“A resort that truly cares” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Yucatan Beach

You added Catalonia Yucatan Beach to your Saves list
Catalonia Yucatan Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 MZ, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Toronto, Canada
“A resort that truly cares”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We just returned from a one week stay at the Catalonia Yucatan. We had some issues on the first day with our bathroom flooding and the door lock shorting out and needing to be replaced. Having said that, I have to admit that the hotel responded quickly to resolve the issues we had and fix them permenantly. We were offered a change of room but we were in the room beside our friends and didn't want to move. I have to say that even though we had a rough start, we really enjoyed our stay at the Catalonia Yucatan. The service is absolutely great, the resort is spotless clean and we found the food to be excellent. We tried all the restaurant except for the Italian because it was closed on the night we wanted to go, so we went to the Tapas Lounge instead. The food from presentation to taste to service was absolutely excellent. Well worth the $15 charge. We did not upgrade because we were a group of 6 and some of our group did not want to pay the extra, but I believe that the upgrade is worth the money. All in all, a great experience at this hotel. The only drawback is the rocky beach but it can be negotiated with water shoes and the snorkelling is great. If you are considering this resort, I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Definately take the upraded room. If you do not take the upgrade stay away from the rooms 1151, 215...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We just returned from a week at this resort and we loved it! Catalonia Yucatan Beach and Catalonia Riviera Maya are more than sister resorts, when you book into one, you can use everything at both. We booked the Yucatan Beach and upgraded to a Privileged Room (which I highly recommend), and it turned out that our room was on the Riviera Maya side.

What can I say about this place? It is spotlessly clean, the service is excellent, the entertainment is energetic and fun, the food is delicious – it is the only place we’ve been to that we can’t wait to get back. There’s free wifi throughout the resort (if you want that sort of thing while you’re on vacation), an amazing spa, 5 pools, 5 a la carte’s, and the most charming, helpful and hard-working staff that I’ve ever met. Once they get to know you, they bring you your drinks without asking, and there’s even a waitress at the beach! Luxury.

The beach is separated into three areas – all beautiful sand, however getting into the water at two of these areas is a bit tricky (you need water shoes). The third is a sheltered lagoon which is completely sandy. This place is a snorkeler’s paradise, and the water sports shop has tons of masks, snorkels and fins, so there’s no waiting. There are lots and lots of lounge chairs and palapas, but it was hard to find shade in the afternoon, so you have to get a shaded area first thing in the morning.

We missed out on the Italian restaurant (it was closed the night we went), and didn’t bother with the Mexican restaurant, but we went to the Japanese one twice (such fun and delicious!), the Steak Grill twice (delicious!), and the Terrace Tapas (free with the upgrade), which was lovely, scenic and tasty. One buffet restaurant is open-air and one is air-conditioned, so there’s lots of choice. The renovations above the open-air buffet were a bit noisy, but nothing too bad.

I do recommend the upgrade - the room was incredible, king-sized bed, flat screen tv, robes, slippers, turn-down service, a mini-bar restocked every day, a 100% marble bathroom with a HUGE walk-in shower that I wanted to take home – also you get free internet, free time at the spa, premium seating at the buffet. It was a real treat and didn’t cost that much more. I know one reviewer wrote that this wasn’t the fanciest resort in the area, but they must not have seen the Privileged rooms or the Spa – pure luxury.

As I said, we’ll definitely come back. There was not one thing negative that I can say about this place, except that we couldn’t find our TV remote control (we turned it on twice, so who cares) and the need for water shoes at the beach (a small price to pay for a snorkeler’s paradise). If you are looking for a fun, clean, happy place to spend a week, this is it!

Room Tip: We were in building 12 - close to the theatre, but we never noticed the noise, and a bit of a walk t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ucluelet, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed the hotel. All the staff was great except the bike rental man Raul. He accused my fiancé for damaging an already damaged bike. Before we left to go ride , we inspected bike and showed him that it wasn't in good condition , but he wouldn't let us rent a different bike. We got it straightened out but he was really rude. Other than that food was great pools were great. Not overcrowded! Beach was nice , except not enough beach chairs.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I've now been to this resort a handful of times and it continues to not disapppoint.

Luv the layout. The property is easy to navigate and everything is within a few minutes walk.

I found the food to be even better than I remembered. Really enjoyed the Italian Restaurant this time around.

All of the standard rooms on the Yucatan side have a pool view. I believe most of beds have been replaced since my last visit, hence I slept comfortably. Room complete with flat screen TV and AC that worked well.

A special thank you to the hotel Guest Services to which I had emailed a few weeks prior to my arrival for a special room request due to medical reasons. They replied that although they could not guarantee I would get what I requested they would at least try within their powers to accommodate me. And yes, to my pleasant surprize I did receive what I needed room wise to make my stay enjoyable.

