“Fantastic get away. Better then I expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Yucatan Beach

You added Catalonia Yucatan Beach to your Saves list
Catalonia Yucatan Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 MZ, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
moose4774
“Fantastic get away. Better then I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

After reading a few bad reviews I was apprehensive upon arriving to the resort. It turns out my doubts were unfounded. I shall start out with the staff, everyone treated my girlfriend and I with respect and were friendly beyond belief, they were simply put amazing. The resorts grounds were very clean and it seemed they took pride in it as they were always out tending to it. For the food, the buffet, we found the food to be good. The breakfast omelette was very tastey. We did a few a la Cartes, and enjoyed them very much. The Japanese one the chef was very entertaining. I read a review previously that someone complained about leaving the room for another table to have desert. Well if they think about it they can only serve so many people per night, it's not a hardship. I loved how the resort is within a very short walk to a marina where they had dolphins and manatees where you could swim with. We swam with the manatees and that was unreal. I liked the security was good, it made you feel secure. I shall mention the room now, we did not do the upgrade but do regret that decision. The room was simple but clean. And to be honest were only there to sleep anyways. The bathroom was a good size and also very clean. The pools were nice and warm and very enjoyable. I have a sunburn beyond belief cause of my self inflicted fun lol. I only had minor things that bothered me but don't consider game changers, there wasn't bacon every day and you had to wait to be seated at the buffet. As I said these were not game changers. One last point, the cappachinos at breakfast was addicting.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Moosde 4774

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments.
It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.
We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Polish first
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We took a package deal to this resort Mar.12-19/2014
The 72 km. trip from the airport to the hotel took 80 minutes with a stop at another hotel.
Check in was painfully slow with no welcome drink to soothe the pain.
When we got to our room we discovered there was no daily drinking water supplied (you can't drink the water from the faucet- if you want water after your 2 litres of alloted water run out, you must go to the Bar!) no refrigerator,coffee maker or iron which was a surprise because it is rated as a 4 star resort. The room safe costs $ 3.00/day but you can't pay in U.S. cash, just pesos, CDN.dollars or credit card.
This hotel works on an upgrade system, where they try to sell you upgrades before you can get your room key....very irritating
The room and beds were tired looking but clean. The pillows were skinny blobs of foam chips.
The bathroom was clean but again tired looking and we discovered later that the aged toilet didn't flush. It was rectified on the 2nd day after 3 trips by the maintenance staff.
After our toilet was fixed we resolved to try to enjoy ourselves and we did.
The Catalonia Yucatan resort is joined to the Catalonia Riviera Maya resort next door and the facilities are shared. The Yucatan seems to be the older of the two and consists of two 4 storey buildings where as the Riviera Maya has multiple smaller 3 storey buildings + a modern newer
exclusive section at extra cost.
We found the staff to be friendly and helpful, the buffet restaraunts to be good and the a la carte
restaraunts to be sometimes excellent. The ony problem is that there is no booking system for the a la carte restaraunts, so you must show up and wait for a table.
It would make a lot of sense to put an online booking system in considering there is free Wi-Fi
(of varying stengths) available throughout the resort.
The nightly entertainment at the theatre was excellent compared to most all-inclusives and the
entertainment staff were friendly and very energetic.
There was also good live entertainment in the lounge outside the theatre before and after the
nightly show.
The beachfront was quite windy the week we were there were sea urchins in the water so water shoes are advised. There is a man made lagoon where I didn't see any sea urchins and has
a safe shallow beach of its own.
I tried snorkelling on one of the less windy days and explored the clumps of coral out front of the main beach, but the coral was mostly dead and there wasn't much fish life.
There were actually more fish in the lagoon and many more minnows.
the resort is within the Puerto Aventuras gated community, which has a Golf course,Marina and Dolphin attraction within 10 minutes walk of the hotel, there are also small shops a pharmacy and cafe's around the Marina.
We walked the entire perimiter of the community in aprox. 75 minutes.
There is a fitness centre at the resort which looked quite good plus a luxurious spa facility at extra cost.
The resort was very busy the week we were there, at times too busy.as we prefer quieter resorts.
We probably will not return as we prefer to be within walking distance of a town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Brandon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

My wife and I have come to this hotel for our honeymoon, and we are still here. I hate to say this but I am deeply disappointed that we chose to come here.

