“Good bar menu” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Marlow, United Kingdom
“Good bar menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Couldn't get into the restaurant but enjoyed a good meal in bar. Big portions, tasty flavours, garlic roasted new potatoes were particularly good. Worth the trip but book in advance.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Newbury, United Kingdom
“A bit disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Nice place full of character.

My wife had French onion soup which was absolutely fine. I had beetroot cured gravadlax which was awful. Very salty but my main gripe was the quality of the salmon which was full of sinews and very chewy, I spent plenty of time pulling strands of inedible fish out of my mouth. I told the waitress but got little reaction (and no apology).

Fortunately, he main course of venison, kale, roasted shallots and dauphinoise potatoes was really excellent. Nevertheless, there is no shortage of excellent places to eat in this area and I doubt that we will return.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Reading, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife and I have dined here at lunch time on many occasions, and they have never let us down (- in fact, I am amazed at any negative reviews!). Today, my wife had the set menu (which she said was brilliant), whilst I had the pidgeon (which was excellent), followed by the pave of venison, which was also excellent.
We have lunched at places that were probably twice the price, but in all honesty weren't as half as good, so am amazed at some of these reviews.
Ignore the "so-so" reviews - you will be extremely hard pushed to do better at the price! (and probably ignoring the price!).

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Ok but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Visited the Pot Kiln twice recently, once for a bar meal and again to eat in the restaurant.

The bar food is very good in terms of quality, price and quantity and I would thoroughly recommend it.

The restaurant on the other hand disappoints. I had pidgeon and black pudding starter followed by duck leg. My partner had muntjac starter and venison main course. The pidgeon was tasty but the tiniest number of pancetta sized pieces of black pudding and bacon were a disapointment and overall the dish lacked flavour. The Muntjac, which is served with what looks like chopped up pieces of tagliatelli, was sludgy. The duck was well cooked and enjoyable, but nothing special, the venison likewise. Vegetables are served in motorway cafe style oval pots and could have been better presented. The sticky toffee pudding was good as was the cheese board. The wines are good.

I have the feeling that the restaurant trades on the gamey menu, its owner's name and perhaps the likelihood that few eat this kind of meal normally. I have had better elsewhere so have rated the place OK as a pub eatery but not that good compared to a restaurant.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Inkpen, United Kingdom
“Great expectations, but only average on the day and so disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Six of us visited this restaurant yesterday for dinner and the challenges started as soon as we arrived. It had been raining and it was dark and blustery. The car park was not well lit in parts and I stepped in a puddle and stumbled in a dark, uneven, area.

Next challenge was the seating. Six of us, three each side, were seated in a very small area with space for just two tables – so small that the backs of our chairs were so close to the other table (that I think seated eight) that the waiter/waitress had difficulty squeezing through. It was very warm and unpleasant.

We were offered one slice of bread – the bread basket was not left on the table. We should have asked for more because the bread was excellent.

As for the food, some of us had just returned from the South West of France and so we ordered the foie gras and duck confit to compare it with the French regional specialities we had enjoyed over the years. This version of foie gras with chicken parfait was OK. The duck confit was OK. One of our group had one of the day’s Specials – French Onion soup. In aiming to be ‘as it should be’ it erred too much on the side of the solid with arguably too little soup. Two had steaks with a sauce. The steaks were OK but there was another challenge – no steak knives. We asked for some but were told they didn’t have any left. One of us had the venison and he said it was good. Desserts were very good, though. Some had sticky toffee pudding, others the warm chocolate and orange pudding. My wife and I just had an espresso – it was far too bitter, not good. The wine list was above average – the St Emilion was excellent.

The cost was OK and worked out at about £35 a head including drinks. Oh yes – we had to pay a £60 booking fee in advance (it was deducted from the bill).

The staff who served the drinks and dishes saved the evening. They were very pleasant.

Overall, this restaurant creates expectations that, for us, were not delivered last night. We may have been more comfortable and relaxed seated in a part of the restaurant where table spacing was better. So no fundamental complaints, but not a memorable experience. It may prove a more attractive proposition to those who like game, and to those who live locally.

We would have liked to have given The Pot Kiln an overall 3+ stars - it's better than Average, but in our view it's not an overall 4-star Very Good.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere