“Great family vacation!” 5 of 5 stars

1000 Sandy Beach Rd, Puerto Penasco 83550, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
“Great family vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

As summer surprise we took our teenage daughters July 22nd thru the 28th. We had a great time. We rented directly from an owner and not the resort. We rented a 2 bedroom 2 bath unit. The condo was beautifully decorated and on the 7th flr. This was our first time to Rocky Point. The owners were great, they gave great advice on what to bring. We didn't have problems at the resort well the elevator was out for one day but that was nothing. I saw the other posts about roaches but we never saw any in our room. The pool was warm and so was the ocean. The water in the ocean is super salty but was very relaxing. We had an awesome time and can't wait to plan our next trip.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Hi there- We stayed here in Bonita 503A. First of all I was expecting this trip to suck. I just came to see my sister here. I was anticipating it to be hot and the ocean to be hot the pool to be hot- etc., etc. So I was just planning a social call.

Okay, so most of my stay was extremely pleasant- LOVED IT!! We stayed over 7/4/12 week. The weather was awesome. The beach was nice, the pool here was awesome. Our kids played for hours on the slides (which were better in person, then the pictures). I was pleasantly surprised. When we first walked into our room- it just seem gorgeous. The kitchen was clean and bright w/ a beautiful view from the window. We also had a beautiful view of the ocean. There were towels and utensils in the kitchen. I would still suggest bringing ones own beach towels. All and all I love it here and will be back. However, I do have to be honest about some things.

We did see one roach each night in our room. I don't care too much about that because of the climate here and when I stayed in San Diego I had the same problem. So we killed the roaches as we saw them. We had 3 total. Second there was a bad sewage smell one day in the room. We called the desk and they came right away and I guess they put bleach or something in the drains. That took care of it and we didn't have that problem again for the rest of our stay. There is no one at the desk after 11:30pm so if you need help w/ something you won't get it. We called security one night for help w/ the sleeper sofa and they couldn't understand what we wanted.

I guess these would be huge problems to some. We didn't mind because all and all we loved our stay. Oh, I should also mention this is Mexico. People did drink and I saw one smoker in the pool at the bar. Second, there were no rules on the slides. People were coming down head first etc. The swim up bar was never open and the jacuzzi was cold for one night of our stay. Okay, take this review for what it is worth. I took the good w/ the bad and I saw more good then bad. I think for the price I paid I get more for my money then in California. Don't forget you get a kitchen and washer and dryer here. We never went out to eat on this trip which saved us a lot of money. I would say that is well worth it for just over $100 per night.

Thanks for reading this review. Also, we travel to Rocky Point on average once a month from Phx. We always go during the day and have never had a problem w/ safety. I wouldn't suggest traveling in Mexico during the night. However, you will find a lot of Americans here. I find Rocky Point to be more safe then some places in Phx.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE!

We just got back and stayed here June 6-12, 2012 in Casa 12. It was huge disappointment, huge!! Where do I begin? The villa was run down and not well maintained over the years. It has horrible Ikea furniture that was worn, nicked, dirty, and cheap. The beds have lumpy, disgusting futon mattress so don't plan on sleeping. The main room had dirty couches, dirty curtains, dirty kitchen, dirty everything. The kitchen was not well stocked with cooking utensils and the ones that were there were disgusting or so used that it was scary to cook food in them. No toaster, no trash can, no dish towels, no garbage bags. Bring your own toliet paper or you can buy some in their store!! There were ants in the bathroom, EVERYWHERE. The over the stove microwave was broken so they put one on the counter that sounded like it was about to explode any minute. There were missing light bulbs everywhere and the one in the master bath was hanging by a screw. Be careful it doesn't fall in while showering. The stove was old, worn and dirty but it did work as did the dishwasher. The washing machine worked on hot, hot, or scalding.

