A group of family and friends (14) attended the end of April. Here is a true account from people that like to go and have fun and make the most of any situation. We have been to 10 other all inclusives so feel we have the experience to write a report.
Check In : Very fast (offered a drink upon arrival). Our group was the only bunch checking in so we got lucky there.
Rooms : We never upgrade our rooms (we never spend much time in them so why bother). The rooms are very basic but comfortable and kept very clean. The beds were comfy. We had a room on the 3rd floor looking down at a pool, close to everything.
Restaurants: The 2 buffets got a little repetitive by the end of the week but the food was good. The other restaurants were first come, first served and we went at 6 - 7 pm and had no trouble getting in to any one. We did the Mexican, Steak House, Japanese and Italian and all were great. The creperie on the upper level was a great place to relax after dinner.
Service: I do not know why people would complain about the service at this place. They were great. Bartenders cruising the beach would bring you drinks right to your chair. Never waited long for a drink at a bar all week. Very friendly and attentive servers (we all agreed that if anything, they were too quick, as soon as you finished your plate, it was gone!). Water was refilled often and service was always with a smile.
Beach: This is not the long beach for strolling along the ocean. It is a small beach with a fair bit of coral in the water. However, this makes for good snorkelling. The sand is nice and never had troubles finding a chair.
Pools: Lots of pools and 2 swim up bars. The pools were fairly busy at times but not bad. The swim up bars had fairly quick service but if you are sitting on a stool at a swim up bar, do they really HAVE to be lightning fast? The pools were always being cleaned and we never saw any problems there.
Shows: Just went to one but it seemed quite good.
Grounds: The grounds are kept immaculate. Very nice all around.
Security: This is within a gated community ( marina, golf course, condos, shops , restaurants) and feels very safe.
Water sports: Hobie Cat rides were free but you had to book them. Kayaking free. Snorkel gear free. Intro to scuba free.
Activities: Lots of games (archery, beach volley, pool volley, darts, tennis, golf simulator, games room, resort's "silly" games). A 5 minute walk put you at the dolphin and ray pens where you could swim with the dolphins.
Excursions: We only did the Tulum tour and took a taxi to Playa Del Carmen. Both were good but not great. Nice to just get out of the resort and look around. If you are going to Tulum, take a cab and pay the entry fee at the gate(we went by tour bus and by the time we picked up people at other resorts, we were 1 1/2 hours on the bus for a about a 25 min drive)
Other info: As people have said before, this is actually 2 resorts (the Catalonia and the Riviera Maya) but are really all one. The buildings are connected in some places. No real separation but that is ok because the whole place is not huge like some places. The only negative we found was the first couple of days we were there, the locals were there and took over the pool. We could not believe how disrespectful these people were ( they would go get plates of food, bring them out, leave them on the pool deck right next to the pool, food falling in the pool, half eaten stuff all over. Of course this attracted birds. We felt sorry for the staff having to clean up after these pigs. After the weekend, this changed drastically and not a problem the rest of the week.
Overall. we would go back to this resort but we do not return to places as we like to experience new places. Go, have fun, be respectful and everything will be great!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4 star Catalonia Yucatan Beach Resort & Spa is located in the heart of the Riviera Maya, on the private estate of Puerto Aventuras. Located on the beautiful Mexican Caribbean coast, this resort is directly on the beach and offers a comfortable and peaceful atmosphere, perfect for a relaxing break. This mystical area boasts many Mayan archaeological ruins that include Chichen Itza, Tulum and Tikal as well as the natural attractions of Xel-Ha, Cozumel and Xcaret. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Otel so you can book your Catalonia Yucatan Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Riviera Maya/Puerto Aventuras, Mexico