“Bring small bills/call Russ the Bus” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Las Palomas Beach & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Las Palomas Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Las Palomas Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd. Costero #150, Col. Sandy Beach., Puerto Penasco 83550, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 18 hotels in Puerto Penasco
cape cod
“Bring small bills/call Russ the Bus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The resort is outside the "zone" so it cost about $12 for a taxi into town. If you have a $20 they will tell you they have no change so make sure you have small bills. AS for the resort It is in the middle of nowhere. If this is your first trip I strongly recommend you contact Russ the Bus Tours (Russ Black) and go with him right away he is GREAT and will give you the lay of the land. Make sure to go to the Biosphere with him, all day trip but very cool. When we stayed it was the coldest in 40 years with ice on the golf course. we were one of about 10 units occupied so we had the place to oursleves, the staff was very friendly and helpful the the condo was beautiful with views of the Sea.Only one resturant and the convienece store (in phase 1) of the project does not sell liquor (stock up at the duty free shop at the boarder. The gym is ok but is in phase one Units on the left side of phase two facing the ocean have great sunset views. Make sure to get some fresh shrimp "downtown" to cook in your condo. last Always barter never take first price go atleat 4 times before you settle on a price. Have fun!

Room Tip: See above rooms on left side of phase 2 have sunset views. Many units are rented by the owners so t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

341 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The hotel is beautiful, the service at the hotel was ok, but they charge me $150 dollars for towels that we did return and it has been 5 months and I still cannot get them to get my money back. They accepted they were wrong, and they said they sent me a check on Sep. which I have not received... so If I want my money, I need to wait 90 days for them to get back the check they sent me (because for whatever reason I did not receive) or they charge me 30 dollars to do some sort of transaction to get the money right away... either way I am screwed. They should absorb the 30 dollars and get me my full 150 dollars back. It was a pleasent experience at this hotel, but because of all of this I am not coming back... I have called over 200 times and had to explain my situation over 15 times, this is very sickening and time consuming.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was our first visit to Puerto Penasco and we were very impressed with our 2 bed apartment. Our apartment was on the 14th floor with excellent views of the beach. The apartment was very well equipped with 2 large en suite bedrooms. We were disappointed to find that the complex only had 1 restaurant which was Buffet style. There were a number of swimming pools on site including a lazy river that we never saw anybody in due to the water being very cold, all other pools were warm. The only shop on site was very poorly stocked and could not be relied upon to provide for self catering guests. Lots of hawkers on the beach but a polite " no thank you " was all that was needed to be left alone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I have been coming to Puerto Penasco many years. First, as a guest of friends with an RV, then with our own RV, and now we stay in the resorts of the Sandy Beach area. We have stayed at the Sonoran properties, Las Palmas, and of course, Las Palomas. Las Palomas is still the best we have found. The pools and spas are immaculate, some are heated, some are not. The property is right in the middle of the Sandy Beach area with great beachfront and stunnning views from most condos. The state of the condo rented may or may not be the greatest depending on whether it is owned by the resort or a private owner. We have always stayed in private condos and some were decorated to the 10's, and then there are some that the owner obiviously hasn't been to in a few years. Keep in mind, that the resort is not going to spruce the place up just for you, if it is privately owned. That is the owners responsibility. As for the restaurants, it is a shame that Citron has had to change to 'Buffet' style, but that's because of the downturn in the economy. During the last two trips down, there were approximately 6 condos in all of phase 2 rented for the week we were there. This trip (Nov, 2012), there were approx 23. Things seem to be getting a little better for the restaurants downtown too. It's been a depressing time for Rocky Point with the visitors fear of the cartels and with the US recession. After this trip, we feel things will only get better for the resorts and restaurants/bars as the economy in the US improves. And, we will return to Las Palomas!

Room Tip: With small children, a room on the first floor can save time and provide a safer feeling for a paren...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ahwatukee, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I've been going to Rocky Point every year for nearly 40 years and have stayed in a variety of places, including a tent on the beach, a trailer in an rv park, cheap hotels, and various rental houses and condos. I love it, but I hate hauling all the stuff you need to be comfortable. This time we chose a resort so the only thing we brought was a cooler for food basics we didn't want to purchase down there (meat and dairy products specifically) and our clothes. Easy!! Las Palomas is a very large, beautifully designed resort right on Sandy beach. Our one bedroom unit was beautiful and had a great view. October is a great time to visit as the water is warm and the heat and humidity have mellowed. We enjoyed our stay very much. My only criticism was the staff could use some customer service training big time. We are not high maintenance by any stretch, but I would expect the staff to smile and say hello and be more friendly. They just were not. We did not ask for anything during our stay, but I hit the feeling if we had it would have been an issue. For such a beautiful resort one would expect a better trained staff. Other than that I would recommend it highly.

• Stayed October 2012
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

If you want peace & tranquility then mid week is "usually" best. It sometimes turns into a bit of a spring break, vulgar frat house during the weekends. The housekeeping service is average at best, with tight control of the trash bags, dishwasher soap, towels, etc. Really? Splitting hairs because I need more than 1 trash bag today? Forget about dining at Citron. It's dog poop on a plate. I'm not sure if it's the best they can do, or if they're just extremely adept at charging top dollar to unwitting Americans for dog poop food. Skip Citron and go eat next door at the Sonoran Grill, located at the Sonoran Spa instead. Good family owned joint, with great service and food at decent prices.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

At the last minute, my husband and I decided to spend the weekend in Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco, Mexico) for some rest and relaxation. Our first hotel choice was Sonoran Sky, but it was booked. Second choice was Las Palomas.
We made an online reservation through Puerto-Penasco.com because they had the best rates. (BTW, most modern resorts in Rocky Point are no longer "cheap.") We paid $442 (including taxes, fees) for two nights.
Las Palomas exceeded our expectations. The pool area is elaborate and well tended. Our one-bedroom unit was large and exceptionally well furnished. Everything was clean and no sign of creepy crawlies of any kind. All units have ocean views, and there is underground parking at no charge. The beach along the resort's stretch of Sandy Beach is lovely and mostly free or rocks. We had lunch at the poolside bar both days and prices were very reasonable.
This past weekend was less than ideal for a quiet get-a-way because the resort was hosting a volleyball tournament. The majority of guests were over-imbibing, noisy, 20-somethings.
Two complaints:
1. People who own condos in the resort are allowed to have dogs on property.
2. Banana-ride boats and wave runner rentals spew out gasoline fumes that permeate the beach area. These activities are not unique to Las Palomas, but I wish they could be centrally located in the marina's commercial area.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view. If you want quiet, avoid rooms immediately adjacent to the bar.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Las Palomas Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!