“Good to have a hostel like this in Xalapa” 4 of 5 stars

Hostal de la Niebla
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Zamora No.24, Col. Centro, Xalapa CP 91000, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 27 Specialty Lodging in Xalapa
Kassel, Germany
“Good to have a hostel like this in Xalapa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

The hostel has a central location, is safe and clean. Staff was friendly, at least one of them speaks English. They also helped to organise a rafting tour to Jalcomulco. Breakfast was as basic as in hostels typically. No many guests this time, getting at least a dorm was easy without a reservation.

Stayed March 2013

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

This hostel has the perfect location in Xalapa! Convenience store next door, walk 5 minutes to grocery store, 2 minutes to the Callejon - bars and restaurants, 2 minutes to Callejon Diamente - restaurants, coffee shops, artisans and boutiques, 2 minutes to Parque Juarez...could not be more conveniently situated! Bonus is having Boletotal outlet within walking distance as well. The hostel is kept sparkling clean, especially the kitchen and bathrooms. There are tons of common areas to hang out, and the rooftop patio is perfect for suntanning during the day. There was high-speed internet and the staff let me receive incoming calls on one of the hostel's phone lines. I didn't make reservations, just showed up and luckily there was room, but I ended up staying longer than I planned and the hostel was already fully booked for one of my nights there. The staff were fabulous, and negotiated an amazing rate for me at a lovely hotel just around the corner with the same owners, and even insisted on walking me there and carrying my suitcase for me. Fantastic service!! I couldn't recommend this hostel more.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hostel are quieter :)
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Londres
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I stayed at the Hostel twice, once in September last year for purpose of studying (2010), with the second stay in June- July 2011 for holidaying. Both stays made me feel very relaxed and as though I was home from home (my home being in London, England). All staff were very kind and helpful especially when I saw them faced some very impolite guests. They were all professional to the highest standard and through their friendly attitude and excellent customer care I improved my Spanish, learned lots about the City and I am sure that once I've finished my degree in 2012 I would stay there again. Thank you all at Hostel de la Niebla.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Zapopan, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I loved the place. It was just what I needed to spend a week in Xalapa, but the people that were in the front desk were kind of rude and they tried to made us feel like we were not wanted there.
Probably because we are national travelers (we are from Mexico visiting Xalapa).
Guys of the hostel a peace of advise: you are not the only place to stay in Xalapa show a little more willing of service and attention to the visitors.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

I stayed here for 5 nights as they have a kitchen to cook in and was reviewed as having a nice patio. In fact, I counted 3.5 patios in different parts of the building. The place is spotless and the staff very helpful ( but not always up to date, but this is not a travel agency). The rooms could use a paint job and my shower curtain had definitely better days, but really I quibble as they supplied good big towels, liquid soap hand towels. There is also a place to do handwashing and a television in the dining area. Some rooms have them room. Also wifi and one computer. Did I mention the location? It´s o the main street but about 4 blocls west of Park Juarez so it´s not too noisy at night. They serve a very basic continental breakfast with Mexican caffe dóllo.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are a bit quieter
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

The hostel is located in a modern building on a central street a few blocks from the cathedral and central park. The receptionist was friendly and gave me sheets so I could go and make up my own bed in the dorm. The price was 150 pesos but 135 for students. I never claimed to be one but was charged the lower price which I didn't complain about.

The dorm was very clean and funcional with big lockers, individual reading lamps and a sink. It turned out to be quite noisey due to the main road just below and quite a lot of light got in despite the blinds. But other than that it was quite tranquil especially as no one else was staying in it.

There are a couple of outside areas, one with sun beds. There was also a quite well equipped kitchen. The price included breakfast which I was told would include cereal but ended up being just juice, coffee and a crossaint with jam (although I was offered a second one).

The wi fi didn't work properly but I had the hostel computer to myself so this wasn't a problem.

This is a good choice whilst in Xalapa. Just remember: the Diego Rivera gallery is closed Sunday and Monday and the museum on Mondays.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hostal de la Niebla? Share your experiences!