Room 4150 BED BUGS! We stayed at this resort with 13 other wedding guests for a week. Our bride and groom were not given an ocean view room though they paid extra for it and were not moved for 6 days into one that provided a better view. That night they moved they awoke in the middle of the night covered in bites and brought a water bottle with many of the little bugs to the front desk. They were immediately moved and are being compensated with free services and extras but please beware and be advised that if one room here has bed bugs that there are likely many others that do as well with sheets being shared after laundering. Our room was bed bug free fortunately but right beside the bar and a tad noisy until late in the night. One night at 4:10 am there was someone using either a grinder or tile cutter right outside our bedroom door. I do not feel that this is the best time to do reno's. We opened the door and asked him to stop and called the front desk as well. They advised that no one should be working in that area and shortly after that the man was gone. The system for the resturants is terrible, the worst I have seen thus far. Having a reservation desk like most other places would work much MUCH better. We stayed at a two star resort previously that had better organization than this resort for resturant reservations. Four floors and no elevators working. On the wedding day the photographer got a great workout of climbing up and down 388 stairs but not so good for the mother in law to be who had trouble with them and couldn't make it upstairs to see the bride and groom before the ceramony. I am a very easy going person who normally has only good things to say but I feel we really should be honest with the problems that happened while staying at this supposed 4.5 star resort.
Besides the above obvious problems there was good along with the bad. The drinks and food were very good. Loved the Italian, Japanese and Mexican resturants! Delicious food and always something I wanted seconds of. The scuba/dive team is amazing and so much fun! We signed up for lessons and a dive for 129.00 usd which was def worth it and amazing. Snorkeling in the lagoon and off the beach is very good! I saw an octopus in the lagoon, many baby baracuda's along with a couple adults, star fish, hermit crabs, sea cucumbers and tons of fish. The resorts redeaming factor may be it's great snorkling and water activities. Many pools and swim up bars to lounge at as well as great service in the bars and resturants.
The marina is so close and a great walk down the street with many beautiful condos and homes to admire on the way. We did some shopping but found the prices to be quite expensive. A small bottle of vanilla was selling for 8.00 at the marina and a HUGE bottle at duty free on the way through the airport home was 6.50 ... def go to Playa Del Carmen or wait till you are leaving at shops at the airport to buy your gifts. There are TONS of shops both at Playa Del Carmen and the airport to take advantage of and get the best bang for your buck. NOTE: Do not take the "free" shuttle from the resort to Playa Del Carmen unless you feel like going to the Jewellery factory for two hours and being pressured into buying over priced items. Get a private taxi for 35.00 dollars (not pesos) each way instead.
Never been to Xel-ha ... DO IT! Beautiful and amazing day with so many things to do and only a half hour drive from the resort.
All and all we did enjoy our trip and tried not to let the bad ruin the good but we def will not be returning nor recommending this resort to others. There has to be better than this in the area and upon returning, which we will as this area is FABULOUS, we will be staying elsewhere.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Hotel
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Riviera Maya/Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4 star Catalonia Yucatan Beach Resort & Spa is located in the heart of the Riviera Maya, on the private estate of Puerto Aventuras. Located on the beautiful Mexican Caribbean coast, this resort is directly on the beach and offers a comfortable and peaceful atmosphere, perfect for a relaxing break. This mystical area boasts many Mayan archaeological ruins that include Chichen Itza, Tulum and Tikal as well as the natural attractions of Xel-Ha, Cozumel and Xcaret. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Otel so you can book your Catalonia Yucatan Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.