“AWESOME VACATION!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Yucatan Beach

You added Catalonia Yucatan Beach to your Saves list
Catalonia Yucatan Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 MZ, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Toronto, Canada
“AWESOME VACATION!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This resort is kind of partnered up with the Catalonia Riviera Maya, as they share many of the same facilities, so I will be posting this exact review for both resorts. I had booked the Priviliged package at the Catalonia Yucatan, checked in at the lobby in the Catalonia Yucatan, but my room was situated on the Catalonia Riviera Maya side. With the Privileged package, I was able to use the computer, for free, in the special Privilege hut located on the Riviera Maya side near the pool. There was even a fridge filled with beverages and fruit. It was really nice.

ROOM: The room was beautiful!! As I said, I upgraded to the Privileged package. Upon arrival in the room, there was a huge bottle of tequila, a mini flashlight keychain, a bag of chips, a bag of peanuts, a welcome letter, bottles of water, and a fridge fully stocked with soft drinks, water, and beer. The room was clean, the bathroom was all marble and beautiful, lots of towels, and toiletry items. The closet was big and there were lots of hangers, as well as 2 robes. There were 2 beach towels waiting for me in the room, also. I was in building 1, in room 1024. It backed onto the building beside it, and I had a view of the ramp leading up to the Riviera Maya lobby. The resort is not super huge, but big enough that everyone was spaced out around the resort. My room was close to the pools and buffet on the Riviera Maya side.

POOLS: The pools were beautiful. There were 3 on the Riviera Maya side: one smaller one with a swim up bar, called Margaritas, another smaller pool where water sports like volleyball were played, and a larger one where the Animacion staff held many of their activities, and where they did scuba diving in the pool. I spent most of my time at these pools, and loved them. During my last day there I spent the entire afternoon bartending at the Margaritas swim up bar, and it was awesome. The bartenders were so cool, and their manager was so amazing for letting me bartend!! The pools on the Yucatan side were beautiful, but I didn't swim in them. The bar on the Yucatan side is called Tequila, and the bartenders there were good too. There were always empty loungers available throughout the day.

BEACH: I didn't spend much time at the beach, but it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Yes there are rocks in it, but it's swimmable still. There's a neat lagoon kind of area where there are tons of cool fish to look at. I went snorkelling there on my last day first thing in the morning, and it was really neat. There were plenty of loungers at all times of the day. The beach bar was awesome, and all of the bartenders were very helpful. It was located on the Yucatan side.

FOOD: The buffet restaurant, Las Brisas, was really good. It was on the Riviera Maya side. I loved the pasta, and there were all kinds of awesome pastries for breakfast. The omelettes were really good, as was everything else. The buffet restaurant on the Yucatan side was called El Mercado, but I never ate there. The a la carte restaurants were amazing, and all of the staff were wonderful. I ate at the Italian restaurant, the steakhouse, and twice at the Japanese restaurant. You don't have to make reservations, you just show up (even though Joel did make reservations for us at 2 of the restaurants, which I will mention in the staff section), which is good because you can eat at the same restaurant more than once if you really liked it. The first night I went to the Japanese restaurant, I forgot my ticket that you have to give the staff, and they said it was fine, and that I could bring it to them another time. The Japanese restaurant was soooo good, I definitely recommend it!! The creperie was amazing. It's located on the roof of the Las Brisas buffet restaurant. They serve crepes, milkshakes, ice cream, fancy coffees and things like that. They even made a crepe for me that wasn't on the menu, just because I asked for it. For lunch, I ate at the grill/snack bar, which was located in the Bomboleo steakhouse. (it was a steakhouse at night, and beach/pool grill during the day, so you could wander in wearing your bathing suit for lunch). The food there was so good, and they had the best popcorn!!!!!

STAFF: THE STAFF WERE AMAZING!!! I want to say thank you to everyone who made my trip so memorable....Joel was so awesome, he let me work behind the Margaritas bar 3 different days, and even made reservations for my mom and I at the Bomboleo (steakhouse), and the Mikado (Japanese). The Animacion staff were awesome, especially Hugo!! Hugo was hilarious, and made my trip memorable. Pita, Mauricio, Jovani, and Sue were also awesome, and I had so much fun competing in the pool olympics. Armando the bartender was great, and went out of his way to make sure my mom and I were taken care of. He would come all the way over to where we were sitting, get our cups (we brought our own), fill them up for us, and bring them all the way back to us, when this isn't even what he was supposed to be doing. Gregorio at the Margaritas swim up bar was great, he let me work behind the bar with him and his partner, and was a lot of fun. Sophie at the Spa was so nice and friendly, and gave me a great discount when I booked my massage. Luis and Arturo gave us great service at Las Brisas, the buffet restaurant on the Riviera Maya side on our first night. They brought flowers to our table, and kept bringing us random drinks that we didn't order, but appreciated. They even made a special table for us, and sent other staff over to help us relocate to our new table, which was decorated with flowers and had a message spelled out in coffee beans. It was so nice, and we loved it. Thank you to everyone for the memorable trip!!

