“Always Great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vina Del Mar Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Penasco
Vina Del Mar Hotel
1ro. de Junio St & Malecon Kino s/n Col. El Puerto | Sonora, Puerto Penasco 83550, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 18 hotels in Puerto Penasco
Tucson, Arizona
“Always Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Anytime I go to Puerto Penasco I stay at Vina Del Mar. It may not be the nicest most expensive hotel, but it is in a great location and has character. The hotel itself is located right on the water, not the beach; it is actually on the rocky point of Rocky Point. Almost all the rooms have a sea view and all the best restaurants and shopping in town are within walking distance. The beach is a short 5 minute drive/cab ride away. I love to get up early take a cab to breakfast, head off to a day of fun at the beach, head back to Vina shower and hit the Shops, eat, grab a drink and hang with the locals on the Malecon watching mariachi bands, flame throwers and whatever other entertainment is out. You can even grab some beer at the Oxxo and hang out on the Malecon, Vina Del Mar borders the Malecon. Vina also has a nice little bar that opens onto the Malecon, a restaurant that has a nice breakfast and a good staff, especially Juan, who is always nice and friendly. The rooms may not be top notch, but it gives you a true Mexico experience that you will not get at one of the fancy resorts on Sandy Beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

My wife and I have been staying there for close to 10 years. In the past we went to Mexico once a month and tried a couple different hotels and none of them have the view or ambiance that Vina has. A kitchenette that sits right on the water gives you a fantastic view and you can watch the shrimp boats come and go in the night, dolphins and occasionally you can see whales breaching the surface. It is just awesome and has an atmosphere of total relaxation and tranquility. The energy is peaceful and stress free. Will continue to stay there and have no desire to try any other hotel. Close to shopping, food, the famous fish market and marina if you take a ponga boat out to catch you own fish (that's a total rush)
The staff has always been accommodating, friendly and professional. And yes you can bargain with them on price if you do it with a little respect and tact.

Room Tip: The ones right on the water are the ones we stay in because they have kitchenettes and a great view...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Bullhead City, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

My husband and I went to Puerto Penasco on 5/26/2011 and we stayed at the Vina del Mar hotel. We had a great time and the suite we stayed in was really nice. We loved the view overlooking the ocean. It was beautiful I higly recommend this hotel :)

Room Tip: The suites are a great choice very spacious and have a private balcony overlooking the ocean
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

Stayed one night with my daughter. We wanted to stay on the malecon because it's near our favorite restaurant, Flavio's. They charge a $20 key deposit. Of course, I forgot it, which I believe most people do, and when I turned in my key, no one offered to return the deposit. Surprise! While in the shower, the water changed from freezing to boiling every few seconds, making for a very unpleasant experience. The room was mediocre at best. We got the "suite", which had a suspicious couch, a small, well-used table and two chairs, and a balcony overlooking the roof below. This hotel is in serious need of an upgrade.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Beaumont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

Booked thru Rocky Point rentals and could have gotten a better price as walk-ins and no one was hardly there. THis is more of a motel with three stories and some suites.
Next to the Malecon where locals stroll and musicians play on weekend nights. No beach here but $2 cab ride gets you to either beach area.
Stingy on towels, good restaurant, clean rooms and pool and wonderful ocean views. No fridge.
Restaurants a short walk away.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

First time in PP. Wife and kids wanted to stay in the fancy hotels by the beach. So, I drove over there with the family in the car.
We drove around looking for a good price in the fancy newer hotels. While driving I noticed all the angry tourist drivers zipping around and no one really looking happy.
I turned the car around and headed back to the old town area.
Boy was my wife pissed at me for not wanting to stay at the new fancy angry tourist area.
Now then, we located a hotel called Vina Del Mar and I said we are staying here. After checking in and getting two rooms we went to the pool, looked at the ocean from our room, took a walk downtown, watched a sunset, and enjoyed all the calm friendly people. My wife fell back in love with me. The kids had the time of their lives. All was good and my life was complete again.
Great place, but if you are a type A person just stay at the fancy beach hotels or maybe buy a rip off time share.
But for me, I'll take the old town anyday over that fancy area. If I want fancy I'll go to Vegas....OH! but wait that's where I live and don't need it on my vacation.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Flagstaff, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

We've stayed there numerous times over the last 3 years and always found it a good value. It is clean and the staff friendly and even overlooks the water, if you request a balcony room. I do NOT recommend it on a long holiday weekend, however. They have security onsite and come quickly, but the drunken college kids are a pain!!

• Liked — The value is great and in old port. You can walk to restaurants, bars, and shopping.
  • Disliked — Drunk and loud college kids on holiday weekends.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Vina Del Mar Hotel? Share your experiences!