“Exceeded all expectations...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Yucatan Beach

You added Catalonia Yucatan Beach to your Saves list
Catalonia Yucatan Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 MZ, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Brooklin, Canada
“Exceeded all expectations...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

Without any hesitation I would highly recommend this resort. I must admit that I did a fair amount of research before booking this resort, which also included visiting local forums and asking lots of questions. With absolute honesty, I can say this property far exceeded my/our expectations.

We stayed at the resort from Mach 16th until the 23rd. We had an early morning flight and decided to take a private transfer from the airport (USA Transfers). Upon arrival at the resort we were given the option to upgrade to a suite for a minimal charge, and as a bonus the room was ready immediately. The check-in process was smooth and proficient.

We were in room #8113 (Riviera Maya side) which had a lovely view of the grounds/gardens, and to the far left a small sliver of an ocean view. The room was spotless and tasteful in tropical decor and colour. If you can afford to splurge, do the upgrade! My only comment would be the pull-out couch. The mattress wasn’t actually a mattress but instead two foam mattress toppers place together to form a mattress of sorts. By the third day we noticed how thin the foam was and requested the staff to see if they had any additional foam toppers. Within a half hour they were able to double the mattress thickness, providing much more comfort to our two children who shared the sofa bed. The bathroom was lovely, hot water was never an issue and the rainfall showerhead was heavenly. Housekeeping always left plenty of towels, supplies and replenishment of the minibar. The towel art was great too, always something different and creative.

I will be brief on the restaurants as we felt they were all excellent, including the buffets. There was always a large variety of dishes, most of them very tasty. The only thing we found a little bland was the pasta. The buffet also offers a grill which you can personally select your own offerings – i.e. chicken, beef, pork, fish, etc. In the morning, the breakfast buffet included a crepe station as well, which was very yummy. For the bacon lovers out there, they had plenty during our stay. We never had an issue making reservations for the a la carte restaurants and at most had to wait 10 minutes early one morning (mornings seem to be the busiest for booking reservations). We thoroughly enjoyed Tapas and Mikado (those being our favorites). Bella Vista (Italian) and Bamboleo (Steakhouse) were also quite good. Le Creperie was amazing, but bring a jacket or sweater for the evenings as it can get a bit cooler. We went 3 or 4 times and could have easily just eaten here and been happy the whole week!

Although small and compact, the beach is clean, very little seaweed, fairly calm surf, good snorkeling for beginners and children and plenty of beach chairs. There is a small lagoon which is great for young children or those with limited mobility. There are some rocks along the shore, but with enough entry points this shouldn’t be a concern. I purchased water shoes, which for me added a level of comfort. You can also feed the fish on the lagoon side, which is really fun. There were many different species of fish, and we lucked out on our first day there and saw a small octopus! We thoroughly enjoyed the beach, although I do feel bad that the reef is fairly destroyed.

The grounds of the resort are immaculate. Lush, green, tropical and very well kept. We saw staff on a daily basis attending to the upkeep. Even at night the resort is stunning. On certain days you will also find local vendors on the Riviera Maya side, with your typical assortment of souvenirs. There are also three small gift shops on site, along with a more upper-class boutique.

The Kids Club is superb, with an assortment of daily activities such as face painting, snorkeling, swimming, treasure hunts, sandcastle competitions, movies, crafts, painting, making cookies, etc. The Kids Club is open from 10AM to 5PM every day. Half way through our vacation, our children didn’t want to spend any time with us during the day (LOL). They only wanted to go to the Kids Club. My daughter even started crying on the day she had to leave early to swim with the dolphins – she actually wanted to stay at the Kids Club instead! In the evening at 8PM there is a Kids Disco. This entails one “crazy game” which the kids all participate in (i.e. donut eating contest, musical chairs, etc.) and the winner is given a prize (usually a t-shirt). After that the kids dance to two songs along with the staff. It’s really well done and the kids have a blast. The parents also enjoy it as it’s quite humorous to watch the little ones partake in the activities. Once a week they also host a piñata night.

On a side note, a fellow guest staying in our building slipped a note under our door one evening. Basically it was a “gentle” complaint about the noise of our children. It’s important to note, this is a family friendly resort. Plus we went/stayed during spring break, so if you’re seeking absolute quiet then I suggest going during a different time of the year or staying at an adults only resort (but we found the resort to be very quiet). Plus as with other resorts, you are always going to be able to hear certain things – the hallways in the suites are fairly open and many things can echo/carry.

