I've stayed at Las Palmas 3 years in a row. I wish I could give a higher rating than poor - but honestly it has been declining.
Our first year we stayed in a 2 bedroom unit on the 5th floor. Only saw one or two roaches (dude it IS Mexico!), And the unit was well equipped for all of our needs. We enjoyed our stay so much that we decided to get married on the beach there the following year!
2nd year - we stayed in a 1bdrm unit on the 7th floor - it was FANTASTIC! The owners of the unit obviously love coming to Puerto Penasco themselves, and we felt like we were staying in someone's home. It was lovely! This year, our friends and family stayed in two of the casas. They seemed nice - but I can't really speak to the overall quality as I only popped in and out of them.
This year - our 3rd year - we stayed in a 2bdrm 1st floor unit. It was lame. Everything was OLD. Bedding - was threadbare and a plastic covering on the mattress (does someone have incontinence issues? eww), kitchen was missing a lot of things. Very frustrating. We bought stuff along the way (hooray for Walmart!) as we needed, and then left it behind. Hopefully the next guest was able to use it! But it just seemed the unit hadn't been cared for like the previous ones. Maybe the issue is as the unit owners fall behind they stop coming to town and stop doing the things that are not part of the resort's responsibilities? Or maybe the units are for sale and no one is maintaining them. Our friends were staying in the same casa they had the previous year - talk about run down! The glass top stove was completely cracked in two! And again - just everything either missing, gross or neglected.
It makes me sad to see this place deteriorating so quickly.
Our next trip to Puerto Penasco will have us staying somewhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Las Palmas is an oceanfront resort comprised of privately-owned luxury homes and condominiums. The resort is located along Sandy Beach in Puerto Penasco, Mexico. The town is commonly known as Rocky Point. Las Palmas reflects this new trend with its splendid architecture, groomed landscaping and family-oriented culture. The gated compound offers 24-hour security, heated pools, Jacuzzis, lighted parking and a spectacular club house with swim-up bar, kid's pool, exercise room, game room and spa. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Las Palmas Hotel Puerto Penasco
- Las Palmas Beachfront Hotel
- Hotel Las Palmas Beachfront
- Las Palmas Puerto Penasco, Sonora, Mexico