“Best get away ever!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Yucatan Beach

You added Catalonia Yucatan Beach to your Saves list
Catalonia Yucatan Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 MZ, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
“Best get away ever!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I visited this resort for a week at the end of February. In shore, the staff was amazing, the food was great, the rooms were clean and modern and the grounds were spotless.
We booked through Noli Tours and had a Noli Plus Priviledged room. We enjoyed the priviledges such as the private beach area and Chill Out Bar. We were also given a pass to the Tapas restaurant. Our room was room 456 in Building B. It was quiet and had two double beds. We didnt need the two beds but used the space to keep us organized!! We had an in room safe and our fridge was restocked with beverages everyday. We were also given preferred seating in the restaurants. The beds were very comfortable and we had a pillow menu.
The staff always had a smile on their faces and greeted us when we passed on the pathways. We felt very safe on and off the resort in Puerto Aventures.
The food was great. We always found amazing food. I gained 5 pounds so something must be good!! Our favourites were the steak house and japanese grill. Just as the reviews say, there are no reservations but we didn't wait for longer than half an hour for a table at any of the restaurants. For the most part, we were seated right away!
The direct entry into the ocean is rocky but we spent most of our time at the lagoon where it is sandy and you can swim into the open ocean from there. I enjoyed the snorkling in the lagoon and ocean right in frount of the resort!
There are activities which you may want to join but we easily relaxed by the pools and beach with no noise.
The hotel is located inside Puerto Aventures which is a gated community. We walked to the marina and stores a couple times. We watched the dolphins and manatees from the walk ways. It is a very safe area.
We booked a snorkling tour to Akamel & Garden of Eden cenote through the dive shop in the hotel and a private tour to Coba & Tulum through Canadian Tours. Both tours took very good care of us and made sure we were comfortable and enjoying ourselves.
We were so tired at the end of the day so we did not see the entertainment.
There are several bars in the resort including two swim up bars.
We will definately be going back.
I would recommend reading the posts about what to expect when you land in Cancun. It helped us tremendously and ensured we were not pulled into time share presentations, etc.
If you have any specific questions, please message me and I will try my best to answer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Polish first
Chatham Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I cant say enough good about this resort, the staff, location, snorkelling, food all where excellent I was never once approach once to buy in but I did see the white shirted guys floating around talking to other people
You do need water shoes for the ocean
Noli tours where excellent we had a bottle of tequila waiting in our room from them as a gift
the food was plentiful tasty with tons of options

Room Tip: up grade when you get there it is worth the extra bring water shoes as the shore is very rocky bri...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Mr Belguimcdn

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments.
It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.
We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Sincerely
Hotel Manager
ontario canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We just got back from a week at this Resort. We went there to celebrate our daughters 30th Birthday. The weather was very hot 28-30 C on all the days. There were 3 pools. We usually swam in the first pool from the lobby. The Ocean was refreshing and it is advised that you do bring water shoes as the shore here is rocky. I tried snorkeling, I really wasn't that good at it, however I did see some colourful fish. The specialty restaurants were great. They don't take reservations, we always were able to get in with a minimum wait. If you go try the crepe bar, amazing crepes. Everly was our waitress and she is so sweet, always smiling. We enjoyed the Japanese restaurant the best. We took a ride into Playa de Carmen. Got a free ride, stopped at the Jewelry factory where you could get some great deals if you were looking for them. Playa de Carmen is a real touristry area. I did not buy anything. All around good trip had by all.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, choose a room on the higher floor- 2nd to 4th. Better view. of the ocean. W...
Moncton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We vacationed at this resort mid March and will not return. We liked the size, the pool and dining room staff were all excellent, very accomodating, the rooms clean but the positive ends here. They are more interested in hooking new clients then upgrading them to priviledge, the front desk staff bordered on rude and there was very little variety in the food, pork being the main staple, no miini fridge. We were 3 travelling together and we were given 2 bottles of water, 1 small gingerale and a bottle of tequila..We asked for another bottle of water (imagine only a bottle of water for each) and were told only 2 bottles were allowed per room!! Housekeeping was hit and miss, day 2 at 4pm I asked front desk why my room was not done and the response was they work from 9 - 6, did I request earlier??? Day 5 room was not done by 6pm despite a request for earlier, no towels or toilet paper, front desk said reason was we had do not disturb sign on our door, first we didn't have a do not disturb sign and second it was on the room next door!! There was no shuttle to 5th Ave for the poor people.. Thus no return...

Room Tip: Upgrade to privilidge if you hope for service, rooms on opposite side of tequila bar are quieter.
Tatamagouche, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We really can not say anything bad about this place.We stayed at this resort from March 9th to the 16th, First of all we did upgrade to a privileged room after looking at the three choices: standard, privileged and suites. The extra perks were well worth it: a nicer room in the villa section, the safe was included, a mini-fridge which was restocked daily with beer, water and soft drinks, access to a computer, preferred seating in the buffet, nicer loungers at the beach and access to the privileged bar near the beach. We were also able to go to the Spanish restaurant.
The beach itself was rocky until you got out about 10-12 ft but we brought our water shoes and had no problems enjoying the beautiful Caribbean water. There was also a lagoon which was more sandy underfoot and also home to lots of fish that would come right up to you and eat bread out of your hand.
The food was delicious for the most part. We preferred Las Brisas buffet but both had a huge selection including fresh fruit, breads, and cheeses. For breakfast you could have a fresh omelette with ingredients of your choice, also the same deal with crepes. We only ate supper there once but the lunch selection was enough you could have something different every day. We went to all of the a-la-carte restaurant. Our favorites were the Italian and Japanese. There was also a crepiere which served all kinds of yummy ice-cream creations. We also had supper on the beach one night thanks to Nolitour. We never found a problem with the no reservation system but usually went close to 6 when they opened. If we had to wait a bit (maybe 20 min) we just sat and had a drink at the bar.
The drinks were great. Lots of selection and a menu to chose from.
The service everywhere was fantastic. The waiters at the restaurants went out of their ways to make our dining experience special. The bar tenders were always smiling and the cleaning staff I swear never stopped. Even late at night walking back to our room we always saw someone sweeping around the pool. The concierge was very friendly and was always asking how we were doing and what our plans for the day where.
The nightly entertainment was our least favorite part but the entertainers were enthusiastic and tried their best. We liked the Mexican night the best but the karaoke was terrible,
There was lots to do on and off the resort. The entertainment staff did a great job here with lots of activities around the pool ( on the riviera side) every day. There were kayaks for our use and 2 catamarans which a guide took you out on. This was a blast with the big waves we had on the day we went out. There was beach volleyball and horseshoes.
We did 2 excursions Chichen Itza and XPlor. Both very different but both awesome days. We did get a very cheap price on the excursions by visiting another resort and listening to their "join our club" 3 hour presentation. We got talked into this at the airport. Saved some money but wasted about 4 hrs. Beware! This has nothing to do with the resort,
All-in-all we had a fantastic vacation and would recommend this resort to others,