The staff at the resort are amazing, everyone from housekeeping, to front desk, to wait staff, to bartenders, to chefs, etc. They almost always have a smile on their face and you are frequently welcomed with a “hola” whenever passing by. They are like “busy bees” that never seem to stop and are always willing and eager to assist. We had many pleasant conversations with them along with a few good laughs. I must also personally thank the on-site doctor (Dr. Real), lifeguard, front desk staff etc. that all assisted when I suffered from a case of heat exhaustion/dehydration. They were all very kind and attentive and I can’t thank them enough.

My one and only real complaint... Wi-Fi was very unreliable, sketchy at best. That being said though, we were on vacation so it wasn't a big deal.

We honestly can’t wait until our next stay, and we’re already talking about re-booking for this fall.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Polish first
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

This was a wonderful resort about 20 km south of Playa del Carmen. I highly suggest you upgrade to a privileged package. The room, although, not huge, was lovely. The KS bed was very comfortable, unlike many Mexican beds. The room was spotless and everyday we would be greeted with a cute little towel sculpture. The bathroom had a lovely spa like shower, with an assortment of toiletries like comb, razor, toothbrush, etc. The only slight bad comment was we didn't have an ocean view as we requested, however you could see a small slip bit between the trees. Oh well....
The resort was quite large, but it didn't take too long to get your bearings. It was nice that there were so many pools, including two swim up bars. I think there were four or five pools all together. The buffet, was very good, but pretty much the same typical Mexican buffet type food. Certainly won't go hungry. We did four ala-cartes. The Japanese was by far the best, but the rest were fine as well.
The resort is spotless, neat and tidy and the grounds are very well maintained. The entertainment staff were fantastic! I don't know how they do it everyday, from around 9:00 am to 11:00 pm but they do with such enthusiasm. We didn't see many of the nighttime shows, but the couple we did were very entertaining.
I'm sure everyone who has read the comments on this hotel will say the same thing about the beach. Yes it is rocky, so bring some cheap aqua shoes. You can buy them for $8.00 at Walmart, otherwise you'll pay $20-$25.00 at the resort. There a small lagoon that is clean, clear, calm and not rocky at all. It was a great place for the smaller kids to play in. It was also very warm with lots of bluish grey fish. (No fancy or exotic type fish to see)
Now, not everything was perfect.... Those three Air Transat/Nolitour guys (Max, Oliver and Raphael) that sit in the lobby are rude, arrogant, unfriendly and obnoxious, unless of course you are French, then they seem to be a bit friendlier because you could at least see them smiling when they spoke in French. These guys should pack their bags and go back to Quebec, because they don't appear to enjoy their jobs and they do a poor job of doing it too especially when dealing with us dumb English people. We got more information by just exchanging information amongst the guests.
The only other negative thing about this hotel. They won't exchange larger pesos bill or dollars into small bills or peso coins. We ran out of small bills or coins, which only prevents us from tipping. You would think for the sake of tipping, which they all rely on so much, that they would make exchanges at the front desk. I would have to buy a package of gum using 200 pesos, just to get some change and that often came with resistance. Make sure you bring lots of $1.00 US bills. No coins. DON'T TIP WITH LOONIES OR TOONIES!
We went to Xel-Ha. It was very nice. I think we expected more, but still enjoyed it. The buffet there was excellent. If you have your own mask and snorkel, take it because the one we got kept getting water in the mask. Just borrow the flippers. Make sure you bring $20.00 each for refundable deposit on the snorkel gear. (Something our AirTrans guides failed to mention to us)
Finally we took the half day snorkel trip to Puerto Morales. It was a nightmare for me. The reef itself was truly the most amazing thing I have ever seen. The jerks that run it were horrible. We felt like we were swimming a marathon, Imagine you are a baby turtle racing from the nest to the sea. There we were 20 inexperienced snorkelers flapping around and trying desperately to keep up with the guide who has probably done this 100,000 times. Every time you slowed down to savor the moment, one of the guides where poking or yelling at you to hurry up and keep up with the leader. We were rushed through the reefs like cattle in a slaughter yard. No time to look and absorb the beauty. I got kicked in the face by another snorkeler who was racing to keep up himself. I got a mouth full of water and had to stop to catch my breath. One of the guides grabbed my bathing suit, and tried to drag me away from touching the reefs. Unfortunately I became panicked and very upset and had to return back to the boat. I believe many of the other people on out group felt the same as they too, turned around and swam back even though we still had 20 minutes left of our tour.
Overall we have a very pleasant vacation, but I think this will be our first and last time to the Mayan Riviera side. Too much time wasted getting around from point A to B. I think we prefer the Pacific side.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

This was our second trip to this resort. Good value for money. We did notice that the service has declined slightly. The small rooms definitely need upgrading. We stayed in the "privileged" suites which are fantastic.

Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

This was our second stay here in 3 years. It's a beautiful resort.

