Long overdue but my wife and I stayed at Sonora Spa five days for our honeymoon in the beginning of July and the experience was mostly pleasant. When I found the resort site I was very reluctant to book any room that did not have photos since I realized quickly that every room is different.
So let me start by saying that we were located in room N802. Once we got to the room we were very pleased with the view of course which was beautifuly located on the top floor and had an unobstructed view of the beach. Also the amenities provided are great. There was even a washer and dryer so we did not have to worry about running out of clothes or having to do it all when we got back home. Plus everything like pots, pans, dishware, silverware, soap, detergent, etc. The only complaint I would have was with the bed and TV in the bedroom. The bed was rock hard! We had to gather all the extra blankets to make it alittle better but we would still wake up with sore necks which is not fun when you have a full day of activities. Then there was the TV in the bedroom and the problem with that was that the volume would go in and out. Granted we weren't there to watch TV but I like to relax at night before bed and watch the news.
As far as the resort my wife went down and got a massage which she loved especially after stressing from the wedding. The mart located on the property is very convenient but as would be expeted very pricey. The Circle K located down the road is better if you have the means of a vehicle. The gym has the standard equipment but did not run across any of it broken or such. The guys we met at the front desk were very helpful when asked about trying to locate things in town or activities. The pool and spa was cleaned daily early in the morning and was a nice break from all the salt. There is security all around the premises which made me feel at ease since on the way to the resort you can see some shady characters.
As far as the town it was alot of fun finding all the hole in the wall places aside from the main board walk area. This was easier since my wife speaks spanish but if it wasn't for that I would've been completly lost! In regards to the boardwalk there are alot of shops and they have some cool stuff but the keepers can be sharks. we got some stuff at a good price but as I said it was because my wife speaks spanish. A few times I would ask about something and they'd give me a ridiculous price and my wife would go behind me and get it for alot less. Aside from that I would recomend being at The Point around sunset and sitting on the patio. You'll enjoy a nice meal with a great sunset.
Also go down to the docks at a place called Lobo Del Mar sometime in the evening and you can take a boat ride around the shore. There are two ships. The Rey del Mar which is a big pirate looking ship and has alot of lights and music coming from it. It gets pretty crowded but towards the end they shoot fireworks. However, I preferred the other ship, Intrepid, since you got free drinks and chips/dips. The ride was longer, less crowded, and more space to walk around.
Well it was a long winded review but hopefully if you are deciding to go it'll help you out.
- Also Known As:
- Sonoran Spa Resort At Sandy Beach Hotel
- Sonoran Spa Resort At Sandy Beach Hotel Puerto Penasco
- Sonoran Hotel Puerto Peñasco
- Sonoran Resort Puerto Peñasco
- Sonoran Spa Puerto Penasco
- Sonoran Spa Resort At Sandy Beach Puerto Penasco, Sonora, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sonoran Spa Resort - 202 Condos on Sandy Beach - Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point Mexico) - One, Two & Three Bedrooms - Less 4 Hours From Phoenix, Tucson & Yuma - Full Service Spa - On-Site Restaurant - Tennis Courts - Three Swimming Pools (One Heated) - Jacuzzis - BBQ Grills - Exercise Room - In Room Phones - No Spring Breakers Please ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Sonoran Spa Resort at Sandy Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.