“So disappointing.......never again!” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: English, British, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: The Black Horse Inn, is located less that a mile from the Exeter Aiport and less than a mile from J29 on the M5. We are a Pub which prepares classic pub meals which offer value. We also prepare daily specials which are an enhancement of our Menu. Buffet Options are also available.We are a large pub which can cater for large groups and family dining.FREE Wifi is available.
Exeter, United Kingdom
“So disappointing.......never again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Unfortunately I chose the Black Horse at Clyst Honiton as the ideal place to celebrate my birthday last week and booked for 9 of us to eat there. It was not a new experience for us, most of us had eaten and enjoyed the food and the ambiance of the place many times before. Apparently it is under new "management" and I use the word loosely. Gone was the lovely lady that greeted us so warmly before and we were "looked after" by a pleasant enough young girl who perhaps needs some guidance in customer relations. My sister ordered a glass of wine which was clearly corked so complained, was given another which was much the same. Trust me, I tasted it and it was like vinegar. Somehow she was made to feel like she was being difficult.

The menus have changed and are now cheap looking laminates similar to those in a Wetherspoons, but without the cheap prices. That gave us a clue that things had changed. I had the whitebait and calamari for starters. It was what it was....frozen, breaded whitebait and similar but battered calamari - ok but nothing to write home about. The main course was truly vile. I had the "slow roasted" belly pork with caramalised apple, brocolli and a fondant potato in a cider sauce. Well, apart from the sauce there was practically nothing on this plate that was pleasant to eat! I noticed the absence of any apple on the plate and asked the waitress, who checked with the chef and told us it was "in the sauce" I think not, there was no sign of it no matter how hard we looked....hmmm we were fobbed off! The brocolli had just been shown the water and was practically raw, the fondant was soggy and as for the pork............omg! The meat was like rubber layered with fat - when you slow roast, the fat renders down into the pork and tenderises the meat. Dont know how they managed to make this so disgusting - two big slabs of chewy fatty meat that had then been fried to make the outside crispy (aka impossible to chew), no crackling, but then that wasn't advertised (and would have been "in the sauce" I suspect, had we commented) I really tried to enjoy it but realised after struggling to swallow the last piece of my first hunk of "meat" that I couldn't fact tackling the second bit. I had given up on the brocolli way earlier.

When the waitress collected our plates I felt the need to complain and asked her to point out my observations to the chef. She said she was sorry I felt like that - end of! No apology, no management/chef/anybody came to see if they could make amends. We weren't looking for a freebie or money off and paid the bill - exactly, to the penny with no tip thank you! Looking back perhaps we should have refused to pay, but hey, like most Brits I don't realy like to complain.

If the new management are actually bothered, I hope they read this and previous recent comments by the looks of things. The pub is out of the way and needs recommendations to keep going, they are only getting poor reviews from our party for sure.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

61% Recommend
exeter
“sad ..again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

as locals we have used the black horse many times ..but wont be doing so again ... in our last 3 visits
from 4 meals 3 were not up to standard ... skinless chicken grilled until the meat was like shoe leather ... sauce on the pasta split and curdled ... and the peas were burnt black on the bottom

second attempt ... had the three sausages ... didn't mention on the menu that one was recooked so often it was hard ..and the gravy with it was tasteless

last attempt was a lunch with a visiting friend ... as we entered we encountered a young man with a phone attached to his ear ... he looked at us and raised a finger as if to shush us ...walked behind the bar and wondered backwards and forwards with out speaking to us ..no other members of staff bothered to ask if we wanted anything just as we were going to leave he ended his call with a happy " ok mate see you later " ... we asked for a menu and sat in the bar with a coffee...we ordered burgers .... mine had a very odd taste and the place was very cold .... so I didn't eat it ...at no point did anyone ask if our meal was ok ..the first time we saw anyone again was to pay the bill ...the bar has a wonderful open fire ..well it is when lit ... it also warms the place we were considering going for new years .... considered it ....no sorry black horse I wont be back until we hear the management has changed

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Yuck!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Right, this has to be the worst food and service we have ever had the displeasure of parting with our hard earned cash for.

We were a party of 10 celebrating a birthday, and I'll be brief;

Wine: don't bother, its all junk!
Food: Apart from the steak and ribs, the four members of our group who had the belly pork, all complained and not once did a member of staff address our complaints or offer any recompense at all! Who the hell do they think they are? The customer is king and if they continue with their ineffectual service, they wont have any.

Never, ever, ever again!!!

Torquay, United Kingdom
“Lunch”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I had very small jacket potato, and to be honest it tasted as if it had been cooked previously and partially warmed up, as it was cold, and there was no butter, for £6.95,it was very expensive, I was very disappointed, the salad was ok, but i wanted a jacket potato, not all the fancy salad stuff....!

I would not recommend this place to anyone, which is a shame as it looks so nice, with a good size car park, shame about the food....!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing meal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

The new owners need to get their act together before they lose all their regulars. We dropped in with friends for lunch. My scallop starter was overcooked and cold. The food throughout was served on cold plates. The website is still saying free WiFi which is not true at the moment, the staff say it will be soon.

• Visited October 2013