“OK, was expecting more” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
Scottsdale-AZ
“OK, was expecting more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I had a room not a suite, no extra of any kind, no refrigerator, no breakfast, front desk was not very knowledgeable. Wifi did not work on my room (114), although they told me on the phone that they had Wifi in the rooms, it worked in the pool area, slow, but worked. Air condition worked well.
The room was clean, but in the second day I was asked if I want the room to be cleaned, sure I said, why I would not ?
There is a good supermaket about 3 miles from the hotel, it is called Ley and they carry everything, I had to find it by myself as the hotel instructions weren't reliable.
I did not enjoy much the food in there, the only restaurant I would recommend is "Aqui es con flavio" always full of Mexican families, this is what brought me there, it is not expensive and have a wide selection of dishes, they have menu in English, but they do not have air conditioned, it is located in the main street in the port.
Other thing I did not enjoy were the ATVs making a lot of noise and throwing dirt in the air...
I visited El Picanate, there is a nice volcanic crater there named El Elegant, it is on KM 52 of road 8, but inside the park the road is not paved and you have to go very slow, it tool me 3 1/2 hours to visit 2 craters.

Room Tip: There is no WIFI on room 114, also no refrigerator...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a lovely weekend in Puerto Penasco. Our usual hotel was closed, so we chose to gamble on the Laos Mar despite some poor reviews. First of all, it isn't the Ritz. You're in Mexico not Beverly Hills! What do you expect?!

Yes, the turn of the economy and HR1070 have affected the entire area not just the Laos Mar. (In fact this was our first time back in over a year and we used to visit several times a year.) We had an ocean view room with a spectacular view and a short walk to the beach. Yes, we received only 2 towels and no washcloths, there was a coffee maker (but no coffee available), some wear and tear was evident, the restaurant was closed but the room was clean, the balcony had 2 good chairs, a fantastic view and the service was friendly and helpful. The jacuzzi was emptied and cleaned daily and the grounds were perpetually being swept and tidied.

Interestingly, we spent our honeymoon at the Playa Bonita resort across the road. Subsequent visits have shown that property to have suffered far more than the Laos Mar. For half the price, the Laos Mar is by far the better find.

We will definitely be returning to the Laos Mar. It was quiet and relaxing. It was a great value for the dollar and we were very happy with our room and reservation. If the lack of a washcloth, coffee or a chair is that big of an issue to you, go elsewhere and leave this little gem to those who don't mind rubbing elbows with the locals, enjoy an unobstructed view of the Sea of Cortez and using the money saved to buy an extra cerveza or two in town.

Room Tip: Definitely take an upper floor OceanView room!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
suncity, az
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I booked a two night stay at this hotel because not only did the description say it was right by the beach (it was behind another resort an walking distance from beach was pretty far) but because the pictures online actually looked nice. We got there and the front desk receptionist did not speak one word of English so we had no idea what he was saying to us. He tried to charge us extra person booking fee that we already paid when we booked. After Finally getting our keys we headed to our room. The pool was so dirty it looked yellow. Once in our room we decided there's no way we can stay there and enjoy our trip. It was dirty and had stains all over the carpet. We left with out even trying to get a refund we just wanted to get out as soon as possible. We paid an additional 500 to book a 2 bedroom condo at Sonoran sea an it was well worth the money. Beautiful hotel and amazing views! Learned my lesson to book anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Across a non busy street to the beach. Rooms were clean enough. Service was good ( enough) This aint the ritz, but it ain't a dive either. Oriented more toward upscale Mexican FAMILIES. If a bunch of guys are going on a boozer, you'll not want to be here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

I had the choice of staying at the Playa Del Sol Hotel for $120.00 day or Laos Mar Hotel for $60.00 day & I am glad I chose Laos Mar. First of all this place is very hard to find. DIRECTIONS: From Hwy 8 look for large green sign on bridge overpass that tells you to take right turn to go to Playa Del Sol Hotell, turn right & go towards the hotel, turn right on the he last street just before you get to Playa Del Sol Hotel, you will be on a very bumpy road, go all the way down & on the third street take a left turn, go all the way down then take a right turn, go further & on the left side you will see an entrance with a guard shack & the wall will have "Playa Bonita Resort" you go through that entrance & on the left is the white building which is Laos Mar Hotel.

Pros: Inexpensive, 150 feet from the beach, Francisco (Nighttime Front desk) is nice guy, the lady during day is not as friendly. Front desk will call taxi for you... $5.00 will take you just about anywhere in town. Nice clean rooms (Smells of disinfectant though)

Cons: forget the TV it has one channel...Spanish, you get two towels, two soaps & two shampoos daily, there is an AC wall unit but no heat that I could tell so it was a little chilly in December, there is no microwave, fridge, room safe, coffee, it is a room to stay in that's it. Ask for a room facing the pool, those rooms have a large balcony, I was given that room at no additional cost even thought I reserved the cheapest room on Expedia, I gave Francisco $10.00 tip for hooking me up. I am a frugal person & I saved $120.00 over a weekend by not staying at a fancier resort... that $120.00 will buy a lot of Cerveza & Tacos... other reviewers are saying this place is turning into a Flop House but with the prices dropping at other luxury resorts this place has no choice but to be dirt cheap but cut back on all the frills. I personally don't need 10 towels & bubble bath... I'd rather save the money... BTW...try out the hot dogs on the main town street cart it is only 10 pesos each & as good or better than any in the US...

• Stayed December 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Many of the post are ridiculous. There are many prissy people out there and you need to consider the source. Value is there. It is NOT a high end hotel. CLEAN, SAFE, HOT SHOWERS and close to the beach. What can you expect for TWO nights for $135 for the weekend???? I have traveled to Mexico many times (in the last 10 years) and it is safe. Common Sense is KEY, unfortunately some people don't use common sense. The media has blown the border issues out of control. We have MANY dangerous places in the US! The people are awesome and will go the extra mile to help you. Give Mexico a chance. The media has not been fair on their reporting for the past 10 years. Again I have traveled in a motor home all the way to PTO Vallarta. I have many stories. All of them good. If you would like to send me an email with questions or concerns, I would welcome them. We are a young family (in our 40's) with children. All of our experiences in Mexico have been great for us. Blessings. Jordan. [--------------] Chandler, Arizona

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Yuma, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

I traveled to Puerto Penasco with my husband and we were looking for an affordable, yet clean place to stay. We wanted a place close to the beach and it really didn't matter if it was beachfront. Laos was the perfect place. The rates were low. The rooms were very clean. Checking in and out was a breeze. The employees at Laos were polite and our cleaning lady, Malena was extremely helpful. Malena helped us with our keys (that weren't working at first) and she turned on our AC. To get to the beach, we simply hopped on our car and drove across a huge parking area and we were there. You can however, walk there especially if you are not carrying lots of things with you. It's a nice place to stay especially if you're with family. I guess my only complaint was the front desk people not letting us know that they required a deposit for the AC remote and the TV remote. We didn't get either one because our cleaning lady helped us with the AC but it was a little bothersome having no TV remote. But who wants to spend their time watching TV when you could be out at the pool or the beach? At $49 a night, you can't expect all the amenities that a 5 star hotel offers. But if you want clean, comfortable, affordable, and great location, Laos is highly recommended.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple