“Great for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 18 hotels in Puerto Penasco
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Great for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Playa Bonita was very clean. Guys at the front desk very friendly. However, the girl seemed more interested in hanging out with her friends. No wash cloths & only 2 towels in the room even though there were 3 of us. Was right on the beach, even though it says not beach front. 2 pools but too cold to even get in them. Had a hot tub but a group of people hanging out at it all day & night with coolers of beer so couldn't use. We didn't think they were staying there at hotel was empty but friends of workers just using the hot tub & hotel to party. Would definitely stay again & recommend. Great price & restaurant was attached.

Room Tip: All rooms had some sort of ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Where do I start? I made reservations for a double,(1 room 2 beds) something simple since we would spend most of our time at the beach. Fair pricing I thought when I booked online. Wow was I wrong? It always happens. Family finds out you're going on vacation and you get tag-alongs. On their site its says $8.00 a person if you take extra people. Thats a lie. I had to get an extra room they told me. OK I said,I understand I have quite a few people with me, 2 adults and 5 kids and a teenager. I asked if I can get the family suite, $100 more what the heck lets do it. They charge me for it its all said and done till I get to my room. The shower knob was broken and they could’nt get the part. B.S! So once we unpacked and settled in.. There we go down stairs again. So now I must get 2 rooms ok but my demand was simple, I need them back to back. I got them great , not what I wanted (2 rooms)but oh well we will accommodate. Ok so now my credit card is swiped again charging me for the 2 rooms with the family suite being cancelled already. Wrong!! I just got back to the good ol' U.S of A ,checked my bank statement and guess what I saw? the “CANCELLED SUITE” BEING CHARGED TO MY ACCOUNT PLUS THE 2 ROOM'S I ACTUALLY GOT!! wow!! horrible... not to mention the a.c unit not properly installed,the sliding doors would’nt open correctly, the bed smelled like urine, carpet stunk, and so much more... Please don’t read this review and think this person is picky,because I’m far from it . Believe me. I just don’t think these rooms are worth what they are priced at. A motel 6 in a ghetto neighborhood would be better. Just because its on the beach it should’nt lack in other areas. My rooms where 808 and 810 (4th floor).. Save your money and book at the hotels west of them. Once you are there you will see why.

Room Tip: Double check the hotels west of playa bonita.
El Centro, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Hotel is right on the beach. There is a nice restaurant adjacent to the hotel with live music in the late afternoon. The hotel staff if friendly and helpful. We liked our stay and will probably return again.

Room Tip: The standard room with an ocean view was very nice. The room had 2 queen size beds and an A/C that...
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Cons:
My room had only A/C and a small TV Daewoo; no frig or cooler, no drink water, no coffee machine or microwave, - nothing.
Also, my room was too small, like a closet. The price for this room should be $20-30 (not $90).
The beach is not clean (playa, but not bonita).
My family spent only one night there and run away, we lost $560 (no refund).
Pros: Hot spa

Room Tip: go to another hotel
Yuma, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Have stayed many times at the Playa Bonita RV resort and also at their hotel. Wonderful beach to play on, awesome play to look for shells as the tide swings are awesome to watch. The "paving" on the RV resort are shells, Our dogs love to run on the beach which they usually can't do here on the US beaches. When we stayed at the hotel we had a beach front room, Service was wonderful and rooms were nice and clean. Hotel is close to town and we took our bikes and biked all over Puerto Penasco.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We have been coming to Playa Bonita since the early 90's when they opened. We come twice a year with my father also. The staff is always great, the security walking around the park at night is nice. They keep the park very clean, the bathrooms sometimes get a bit messy, but that is because people are messy. We have always felt very safe. The music can get loud from the hotel but we just request a space on the other end of the park. We make our reservations for beach front a year in advance and even have some made for October 2012 and 2013. I can't wait to be there in a week for 10 days of glorious sun, beach and food.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I read the other reviews and was surprised. We really like this place. It is clean, right on the beach and has great views. We were upgraded to a Junior Suite which was nice. This is Mexico and not a splashy resort so, yes the towels are thin and the toiletries poor quality. Bring your own and enjoy the garden, and views, views, views. My husband and I will return with friends and family.
After a day on the beach, we love being able to go for a swim in the pool and enjoy a cocktail at the adjacent restaurant. There usually is live music there. The beach vendors do not bother you on hotel property.

Room Tip: We like to be higher up so the pool noise is entertaining, not annoying.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Playa Bonita Hotel? Share your experiences!