SPA: I booked a massage, and also got to use all of the other facilities at the spa, such as the aromatherapy pool, which was so beautiful, the sauna, steam room, and cold pool. There were snacks, and beverages there, and I received a glass of champagne after my massage. The spa was so beautiful, and the staff were very friendly. I highly recommend going for some sort of treatment!

I'm sure there many things I've left out, but feel free to message me for more details. I have nothing but good things to say about this resort, and had a great experience. I will definitely be returning to this resort!!!! I have a ton of pictures of the resort, but I put them all on Facebook, so if anyone is interested in seeing any pictures let me know.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Skydive2327,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments.
It is great to know that you had a great time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and the staff, our main goal is to help you in order to make your stay enjoyable and memorable.
We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!
Hotel manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Polish first
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Me and my wife went here for our honeymoon. We had a wonderful time, the staff is very friendly, the several restaurants in the hotel have very good food.
This complex is very near playa del carmen, so you can simply take a taxi and go there.
The staff is always ready to help you with a smile on their faces.
The hotel had a lot of entertainment at night and featured a full day of activities if you wanted
The weaker point of the hotel is the buffet, after four days you will have tried everything.

Room Tip: don't stay on the ground floor if you are afraid of iguanas
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear cybertmfer,
It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.
Yours sincerely
Cambridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

It was the best service I have ever had. It really was not the ideal time to Ougo to a Caribbean location but the scenery was of course amazing, the room was very well maintained. My boyfriend and I were in A 200's and it smelled great. Our friends were on the main floor, level from the pool close to "Merchardo" and it smelled and felt musty. We also met a couple who were non-smokers had a room previously occupied by a chain smoker. They said it was horrible. The waitstaff in the buffets were phenomenal. You no more than looked like you might be done drinking and it was refilled by a smiling server. The food was consistently fresh and good. Except the guacamole. This tasted and looked like it had preservatives, SALTY. Guacamole does not stay green without turning grey without it. The bar staff in the pools weren't so friendly. Some times they were but mostly you were an order. I AM NOT MUCH OF A DRINKER SO IT IS NOT AS IF I HAD PREVIOUSLY ACTED LIKE AN IDIOT IN FRONT OF THEM. There was no water in the machines in morning. We lost some items and they were quickly recovered, with an itemized list on our recovery bag to ensure that not item went "missing". Great accountability ! The housekeeping staff was efficient and whimsical, they put smiley face on my deodorant!! The beaches stunning. We sailed on a catamaran, exhilarating ride. I whooped and laughed so loud that the "driver" thought I was drunk, my boyfriend explained that I was like a little with water and waves. We went to the Koba and Talum pyramids. Koba was better because you had shade on the trails and climbing to the top of the pyramid was unforgettable. Talum was great, bring a bathing suit for the beach and an umbrella for shade as you are walking. We took the" collectivo" and it was very easy. Talum was 50 pesos/ person and Koba was cost of talum plus another 50 to koba. You need to negotiate with a cab to take you back or wait for a "colectivo" come. This last one does not come regularly because of the more isolated location. The venders at the hotel, look to see if it is real silver, offer half of what they are asking and start to leave if they don't get close to the half. If you don't agree then, the next night it will still be there and there is a good chance that the vender will offer the better price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Curetak M,
We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.
It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.
I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I along with three of our friends just came back from Mexico last Saturday. We had a great time at the resort. The rooms were spacious and we had a great maid that always kept our room clean and tidy. We would always come back to our room with clean towels whether we had asked for them to be changed or not. The grounds were kept very well.

For the most part, a la carts were very good as well. There were a couple times that there weren’t any open tables for the 5 of us so two of our friends were seated at another table. We found that their meals always took longer then ours as their dishes always came out later although they were seated before us. There were a few occasions that we had to wait an hour to an hour and a half to get a table. I think reservations should be made at the beginning of the stay like some other resorts so it eliminates the long wait or the splitting of tables. I wasn’t too big a fan of the buffet however. I think it needs more variety.

The hotel staff was very helpful and always said hi when we passed by. I did get a little annoyed at one of the tour staff who gave us attitude when we asked if she knew where the other spa that was in the complex was. She looked so annoyed that we didn’t book with the Hotel spa.

