“Very pleased with my stay at the Sonoran Spa!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Sonoran Spa Resort at Sandy Beach to your Saves list
Sonoran Spa Resort at Sandy Beach
Camino La Choya Km. 3.7, Puerto Penasco 83550, Mexico   |
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Very pleased with my stay at the Sonoran Spa!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Visited in June with my BF and was very, very, impressed with our suite! These are privately owned, so every one can be different, but the 2bed/2bath we were in was very spacious, way too big for the two of us to be using alone.

The weather was perfect, beach was gorgeous and the sonoran spa had a relaxed, casual atmosphere that was fun but friendly and not "too much" like the resort next door. That one...woah...pool was packed, music was way too loud and people were hammered.

Sonoran Spa is much more the place for me! Thanks for a nice stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I have never write a review for any hotel because I always think that people have different opinion on what they are looking for in a resort. But this time I will write one. This weekend that we stay at this resort will be one that my entire family will never forget. My son bumb into sliding glass door not ran into it just bumb into it and that's all it took for our nightmare to begin. In one second glass chunks came falling down on him. I though that he was going to be gone. He ended almost loosing his leg and he is only 5 yrs old. According to staff at resort all rooms don't have tampered glass and could do the same if bumbed the wrong way. I write this to warn anyone thinking of coming to this resort. If you have children please becareful with them near that glass. If you drink becareful near that glass. If I could one family from going through the nightmare we went thru this review will be well worth it.

• Stayed June 2012
Tempe, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Like the previous reviewer said most of these condo's are owned and rented out, we were lucky to find a great two bedroom on the third floor. We stayed for two weeks in early June 2012 love the views from the Sonoran Spa and Sea and Sun and they way they are set up makes for a beautiful ocean view from all rooms. We stayed at the Sea in March and much prefer that resort cause of the pool bar and it was a quieter resort then the Spa. The Spa seemed to many families of 10-15 mexicans cramed into one room the second weekend we were there. They were quite noisy and loud talking from balconies down to the pool or beach!!! And totally over run the pool which was fine with me as we much prefer the beach. Which there is no palapa's at the Spa so you better bring your own umbrella or purchase one from a vendor on the beach. We did eat one night at the little resturant there it is small with some inside tables and outside tables. We ate outside cause it was cooler outside then inside and the food (dinner) was really good! We also made our trip to the fish market a few times and ate at The Pointe for lunch and at The lighthouse on whale hill on night always wonderful to eat there and the views are to die for at sunset.
We have also stayed at Las Palomas many times but I really love the beach and totally think the views are far better at the Sonoran Sea, Spa and Sun so next visit in Oct. we're staying at the Sun.
The Sea is gated and has security 24hrs a day and I always feel safe in Rocky Point have never stopped going there and never will. Now they even have a brand new Sams Club to my surprise!!! How cool is that? Although I do enjoy our trips to the grocery store there in Rocky Point the super ley. Rocky Point is a great getaway for us in Arizona why go to Hawaii when you have such a beautiful beach within driving distance?!!!!

Room Tip: That's what I love about the Sonoran Spa, Sea, or Sun all rooms have great ocean views!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

When we first arrive I was worried that I would have to carry all of our luggage up the stairs, but the staff greeted me and help me with my luggage ad make check-in really easy.

When I arrive to the condo, I was worried about the kitchen not having supplies, but there were plenty and in good condition to cook for me and my whole family.

Room Tip: The rooms on the bottom are best if you have kids!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We have stayed at many resorts in Puerto Penasco, including the Sonoran Sea, Las Palomas and now the Sonoran Spa. Much of your experience will depend on the unit you rent, as they will be decorated by the owners. This was probably our least favorite of the three resorts, but by no means is it a bad place to stay. Las Palomas has both topped with their far superior pools and the food and bar service at the pool. The beach is perfect at all three locations, which are within walking distance from each other. We have travelled to many beaches around the world and this is actually one of our favorites, because of the huge difference in tides (many tidepools and creatures to find), the warm and clear water, and the abundance of sea life in the Sea of Cortez. It is beautiful. The pool at the Spa is decent - it had a bit of an yellow tinge - not sure why. There is a cheapy plastic slide which the kids liked. I don't like that there is no food service at the pool (there is a little restaurant which we didn't try). This resort is also a quick walk to the sports bar Changos which is nice to hang out (wouldn't recommend the food). It is also a quick drive to downtown (try the fish tacos at Mary's) and our favorite, The Reef, which has fantastic food. We actually took a banana boat from the restaurant back to the hotel - best taxi ride ever. LOL There are also no permanent umbrellas on the beach which is a pain because you have to bring down your own shade. The chairs and umbrellas by the pool are comforable, though. I might stay here again, as we got a GREAT deal ($75/night). I much prefer Las Palomas, however. We had no problems with safey, and we never have in our years driving down. A great escape from Phoenix and a quick drive down.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

A great escape for the $$$ -- driving into Mexico was not a problem at all. The Spa may not be a 5 star resort but nothing is in Rocky Point, thats what makes it the little fishing town that it is. There are no big hotel chains- except for a few timeshares. So value for a family trip in a 2 bedroom top floor condo was a great, great value for us. Look at the condos on line and choose the one you like. Many are up dated and a little more $, otherwise you get what you paid for. The shrimp in town are the best we have ever had- fresh and gigantic. Sandy Beach is clean and there are not to many vendors to bother you. We will be back our kids love it there- and so do we..

Room Tip: Review pictures and views from condo on line- we liked the East tower views the best top floor, the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

My buddy booked this before we could read the last 2 reviews. We went down with a open mind but it was clear when we pulled up that they are not taking care of the place. The paint was and finish is fading away and filthy in some places. They had one person checking people in during a Labor day weekend and a line started to form. We got to the room and the AC was off. Was so freaking humid it didn't make since. Noticed the base boards were dirty and just the overall cleanliness of the place was far below hotel standards. Everything was dingy. E401 is a good unit but like I said the place is showing its age and they don't clean to well. Stayed at Sonoran Sun and it was a night and day experience. It appears that only local families stay here besides the people that own and live there. One review mentioned this also. I would say that the was 80% local and 20% American. The batteries went out to the AC unit and I had to get service for that one day. The convenient store was closed most of the day and never open on time. The coffee store guy next to it laughed and said he should be there. The front desk girl was complaining that her shift was over and the other person was late.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Sonoran Spa Resort at Sandy Beach? Share your experiences!