“Good decent resort, don't listen to the complainers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Yucatan Beach

You added Catalonia Yucatan Beach to your Saves list
Catalonia Yucatan Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 MZ, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Halifax
“Good decent resort, don't listen to the complainers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I traveled to this resort along with my husband and another couple for a week March 23-30. This was my first visit to Mexico but my 6th all inclusive resort. I will try to break down my review and be as honest as possible.

Let me first start by saying Catalonia Yucatan and Catalonia Riveria Maya are listed as 2 resorts but in all honestly it is just one resort so any comments I make refer to both secitons.

Rooms - We had a standard room and felt no need to upgrade. Room was very clean and had everything we needed. Two double beds (very comfy). No we didn't get a fridge but really didn't need one. We did get 3 - 40 oz bottles of liquior (vodka, rum & Gin) but we didn't even open them. No need to since we could get a drink anytime we wanted anywhere. Yes we did have to pay for the safe but it was $21 for the whole week and felt it was a small price to pay for peace of mind knowing your passport and other things were secured.

Pools & Beach - There are 5 pools at this resort. Some smaller than others. Two of the pools have swim up bars which we enjoyed. There was a quiet pool on the Yucatan side and a more lively one on the Riveria Mayan side so you could choose what you were in the mood for that day. The beach is a decent size. Not one you could walk on for hrs by any means but still very nice. Definately a bit rocky but just bring some water shoes and you'll be fine. Great for snorkelling.

Restaurants - While we were there only one buffet was open and yes some nights not all the a la cartes were open since the resort was only at about 50% capacity. Now we were still able to take advantage of all the restaurants when they were open and never once in the whole week did we stand in a line up and have to wait any amount of time. Even though some restrurants were closed on some days there was still more than enough food to eat. We enjoyed all our meals and felt the food was very good. No complaints at all with the food. Loved the Creipe bar for desserts after dinner.

Grounds - Resort is not very big but they definately do manage to fit alot into a small space. Gardens are well kept and you constantly see gardeners working on them.

Staff- Some of the best staff I have encountered right from the animation staff to the waiters and waitresses, the front desk staff and the bartenders. Always willing to help and worked with a smile. The security at the lobby were very good with getting your info when you leaved the resort and you just check back with them when you return to let you know you're back on property.

Over all I was extremely pleased with everything this resort had to offer. Since the resort wasn't at full capacity we had no trouble getting a chair either by the pool or on the beach in any location we wanted at anytime of the day. Can't say how that would be if the resort was full. If you are going to this resort, just go there and enjoy all it has to offer and don't worry about the small stuff. You're on vacation, relax and enjoy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Polish first
Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

March 20-27/2012
The best part of the resort was the entertainment staff and the premium suites that were available. The entertainment staff were and must be what keeps this resort alive. They were fun, friendly, warm and welcoming. They were also amazing with interacting with the kids. Thanks!! We upgraded to premium suites (8213) and the rooms were huge and beautiful. The beach is nice despite many people complaining about coral. Good snorkelling and fun to see and feed the variety of fish.

The a-la-carte at this place was a joke. You normally get 3 passes, we got 5 since we upgraded. When we got there many a-la-carte's were closed. Turns out they chose to leave many closed every night since they said hotel capacity was only at 40%.There had to have been near 1000 people.So a few nights when we were there, no a-la-carte's were open at all, other nights only one or two, and other nights restaurants were open that people were unaware of.Needless to say that when an a-la-carte was open the line ups for the popular ones were massive and had people waiting 1-2 hours just to get in, even at 9:30 at night.On our 7 night stay we only managed to get into 3 a-la-carte's despite having upgraded.

Restaurant service at the a-la-carte's was poor at best.Many times we had to ask 4 or 5 times to get a high chair.We even resorted to going and getting it ourselves, which of course prompted quick action by the servers.You would think that with hotel occupancy being low according to management, the service would be plentiful.Servers were slow to get to your table, slow to bring your food, slow to re-fill drinks.