The drain in one of the bathrooms was so slow it almost overflowed. The neighbors had their shower and toilet back up so we had a whole day to enjoy the workers digging up the sewer line to unclog their pipes right next to our patio. It was super having them there all day long and even better when we had tons of roaches at night on our patio because of the sewer work. The TV's are old and crappy. The remotes are taped together with duct tape and the garage door didn't work all the time. I heard others complaining about their villas to the front desk. They don't care at all by the way!

The pool is dirty, small, has very little seating and no umbrellas. The swim up bar never opened and apparently hasn't for some time. I never saw anyone clean the pool all 6 days. Fun pool for kids with a water slide on one side and a play pool on the other side. No lifeguard on duty and no one watching the kids on the slide. I am surprised there weren't any injuries. If you want to escape the kids, no chance here you will have to go to the beach. The other 2 pools are so small they are like jacuzzi's which by the way, most of them on the property don't work and the ones that do aren't hot. Also, apparently they don't care if you put your kids in the pool with dirty diapers or even change diapers right by the pool where the feces and urine can back flow into the pool water. I guess only some rules apply to some people at the "resort" (a term I use loosely) because you can have glass bottles out at the pool (even though signs are posted not to)that's cool, you can throw your beer cans, bottles, and trash in front of your villa and leave it there for your entire stay so everyone who walks by your yard to the pool can enjoy your dump all weekend long and you don't even have to clean it up before you check out! You can actually have the cleaning people clean up your frat party for you! I thought that was a nice touch! You can let your kids run and scream around the pool, you can eat food in the pool, and you can have huge loud parties all night long with music and screaming! BUT...DO NOT smoke anywhere near the pool! Apparently they draw the line there! I saw security once on the property actually checking patios and the beach. Not sure why since it was Monday night and no one was there anymore! The plants and grass need some TLC and the rope lights to the beach on the palm trees have a nice effect if they all worked. Lastly, forget about Wi-fi at Las Palmas, you aren't getting it!

FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE TO STAY!

Room Tip: Rent somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We rented a two bedroom two bath condo for 8 days. It was really nice escape for our family. During weekdays Sandy Beach is empty, but on the weekends it was fairly busy. However, it is nothing like it was prior to the recession. If you use common sense when traveling in Mexico, you will be okay. Don't travel to Rocky Point at night and stay on the resorts at night. There is visible security around the clock. We will be going back to Las Palmas again!!

Room Tip: End units are larger.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

The Jacuzzi was cold so I asked if they can make it hotter. They said they would I went back in and an hour later It was still cold. They didnt seem to care. And then I asked went to the Gym and roaches were crawling around. I went to my room and the wifi didnt work. The kitchen dishes seemed dirty. So i asked to check out early and they said I could but they would charge me all the days I reserved. I payed for 4 nights and was only there 1 day. Screw this place. dirty. Unsafe because of the sorry security staff. And hidden rules that they dont mention until it is for there benifit

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

im on my honey moon typing this. seriously. Im pissed. we came in sunday april 29th . Got married the 28th. and sunday through wed is when their occupancy is low so guess WHAT???? the Jacuzzi is cold! the pool lights are off. the restaurant is closed early. the we asked for towels. they said they would bring some. hours later i went to the front desk and they told me that they dont do that. we have to wash ours. So i said why not say they dont do that that make me wait for them??? the doors on our balcony didnt lock. the wifi DIDNT WORk. dam it im getting mad. the list goes on. please pitch in and pay for honey moon we can relax at. im mad i have to stop typing. xavechany@hotmail.com

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C unit noise
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Me and my family got 2 houses on the beach and loved them! Everyone at Las Palmas is so nice and helpful! This year we are getting 3 houses and are very excited to come back! In the summer the ocean is beautiful and warm. Our only complaint would be that the pool is too warm when its 100 outside and should be cooler so you can stay in it longer.

Room Tip: Get a house right on the beach! They are clean and very roomy
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Las Palmas? Share your experiences!