to Cafe Maria for dinner. On our last evening at Taheima it POURED. As I mentioned, there is only one route from the rooms to the lobby & restaurant area, and that was flooded. Yes, flooded. We had to wade through four inches of water to make it to Cafe Maria in time for dinner!

We had a couples massage and really enjoyed it. As others have mentioned, this resort is not on the beach, but they do offer a shuttle to their nearby beach club. The tuna ceviche at the beach club was delicious! Be prepared for locals trying to get you to buy things while you're on the beach.

All in all, we had a good time at Taheima. I would probably return - but only if the drainage issue has been solved.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

First of all I need to say that the people that work at this resort are incredibly nice. The waiters were wonderful and the concierge(sp) was very helpful. We were there during their NOT busy time. The resort was probably less than 20 percent full while we were there. The room we had was nice. However the bathroom was not that clean for such a fancy resort. There was hair in the tub and it didn't drain well. We asked to have it fixed and they said they would fix it. We finally gave up and just accepted it after three days of asking. I'm rating the service down jst because of this.

The pools were nice.

If you are planning to come here to be near the night life and parties of Puerto Vallarta, then I wouldn't stay here. It is about a 45 minute cab ride to the city and there really isn't much night life near here. If you just want peace and quiet then I think this is the place for you. The have an agreement with another resort for beach access which they provide a shuttle too, however it is easily walked. My biggest complaint here is the same as my biggest complaing for Puerty Vallarta, when you get to the beach, they won't leave you alone. They act really nice and interested in you and then the big sell comes and they want you to come see their property and buy a time share. This also happens in the city.

At the beach we went para sailing which was wonderful, but not long enough. Cost was ok though $50 US.

We took in one touristy tour called Rhythms of the Night which I would highly recommend. Very professionally done and good buffet style dinner to go with it along with a lot of fun on the boat ride to and from. The crew of the boat made it an expeience that we will never forget.

As for activities at the resort we took part in a Temazcal ceremony. This was done by a very sweet man. If you have never done this, then I highly recommend it. My partner did a lot of working out int thier gym and participated in the yoga classes and she enjoyed them. She also had a pedicure that was nice.

One problem in this area was they didn't always know what was going on. They told us that Yoga would be at a particular time twice and no one showed up to lead the classes.

We came back from dinner once and the power was out in our room. They did fix it quickly and I wouldn't mention it except one morning the power was out in the gym which meant a lot of the equipment didn't work and there would be no air conditioning. This is not good in PV as you might imagine.

I don't think I'll go back, not because of any real bad experience, but mostly because it is too far from PV.

I do wish them luck and I again want to compliment the waiters and kitchen staff. The food was great and their service was excellent.

It would be nice if you could get wireless in your rooms, but it isn't too big of deal.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the rooms with the private pool...it really isn't private and unless you w...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

The Previous Review - BEAUTIFUL RESORT etc is so well written and to the point - no reason to repeat the info - to some of her points ... We arrived on the property on May 13th and the elevator was out of service for part of the day and has been fine for the rest of the week... There are better washrooms at the beach BAHIA Del Sol on the right as you walk to the beach, they are just steps from the taxi area. Although the alcohol at Bahia is not incl ... The prices are low and the food is really well done for beach food especially the fish at lunch, the were even very accommodating with my wife's flour allergy and turned a club sandwich into a chef salad.. Not a menu item... The folks there were helpful ... Drinks and food served on the beach. We had the plunge pool on the golf course and found the temperature to be same as the pool, and very clean we used it every day to have some cooling of with a drink and snack of our own...if you are there for a week have a taxi take you to the big store called CHEDRAUI to pick up snacks wine spirits ... My gosh there are so many amazing staff members-from the front desk to the pool, to the breakfast, lunch and dinner folks and the housekeeping women, the time they took to service the room was exceptional ( it's the first time ALL my clothes have been folded and in place) ... Very special services at the spa ... We had numerous services and were very pleased with the care (unhurried ) if you have any body issues ( hurts ) ask for Elizabeth she is a truly amazing intuitive healer as well as therapist... Wendy and I thank all of you for the people experience ... The Kindness Of Mexico ... The frustrations the management should address (and we were on a all inclusive coupon experience, we got much more value than we paid for, thank you!) NOT having bottled water in the fridge and a few more ice trays in the freezer, since the ice is delivered on request... When we did request ice only once did it come within 10 minutes, once after 2calls it took 45 minutes, once it did not arrive at all and the rest of the time we went to the bar to get it. The egg potato breakfasts mostly arrive lukewarm at best, at dinner Having another choice in white wines would be nice ( even at the bar none other than Chardonnay is available for inclusive or purchase ). Lack of towels at the pool.. Some issues with getting 100 pesos into smaller for tipping and tech issues for some days with processing Amex... A feeling that the staff were frustrated in meeting guest requests ( out of vodka and wine requests ). Please give your group a heartfelt thank you...