This hotel is definitely not the fanciest hotel on the Rivieria but it certainly provides very good value for the money spent. Free WiFi throughout the hotel grounds was a big plus!!!! I can honestly say that my week here was comfortable and worry free. All my needs were taken care of and not once did a thought enter my mind about "oh I wish they did this.. or did that"

I will be returning very soon!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Paisley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Had a holiday at this hotel .Unfortunately during the course of our stay we had a few issues we were allocated a room with a super kingsize bed which looked fine initially.The floor seemed a bit damp but we thought it was because of the heavy rain,after a couple of days every bit of clothing we had felt damp an musty also the bed was damp and the floor constantly wet.We went down to breakfast one morning and it started to rain returning to our room 1hour later the ceiling and walls were covered in black fungus!!Reception said what else could we expect it was the rainy season but did offer us another room which was next door and dry not damp,As soon as we moved out the painter was in painting over the black fungus the room was aired and cleaned and more guests allocated it during the course of the rest of our holiday that particular room was repainted 4 times and had guests put in again.Our holiday was ruined because every single piece of clothing we had was damp and left smelling musty not very pleasant.The hotel did give a visit to the spa in the way of an apology but it didnt help the clothes situation.This dampness problem needs to be addressed as a room should not need painted 4 times in eight days.The bar ran out of Baileys for two days also ther were no mojitos one evening and all the next days on more than one occasion there was no chocolate to make mudslides and the restaurant ran out of rose wine which was not available for 5days ,The sports bar had no draught beer or air conditioning for the second week of our holiday not really acceptable .We found there was only the lobby bar and an outside Tequila bar to sit in the evening this hotel really needs acomfotable lounge of some sort with air conditioning that works.There are some builing works in progress which did not disturb us they are rebuiling the Pure Chill out bar so hopefully this will help.Apart from these issues the rest of the holiday was good the food was nice and choice of restaurants was nice we particulary enjoyed the Steakhouse and the Japenese also the Creperie serves great crepes deserts and milk shakes a nice touch
In general the hotel need some TLC and the rooms need some attention as they are quite tatty we did not upgrade but feel for the price we paid for our holiday the rooms were very shabby.This was our 4th trip to Mexico. Would we return to this hotel ?No which is a shame because the staff are are so pleasant and helpful each and everyone of them always smiling they are an asset to this otherwise disappointing hotel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Before chosing Catalonia Yucatan, I was pretty specific about the type of resort I was looking for because I would be travelling alone with my 5 yr old Daughter.
My travel agent with TravelPlus in Lindsay highly recommended the CAT. All the previous families she had refered this propery, really enjoyed it.
We went down with Nolitours and AirTransat all without a glitch.

I always arrange private transfer because I cant stand the wait on that bus and the slow pokes that finally make their way. This time we used Canada Transfers. Real Pros!!!

Because we were first at the resort and it was real late in the afternoon, we were given our room (156) right away and were in the pool in less than 1/2 hr. Our room was wonderful, comfortable and clean. It could get a little loud some nights because we were just below the live entertainment. But it never did wake my daughter up and if I turned the TV up a bit, I couldn't even hear the noise.
Grounds and property are spotless. Staff all over the place, always active cleaning something.

The food was more than acceptable as well. Although I did prefer the a la cartes over the buffett, which I normally isn't the case. We at at the Mexican, steak house and Japanese. All totally excellent. And fantastic service.

I never at any point found the bars to be that busy where you had to wait too long for a drink. The bartenders are there to make drinks, and they know that. Some resorts the attitude can be diferent. All in all, the bartenders were friendly and worked very hard. I would watch them in the morning, taking at least 2 hrs each day setting and cleaning up the area before they opened.

And yes there was construction going on to the roof of the outdoor buffett. It is considered the slower season and the work needs to get done. Although I could hear it at times, it never really bothered me, and at no point did I ever consider approaching management to compensate me for such a minor distraction.

To top it off!!
I have fallen in love with Catalonia Yucatan/Riviera and yes the resort is pretty, but what makes this resort so special, the Staff.
Sharon and Ita in the kids club made my daughter feel like a little Mayan Princess. Two ladies that take their job very seriously and it shows.
The entertainment staff is a real class act too. They are not over bearing but provide lots of fun if your interested.
And although most of the programs are geared toward the adults, entertaiment expert Olga came looking for my daughter and envolved her when ever she could. And in my opinion, way over and above what she has been hired to do.

Thank you to all the Staff and Management at the Catalonia for making my special holiday with my baby girl, totally flawless!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I research and read a lot of reviews so I wanted to share my experience with you.
I just came back less than 24h ago.
The Resort was awesome, people are friendly, place is clean, food is tasty !!!
Yes there is always some little thing that we can criticize but really its small things...bring water shoes to swim in the rocky area if not stay in the sandy area! Buffet is relatively small but plenty for my appetite and good variety. The drinks were great and yes I got tipsy so there was enough alcohol.
my room was facing the pool it was not to noisy as i slept with the door closed and the a/c on
I will recommend this resort and hopefully go back

Room Tip: no need to upgrade unless you want to
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!