“reasonable priced excellent inn with great service, quiet with great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Posada La Mariquinta

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Xalapa
Posada La Mariquinta
You added Posada La Mariquinta to your Saves list
Alfaro 12, Centro Historico, Xalapa 91000, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 19 Xalapa B&B and Inns
Xalapa, Mexico
“reasonable priced excellent inn with great service, quiet with great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

My wife and I have stayed here for the last 4 years for a month at a time. We stay in one of the apartments so I have no comment about the individual rooms. Our apartment is perfect for our needs since we like to make our own food from time to time. The inn is very quiet although a few minutes walk from the heart of downtown. The outside door leads into a beautiful little garden from which the apartments radiate. With maid service, telephone answering machine and reasonable and excellent laundry service, la Posada can't be beat. Our present apartment has two flat-screen TV's, one for each floor. Jean-Luc and his staff are very accommodating. It's our home away from home when in Xalapa. Wouldn't think of staying any place else.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Norfolk, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

For the good news:
The owners were very understanding when we were so delayed by our flights that it took us 2 extra days to get to Xalapa. We e-mailed them the minute our flights started to go haywire and kept them informed of our delays as they were happening. They did not charge us for the two nights that we did not use our room. Thank you.
For the bad news:
Unfortunately, we were so disappointed in the inn and the town that we cut our stay short. Again they did not charge us for the nights that we did not stay. We were prepared to pay for changing our mind. This might have been a very nice inn a few decades ago. It looks nice enough outside and in the garden. The interiors are another story. They look faded and used up. The sheets look thin and decades old. The mattresses are very stiff, and the worst offenders are the pillows. I would not use the pillows. You can have coffee in your room if you want, for a fee. Why not have a room price that includes the price of coffee ? It seemed like a quaint idea to have to go to the local bar/restaurant for breakfast, but no, not a good idea.
The innkeepers seem nice enough, but I am under the impression that they became tired of running the place and nothing has been upgraded for decades.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Spokane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

Stayed here for one night. Beautiful grounds, I had a nice and quiet comfortable room in the back. They have WIFI and laundry service also for an extra charge. The place is also very secure since the front entrance is always locked -- then give you a code to punch in on a panel outside which will open the door for you. Is within walking distance to the parque central. There is a nice little chinese restaurant just down the street.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Washingon, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

In March this year I stayed at the Posada La Mariquinta, in Jalapa, Veracruz; an enchanting place that offers to the traveler a great range of rooms, suites, mini-suites and mini-apartments (Estancias). I love the fact that the prices have a sliding scale down and the more you stay, the less you pay. I enjoyed its excellent location a few blocks from the park, market, cafes, and restaurants. The staff is friendly and very helpful.

The Mariquinta is an historic building, its construction dates from the eighteen century; however, the aesthetic renovations and upgrades are very well integrated.
As the old Portón opens from the street, you step into a tall hall that has very old pavers; after a short walk, you will find yourself in a garden, with trees and colorful flowers that seems like a “V.” The rooms are on both sides. At the end of the garden, on the right hand side in the second floor there are two rooms; that is a very secluded section
- the only ones that disrespected the silence - were the hummingbirds, who every morning were coming to drink the honey from the myrtles next to my window. I loved the peaceful and relaxing atmosphere that La Mariquinta offers.

The rooms were very clean, simple and practical, with all the amenities, Internet, TV-Cable, telephone, refrigerator. The estancias have a full kitchen; I am planning to take an Estancia in my next trip.

I would like to thank the staff for their efficiency; all of them were wonderful!
I loved my sojourn at La Posada La Mariquinta and I am planning to go back very soon.

Oirasor
Washington, DC

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

I've been staying at Posada La Mariquinta for years. Every time I go to my hometown, I stay there. Jean-Luc and his staff are excellent hosts, the place is very well located, the rooms at the back are quiet, like I like. The inn is downtown within walking distance of the cultural center, great restaurants, parks, important sites. The prices are excellent too, with a graduated rate, the longer you stay the cheaper it is. We've stayed there from 3 weeks to just one night, it is our home away from home.

Lastly, I LOVE TRIP ADVISOR, it has never failed me. No matter if I travel to Europe, Canada, Mexico or US, I won't stay in a place if not recommended by trip Advisor.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2008

We found the Mariquinta a good refuge from the traffic and noise of the city. Xalapa's motorists seem particularly fond of using their horns. The location of the posada is good; just a few blocks from key sites of interest to the visitor. A couple of cautions: If you're paying in cash (worth a 10% discount on your bill), make sure you pay upon arrival. The receptionist may not say anything about dinero when you check in. If you wait to pay, the discount is null and void. Also, be aware that the hotel charges extra for use of their wireless internet signal: 30 pesos per day. We were dismayed that it wasn't included in the price. Our room was large, had a deck in the back, and the bathroom was one of the nicest I've seen in mid-range accommodations. The furnishings, however, were rather spartan: nothing to adorn the walls, and furniture that resembled a college dormitory's. There was no cookware/plates/silverware in the kitchen. We did have a fridge but turned it off for all the noise it made. Overall, we'd recommend the Mariquinta, but not to those who are expecting the "hand-holding" that a B&B or full-service hotel would provide.

• Liked — Tranquility
  • Disliked — Extra charges: internet, PayPal fee (even though we paid by cash transfer)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alexandria., VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

We stayed in La Posada for 7 days while attending a conference at a nearby more expensive hotel. We were very satisfied and would stay again but could see some problems for other guests with different needs.
1) From the center of town one has to ascend several blocks on an extremely steep street. The mini-suite we were given was also up several smallish flights of stairs. These passed through a beautiful garden but this would be small consolation for the mobility impaired.
2) Our stay had been preceded by a very rainy period, the office/lounge smelled strongly of mildew. Our room, which was one of the highest in the hotel, was fine, but if it had smelled like the office I could not have stayed--I wonder about the smell in some of the lower down rooms.
3) Possibly because we did not read the fine print we were expecting breakfast--there was none. However, there were a number of very close, very inexpensive cafes serving excellent breakfasts. The Posada does have a kitchen, which guests are invited to use which supplies unlimited coffee (the best we've had in Mexico) and a coffee machine for guests to use. There is also tea.
4) The hosts were not in evidence, or at least did not identify themselves as such if they were. The serving staff .maid and porter were very pleasant and helpful .but we conversed with them entirely in Spanish and someone who did not speak the language might have had difficulty making wants known. The manager (not the owner) was likewise very pleasant but did not offer help or suggestions unless asked--I do not remember if she ever spoke to us in English. Admittedly we were there in the off season and things might be different at the peak. However, Xalapa is not a heavily touristed place and is not bursting with English speakers and English information for those who do not know locals and do not speak functional Spanish.

• Liked — The room, the price, the coffee, the garden
  • Disliked — The mildew smell in the office; the absence of the kind of interaction with hosts we are used to in places like this.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Posada La Mariquinta? Share your experiences!