“A nice week away” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Yucatan Beach

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Yucatan Beach to your Saves list
Catalonia Yucatan Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 MZ, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Ontario
“A nice week away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

My friend and I stayed at this resort the week of June 6-13 of this year. I had previously been to Mexico once before. The resort was nice, we were not overwhelmed by the staff trying to convince us to upgrade. We had already decided prior to arriving that the benefits of the upgrade were not important to us during our vacation. The basic room was more than sufficient for our needs. We were also surprised to see a bottle of tequila, magnet, bag of chips, bottle of pop on the dresser when we entered the room. These were free of charge. There was a bottle of water in the bathroom with a note attached mentioning that only the first was free but we received a new bottle almost daily when ours was empty at no additional cost.

The resort had vendors in the evening more often than not. The grounds were nice and well maintained. We spent majority of the day in the pool with the Tequila swim up bar. The staff at the swim up were amazing! You could paint ceramics beside the pool for a cost. I would recommend bringing your own bubba cup for drinks as the cups you are served your drinks in a reusable and poorly washed (rinsed only). A couple of times I was served a drink in a glass with a bit of lipstick on the rim. I know people joked about the alcohol in the drinks killing off any bacteria but the thought sharing an oral transmitted disease with a complete stranger was less than appealing.

There were two buffets, one was air conditioned and the other was closed in by netting but allowed for the ocean breeze to keep you cool. If you look forward to a cappuccino in the evenings like I do, the second buffet mentioned is the only place where you could be served one. You may try each of the a la cartes once. We tried them all with the exception of the Italian. The Japanese was entertaining as they interact with the group as they cook. The Mexican and Steak house were fine but nothing to rave about.

The main beach was not great as it was rocky but I enjoyed the lagoon area which connects to the main beach. I would visit the lagoon each day after lunch, bringing some bread with me to feed the fish, this was one of the highlights of my vacation.

We did the free shuttle to Playa Del Carmen, the one where you have to stop at the jewelry factory. Ladies got a free imitation Pandora bracelet. The stop is about 30 minutes and you are on your way to Playa Carmen. I did not feel pressure to purchase anything at the factory and you could wait outside after a quick look at the jewelry. We had approximately 2 hours in Playa Del Carmen which was definitely not enough time. If I were to do it again I would take the free shuttle there and take a taxi back to the resort when I was ready to.

My biggest complaint about this resort was the accepted currency and the stores only accepting room charges for purchases. On my previous trip to Mexico USD and Mexican Pesos was the most accepted forms of currency. As I am Canadian I had converted my money over to USD prior to leaving for Mexico and did not bring much CAD as I was expecting that it would not be useful to me on my vacation. I was annoyed to discover while checking in that the front desk would only accept CAD as payment for purchases made on the resort, unless you were billing it to your credit card, then it would be charged in USD. Thankfully the resort did have a currency exchange booth that was open during the day time but I was still frustrated by the fact that I was paying the exchange rate a second time while changing my money back to CAD. So just a tip for Canadian's traveling to this resort, do not convert your money. CAD was accepted in Playa Del Carmen and even had a better rate than the other accepted currencies.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Sweetdreams0703,

We would like to thank you for choosing Catalonia Yucatan beach for your resent vacation.

We appreciate the positive comments.

We regret that we were not able to meet your needs and rest sure, that we will pass your feedback to the proper departments and to take into consideration.

I hope you can give us the chance to be your host once again this time to exceed your expectations.

Yours truly,

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Just want to let you know the Catalonia Yucatan is located right next to the Catalonia Riviera Maya so the nice pics you see are actually from this other hotel. The service is great , but the rooms even though are kept very clean are more like a 3 stars. You arrive and they tell you that you will have access to all the amenities from the other hotel obviously a much better. The beach is full of rocks only good for snorkeling. Food and service were very good.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Jhenny M,

We would like to thank you for providing your feedback about your recent stay in Catalonia Yucatan Beach.

We regret that we were not able to accomplish your expectations.

