“Great food and ambiance” 5 of 5 stars

Playa Bonita Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo Balboa 100, Puerto Penasco 83550, Mexico   |
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
yuma
“Great food and ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I didn't book a room at this hotel, as it is too far from the Malecon, where all of the great bars and restaurants are in Penasco. However, I did eat a fabulous dinner there. Started off with happy hour on the outside patio overlooking the Sea of Cortez, then inside for dinner and more tequila.
Dinner was outstanding..... a bed of butter-sauteed rice with a grilled fish fillet on top of that, with cut-up jumbo shrimp in an exquisite alfredo sauce on top of everything. Add a baked potato and a scoop of ice cream for dessert. For the sixteen dollars that everything costs, this ranks really high on my fresh seafood meals in Mexico.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Don't ever make reservations, you won't get your money back if you have to cancel. We made reservations for the following year because we wanted the beach front space which is hard to come by. We made the reservation on Nov 2011 for Nov 2012. Unfortunately, we had to cancel this reservation. I cancelled the reservation for 16 Nov 2012 on 04 Sept 2012 by email for which I asked for a reply so I would know that they received the cancellation. They replied stating that they would cancel the reservation and send my money back. I called 14 Sept 2012, emailed again 08 Nov 2012, called again 06 Jan 2013 and emailed again 08 Jan 2013. It is now 20 Feb 2013 and we still do not have our deposit returned!!!! We will never stay at Playa Bonita RV Park again since they cannot conduct business like this.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Clio, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Playa Bonita in Puerto Penasco. The hotel is pleasingly attractive, very clean, the staff competent and friendly. The hotel is right on the beach, as close to the beach as any hotel in Puerto Penasco, and all the rooms have balconies facing the sea. There are two fairly small but beautiful pools, a large jacuzzi, and terrace overlooking the beach. The hotel has a very nice restaurant and bar/lounge with both indoor and outdoor areas for dining. We really enjoyed our walks along the beach which is long, very clean, groomed daily, and not crowded. The water in February is a bit cold for swimming, it is very clean, and we had lots of fun searching for all kinds of sea shells along the shore. Attractive and very clean rooms, friendly and attentive staff, and great prices. What more could you ask? We have lived and travelled throughout Mexico for many years. We enjoyed our stay in Puerto Penasco and felt very safe there, too.

Room Tip: Select the third or fourth floor. The higher room numbers are closer to the beach. Example: room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Playa Bonita was very clean. Guys at the front desk very friendly. However, the girl seemed more interested in hanging out with her friends. No wash cloths & only 2 towels in the room even though there were 3 of us. Was right on the beach, even though it says not beach front. 2 pools but too cold to even get in them. Had a hot tub but a group of people hanging out at it all day & night with coolers of beer so couldn't use. We didn't think they were staying there at hotel was empty but friends of workers just using the hot tub & hotel to party. Would definitely stay again & recommend. Great price & restaurant was attached.

Room Tip: All rooms had some sort of ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Where do I start? I made reservations for a double,(1 room 2 beds) something simple since we would spend most of our time at the beach. Fair pricing I thought when I booked online. Wow was I wrong? It always happens. Family finds out you're going on vacation and you get tag-alongs. On their site its says $8.00 a person if you take extra people. Thats a lie. I had to get an extra room they told me. OK I said,I understand I have quite a few people with me, 2 adults and 5 kids and a teenager. I asked if I can get the family suite, $100 more what the heck lets do it. They charge me for it its all said and done till I get to my room. The shower knob was broken and they could’nt get the part. B.S! So once we unpacked and settled in.. There we go down stairs again. So now I must get 2 rooms ok but my demand was simple, I need them back to back. I got them great , not what I wanted (2 rooms)but oh well we will accommodate. Ok so now my credit card is swiped again charging me for the 2 rooms with the family suite being cancelled already. Wrong!! I just got back to the good ol' U.S of A ,checked my bank statement and guess what I saw? the “CANCELLED SUITE” BEING CHARGED TO MY ACCOUNT PLUS THE 2 ROOM'S I ACTUALLY GOT!! wow!! horrible... not to mention the a.c unit not properly installed,the sliding doors would’nt open correctly, the bed smelled like urine, carpet stunk, and so much more... Please don’t read this review and think this person is picky,because I’m far from it . Believe me. I just don’t think these rooms are worth what they are priced at. A motel 6 in a ghetto neighborhood would be better. Just because its on the beach it should’nt lack in other areas. My rooms where 808 and 810 (4th floor).. Save your money and book at the hotels west of them. Once you are there you will see why.

Room Tip: Double check the hotels west of playa bonita.
El Centro, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Hotel is right on the beach. There is a nice restaurant adjacent to the hotel with live music in the late afternoon. The hotel staff if friendly and helpful. We liked our stay and will probably return again.

Room Tip: The standard room with an ocean view was very nice. The room had 2 queen size beds and an A/C that...
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Cons:
My room had only A/C and a small TV Daewoo; no frig or cooler, no drink water, no coffee machine or microwave, - nothing.
Also, my room was too small, like a closet. The price for this room should be $20-30 (not $90).
The beach is not clean (playa, but not bonita).
My family spent only one night there and run away, we lost $560 (no refund).
Pros: Hot spa

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Playa Bonita Hotel? Share your experiences!