Other than that, everything was very good. We had a great time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear vinin,

Victoria Harbour, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My daughter and I just returned from the Catalonia Yucatan and we wish we were still there! We were lucky enough to have fantastic weather all week. The staff at this hotel are just awesome! They are so friendly and are always smiling. I can't say enough good things about them and the great service they provide. I was hesitant to come here because of the reviews I read about the beach (I'm a beach person), BUT I"M SO GLAD WE WENT. It didn't even matter about the beach because we were having such a good time at the pool. The hotel is very clean and the grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The food at the a la cartes was yummy. The animation staff work hard to ensure everyone has a good time, but they are not pushy. We upgraded to Priveleged and it was so worth it. The room was big and the bed was comfy. Always had plenty of hot water and lots of towels. There was a BIG bottle of tequila In our rooms on arrival, and our last night there was a bottle of champagne chilling in our rooms. Turn down service was also included. There was always stuff to do if you wanted to. We like to tip as it is always appreciated, but I didn't think the staff gave any less service to those who didn't. They just want you to enjoy your holiday. Nightly entertainment was also good, better than most. I have been to the Mayan Riviera five times and I have to say I had the most fun at this hotel. It operates like a 5 star hotel for a 3 star price. If you still have reservations, don't worry and JUST GO! Trust me, you won't be disappointed! Miss it already. We will definitely return.

Jayne & Danielle
Stayed at the Catalonia Yucatan
June 9 - 16, 2013

Room Tip: Upgrade to Privileged. Worth it for the few extra bucks.
Dear Jayne K,
It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and staff.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I liked all of the food, services, but the thing I hated was the beach. People were smoking everywhere and there were lots of rocks. Beaches are unpleasant with smoking included. Also, we had to go fetch the staff every few days because they kept forgetting to clean our room..There was no conditioner in our bathroom.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear lovedog28,
Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience.

Pickering, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband, my son and I visited Catalonia for a week. Unfortunately, we didn’t have the best weather (was raining a lot), but our stay was still enjoyable. I would like to highlight the positives of our experience: the nightly entertainment is AWESOME, I would call it the most powerful hotel’s asset. At the theater they offer daily shows; we assisted to the Mexican spectacle, the nightmare show and another featuring imitations of well known pop artists. I highly recommend all of them!
Drinks are tasty and very well made, (I recommend “Mosquito martini” at “El abuelo” bar).
Buffet restaurants are OK nothing really special, but breakfast are good, specially at “Las Brisas”.
A la carte restaurants are nice and elegant, as a couple we really felt on a date every time. Mexican is good, Italian was ok, but we really enjoyed the one offering steak (I can’t remember the name, but it takes place at the Bamboleo). We also saw the creperie, but it was closed every night we wanted to try, so I can’t say how good crepes are.
Beach is small, but has lots of chairs and “palapas”, there’s a small lagoon with shallow waters, which is very safe for children. Careful with the rocks at the ocean, they are slimy and VERY slippery.
What I have to say about the staff is bittersweet; people at front desk are nice, polite and made us feel very welcome. We are Mexican living in Canada for more than 15 years, therefore we are more than excited to visit our country and talk to our people. We are hungry for Mexican camaraderie, I say this to better explain our feelings when we felt ignored.
We would be sitting at the beach while those wonderful entertainers would come to invite people to different activities; archery, ping pong... We would be skipped. No invitations for us. The only person who kept coming and talking to us was a cute little girl named Carmen. She invited my son (who is 19) to whatever she was organizing.
At the restaurants we had excellent servers and we had horrible servers. We could appreciate how well they attended to foreign looking people (which is perfectly fine, but we were paying guests as well). At the Italian restaurant, we had a bad experience, besides the hostess nobody talked to us. Servers were mute, not a “Good night” not a smile, nothing. They came to take the order in silence and treated us like we were bothersome. Meanwhile they were laughing with other guests and running to serve them. Bottom line, I am a tipper, I tip every single time I ask for a drink at the bar, but sadly I report we felt so disrespected that for the first time in my life I didn’t tip. Italian restaurant servers didn’t earn it.
In the other hand, the servers at the Mexican were really good and friendly, most of the bartenders were good as well.

Overall experience: good but can be better.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Jessica W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us. Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

We sincerely regret the wrong impression that you received from our staff, which is composed by professional and mature people who have a long experience in their job and make always their best effort to help you have a memorable vacation.

We are therefore very concerned for your comments, as it is obvious that you did not receive the level of service you were expecting from us. Be sure that all your comments have been forwarded to the persons responsible for the departments involved and that the appropriate corrective and preventive measures will be taken in order to ensure that situations like these do not happen in the future and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Hotel Manager

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!