“Our 5th stay and we cannot wait to go back again.” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Crosthwaite LA8 8JE, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crosthwaite
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Our 5th stay and we cannot wait to go back again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at the hotel a couple of weeks ago and it was our 5th stay in a just over a year..we have been coming back again and again, on this latest visit we took our baby for her first holiday and choose to come to the Damson dene as we knew the management (wayne) and staff would go out of their way to help, which they did and made us very welcome..we wouldnt have gone anywhere else for our first holiday as new parents.
we had a family room which was huge. Our evening meal (which they kindly let us eat in the bar as with our baby we felt more comfortable eating in the bar area) was first class as always and breakfast is excellent too. We feel totally at ease and relaxed from the moment we arrive and we cant wait to go back again soon.

Room Tip: Choose a four poster room, worth the little bit extra.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Happy 5th stay! I cannot thank you enough for your repeated visits. We love hosting you and your wonderful new baby as well! I heard you may be returning around Christmas, so I will look forward to seeing you again soon, if that is the case! Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The hotel was OK, I do not understand the rave reviews though, the hotel is old fashioned in both in terms of decor and attitude of staff. The beds were comfortable however smelled of paint, no issue though, however on our first night we were woken by workmen at 915, and the second morning by workmen using an angle grinder at 0900. I know not every body sleeps in but to not be told about this owrk at check in is unacceptable.

On check out I mentioned this, and the receptionst could not muster anything more than a haf apology, which was all I required, she was more intrested in taking my payment. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I do apologise for any inconvenience caused by the work being done whilst you were staying. I am dismayed at your comments regarding our attitudes to service. Everyone is always so friendly and genuinely enjoy meeting our guests and ensuring they are well-looked after. I am sorry you did not receive this level of service and I will ensure all of the staff will rededicate themselves to the principles of great customer service, something that has helped us stand apart in the past.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Quiet Setting, friendly staff excellent food. Four course meal included on first night very nice overlooking the pond and gardens. Loved those breakfasts! Back in the evening, couple of Malts in the bar in to the jacuzzi and a very good nights sleep. Excellent!

Room Tip: Go for the jacuzzi rooms worth the extra
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your lovely review! It sounds like you had a wonderful, relaxing stay (not to mention a nice little routine going whilst staying). We all couldn't be more happy. We do hope you'll visit us again.
Washington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Found the hotel to be clean with the food and staff excellent. Read a previous review that stated the hotel was shabby.Our room could be considered to be updated with some finishing touches eg the window to be finished being painted. Allowing for this my wife and I would not hesitate to make a return visit to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
I couldn't agree about our staff and food, both are 5-star quality. As I type, we are working on the finishing touches in our rooms, fresh paint, etc. The little things in some of our rooms will be seen to in the next few weeks. Thanks again and I do hope you consider us the next time you are in the Lakes!
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

My hustand & I stayed at the Damson for a 2 night break away for his 50th. The hotel staff were very approachable and friendly. We ate there on the first evening and would have eaten there a second if it we hadnt been out exploring so late so we ended up stopping off somewhere else on the way back. For breakfast I was the awkward one who wanted veggie sausages and the chef cooked those for me-no fuss.
We loved the food and of course the choice of wines and ale!! The hotel was immaculate - we did worry that as they allowed dogs it might not be.
Thank you guys!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for your great review! I love hearing how wonderful the food is from our guests; it never gets old! I appreciate that you spared a word for our great wine list and local ales as well! I look forward to seeing you again!
BURTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Husband dog and I stayed at the damson dene for long weekend 29/9/12 we all enjoyed our stay excellent food varied menu kept the old man happy as he can eat for England! very well presented never saw the chef but thanks !! Other staff made sure we were well looked after hotel clean and welcoming enjoyed the reception area sofa newspapers and log fire as the weather was terrible on Sunday! I was also treated to a spa afternoon and treatments the pool areas were good and was made to feel relaxed and special by the beauty therapist. The location of hotel is short drive from Windemere making this a lovely quiet get away Hotel is very dog friendly and were welcomed in bar were we met other dogs and their owners over drinks Wish had checked hotel website groupon etc for offers as another couple paid a lot less than we did and our room was quite small

Room Tip: room 19 small
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
This is a very nice review, so thank you for that! We do love dogs here and I am very happy you were able to bring your pooch along for a break! The chef will be very happy with your comments as well! The days are turning chillier here and so the fire is definitely on everyday! Thanks.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Beautiful area with nice lake right next to the hotel. Very good breakfast too. However for this kind of money, I would have expected a room bigger than the 10 x 10 room we were given. The bathroom was also tiny. I'm not fussy about hotel rooms but the shower pressure was particularly disappointing. Overall felt that this was overpriced but perhaps this is the going rate in the Lake District

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am happy you enjoyed your breakfast with us and the setting of the hotel. I am sorry your room was not to your liking. We would have gladly moved you to a different room, assuming we had one available. Having said that, the hotel is due to undergo some refurbishment this winter that will make the property even better. Thanks again!

Been to Damson Dene Hotel? Share your experiences!