On our first trip I felt there were a lot of service issues that would cause me to rate this resort at less than 4 stars. This trip did nothing to change my mind. In fact it was worse.

This is one of those places where you get two resorts in one, and that's great. However, the Catalonia side was virtually shut down during the first week of March. We had to go to the other resort for all of our meals, all activities, and all entertainment. Even during the night hours only the front desk in the Riviera side was open. A long walk for a cold strong coffee.

Is it not reasonable to expect that if you pay to stay in a resort, restaurants and activities would be available there?

Anyway, that's my little beef. it all seems so insignificant though in light of the fact that we had a medical emergency at 3 AM and after running all the way to the Riviera lobby, I encountered the night manager, a security guard, and the desk clerk. They all sprang into immediate action. They called for an ambulance, rushed to our room followed by the head of security and the resort doctor. They did so much to help us and reassure us, and I cannot say enough about their efforts.

My son, who could have died that night, is okay. With all the bad publicity Mexico gets, I would never hesitate going back, and this includes the superb treatment we got at the hospital.

So, it was difficult to rate this hotel. Based on amenities, I'd say about 3 1/2 stars. But for their competence and swift action during a medical emergency, definitely a 5.

Sometimes we get carried away with trivial aspects of our vacations. What is really important?

Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Wow, what a vacation, fun fun fun. 15 min cab ride from playa de carmen and only a 5 min walk to portos adventures. This resort was fantastic. Clean clean clean, We stayed in the priviledge suites which were absolutely awesome. The shower fantastic:))).(waterfall shower head, with a second removable shower head) Food was absolutely delicious (even the buffet), however big down fall being that to book your reservations at the a la carte you were wasting half of your day standing in line (4hrs no word of a lie) I was even there at 730am before it even opened, absolutley ridiculous. Entertainment was great, lots of activities during the day around the pool and great shows in the evening. The disco was so much fun, great music, good bartenders. I did think it was a bit silly that the disco closes at 2am along with the snack bar, so after there is not one single place on the resort to grab something to eat. The beach was close, clean, snorkling amazing. The spa was so nice and relaxing great massage and pedicure, worth the money. I just loved this resort would go back in a heart beat

• Stayed March 2011
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

My mother booked this trip for the two of us, having stayed at the resort twice before. After reading some of the reviews prior to travelling, I was a bit aprehensive about what the place would be like. I'm not sure if the people who have written poor reviews simply have outlandish expectations that can never be met, or whether they, in fact, paid attention to the details about which they were complaining.

The resort itself was well maintained, nicely landscaped and spotlessly clean (you could probably eat off the sidewalks).

Our room was dated and in need of an upgrade, but comfortable and exceptionally clean. The houskeeping staff are head and shoulders above those at many other resorts I've visited.

The buffet was disapointing. Not bad, but not up to the standards I expect and there was insufficient variety. I found most of the dishes heavy on the oil/butter, even when apparently grilled. My mom commented that the food quality had declined since she was last there (a couple of years ago when I understand the hotel was under different management - though I could be wrong about that).
The a la carte restaurants were better, though service at the Italian was very slow.

Staff in the bars, buffet and restaurants were very friendly and helpful - it was clear that guest service was important to them.

The beach is not a long strip of sand (like, say, Veradaro), but the rocks and coral actually make for some great snorkeling. If you want sand, go to the lagoon. This is one of the few resorts on the Mayan Riviera that is actually ON the ocean (no taking a cart or tram to the beach).

The wifi is free if you have a laptop or iphone or similar device, but you have to be in certain hotspots to get connectivity. Once connected, the service was reliable enough and I had no difficulty with an iphone. There is also paid internet if you want to use the hotel's computers.

Having to pay for the safe ($3/day) was annoying, as was the lack of alarm clock in the room. Having said that, my whole trip came in at $900-For a week of all you can eat, drink and play in a beautiful resort - an extra $21 is not a hardship.

Contrary to some previous reviews, Chitzen Itza is ~3 hours by bus (not 6). And the tour I booked through the hotel included a stop for lunch and swimming in a cenote, as well as a guide who was an archeologist with a masters level education. As a result, time on the bus wasn't just "wasted" time.

The town of Peurto Aventuras is gated and by all accounts seemed very safe. I had no qualms about running alone in the morning, and I encountered many similarly minded people. The main area of town is a short walk from the hotel and well worth doing.

All in all, a very nice holiday. The resort clearly caters to familes, so if you are looking for a secluded romantic adults-only get away, this is not the place for you. Although, there was a wedding almost every day we were there.

• Stayed March 2011
cataloniarivieramaya, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, April 28, 2011
Dear valued guest,

We appreciate your feedback about your stay with us as they will help us to improve our hotel facilities and services.