We appreciate the nice comments about the service and food,

Please, feel free to contact us directly to provide a more details about your vacations. We take our guest's feedback really serious since it help us to improve our standard.

We remain at you service.

Petrolia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We visited this resort July 22-29, 2014. We were a bit early to check in so we had lunch and came back to get the key to our room. The rooms were nice and clean and adequate for what we needed. The elevator for our area was not in use the entire time we were there. We did find a easier way to get to our room that was on the 3rd floor. We also loved the free wifi, and found that it worked best in the lobby. The tv worked great and we had no problems with the shower or air conditioning. The room attendent Ofelia who was very nice cleaned our room daily and I appreciated the clean towels they were nice and big. We did not have a fridge in our room but we found we didn't really miss having one. We had a safe in our room and there was a charge of 3.00/day. The safe worked fine for us. We enjoyed the food all week at the buffet which was a very nice dining room and it was air conditioned. The hostess who greeted us was Tania and our family really enjoyed her greeting us each evening and seating us at our table each night. Tania is a great asset to this hotel she is just lovely. We enjoyed all our meals here every night and I must mention Lucas, Raul, and Allan, they were excellent servers who always greeted us with a smile and always looked after our drinks as well. We also visited one alacart which was the steak house and we enjoyed this restaurant, you could get steak but also a number of other variety of choices as well. Our service was perfect and the server I must mention is Abraham, very friendly and always looked after every detail of our meal there. My daughter and niece ages 18 and 22 loved the pool at the catalonia riviera side where the entertainment took place. My husband and I enjoyed the beach to the far left of the resort. The front of this resorts beach is quite rocky and I would suggest water shoes. However to the left it is nice and sandy and we were able to swim over there, and there are lots of fish to be found there too quite fun snorkling. There is not a long beach here, but my husband and I enjoyed a walk on the board walk each night, we really enjoyed the fact that this resort is very close to the ocean, it was just lovely. The beach towls were great you could exchange them whenever you needed and Bernardo was very friendly every day he greeted us and whenever we went by the towel hut always called out a greeting. My daughter and niece wanted to mention Javier who was at the Catalonia Riviera pool, always social and friendly. The entertainment in the evening was ok, it is a quiet resort for my niece and daughter who were looking for more action, as for my husband and I we enjoyed a early night as we were tired from the activity throughout the day. Check out was quite easy, however I only have one complaint, the resort asked to have the safe paid in Canadian currency, so we did and the safe was 21.00. However when my husband paid the fee the desk person Gabriella, was quite rude that they did not except our coin. I understand that but they asked specifically for Canadian. We always bring US currency with us and so she was quite rude and said some very impolite things to my husband and I. So They want Canadian but not our coined dollar which is the loonie, I am not sure what other dollar she expected us to have. This is our fourth time in Mexico and we always carry US currency with us. Otherwise everything here at this resort was great. I would recommend this resort, however I would suggest this resort figure out what currency they would like their fee of the safe paid in.

Room Tip: If you need access to a elevator make sure you state this as the elevator was out of service the ent...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Yvonne T,

We would like to thank you for your nice comments.

We will pass your positive feedback you our staff. They will really happy to hear your kind words.