After an 11 hour flight and an hour bus journey we were incredibly tired and incredibly grouchy so just wanted to collapse in our room. The hotel looks okay from the outside, nothing spectacular but fine nonetheless.

The travel agent had informed the hotel that this was our honeymoon but we had to remind the receptionist about this. She asked us if we'd like the honeymoon suite. My wife and I looked at each other and agreed only to be told that we would have to pay extra on what was an already expensive holiday! We understandably declined.

We were told that our room was ready, but wasn't told the way to go so we had to struggle to find it ourselves. When we did find it the room was still being cleaned! The maid told us to wait 5 minutes which turned into 15 minutes (as we stood outside the room with our suitcases) and when we finally got into our room we had to leave immediately as the air conditioning was leaking all onto the floor. We went to reception to complain and they moved us to another room but with twin beds that couldn't be pushed together (which isn't exactly fitting for a honeymoon!) That night turned out to be a beach party which kept me awake for ages due to the close proximity to the room, as well as some woman yelling outside our room at 3 in the morning!

The following day we were able to properly look round the hotel in daylight. It became apparent that the hotel spends a great deal of time trying to upsell to it's guests. There are numerous signs dotted around with 'upgrade now' written on them. I saw inside one of these privileged rooms and I can't see how they justify the extra cost. You basically pay extra for a mini fridge to be stocked up. The room was pretty but smaller than ours!

The food at the resort is very bland. There are two buffet restaurants which serve pretty much identical food daily. They also serve food at breakfast that would be better suited for an evening meal (such as beef stew!). I have to say that the service throughout the hotel and restaurants is absolutely fine, the staff are very keen to get you whatever you want. It is just a shame that the food isn't as exceptional.

As we didn't upgrade we never got to try the tapas restaurant. The Japanese restaurant was great but you had to move to a separate room if you wanted dessert, which we did but never got served in 25 minutes so we just left! The Mexican restaurant surprised me as the food was awful. Considering that we are in Mexico I thought we would be in for a treat but the food was bland and seemed like it could have just been taken from the buffet. The Italian restaurant was lovely but the air con wasn't working. The steak grill restaurant was also okay but again food seemed like rehashed buffet grub.

The elevators haven't worked since we arrived and so being on the top floor means going to and from our room is a bit of a trek.

Room cleaning has annoyed me with it's inconsistencies. We once got woken up at 8.15 by the maid knocking on the door then coming in, then other days we have returned to the room at 4.30pm to find it still hasn't been cleaned! I can't deny that they do a good job when they do do it, just you can't guarantee when it'll be done by.

The pools are okay, but considering the heat and humidity there are very few parasols. Each table has a sign on it that says that you are not to reserve sun loungers with towels out of respect for other guests. This is completely ignored. Numerous times we have made our way to the pool at maybe 8am only to find most of the sun loungers reserved. I hate doing it but I too have had to resort to getting up at 6am to go out and reserve a couple of sun loungers, otherwise we'd never get a seat.

As I said the pools are okay but the entertainment crew do tend to take over them with games, regardless of whether there were people in the pool or not. A few times I've seen parents take their kids out of the pool because the entertainment crew's games were getting too boisterous.

This week has seen the arrival of university students on a week break, and almost overnight the hotel has gone from having a family feel to it to suddenly becoming like an 18 - 30 club resort. This includes noise late at night and generally being a nuisance during the day. Some friends we met have had to complain as the room above them had university students partying until the early hours. Not exactly what you want from a supposedly relaxing holiday.

I am completely disappointed with this hotel and I wouldn't ever come back nor would I recommend anyone come here. For the money you pay you get very little in return.

• Stayed March 2014
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I thought this resort was awesome. Very enjoyable stay. I upgraded to the suite, which included some benefits throughout the resort.

