“Great place to stay with family, friends or even couple for honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Araiza Calafia and Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Araiza Calafia and Convention Center to your Saves list
Araiza Calafia and Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1495 Justo Sierra Drive, Mexicali 21230, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 17 hotels in Mexicali
Salinas, California
“Great place to stay with family, friends or even couple for honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Great service excellent customer service I stay their with my husband and my two month child it was a great place, clean and remodeled place I recommend this place to stay im even planning to go back and stay their for vacation next year..... I'm so happy that I found the perfect place for us to stay every time we go to mexicali....

Room Tip: Great place to stay with family friends or couple I loved everything
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
San Dimas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This usually the only hotel that my family and I will stay in when visiting Mexicali, due to the fact that it is extremely close to all family that we have there. However, the centrality of it to shopping and food makes it seem all the more better.

The staff is always more than happy to assist with you with anything that may be troubling you or anything that you may need assistance. However, it seems like the actions by one employee may not be known by any of the other staff. For instance, we booked a room with one male employee but when we arrived (with confirmation number in hand)... no other employee had any record of us making a reservation or the confirmation number. The problem (like I mentioned before) was quickly resolved and we had a room in less than ten minutes.

The only other issue I have with the hotel, and I'm not really sure if it is their problem or just a case of bad luck, is the noise of the guests in the hotel. It seems as though the last TEN times we have stayed here, there just seems to be an entire baseball team, a family reunion consisting of dozens of kids, a travelling circus, or some other collection of noise makers. This compounded with the fact that the walls and doors are VERY thin and it almost serves to amplify the sound within the room.

But other than that, the room is quite comfortable. As I said, this was a trip to visit family so we weren't in the hotel rooms for any longer than catching a quick nap and showering.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Whittier, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Was just in Rosarito this weekend 8/2012 ~ No AC in rooms, POOL not working, room rates go up when you arrive, bad service...INVESTOR NEEDED...had to request refund, I hope tourism turns around for Baja ~ I'm sure there are just no funds to maintain these hotels, it is sad ~ such great memories there, it WAS such a fun place... :(

Room Tip: Rosartio Hotels still has it together!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Mexicali hotels

California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

We Stayed in Araiza Inn along with many other family members. I have family in Mexicali and we where all attending a 50th Anniversary party. A relative had reserved a block of rooms.
The location was great! Taco stand just across the street. We had tacos every day. The Taco stand is called Balboa"s. They have a variety of food and fresh sweezed juice.
The Pool was clean and very well kept. A must for the heat in Mexicali. Also, they have a TV and lovely patio area by the pool. The pool is gated.
Gym is small but nice. They have security 24hrs which was great. There is a security gate as you drive in and out. This made it great for having a rental car, we felt secure as they check for your hotel card.
The room was just ok, we travel a lot and new we where not getting a resort. I would rate this hotel room a 2 star. The room was clean but old. It had a musty smell but we did buy air freshner at the pharmacy down the street and this helped. The hotel is an older one, so we did not expect much of a room. It did have a small fridge that came in handy for water and soda. Small TV worked ok. The outlet's appeared loose. The carpet was old but we kept our flip flops on. The shower was fine. However, the bed was just fine and it had a great air-conditionar. Our room was always cool with the air and we felt secure.
The restraunt was small but clean and friendly. We had coffee delievered and they accomidated what ever we ask for. This is not a 5 star hotel but we where very pleased with the service and staff. We felt safe and enjoyed the pool and air-conditioning.
We would stay here again for the location but would maybe upgrade rooms if possible. The price was right!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2007

We are from L.A but we decided to get married in Baja and had our reception at Calafia.
In the beginning we did have problems setting up the details because the sales manager Jesus sold the date from under us. Don't deal with him! Jennifer is great so deal with her!
The problem was quickly resolved by the operations manager Enrique and everything went smoothly after that.
We had a beautiful wedding reception in the Mission Del Mar room and the florist Leticia was AMAZING.
All our guest spent the weekend at Calafia hotel with sea side views and no one fell over the cliff..lol..
I did hear horror stories on this website in regards to the accommodations so I was on top of making sure everything went smoothly and it did. Everyone was very happy.
But if you do book the D.J make sure to be specific with the music and bring an extra CD just in case!
Over all the staff was very friendly and like I said I was extremely happy.
I am a makeup artist and I deal with a lot of weddings and by far my wedding was one of the prettiest and at a great price!
If you go with a destination wedding, remember to try to communicate and be specific on your wants because you are in a foreign country so it is hard for them also to really understand you.
P.S The Sunday brunch is to die for!
Gloria Becerra-Tarango from Los Angeles

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2005

THIS WOULD BE A FANTASTIC HONEYMOON HOTEL! I did not stay here, but talked with people who did.... they all loved it! I did eat here with friends..... the view is breath-taking. This is so pretty, and you can see down the coastline for miles. Service and food is excellent. This was the best meal we had during our Rosarito Beach visit, but also the most expensive. I would recommend this to people who like "fine dining", and for special occasions. If you are on a budget, eat in town at the Hotel Rosarito. I didn't find anything to complain about... it was perfect!!

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2004

What a disaster. This hotel is dangerous (don't fall off a cliff!) It is not well maintained. People spoke loudly all night outside my room. We ran out of hot water during our second shower, and to top it off, the housekeeping staff stole a Game Boy right out of the room. They admitted it--and I've been waiting three months to have it mailed back to me (good luck with correspondences!)

I left this hotel and went southward a mile to another place that I loved...for about $40 more a night. It was so well worth it.

Skip this hotel. Everyone I was with hated it (a wedding party). The groom complained about his room repeatedly.

Been to Araiza Calafia and Convention Center? Share your experiences!