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Like many, I took advantage of a travel deal when booking our stay at Taheima. Unfortunately, I encountered some trouble when actually booking, because they said their relationship with Eversave (through whom I bought the deal) had ended. With several frantic phone calls, I found out that this was not really not the fault of either party; Eversave quickly refunded my money, and the hotel offered to honor the same pricing for the three-night all-inclusive stay, though they would not be able to include airport transfer or the massage package as the original deal had specified. I was okay with this, as I had heard taking a cab was inexpensive and easy, and I still thought it was a good deal for the stay. So if you have purchased a travel deal, do not be wary of the resort; although communication was at times a challenge, the deals are valid.

Getting a cab from the airport was pretty easy. You do have to walk through a gauntlet of people trying to pull you in to sell you timeshares, and they can be quite convincing as they offer you transportation to your resort if you just step over to their booth. Bypass all of these people, exit through the double glass doors, and continue to the yellow "official" taxi stand. They have posted rates to each hotel zone (Taheima is in Zone 2). You pay upfront (cost us $24 to get to the resort, $15 to return to the airport later), and are given a receipt. Then you continue on and look for the people in the "official" yellow shirts who will assist with your luggage and hail you a cab. It is maybe a 20-minute cab ride to the resort.

I was traveling with my mother. We recently lost my dad to a progressive illness, and he was her travel buddy for 43 years, so I thought the trip might be healing and relaxing for both of us. We were there for a very brief stay -- arrived on a Saturday afternoon and departed before lunch on Tuesday. Although another day or two would have been nice, I don't think I would have wanted to stay longer than that. The resort was very uncrowded, which meant no fighting over pool chairs, but at times it seemed a little sad. We weren't looking for a party scene by any stretch, but it's a little awkward to be the ONLY two people in a restaurant or bar, as we were several times. Things seemed to pick up after the weekend, and there were usually several other families and couples around the pool or dining.

Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted in the gorgeous open-air lobby (even took pictures for decorating inspiration back home), with cool washcloths (even in April, the afternoons are getting heated) and mimosas -- very nice introduction to the resort. There was a small snafu with our reservation number, which had apparently been issued to another party as well. After a tense moment, this was sorted out, and we were checked in. We were immediately "branded" with yellow plastic bracelets to specify we were on the all-inclusive plan, and warned that if we should lose one, the replacement cost is $80. I was shocked that I would be forced to wear a plastic bracelet during my entire stay at this upscale resort, reminiscent of spring break in South Padre back in the day. Though a minor annoyance, I have to say that the bracelets really bugged us, and considering you have to sign your name and room number after every meal or poolside beverage, the bracelets seem redundant. I think they need to reexamine their system. I've never been asked to wear something like that at other all-inclusives.

After check-in, we were given a brief tour of the grounds on the way to our room. As we approached the elevator, the bellman commented "Uh oh, bad news," as we saw the "out of order" sign on the elevator. Still, no apology was made, and no steps were taken to repair the elevator during our stay. Considering how empty the place was, I'm not sure why they couldn't have relocated us (I was there with my 70-year-old mother), but we didn't mind the exercise, and so we climbed the 30 stairs to our room each time. The resort architecture and grounds are stunning. It is a small resort, but I knew that in advance. It was a little strange that there is only one walkway from the condo buildings all the way around the pool, past the lobby, to the two restaurants. We even asked the first day if we were missing a cut-through, because even if you are staying in a unit right next to the restaurants, you have to go the other way, across the pool and circling the resort to get to the restaurants. Perhaps this is part of the "wellness" -- that you burn off your calories from breakfast! At any rate, it wasn't really an inconvenience, just a little strange, and we enjoyed the strolls through the lovely grounds. The landscaping and flowers are beautiful -- bougainvilleas blooming, tropical foliage, and the infinity pools are just amazing. I love the contrast of the azure pools against the bright orange and cream stucco buildings. I thought it was even more beautiful than the pictures.