FOOD
Food at this resort was very good. I am a fish eating vegetarian and had no issues finding food to eat. There are a lot of options for places to eat at this resort. There are two buffets, four a la cartes, a tapas restaurant and La Creperie, which serves crepes and ice cream. I only went to La Brisa for the buffet, but I assume the food at both buffets were pretty similar. The food seemed to vary a bit from night to night. For dinner they had a grill station which would offer different meats and fish cooked on the spot, a pasta station and then a variety of other foods. I loved the cheese selection. I tried three of the four a la carte restaurants:
Mikado, the Japanese one. This one was my favourite for the meal. It was a fun time watching them cook the food, and it is a good size meal that tasted really good. The dessert was average.
Bellavista, the Italian one. I enjoyed this place a lot. I had the gnocchi, it was delicious. And the dessert was amazing!
Alebrijes, the Mexican one. I tried the shrimp tacos. Normally I love shrimp tacos but they were stewed shrimp and it tasted kind of odd. My boyfriend had the fajitas and loved them. Again, dessert was amazing. I had the chocolate leaf thing, recommend that if you go here.
We also tried the tapas bar and creperie. The tapas bar has the most adventurous menu, with some items that I normally wouldn't eat. But it was really good. I only tried a banana split at la creperie, but it was very good. My boyfriend had a crepe and loved it. Both of these places didn't open until the evening according to the schedule, but the creperie was open at random times some days. I think they should both be open at lunch as the tapas bar has an amazing view of the ocean but when you are there at night you can't see anything, and the creperie does ice cream, and I wanted ice cream in the middle of the day when it was hot.
There was also a pool side snack bar. I loved this place. It doesn't have much variety, but it has plenty of chips and guacamole, which were delicious.

BEACH
The beach here is awesome. The sand is nice, the sun is hot. If you like to go in the ocean bring water shoes as it is very rocky. Its even hard to go out with water shoes with all the rocks there. There is a diving group on the beach too which do complimentary pool introductions to diving and offer trips you need to pay for. You also can rent snorkels and kayaks for an hour for free from here, and sign up for a free catamaran ride. The catamaran will book up if the resort is busy, so book your time early.
Also, if you feel like waking up early, go down to the beach to watch the sunset once. It's beautiful.
If you upgrade you get to sit in a special section of the beach. The beach chairs are much more comfortable, bean bag chairs, and there is a bar that's only for upgraded people's use. It was awesome.

POOL
There are many pools at the resort. My favourite pool was the one with Margaritas bar in it. Margaritas bar is its name, it serves other drinks than just margaritas. Friendly staff and delicious drinks. There was lots of entertainment. They had a aqua fit class, dancing, and water polo everyday, and then one day during the week there was karaoke. I found it very hard to get good chairs near the pool due to limited seating, but i wanted to sit in the pool anyways so it wasn't a big deal. There is also a ping pong table near both pools.

ROOM
We upgraded to the suite, which was awesome. There was a hot tub on the balcony, but we only ended up using it two or three times as we were out of the room so much. The balcony also had a nice sitting area. Having a suit you also get a mini bar which is stocked daily with beer, pop and water, and get a safe included with the room. I also think the room service was included because we were in a suite. The room service was good and quick. Not a huge menu but it tasted good and was nice when we stayed up late. It was mostly food like burgers, sandwiches and other simple things like that.
The maid service did a good job. The room was nice and clean and we had a nice towel decoration made everyday. My only issue was we left our beach towels to be exchanged one day but they were not exchanged. I am pretty sure we could have just taken them down to the towel hut and changed them though.

ENTERTAINMENT
Every night there was a show put on in the theatre, which is easy to find as there are signs everywhere. It was fun, usually some sort of dance show, one night was karaoke, which turned out to be pretty funny.
One of the nights they had Mexican night where they had games set up where you could win fake money and bid at an auction at the end. There was also a mariachi band. It was fun.
The disco at night was a lot of fun. It didn't have a lot of people there whenever I was there though. But still fun to go dancing and not have to leave the resort. The disco doesn't open until 11, but you can go to the sports bar until then, which is conveniently located right beside it. The sports bar isn't particularly exciting, there's pool tables and giant checkers, so it's good to kill some time before the disco. There was also a golf simulator, but it never looked open.
Vendors set up some nights at the resort. Usually the same people selling blankets, jewelry, carved figures, plates, bowls.... They tell you they're only there one night a week but they were there three or four nights the week I was there. It's nice to go and look at the stuff and if you aren't planning on going into Playa del Carmen you can pick up some souvenirs.
There is also a Marina down the road, like a 10 minute walk from the resort. It's all in a gated community so it is fine to go to. There's a few shops, dolphins and manatees you can pay to swim with, restaurants. All there for tourists. Its a nice little walk around.