Another big sour note was the fitness facility personnel. The facility ins't great if you are a fitness buff, a few cardio machines and a few cable machines and a few dumbells up to 50lbs. Every morning we would work out at 7am when it was quiet.The first day my wife came in when I was almost done working out with the kids to say hi and hung out a bit.Staff said it was dangerous and said they had to leave or sign a waiver.I signed a waiver because my children have been raised in gyms across canada, including our own.We thought all was well.A day or two later I was in there again working out when my wife and kids came in to say hi.A facility worker started shouting at her before she even entered the facility and told her not to enter.My wife proceeded to tell her that we signed a waiver and she was only coming in to talk.The facility worker followed her in and proceeded to harass her until she got to where I was. I was trying to talk to my wife while this worker rudely was trying to interrupt and tell her to get out.I asked her a few times to quiet down because I was trying to have a conversation.The worker finally threatened to remove the children physically.Our toddler was in my wife's arms and our 4 year old was standing by her side.I told her she was rude and better quit threatening so she proceeded to call security. When security arrived we were informed that the waiver they had us sign actually did not mean anything and was not worth the paper they printed it on. The facility worker proceeded to tell us then how rude we were. WOW, what professionalism??!

On our 2nd last day we noticed our 32GB Iphone was gone.We notified hotel concierge and they took a statement and said they would contact us with their findings.Still nothing to date except an additional $850 cost to staying at this resort.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations, also you will receive soon news from our staff regarding the incident in your room. .

Beijing, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel as part of a larger wedding group in the middle of March. I have been to Mexico countless times and been to multiple all inclusive resorts. I say this because when I read reviews I often think many people expect too much or are being unreasonable but I do not think people are asking to much when you read peoples complaints here. The hotel itself is nice enough, again nothing special, but not bad. The beach is rocky and the ocean is even rockier. The A la Carte restaurants are mediocre for being "special". The Japanese one stands out as a better choice but it is not the food which stands out it is the showmanship of the chefs cooking it. The food is plain otherwise.

The buffets are frustrating, this was the first time I have ever run into this but if your group is large they will not combine tables so if you cant get the 8 person circle table you will need to wait or sit in 2 groups of 4. The buffets are also comparatively small and plain compared to other similar all inclusive places I have stayed such as the Bahia Principe Tulum down the road.

Security at the hotel was a bit of a joke to me, The hotel is located inside a gated community but the doormen are always asking for your room number as you come in and out of taxi's which they say is for security. I again have never had any hotels do this and it seemed silly and i just kept saying I don't remember because half the time they only ever asked me 50% of the time so what security was it possibly providing..

Do not book a "Superior Ocean Front" room. The rooms are located directly behind the beach bar which obstructs greatly the view on floors 1 and 2 and partially on 3, floor 4 would be ok but you are still located just behind a noisy bar...

Also annoying in the room - They give you a coffee machine but not an alarm clock. there is no way to tell the time in the room unless you turn on the TV, or pay extra to get an alarm clock. Someone told me it was $35 a week for an alarm clock.. I laughed but i never looked into this myself..

Do not lose your room key cards or beech towels, at checkout they will charge you $35 for a missing room card...

All of these missteps have caused me to give it this rating. I would not go back. It was nice enough but it was certainly memorable for all the wrong reasons like no alarm clocks and disappointingly average food.....

Room Tip: Don't upgrade to Superior ocean front the view is obstructed except on the 4th floor and its far...
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Went March 20 2012. Had a great time. The hotel and rooms are dated. 3 stars at best. That being said the sevice,pool and beach made up for this in spades. The grounds and 5 pools are beautiful. The food was very good.This is our 4th all inclusive and the food is comparable with other 4 star. They would have new items on the buffet every day. The ala carte restaurants were great. This resort has the best beach I have been to. Snorkling was awesome. Tons of colorful tropical fish and reef to explore. The resort is a ten minute walk to the marina and aquarium. Lots of little shops as well. All and all I would recomend this property.

Room Tip: We were offered an upgrade for another 200/per. We kept our room. Don't expect much from your ro...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, April 2, 2012

Tappen, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We loved this resort, other than the food and restaurants (more on this to come!)

First of all, calling this resort Catalonia Yucatan and Catalonia Riviiria Maya is a misnomer - it is the SAME RESORT. If you are booking at the Yucatan because it is smaller, know that you share restaurants, beaches, services etc. They have separate front desks, but you can access either one!

The beaches were great - ignore all the negative reviews. Water shoes are a good idea. If you like snorkelling, you will love the lagoon. The lagoon is also a great beach area for kids.

Bamboleo Bar and Pure Bar were the best - Leobaldo at the Bamboleo is fantastic. Ask for the premium liquor (gin, rum etc.) - all the bars have them but will give you the house stuff unless you request the premium by name (Tanqueray, Bacardi). The Sports Bar is also good.

We upgraded to a Superior room (4022) and were very pleased. The rooms were immaculately cleaned, and they came twice a day to check on our room. I am not sure why they give you 3 bottles of alcohol, considering this is an all inclusive, so we just took the bottles home!

