I'm writing this entry early because I'm so beyond annoyed I can't contain myself. Writing this is therapeutic for me. We haven't even finished our vacation yet! We're still here.
The resort is very nice. The room too. Very clean. The staff are lovely and friendly. Some early negatives such as not being able to use the spa dollars on a pedicure at THE SPA and only getting the 10% off discount at the boutique on CERTAIN items I could get past. The BIG negative I have to say regards the food.
I've never been to prison but I imagine the food there can't be much worse.
First, this is an all inclusive with a la carte restaurants and 2 buffets. We don't like buffets so we expected to eat at the a la cartes. Upon arrival we discovered our access to the a la carte restaurants was limited to 4 visits one per restaurant over the course of a week. We were not amused. We had not been told this in advance and if we had, we would not have booked this resort. Furthering my frustrations is that you cannot make reservations AND one of the a la cartes is closed nightly increasing the volume of people trying to get into the remaining three. It is clear to us, there is a specific intention to drive the heard to the 2 buffets.
The first night we waited 1 hour to be seated. We watched the hostess seat guests of 2 at tables set for 4 leaving tables for 2 empty and no tables for 4 left. This happened over and over each night. Evidently seating allocation is as complicated as quantum theory for Catalonia hostesses for clearly they can neither count nor assess their client need.
On the first night we ordered New York strips and got Rib Eyes-over cooked and full of fat. We tried to order and extra appetizer and got grief.
On day two my husband went to get lunch at the cafe by the pool. He wanted to bring it back to the lounge chair where we were sitting and the food police stopped him. In every resort we have ever been to you could not only eat by the pool, you could get served by the pool. Not here. The cafe food was horrible. Frozen pizza, hot dogs, fries and hamburgers. Yuck.
Day three, we woke up late and almost missed the forgettable breakfast buffet and because we were late we weren't hungry till later for lunch. Well at this Orwellian resort you eat when they want you to eat. We missed the lunch buffet and were relegated to the "hell no" cafe. Last night (my birthday btw) we went before the 6pm restaurant opening to the Japanese place only to be told we'd be waiting 1.5 hours to dine. WHAT?! Apparently they had groups if 12 in there who had prebooked. Blows the no reservations rule out if the water doesn't it?
Today we decided to try the a la carte breakfast figuring it would be better fare than the forgettable breakfast buffet. If canned hollandaise is your thing, this is the place for you.
Tonight we opted to try out the big dinner buffet only to find it closed because of a special dinner for Nolitours clients. So let me get this straight, the largest food venue available to all clients is closed to provide a private barbecue to a selected group?!!!!! Did I mention we upgraded to priority status?
So we were relegated to the forgettable breakfast buffet now transformed to the forgettable dinner buffet. Hear this, their idea of roast beef is to carve it into slices frozen and fry it. Yes, I am quite serious. You either got over cooked shoe leather or undercooked frozen meat. I'm gob-smacked.
Catalonia here me, food is EVERYTHING on a vacation. The average person eats 3 times a day. They want to eat when THEY want to eat not when YOU want them to and they want to eat palatable food. The food here and food service is APPALLING!! We will never ever come back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4 star Catalonia Yucatan Beach Resort & Spa is located in the heart of the Riviera Maya, on the private estate of Puerto Aventuras. Located on the beautiful Mexican Caribbean coast, this resort is directly on the beach and offers a comfortable and peaceful atmosphere, perfect for a relaxing break. This mystical area boasts many Mayan archaeological ruins that include Chichen Itza, Tulum and Tikal as well as the natural attractions of Xel-Ha, Cozumel and Xcaret. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Otel and TripOnline SA so you can book your Catalonia Yucatan Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Riviera Maya/Puerto Aventuras, Mexico