There was a wedding at the resort that week too. Looked very beautiful. They seemed to provide music and snacks on the beach for it. Lots of people watch from a distance (including myself).
The resort is nice and quiet. It doesn't feel packed and you see the same people around a lot as it is a very small resort.
Most of the staff were very friendly and never really seemed to expect a tip.
You can easily catch a cab at the front lobby to Playa del Carmen, it was $22 one way. The lobby staff will call a cab for you. The cab gets there very quickly.

Overall we had a great week. We only left the resort for one day, so we spent most our time hanging out around the resort. I recommend it. The suite upgrade was really nice, but we only got it because it was half price. If you're paying full price I am not sure it would be worth it. You can find coupons on the resort's facebook page for room discounts on room upgrades, the spa and wine.

Room Tip: The Tequilla Bar seems to be loud at night, and there are lots of rooms located near it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear CubaJen

We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I visited this resort for a week at the end of February. In shore, the staff was amazing, the food was great, the rooms were clean and modern and the grounds were spotless.
We booked through Noli Tours and had a Noli Plus Priviledged room. We enjoyed the priviledges such as the private beach area and Chill Out Bar. We were also given a pass to the Tapas restaurant. Our room was room 456 in Building B. It was quiet and had two double beds. We didnt need the two beds but used the space to keep us organized!! We had an in room safe and our fridge was restocked with beverages everyday. We were also given preferred seating in the restaurants. The beds were very comfortable and we had a pillow menu.
The staff always had a smile on their faces and greeted us when we passed on the pathways. We felt very safe on and off the resort in Puerto Aventures.
The food was great. We always found amazing food. I gained 5 pounds so something must be good!! Our favourites were the steak house and japanese grill. Just as the reviews say, there are no reservations but we didn't wait for longer than half an hour for a table at any of the restaurants. For the most part, we were seated right away!
The direct entry into the ocean is rocky but we spent most of our time at the lagoon where it is sandy and you can swim into the open ocean from there. I enjoyed the snorkling in the lagoon and ocean right in frount of the resort!
There are activities which you may want to join but we easily relaxed by the pools and beach with no noise.
The hotel is located inside Puerto Aventures which is a gated community. We walked to the marina and stores a couple times. We watched the dolphins and manatees from the walk ways. It is a very safe area.
We booked a snorkling tour to Akamel & Garden of Eden cenote through the dive shop in the hotel and a private tour to Coba & Tulum through Canadian Tours. Both tours took very good care of us and made sure we were comfortable and enjoying ourselves.
We were so tired at the end of the day so we did not see the entertainment.
There are several bars in the resort including two swim up bars.
We will definately be going back.
I would recommend reading the posts about what to expect when you land in Cancun. It helped us tremendously and ensured we were not pulled into time share presentations, etc.
If you have any specific questions, please message me and I will try my best to answer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chatham Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I cant say enough good about this resort, the staff, location, snorkelling, food all where excellent I was never once approach once to buy in but I did see the white shirted guys floating around talking to other people
You do need water shoes for the ocean
Noli tours where excellent we had a bottle of tequila waiting in our room from them as a gift
the food was plentiful tasty with tons of options

Room Tip: up grade when you get there it is worth the extra bring water shoes as the shore is very rocky bri...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mr Belguimcdn

ontario canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We just got back from a week at this Resort. We went there to celebrate our daughters 30th Birthday. The weather was very hot 28-30 C on all the days. There were 3 pools. We usually swam in the first pool from the lobby. The Ocean was refreshing and it is advised that you do bring water shoes as the shore here is rocky. I tried snorkeling, I really wasn't that good at it, however I did see some colourful fish. The specialty restaurants were great. They don't take reservations, we always were able to get in with a minimum wait. If you go try the crepe bar, amazing crepes. Everly was our waitress and she is so sweet, always smiling. We enjoyed the Japanese restaurant the best. We took a ride into Playa de Carmen. Got a free ride, stopped at the Jewelry factory where you could get some great deals if you were looking for them. Playa de Carmen is a real touristry area. I did not buy anything. All around good trip had by all.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, choose a room on the higher floor- 2nd to 4th. Better view. of the ocean. W...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!