The very best thing about this resort is the bicycles - you can use them for free, and ride into Puerto Adventuras (less than a 5 minute ride). We did this almost every afternoon.

The food and restaurants were very disappointing, thus the 3/5 rating. The buffet was lukewarm and had little to no variation. The a la carter were rarely open - the Japanese restaurant (which is great) was only open one night during our stay. The Tapas and Grill restaurants were good, but the Italian restaurant was poor. They give you extra a la carte tickets with an upgrade, but can't use them all because the restaurants were not open :(

Overall, it is a good resort, with good value, but the food really diminished the rating. Take advantage of the free use of snorkelling equipment, kayaks and bikes.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Superior Room and take advantage of the bicycles
Dear Valued Guest,

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Tappen, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We Stayed at the Catalonia from March 18-25. Overall, we really enjoyed the resort, other than the restaurants and food.
First of all, calling it Catalonia Yucatan and Catalonia Riveria Maya is a misnomer - it is the SAME resort. If you are picking the Yucatan because it is a smaller resort, note that you will not recognize a difference - the restaurants, beach services, etc are the same. We used the front desk on both sides.
The beaches are great - don't pay attention to the lousy reviews on this. Water shoes are a great idea, but there is lots of beach area, and the lagoon has spectacular snorkelling. If you have kids, you will love the lagoon area. Snorkelling gear and kayaks are available - take advantage of this service!
Leobaldo at the Bamboleo Bar is fantastic - we went to this and the Pure Bar for drinks. The Sports Bar is also good. Ask for the premium liquor (rum, gin, etc.) otherwise they will default to the house brand. All the bars have premium liquor available by request!
We upgraded to a Superior Room (4022) and were thrilled - we had twice daily room cleaning and our room was always immaculate. I am not sure why they give you 3 bottles of alcohol as a gift - it is all inclusive, after all, but we just brought the bottles home!
The best thing about this resort is the bicycle service (you can borrow bikes for free and ride into Puerto Adventuras - less than a 5 minute ride) and we did this almost every day.

The food and restaurants were mediocre at best. The buffet was lukewarm and had little variation - it gets boring very quickly. The a la carte weren't always open. The Japanese restaurant (which is fantastic) was only open on one night! The Tapas restaurant was also good, as was the Bamboleo Grill, but the Italian restaurant was poor.

Overall the resort was exactly what we wanted and we had a great time - however the poor food and restaurants dropped this resort down to a 3/5.

Room Tip: Take advatange of the bikes and snorkelling equipment the resort lets you use for free!

Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed from March 3 to March 17, 2012 at catalonia yucatan ( catalonia riviera maya) in priviledged bedroom suites in the room 8203. On March 10 at 4:15 we returned to our room after a day at the lagoon. We placed our well rolled towels and our beach bags on the bench beside the door. We decide to look at our photos to see if they were taken well then l placed my digital camera in its case in my beach bag and decided to each drink a beer on our balcony . At 4:50 am l was going to the bathroom to shave and ran into the guys who did the room cleaning, without knocking came into the room, came face to face with my partner and said sorry sorry and appeared to be very very nervous. My boyfriend told him that he could not find his card or his keys. The cleaning guy nervoulsly stood near the door and sayed amigo amigo and takes off. My boyfriend found it very bizzare and decided to look for his keys and found it on the towels next to our beach bag, and our camera case was empty.So l went to the reception to advise them that my camera had been stolen and they sent the head of the security and the manager to our room. They searched my whole room and filled a report.The next day they checked the cameras to see who was going in and out off my room and at what time. They noticed that the cleaning guy entred my room at 4:45 for the first time and took my camera while we were sitting outside on our balcony, and came back at 4:50 because he had forgotten his key. They told us that they were having people look into the situation the following day, and told us to come back the tuesday. After four days we finally met with somebody higher up by the name of Luis Gonzalez Lopez. He told sorry and that the hotel would not reimburse or compensate for any loss of our camera,that had one weeks worth of pictures on it. Also we had learned that the cleaning guy is still working there. I understand that there are cases where employees will steal, but the fact that hotel did not compensate for our loss is ridiculous. The hotel did nothing to help us clients in the situation and this l could not understand. l personally would never return to this hotel, nor any hotel from the same chain. After 7 trips down south, it was our first time in Mexico and it will be my last time. If you want more details you can contact me by email tito43@live.ca

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!