Be sure that we will take care your comments so seriosly in order to provide you with the best service ever in your next visit.

Have a lovely day,

Hotel Manager
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We booked the Privilege Honeymoon Package at the Catalonia Yucatan for March 10 - 17.

If you have read my live posts on the Puerto Adventuras Forum, you know we had a great trip.

We are in our 40's and not novice travelers, but not really experienced yet either.

We were looking for something special this year when we found the Catalonia Yucatan Beach.  We booked the Privilege Honeymoon Room.  Upon arrival, and to our great delight, we were directed to a suite on the Riviera Maya side.

The room was amazing.  Separate living area, king sized bed, beautiful bathroom with rain shower head, and a balcony with tub overlooking the condos.  The room was quiet, clean and kept well stocked.  I never did get our maids name but she did a fantastic job.  I looked forward to the daily towel art.  The room was about a minute walk from the snack bar and another 30 seconds to the beach.  It was perfect.  Absolutely no complaints about the room or the services for the room.

We have previously been to a 5 and a 4.5 star in Akumal.  I can honestly say we enjoyed the food here better.  The snack bar was the best we have been to along with the service.  We were very impressed at how fresh the trays of food were and with selection.  The same is true for both buffets.  We watched Gabriella in the La Brisas buffet, she keeps things moving!  She does an exceptional job.  The only comment I would have on the buffets is that the desert selection is limited. There is plenty just not a lot of variety.

We did the Steakhouse, Mexican, and the Japanese.  All excellent.  Deserts were fabulous!  While you do you prebook these, not rushing on Sunday morning makes it much easier.  We just laid out in the sun until the line went down and got exactly what we wanted.  We have been to resorts that do it both ways - reservation versus no reservation.  Can't say we prefer one over the other.

The ground are pretty and very clean.  It is easy to navigate anywhere you want to go.

There are several bars, our favorite being Pure Chill Out.  They will make anything you like.  Service is quick, friendly and consistent.

The level of service everywhere seemed the exact same whether you tipped or didn't.  Of course good service deserves to be recognized no matter where you are in the world, and I am sure the tips are appreciated.

The pools were warmer than any others we have been in while visiting the Riviera Maya.  They are clean and this was the first time we have ever seen pools used so much.  It was nice to see.

The second reason we chose this resort was the beach, specifically because my husband loves to snorkel and I love the sun.  And while the other two resorts we have been to also had snorkeling from the beach we wanted something where I could also get into the water to see the fish without snorkeling.  The beach is not miles long and there is coral when you enter in certain places.  However, we found lots of sandy pathways and once you were in it was lovely.  Sandy bottom, warm and so many different fish.  We walked the beach everyday and loved the lagoon area.  Never once did we use our water shoes.  The beach exceed what we had expected.  Wish we had have been able to go to the beach party.

After two days we still hadn't received any information with respect to the Honeymoon Package.  So I sent a message asking if we needed to do anything.  Within hours a note was slipped under our door to see Cynthia at Guest Services.  We did and she fixed us up quickly.  Everything that was listed on our documentation was provided with only one hiccup.

Our package included Late Check Out.  We asked three times throughout the week about it and were told to come back on check out day.  We did and were told no, so we checked out at noon.  We then went over and spoke to Cynthia about it, as there were no conditions around it and they had a sign on the lobby counter that also advertised this.  She advised she would mention it to management.  Nothing else could be done.  We were disappointed as we had horrible flights and this was the third factor in our choosing this package at this resort.  We then went over to the Yucatan Lobby to let our Nolit Tours rep know that we would be using a private transfer and just happened to mention the lack of late check out to him.  Well, he was up and over to the desk and had our room back for us in no time.  We were able to keep the room until 4:00.  He was excellent and we so appreciated his handling this for us.

This resort met or exceeded our expectations in every way.  After only having travelled to 'mega' resorts in this past, this was a welcome change and I think we have found we prefer the smaller resort.  You just feel like you belong there.  It is such a relaxing and friendly atmosphere without ever feeling snobbish.  I would pick the 4 star Catalonia over the other two we have been to any day.  It was better than the 5 stars in so many ways.

This is a very family friendly resort for kids of all ages.  We would most definitely bring our son here.  The size and activities allow for teens to go off on their own without worry.

We visited the marina, Cozumel and Akumal Beach as well.  All wonderful.

We had a great vacation and look forward to a return visit!  We also plan to try the other Catalonia resorts in the area now as well! Thanks Catalonia for making this the special trip we had been looking for!  We will never forget it!

I also would like to give kudos to the staff who monitor emails and other places on the Internet.  Never have I had such quick and thorough responses.  It was so nice not to get 'standard' replies to everything.  This service was excellent.

Do your homework, go with the right attitude and you will love this!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!