It was such a real honor to be your host during this vacations and I hope you visit us again soon.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I just got back on Sunday , July 20 th , from this resort . Everything was great , food was 4.5 out of 5. We really enjoyed the fact that you could eat every day fresh chicken or beef or pork cooked right in front of your eyes. Like this they don't waste the food and the vacationers eat every day fresh food. They have 5 nice pools, very nice, with walk up bar , and stuff. When we got to the beach we understood why . Their beach , the one that has a nice bar just 30 ft from the water, is all full of rock, big ones, and unless you got water shoes, you can not get in that water, as the rocks are very slippery and hard to walk on it. The only think we like about the rest of the beach is the fact that the other end of the beach has a very nice, cute, little lagoon ,if i can call it like that. Is got sand everywhere, and is small water , very good for kids. Is a very interesting in there because is got a small opening , maybe 6 ft, and thru that one you can swim to the open ocean. As soon as you try to get to the open ocean , you run again into the same , rocky ocean bottom like the other end of the beach. But, what we really enjoyed about this part of the beach is the fact that is got something that is very nice and interesting. You can actually do little bit snorkeling on that side of the beach. There are big groups of fish coming in that little lagoon, kids have a lot of fun trying to catch em, as the water is only like, 3 feet deep. I had to mention this little lagoon because i did check out the reviews as well before we decided to go to this resort,and they were part true, part exaggerated. The resort is very nice, and is got few things that we didn't find in other resorts. It has 4 a la carte restaurants and we end up going just in one, the one they were bragging that is the best , and we actually waited 2.5 hrs to get in , to get a tiny steak , the absolutely the same one we had next day at lunch, on the grill, on demand. After we saw that , we decided not to go check out the other ones anymore. If there was one place we really, really enjoyed, and thats the one i said we didn't find anywhere else before, was the crepes bar. We had a blast in there every nite. Was one of the most delicious thinks we ever eat.That was amaizing, super tasty , as well as the milkshakes . We had wifi in the room, but you only get that if you upgrade your room to the privilege , as they call it. Other ways, free in the lobby. The room was great , with rain shower and marble shower, nice flat screen TV , free safe, free refreshments daily , nice closets , etc. We go that upgrade by accident, we didn't know what is mean the privilege, was just on sale and we liked the price and we got it. Another thing i have to clear about this is the fact that people who went there and were not upgraded , complain that they were restricted fr a lot of things, including the beach , but is not really true. Anybody could go into the privilege area, nobody would kick em out,cause nobody is ever there to check your bracelet. Also, when we went to eat, our table was right next to their, with the exception that our had a little ,little sign on it ,saying is the privilege. Thats it , other than then, we were eating the same food, swimming in the same pools, going to the same bars, etc.
Anyways, overall, not a huge variety of food, but more than enuff to satisfies almost any type of vacationer. We will not go back there again just because we like to to all the time in a different place, to check em all out, but is not a bad resort. If you r a beach person big time, go somewhere else, other than that, i would totally recommend it. We didnt find anywhere else before snorkeling on site or this crepes bar, so is got a bunch of interesting things. You can get dinner on the beach too, for extra of course.Vry friendly and helpfull staff , very nice and clean rooms.

Room Tip: upgrade the room is worth it ,if u r a couple,other ways is expensive.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Juls722014,

First of all we would like to thank you for writing and choosing our Hotel and I would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the most importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.We have a very special beach because the extensive reef its on it, so its a nice experience to be with the nature , we glad that you enjoy it.

We hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Sincerely
Hotel manager
SUFFOLK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We visited this hotel in May 2014. The hotel itself is part of a 2 hotel complex, you can use either side, 2 lots of buffet restaurants.

The Riviera Maya Side has the indoor buffet restaurant and the Yucatan side has nets up to stop the birds coming in (it doesn’t, they still come in)

We upgraded our room to a Comfort room and that gave us a mini bar, which was replenished daily, a safe, coffee machine and a special part of the beach with more comfy beds. It also gave us a bar on the beach which only upgraded people could use. Also it came with free access to the Tapas restaurant (which standard rooms would have to pay for)

The upgrade can be done on arrival or even half way through your holiday and they just charge you for the nights in the upgraded room. If you like the Catalonia Yucatan page on facebook it will then give you some vouchers to print off to get a percentage off your upgrade.

Food was good with plenty of choice, specialty restaurants were good too, the best one would be the Japanese, mainly because the chef puts on a bit of a show.

The beach itself is OK, you cannot get into the sea without sand shoes though as it is very rocky, but the sand is lovely. There are plenty of beds in the standard area, of course you get people putting towels on early in the morning but this happens everywhere, there are big notices up asking people not to do it but it still happens.

Please note this hotel does not take US dollars, only pesos, but all purchases at the shops within the hotel are charged to your room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear TIMBERS14,

We regret that we were not able to fulfill your expectations.