We spent our time at the family pool, even though we had no children with us, because it was never crowded, and that is the pool that is heated (we were there in April, and the other pool was still a little chilly). It also has two jacuzzis, although the heater in one of them was not working during our stay. Pool chairs were rigid plastic lounge chairs -- a little uncomfortable after a while. The waiters at the pool were very attentive -- checking on us unobtrusively every 10-15 minutes. I think you can order from a limited selection of food at the pool, but we only ever ordered drinks. This was a good way to stock up on a couple of bottles of water to keep in your mini-fridge, as bottled water is strangely not supplied by the resort, as others have mentioned. (Also, we located a water cooler in one of the breezeways to the condos, and returned there repeatedly to fill our couple of water bottles. I'm not sure if the water cooler is for guest use -- it was a bit behind a partition separating a staff supply room, and so we felt a little sneaky using it, but justified that it is ridiculous that bottled water is not supplied to guests! Really, if they are concerned about limiting plastic bottles, as they've stated is part of their green initiative, placing a water cooler at each breezeway would be a great way to do that, while still supplying guests with an ample water supply.)

The condo units were spacious and clean, with some attractive modern-looking finishes. We were in a one-bedroom unit with a king bed, and the unit supposedly sleeps four, so I assume the loveseat folds out to a full-size bed, though we did not investigate. (The king bed was fine for a mother and adult daughter -- I hope people don't think that's weird!) We had a small balcony with two hard plastic chairs. We were located on the side of the building adjacent to the golf course, but most of that view was obstructed by a close treeline. Though the view was a bit obscured, a decent tradeoff of the trees is a bit of privacy. However, the balconies offer no privacy from other balconies; there just weren't any other guests staying near us. Each unit is equipped with a small kitchenette, with microwave, hot plate, mini fridge, assortment of utensils, and a 4-cup coffee pot. Unfortunately, no coffee or filters are supplied. I need coffee as soon as I awake, and I wished that was supplied in room. It was a long, groggy walk to the breakfast restaurant to get coffee. If we had been staying longer, maybe we would have visited a grocery store to get coffee and filters, but I think it would be a nice service to supply in-room coffee, since the pots are there. The bathrooms are equipped with a hair dryer and small bottles of shampoo, body wash, and lotion. These are restocked as needed. The rooms are equipped with an easy-to-use keyless safe, which we utilized for our valuables each time we left the room.

Since it is a small resort, there are only two restaurants: one for breakfast and lunch with both indoor and patio seating, and another more elegantly designed restaurant for dinner. Again, the decor in the restaurants was really nice, and created a lovely atmosphere. For breakfast, they offer a continental-style buffet as well as a menu with heartier entrees. The buffet included fruit, pan dulces (sweet breads/pastries), cereal, yogurt, granola, and juices and milk. We enjoyed the buffet, and also ordered off the menu a couple of times. Lunch is from a menu, including things like quesadilllas and sandwiches. The dinner menu in the other restaurant changed nightly and typically offered a choice of two salads, a soup, and several entrees, including a pork, seafood, chicken, and sometimes beef. The dinner entrees are smallish (by American standards -- ha!), but really they are just right when combined with a soup or salad. I appreciated that I felt sated without being uncomfortably full. I would give the presentation of the meals five stars, and the taste 3.5 stars. The food was good, but not as good as our favorite restaurants back home. Beautifully plated, the food was just shy of being great. For instance, my pork was a bit overcooked and dry one evening. We had no complaint with the service in the restaurants, and over the few days, began to have a bit of rapport with the few waiters who served us repeatedly. They were all great, and we tipped accordingly.

There is one bar (called Agave) that is separate from the restaurants (though alcohol can be ordered anywhere throughout the resort, after 11 a.m.; poolside service ends at 6 p.m.) We went to the bar each evening for a pre-dinner cocktail, and we were almost always the only guests. The bartender always had the two TVs on very loud volume (either soccer or a movie), so that even conversation between the two of us was affected. And, despite that we were in the bar several times (and tipped!), the bartender was always a bit aloof. The cocktails are a bit weak, and the dirty martinis we ordered had an odd sweetness to them. The resort offers two red wine selections (we thought the shiraz was good), and one white (chardonnay, which I don't usually care for). There are two beer offerings -- a darker beer that I forgot to try, and Tecate, a light beer. When we tried to order call drinks at the bar, we were told the vodka we requested (Grey Goose) was premium, and not included in the all-inclusive. So we settled for Smirnoff. We're not big drinkers, so we didn't have much complaint with beverages. A couple more wine and beer selections would be nice, if this resort is trying to go for an upscale status. My mom said that at an upscale all-inclusive she stayed at in Playa, all premium alcohols were included.

Beach access is typically via shuttle, but their shuttle was broken-down while we were there, so the font desk staff offered to call for and pay for a cab each time. Each time, there was a bit of confusion with the cab driver when we exited, as though we were supposed to pay, and my very limited Spanish I tried to indicate that the resort was supposed to pay. The first cab driver wasn't even clear where to go for the beach access, but sorted it out when he tried to drop us at the wrong resort. It was little inconsistencies and poor communication issues like these that continued to crop up during our stay -- not big deals, but not quite 5-star resort quality.

When we were dropped at the sister resort that allows beach access, we were immediately greeted and shown through the grounds to the beach, and we were given towels (the towels are small -- ask for extras because this helpful person will not return after the initial settling-in!). The beach area is lovely, and we were shown to a couple of chairs with a palapa for shade. There is a beachside patio cafe with burgers, quesadillas, ceviches, club sandwiches, etc. Non-alcoholic beverages are included, and you can sign alcoholic beverages to be billed to your room, or just pay cash. Oddly, on one of our beach trips, we each tried to order a beer, and they said they had none. Then, later, at lunch we asked again, and they said they had one. ONE Corona. What? They indicated someone was making a trip to the store for more, and later we were each able to have a beer. Strange. Food and beverage service does not quite extend to the beach -- you have to walk up to the restaurant. But we were so close to the walkway that the waiter did end up coming down to deliver our drinks, which was appreciated. We ate lunch there twice, and it was fine -- kind of like Mexican pub food. Restroom access while at the beach is a small, not too clean bathroom at the back of the restaurant -- which seems primarily there for staff, but we were glad to have something as we were there for several hours each day.

On check-out day, we ate breakfast early. (8 a.m. elicited a light comment about what "early" risers we were, despite the fact that breakfast service supposedly starts at 7. And truly, the busiest hour for breakfast was more like 9:30 or 10.) We ate early, because we were strategically trying to squeeze in lunch before we had to check out and turn in our bracelets at 11. We had several hours of travel ahead, and would not have the opportunity to eat again until 5 p.m. They did look at us funny when we returned for "lunch" at 10:40. It was still the breakfast menu, but we had eaten from the continental buffet earlier, so we just split a breakfast entree for our "lunch." Check-out was easy, and I was glad we didn't have any unexpected charges to our bill. I assume the front desk would have sent a bellman to assist with our luggage, but we were in a hurry and didn't try to find out. We just hoofed it with our suitcases down the 30 stairs from our room (elevator still not working) and across the resort. They offered to keep our luggage in a storage room while we went to grab one last quick meal, but when we returned from lunch, our suitcases, including my mom's purse, were just sitting out by the front entrance, unattended. Again, details matter.

I can not comment on spa services or any of the classes, like yoga, because we did not partake during our very brief 3-night stay. We did see in the dance/yoga studio one morning during salsa class that no one was there except the instructor. So I'm guessing you might expect to one of few or even solo for classes. I do think we were there during a low travel season -- post spring break, but pre-summer vacation, so that might account in part for the few guests.

I would note that travelers with mobility issues might be wary. Even guest rooms close to dining require a bit of a walk, and the restaurants and bar are on an upper level with a concrete ramp walkway that would not meet ADA standards for a wheelchair ramp. I am sensitive to these issues, after seeing my dad's travel challenges as his health declined.

If you are still reading this, you must be as detail-oriented as I am! I wanted to provide a detailed review, because I had a bit of trepidation leading up to this vacation, as the reviews were quite varied. All-in-all, we were really pleased with the resort, given the price we paid. Our deal equated to $50 per person, per night, all-inclusive, and for that price I have zero complaints (seriously, that was a good deal). However, for the prices the resort lists on their website, they are going to need to iron out the wrinkles and provide a more seamless stay for vacationers who will have high expectations. Even so, my mom and I thought it was a shame that there were not more people at the resort, because it really is very beautiful, the service was great (aside from a couple of mix-ups), and the food is pretty good. I would stay there again -- maybe take my husband next time -- if we could get another deal like that, but with the plethora of nice all-inclusive resorts in Mexico (many of them beachfront), I doubt Taheima would be our pick at their normal listed rates. I really hope they can fine-tune the details, because Taheima has the potential to be a lovely destination resort.