Room Tip: We were in room 8034, We could see the pool and the beach in the distance. It was super quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear, TataNovaS

First of all we would like to thank you for writing and choosing our Hotel and I would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the most importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

We hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Sincerely
Hotel manager
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

I'm writing this entry early because I'm so beyond annoyed I can't contain myself. Writing this is therapeutic for me. We haven't even finished our vacation yet! We're still here.

The resort is very nice. The room too. Very clean. The staff are lovely and friendly. Some early negatives such as not being able to use the spa dollars on a pedicure at THE SPA and only getting the 10% off discount at the boutique on CERTAIN items I could get past. The BIG negative I have to say regards the food.

I've never been to prison but I imagine the food there can't be much worse.

First, this is an all inclusive with a la carte restaurants and 2 buffets. We don't like buffets so we expected to eat at the a la cartes. Upon arrival we discovered our access to the a la carte restaurants was limited to 4 visits one per restaurant over the course of a week. We were not amused. We had not been told this in advance and if we had, we would not have booked this resort. Furthering my frustrations is that you cannot make reservations AND one of the a la cartes is closed nightly increasing the volume of people trying to get into the remaining three. It is clear to us, there is a specific intention to drive the heard to the 2 buffets.

The first night we waited 1 hour to be seated. We watched the hostess seat guests of 2 at tables set for 4 leaving tables for 2 empty and no tables for 4 left. This happened over and over each night. Evidently seating allocation is as complicated as quantum theory for Catalonia hostesses for clearly they can neither count nor assess their client need.

On the first night we ordered New York strips and got Rib Eyes-over cooked and full of fat. We tried to order and extra appetizer and got grief.

On day two my husband went to get lunch at the cafe by the pool. He wanted to bring it back to the lounge chair where we were sitting and the food police stopped him. In every resort we have ever been to you could not only eat by the pool, you could get served by the pool. Not here. The cafe food was horrible. Frozen pizza, hot dogs, fries and hamburgers. Yuck.

Day three, we woke up late and almost missed the forgettable breakfast buffet and because we were late we weren't hungry till later for lunch. Well at this Orwellian resort you eat when they want you to eat. We missed the lunch buffet and were relegated to the "hell no" cafe. Last night (my birthday btw) we went before the 6pm restaurant opening to the Japanese place only to be told we'd be waiting 1.5 hours to dine. WHAT?! Apparently they had groups if 12 in there who had prebooked. Blows the no reservations rule out if the water doesn't it?

Today we decided to try the a la carte breakfast figuring it would be better fare than the forgettable breakfast buffet. If canned hollandaise is your thing, this is the place for you.

Tonight we opted to try out the big dinner buffet only to find it closed because of a special dinner for Nolitours clients. So let me get this straight, the largest food venue available to all clients is closed to provide a private barbecue to a selected group?!!!!! Did I mention we upgraded to priority status?

So we were relegated to the forgettable breakfast buffet now transformed to the forgettable dinner buffet. Hear this, their idea of roast beef is to carve it into slices frozen and fry it. Yes, I am quite serious. You either got over cooked shoe leather or undercooked frozen meat. I'm gob-smacked.

Catalonia here me, food is EVERYTHING on a vacation. The average person eats 3 times a day. They want to eat when THEY want to eat not when YOU want them to and they want to eat palatable food. The food here and food service is APPALLING!! We will never ever come back.

• Stayed March 2014
catrivieramaya1, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply regret if your stay with us is not being a perfect vacation!

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations. Regarding your comments made of our restaurants, we offer a great variety of food which is prepared for our guests to enjoy, with different kinds of cuisine each night. Our meals are prepared with the best selection of quality products and ingredients. We are very sorry to not have met your expectations, we would love to meet you in our Concierge desks from 9am to 5pm or approach a Manager to pleased your needs and tastes, we would like to take action and help by finding a solution.

On the other hand, thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our staff members, who work to make you vacation experience as memorable as possible.

We will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Manager
Armstrong, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We had a great time. Service was great and the staff were all very respectful, helpful and . I loved the fact that it was in a gated community and we could walk all around and visit the shops and marina. Went to Tulum and Akumal on our own and either took a taxi or the local "bus" the collective! We were there during the Olympics and the staff opened the Sports Bar at 6am so a bunch of us could watch the gold medal hockey game. They brought in coffee, tea and juice as well as fresh baking and kept bringing in more chairs for us. One afternoon they were also having a staff beach volleyball game which I thought was great.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Gerente at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear, Wloree

Attentively
Hotel manager

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!