Just got back from this vacation less than a week ago. Missing it already! Overall a good resort and vacation, with a few minor hiccups. Here goes:
Smaller resort (which I liked) everything is compact and easy to find and locate. I recommend the upgrading option. We had a lovely ocean view room with champagne, tequila and a little cake as a nice welcome. The upgrading "privileged" option also gives an extra a lacarte dinner access to the tapas restaurant which we took advantage of and loved.
The food overall I found to be perfectly fine, mind you I'm not a picky eater, but even the pickiest could find something for breakfast lunch and dinner. Fresh omelettes and fruit every morning and very good coffee! We tried the Mexican, Italian, Japanese and tapas a la cartes and as many reviewers write, the Japanese is by far the best. We throughly enjoyed every meal though, and weren't ill whatsoever.
Its true what others have said, the beach is extremely rocky! So enter with caution! Once you are in the ocean be sure to try some snorkelling as there are many beautiful colourful fish to see 20 feet off the beach! One of the highlights of the trip for sure.
We swam with dolphins at the dolphinaris which is a truly amazing experience, although the photos are a ripoff! We also went to Cozumel for a day and rented mop heads which was awesome. The Thursday evening of our trip we tried out coco bongos in playa del carmen for the night. I highly recommend coco bongos as it was the most fascinating show/disco I've ever seen!
This resort is located in Puerto Adventures which is a gated community. I had no idea it would be in this gated community until arriving and absolutely loved that we were. Not only did it make me feel safer, you could leave the resort and rent bikes, or take a quick walk down to the marina which features beautiful yachts and boats to look at, people watching and great shops and restaurants. the marina also has a dolphin discovery (this is not where we did our dolphin swim) where you can freely watch them swim and shows they have going on.
The only downfalls (and they are minor) about this trip was the weather was iffy at times. Night time cooled right down, where a sweater or coat was needed a couple of nights. Some overcast and rainy days as well but thats the risk you take travelling in January I suppose! It was annoying that one had to be up at 6 am to reserve a beach lounger at both the pool and beach, but thats with any resort. Lastly, the a la carte dinner reservation issue is misleading and unclear. They tell you at the beginning of the trip that no restaurant takes reservations and it is first come serve. So, when you go to dinner at 6 or 7, you may expect to wait a bit but not get turned away! (Which happened one night) the best advice is to either eat very early every night (5pm) or, go at 5pm sharp and book a reservation for later in the evening (even though, they apparently don't take reservations.) lastly, if there is any weddings going on, the tapas places closes for the reception.
Overall though, a fabulous vacation and a good resort. Well worth the money. :) thanks for the great memories and good times I will never forget!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4 star Catalonia Yucatan Beach Resort & Spa is located in the heart of the Riviera Maya, on the private estate of Puerto Aventuras. Located on the beautiful Mexican Caribbean coast, this resort is directly on the beach and offers a comfortable and peaceful atmosphere, perfect for a relaxing break. This mystical area boasts many Mayan archaeological ruins that include Chichen Itza, Tulum and Tikal as well as the natural attractions of Xel-Ha, Cozumel and Xcaret. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Otel and TripOnline SA so you can book your Catalonia Yucatan Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Riviera Maya/Puerto Aventuras, Mexico