“Most unwelcoming.” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: English, British, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: The Black Horse Inn, is located less that a mile from the Exeter Aiport and less than a mile from J29 on the M5. We are a Pub which prepares classic pub meals which offer value. We also prepare daily specials which are an enhancement of our Menu. Buffet Options are also available.We are a large pub which can cater for large groups and family dining.FREE Wifi is available.
“Most unwelcoming.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We didn't book but the carpark was by fairly quiet so we went in. The manageress was most put out that we didnt have a booking and it was clearly all a bit too much effort for her. Went elsewhere!

BlackhorseManagement, Manager at The Black Horse Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the Black Horse Inn.
I would like to apologise for your experience at our establishment.
Please could you contact me on 01392-366649 so I can further investigate the matter and discuss the matter with the team on duty.
I would like to get to the bottom of this and ensure that this type of welcome is never experienced again by yourself or a future guest.
Thank you once again for your time and for bringing this matter to my attention.
Kind regards
Julian
Manager

Exeter, UK
“Disappointed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012 via mobile

We visited on a Thursday evening when the place was fairly quiet, so you would expect good food and good service. We were, on the whole, disappointed. First of all, the front page of the menu offered two main meals for £14, but when we ordered we were told "they don't do that any more". When we pointed it out in the menu, she just said "oh, that should have been taken out". Our fish and chips were distinctly average. My mother's vegetarian burger was non-existent, it was simply a bap with a slice of mushroom with some salsa sauce on top and a piece of lettuce, served with a few chips - this was £9! When asked how our meal was, my mother expressed how disappointed she was with the vegetarian burger as there was no 'burger'. The server went to the kitchen and when she returned said the chef said it was all in the description, which didn't mention a burger - but surely the title would indicate that this would be included! Following this complaint no offer was made to compensate, no reduction on the bill etc, not even an apology for the poor description. We won't be returning.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
BlackhorseManagement, Manager at The Black Horse Inn, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our Establishment. I can only apologise for your disspointing experience and the bad attitude you received from the team on the night of your visit. This does not portray our usual levels of service and the standard of the Black Horse Inn.
I would like to apologise for the team, and would welcome you to come and enjoy another Meal at the Black Horse Inn to experience first hand the improvements I have made after my return from holiday.
Please once again, accept my sincerest apologies and I do hope that you accept my offer to return for a meal and I ensure you, everything will be as you would normally expect.
Speak to me upon your return and I will make up for our shortcomings on your previous visit.
Regards
Julian
“Don't waste your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012 via mobile

Came for a staff party with a set menu, 3 choices for each and one starter and one of the desserts was changed with out informing us resulting in people having to change, the roast turkey tasted like plastic ana was cold veg was cold, the date and orange pudding which turned out to be sticky toffee pudding was burnt, one member of staff Was paticularly rude and we felt like we were causeing problems
Bottom line don't waste your money stay at home and have a ready meal

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
BlackhorseManagement, Manager at The Black Horse Inn, responded to this review, March 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Black Horse Inn.
I apologise that your experience at our establishment was not a memorable one. It is unfortunate that you were not informed of the change in the dessert on the day.
I have spoken to the team regarding the effectiveness of communication to both the guests and the rest of the team.
I also have to apologise for the rudeness of one of the team members, and I can only apologise. The team member in question is no longer employed at the Black Horse Inn, as we had several complaints regarding rudeness.
I have investigated the issues you brought up and can assure you that your experience does not reflect the normal service and hospitality offered by our team.
It is only through constructive criticism that I can address these problems and rectify them for future guests, and for this I thank you for your feedback.
Regards
Manager
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Maybe we picked the wrong night to visit!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We visited on a Saturday 7th January as it is very conveniently located off the M5. Unfortunately we were not as impressed as other reviewers seem to be. Despite the restaurant being half empty we waited over an hour for our main course. I think it speaks volumes of an establishment when the steak arrives cold and the fries, tasting of stale fat, are so soaked in grease (but still crunchy!) that they are virtually uneatable. Unfortunately I was so hungry and we were with friends that I didnt have the energy to complain. Also the puddings offered so much but delivered so little! Sorry, but wouldnt recommend on my experience.

• Visited January 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Devon
“Child-friendly atmosphere and lovely food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Now that we have our little one, our option for dining are a bit more limited. We tried the black Horse as it was recommended by friends and we were not disappointed. the food was good and we were made to feel welcome by the staff who were nice and attentive. We'll definitely go back again.

• Visited December 2011