“Great week away” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Yucatan Beach

You added Catalonia Yucatan Beach to your Saves list
Catalonia Yucatan Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 MZ, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great week away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Great hotel and amenities
We stayed for a week from 27.04.13 and once we had upgraded it was a fantastic holiday.
Great staff, they could not do enough for you (Pablo from la terraza was excellent).
Great location but a week was not long enough.
Don't take pessos take USD
Look forward to going again, BUT...........................

DO NOT book with Thomas Cook, flights/service and experience was very poor

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Pawsonjp,
We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our staff members, who work to make you vacation experience as memorable as possible.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this lovely resort from February 1-8, 2013.

We booked this as a last minute trip through Nolitours, and were quite impressed with the entire resort. After reading the room descriptions, we decided ahead of time to book a Privilege Room, and once we arrived, asked to be upgraded to a suite - a choice that was, in our opinion, well worth the extra few dollars. The room was beautiful, and it was great to have the two rooms as my husband was unwell with a flu the first few days. I could come and go, read or do what I pleased in the living room without worrying about disturbing him. We also appreciated the extra amenities - the safe, coffee maker and the outdoor tub (which was used nearly every day to relax and enjoy the early evening). I also liked the layout of the resort. Everything was a short walk away from our room, and while busy, we never found any long line ups or had trouble getting loungers by the pool.

I would highly recommend the spa! Lovely decor, and very restful. We had a couples massage, I went for a pedicure and we took advantage of the free session in the steam rooms. One thing to note. While beautiful, the larger spa pool is freezing!! Thy fitness center was at a par with other resorts I have stayed at, basic machinery, all in good working order.

We tried all of the restaurants - the Japanese and Italian were out favorites (but all were enjoyed). Overall, we found every staff member to be friendly, courteous and helpful. Our room was kept in immaculate condition, and the couple of little glitches were dealt with immediately. We also got to know the staff ing the Privelege section of Los Brisas and enjoyed chatting with them every day.

We walked along the beach a few times - it is rocky, so we made sure to tread carefully. Not the best for swimming, but still enjoyed by both of us (especially seeing the wide variety of fish around the rocks).

The day before we left, I had a bad fall on some steps by the pool bar. Not the fault of the resort, or mine (it was morning and I was getting some lemonade) - just pure bad luck. I cannot say enough about the excellent treatment I received. I remember the staff getting me a pillow as a towel, the restaurant manager holding up a large towel to give me some shade and privacy, the the lifeguard helping me to the clinic. Dr. Yuri was an excellent doctor - made sure I was as comfortable as possible and prescribed medication for pain and swelling. Afterwards, several staff made sure I was comfortable at all times - bringing glass after glass of my favorite drink (lemonade) and stopping by to see how I was doing. When my husband and I met with the manager, I recognized her immediately - she was one of e people helping me by the stairs. I was impressed by the fact that the hotel staff were already researching ways to avoid another accident happening (like scoring the concrete amount other options). The staff at nolitours ensured that we had a seat that would be as comfortable as possible for me and a wheelchair available when I got back home.

I would recommend this resort to anyone. You will be treated well, and like myself, will look forward to returning!

Room Tip: I did not see the standard rooms so can speak to their quality. Would highly recommend the suite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WinnipegKarenGW,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments.
It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.
We are very sorry about your fall, our guests' safety and comfort are our main concern, you can be certain that we appreciate comments like yours that help us achieve this goal.
We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!
Sincerely
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We made a mistake in booking our holiday as it was spring break.The first week of our fortnight we were in the Yucatan side, rooms 1143 + 1132 but these were so noisy we had to upgraded for the next week to the Maya side.One of the problems was there is a night club at the Yucatan & a bar at the Maya both which close at 2am so guests going back to their rooms from one side to the other had to walk noisily past our ground floor rooms or continue to party around the pool at 3am,also there is a service road at the back of the rooms & the first delivery could be 5.30am. We know that the rooms are only really for sleeping but they are very tired & need updating & for a hotel claiming to be a 4 star in this day & age why do you have to pay for the safe, have no coffee/tea facilities & no fridge.The other main downside was that the sun beds are around the pool with very few umbrellas or on the very narrow beach crammed together, one previous reviewer stated it was the best beach they had ever been on, no way!. Any how the 2nd week were in the Maya side my room above the Japanese restaurant,lovely room with free safe,fridge,coffee machine & fan, not happy at having to upgrade but well worth it. The buffet restaurants have a good selection of food, the Italian was a disappointment , Mexican good fun , the New York steak in the the grill excellent, the Creperie lovely on a warm evening & the Tapas very good.The beach was a disappointment but the sea & lagoon excellent for a novice snorkeler like me colourful fish which you can hand feed but be careful of a shoal of larger fish near the stepping stone which have small raspy teeth & can nip.The amenities of the hotel are very good we used the canoes, bikes & archery, the animation team work are good,work very hard even if one or two are slightly mad.The main plus of the hotel is that it is in a very safe complex big enough to have a golf course,hotels, very large marina condos etc.Take a short stroll or bike ride to the marina and have a beer watching the dolphins play, the fishing boats or listen to live bands playing.We did swim with the dolphins see another review.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms in the Yucatan can be noisy they will move you if asked
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Broggy57,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

Regarding your comments made on our restaurants, we offer a great variety of food which is prepared for our guests to enjoy, with different kinds of cuisine each night. Our meals are prepared with the best selection of quality products and ingredients. We are very sorry to not have met your expectations, and that this was not mentioned to one of our staff members during your visit, so we could of take action and help find a solution.