Room Tip: The smallest/least expensive unit -- king bed suite (with pull-out sofa) -- is certainly sufficient...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Do NOT book this hotel. We made a reservation in Feb for Memorial Day weekend. Yesterday we received an email, 2 weeks before flying out that they are overbooked and could not accept the reservation. We called to find out our options. Option 1 lose our money, Option 2 let me put us up in another resort. One problem, they can't tell us the other resort name because they haven't figured it out yet! Call after call, no one can tell us anything and now we have non refundable tickets and no hotel! Do yourself a favor and do not book at this hotel!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I have to agree with many of the other reviewers on here. Overall we had a good stay, but would not go back. There are a few too many kinks and little annoyances.

Arriving at Resort: I would not take them up on the transportation they offer to provide you from the resort. Overpriced! Take a taxi instead from the airport. We were not greeted with champagne or any drink upon arriving, although we saw many other couples were. It's little inconsitencies like this that bothered me. Luis (bellboy) was wonderful in showing us the resort as he took us to our room.

Room: The room is spacious and well equipped. My biggest pet peeve was that although there was a mini-fridge there was no bottled water provided in the room and it took us until late that evening to even figure out how/where to get some water (ended up going to the bar after dinner and asking). The air conditioners worked very well and were quiet! Bed was comfortable. Bathroom is large, however found it a bit odd that they only provided you with shampoo but no conditioner. We had a room with a private pool...like others have said it is not heated so WAY too cold for swimming and it's certainly not a private area. You can see through the fence to the room next to you and others can see you from the walkways through the bushes.

Resort: The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. There are 2 pools, 1 is adult only but NOT heated and the other is family friendly with 2 jacuzzis and is heated. The resort appeared VERY empty while we were there so it never felt crowded. I felt like the waiters (both in the restaurant and at the pool) and the bell boys were VERY friendly and helpful. Wish I could say the same for the front desk staff. Any time we approached the desk for a question or need we felt they had quite a bit of attitude and were not very welcoming nor helpful. Our package through Jetsetter included a city tour and a $100 resort credit. We were told by Taheima the city tour is no longer available. Then when we asked about cooking classes etc. to use the credit they stated that during this season none of that is available and we could only use the credit at the spa. Misleading and not what we expected based upon our reservation!

Spa: We had an included massage and a resort credit in the package we booked. My husband and I both enjoyed our massages (however my masseuse did leave half way through my massage to answer the door as they didn't have a receptionist). She did appologize and give me an extra 10 min. But still! The front desk also didn't appear to be aware of the package deal we had purchased because they charged us for 1 massage and we had to point out and show her our reservation to prove it included a massage.

Restaurants: The only complaint I do have is with breakfast. The posted begin time for breakfast is 7am. The first day when we arrived at 7:15 we were told they weren't ready. We asked what time they open (thinking we had made a mistake...and he said 7). So we came back at about 7:40 and were seated. The next morning....we arrived at 7:30, still not ready. If they aren't going to be ready to serve breakfast at 7, don't say you open at 7! However, the food for breakfast, lunch and dinner is a la carte and all very good quality, taste and presentation.

Beach: Yes, it is about a 15 min. walk or a shuttle ride. Be aware, it is a little hidden access down beside another resort and was hard for us to find the first time we walked. They have a small private area with palapas, chairs and towels. You can order food and non-alcholic drinks from the resort it shares the beach with.

Check out: This is where our biggest frustration came. We did not have to leave for the airport until 2:30 ,asked for late checkout. The front desk girl said it was not possible as they needed the room (keep in mind the resort has seemed only half full the WHOLE time we've been there). Stated checkout was at 11am. We said that wouldn't be possible because our massage was from 10-11 and we'd need to get back to the room, change and pack. Then the story changed....now we could check out between 11 and 12, or pay $50 to check out late. We decided to check out after our massage. When we checked out she proceeded to want to cut off our resort bracelets. We asked if we'd still be able to grab lunch and were told NO. That the day of checkout only includes breakfast. Umm....wasn't this all inclusive? Where in the reservation does it state only 1 meal on day of checkout?? It's not like we could even have grabbed an early lunch before checking out because lunch doesn't start until 12. This left us with a very sour taste upon leaving.

There were many nice things about this resort....but room for improvement as well!

Room Tip: Be aware the private plunge pools are NOT really private and are not heated so not useable.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Taheima Wellness Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!