We appreciate the nice comments about the hotel. Great advises!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We arrived at Hotel Catalonia on the 5th June to be greeted warmly by the friendly receptionist and were handed a welcome drink. The rooms were large, cool and kept very clean; ours had a lovely view over a garden with palm trees, Iguanas and Agouti (animal) playing amongst the tropical plants. All the staff were exceptionally friendly- expect to say 'hola!' to every member of staff you pass, be it security, concierge, bar staff or cleaner. At all times we were made to feel very welcome.

The buffets were well-stocked and varied- we stayed two weeks and did not get bored. I am a fussy vegetarian so that was an unexpected bonus! We also ate at the Italian, grill and Mexican restaurants and had good-quality food and customer service each time. We would have eaten at the others however the booking system is a bit unusual- try to get to the restaurants with enough time to book in for the evening.

The entertainment was fun and also varied- we personally tried Archery, joined in the Mexico night, did pool aerobics, volleyball, went to the beach party and karaoke, did a couple of dance classes by the pool and watched a guacamole-making demonstration. I'm not really one for hotel entertainment, but the reps were friendly and welcoming and worked hard to include everyone so it was hard to resist joining in and having a laugh too. We also borrowed boats and paddled in the lagoon. The lagoon is amazing- warm water, sheltered from the sea preventing currents and full to the brim with a variety of friendly and beautiful fish. Absolutely incredible.

The bars were well-stocked and the bar staff were knowledgable, producing a variety of drinks on the cocktail menu as well as others. The beer and cocktails were yummy (beware frozen cocktails melting in record time in the strong heat!) and water/iced tea was available self-service at all times.

We booked several trips through our rep and enjoyed every one, although because the hotel is paired with the one next door there was occasionally confusion as to where the pick-ups were for each excursion. Make sure you check with your rep and if in doubt let reception know- they will ring through and check with the other reception that you're not missing your trip!

We were genuinely sad to leave after two weeks and have not stopped thinking about our holiday and our time at the hotel since. We want to travel the world more but it is going to be hard to not come back when planning our next trip!

Room Tip: Ours was near the kids play area and one of the main pools and yet was still very quiet- not sure th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Limabifrost,

Sincerely
Hotel manager
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We have just returned from staying at this hotel. It was more than we expected. The hotel itself is set in the village and is very clean and well maintained. The mariners are lovely to walk round and are surrounded by plenty of restaurants. The food in the hotel was good and my husband being a veggie never had any problems. We were also give 4 al a carte vouchers which could be used in the Japanese, Mexican or Italian restaurants which were very good. The Japanese one is really good fun and is a must. The main restaurant is self service but good choices for all meals. The cocktail bar in the pool is great and has so many cocktails to choose from and the staff there work so hard. The pool is lovely very clean and plenty of sun beds to go round. Towels provided so no need to take any with you. Our room was no 2135 and overlooked the garden, pool and sea. The rooms are spacious with two double beds, good shower and tv if you want it. All rooms have balconies and good views. The maid cleans everyday and if you want clean towels just put the others in the bath. The beach is great and lots of sun beds, There is a coral reef in the main part of the beach and a bit stoney to begin with but to the left hand side there is a beautiful lagoon to swim in. Lots of beautiful fish (I fed them everyday with a bread roll)
We are hoping to go back maybe in February to this hotel as we loved it so much, Great staff so friendly and helpful, especially Rebecca and Eric in the main restaurant. This hotel also has the advantage of using its sister hotel next door so increased the amount of swimming pools to use. There is also a childrens pool and two Jacuzzis in the pool.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear Lizofsurrey

We are glad to know that your last stay at Catalonia Riviera Maya was a pleasant one and we really appreciate your comments about the hotel and staff, and our restaurants!!! we work every day to give you our best service and make you feel comfortable.

We hope to have you back soon, it would be great to have you here again in your home Catalonia.

Best Regards

The Management

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!