On the other hand, thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our staff members, who work to make you vacation experience as memorable as possible.

We will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Wow, me and my boyfriend went for two weeks in April just gone! And it's safe to say I've cried every day I've been back! The resort was huge! Staff were so friendly, the literally could not do enough for us! The cleaners, wow they never stopped as soon as we left our room they're be on top of it straight away filling out fridge, making our massive bed! Folding our towels into animal shapes! Now the food the was so much to choose from! The only thing that let it down was the birds getting in and stealing the food which wasn't the hotels fault as there was to many of them to control but they do there best, apart from that the buffet and restaurants were perfect! We especially liked the steak house (bomb olio) all restaurants are included in the all inclusive! Over all we had a brilliant time, constant entertainment, beautiful hotel and sea views, tasty food, non stop cocktails and beverages, huge pools, paradise! Would recommend this place to everyone! We will certainly be visiting Mexico again one day! Enjoy.

• Stayed April 2013
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Naomi2113

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

There is not one thing bad I can say about this hotel. We spent a week and everything was just perfect. The food is exceptional, the staff are so friendly, the resort was kept very clean, and our rooms were great. The beach is a little rocky getting into the water so I suggest you bring water shoes. The lagoon area has a few different fish in there for the snorkeler.
We would take the shuttle bus down to Akumel beach (10 minutes in the shuttle going toward Tulum) cost you 25 pesos which is 2.50 per person. If you go in the morning you will find lots of sea turtles, squid, permit fish, and sting rays. The beach has snorkel rentals there and it's very safe to leave your stuff on the beach. From the road way you have about a 7 min walk down a road way to the beach. They have small grocery stores there so if you want to buy cold drinks, food but it there as the restaurants are the beach are expensive.

I am looking forward to going back as we liked it that much. Puerto Aventuras is a small community with 3 hotels and a huge FREE dolphine aquarium in it. Everything was just excellent!!!

Room Tip: IF you like more quiet then request the Yucatan side rather than the maya side.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear srsk,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and our facilities.
We feel very proud and glad to hear such nice comments from our guests.

We definitely hope to see you again soon; it will be our pleasure to welcome once again!

Hotel manager
oshawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This was by far the best resort I've been to and would go back in a heartbeat. The staff are all extremely friendly and helpful. The food was amazing - so many choices and everything is delicious. They have different styles of resturants located on the resort so you can japanese, italian and other great cultural foods or just pop in to their buffet where you will be taken care of. They also have a creperie and have the best peanut butter crepe I have ever had with milkshakes!! The resort is very large and the beach is beautiful. There was no shortage of space when going down to the beach and we always grabbed a chair. The drinks were so good and the bartenders make great mojitos! The activities offered a fun and interactive and they have a kids club so if you're bringing kids with you they can do fun activities with a group of other kids while you go off to relax. There is a harbour just a few minutes of a walk outside of the resort where you can see dolphins and can go swimming with them as well. There are vendors there as well. Our room was spotless and we always had a new towel creation each day by our housekeeper Maria. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone whether you're young, old, single or family oriented - it's a great place to vacation and I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear travgal30,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

10th - 24th April from U.K

The only negative was the quality of the buffet, we found the food to be bland and cold a lot of the time and the quality of the meats and pasta to be quite low (fresh fruits and salads were lovely though). That said, the creperie, Japanese and tapas were fantastic, the steakhouse was good but didn't blow us away and the Mexican was underwhelming.

Now on to all of the many positives. The service everywhere was incredible, all staff went the extra mile and always had a smile. The grounds were stunning and immaculately clean and you can tell the staff work endlessly to keep it looking great.

We upgraded our room to privileged and was very impressed by the cleanliness, comfort and size (the bed was very comfortable and huge).

The beach was beautiful and even though there were a few rocks, it didn't stop us from enjoying the beautiful sea.

All pools were very well kept and were clean.

Location wise, this was perfect. The marina was a short walk away with some great restaurants (thaime and the Italian). We were 25 minutes away from Tulum and Coba ruins (rent a car and go early!!) , 25 minutes away from Playa del Carmen (go to Coco Bongos!!!). There the best white sand beach about 10 minutes away called Akumal where you can snorkel in the sea and see turtles which was a very surreal experience. We also recommend going to Oscar and Lolas, the food was incredible and if you are lucky then you might meet the gorgeous spider monkey and get to play with her!

All in all, a fantastic holiday. Would I go to this resort again? Despite the lack lustre buffet food, YES!

This part of Mexico was like a paradise and this is by far the best 14 days off we've ever had. Go!!!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Locomikeey,

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Hotel Manager

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!