“Never going back!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe

You added Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez km 266.3 | Carretera a Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 30% discount
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
San Diego, California
“Never going back!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I planned this vacation for my family and friends total of 15 people. I picked the Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe for our vacation. Upon arrival the hotel was beautiful. We were all very excited to get our vacation under way. We all purchased the Premier Package with the Ocean Front Suites. This is when the trip went bad!! Our Ocean Front Suites were behind two pools and of course one being the kiddie pool!! My youngest was 17 so I was very upset that I paid top dollar to be stuck behind a kiddie pool!! I couldn't see the Ocean from my ground floor room. The hotel was packed with small children. So we all complained and the Premier staff could care less that we were displeased and told us they could do nothing to fix the problem. We all just figured lets make the best of it. The buffet staff ladies who work the doors were rude. I tried taking out a hamburger for my Sister wrapped in a napkin and this staff woman stepped in front of me and told me I couldn't take it outside. Are your freaking kidding me!! I just started laughing. One of the worst things about this hotel is every bar closed at 7:00pm. I guess they figure its bedtime for everyone. If you want a drink you have to go to the lobby bar which sucked. Oh I forgot my mini bar didn't get restocked for 3 days. I called everyday and even went to the Premier lounge to ask to get it restocked. Nope didn't happen. On day 4 of our 7 day trip it finally got stocked then that was it for us. I was so tired of asking I just said forget it. The beach was beautiful and our room was nice if you can handle all the bugs. Our housekeeper was awesome and I tipped her well everyday. She wasn't the one who did the restocking of the mini bars. The whole room thing really started our vacation off wrong and I met two other older couples that had the same issues as us. I'm sure thats why the Premier staff was rude and could careless. They get this complaint all of the time!! Once they have your money you're out of luck. I will never stay at this resort nor will the other people I traveled with. I've stayed at 3 different all inclusive resorts and this one was by far the worst. I will go back to the Moon Palace where you're allowed to bring food by the pool and the swing bar stays open all night. I had 3 couples ask me if I would recommend this resort and I gave them a big NO!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear Ms. Shannon

I have carefully read all your comments and first of all I want to thanks the time you took to write all your good and no good experiences, it is important for us to know your feedback thanks to them makes us constantly improve.

I am very sorry you had a bad impression of our service, so I offer you a sincere apology.

Barcelo Maya Palace

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (898)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

This was our first experience at a Barcelo resort, but our ninth trip to the Cancun region. We were traveling as a family - mom, dad and 3 kids under 10. Overall, we had a good trip, but I would not rate this experience as "deluxe" or "first-rate". Here is a breakdown of our experience:

Hotel appearance/cleanliness/view: Excellent
The hotel is beautiful, with a grand and gracious lobby greeting you as you walk-in. The views of the beach are gorgeous. The hotel common areas are clean and well-kept.

Check-in: TERRIBLE.
This was by far the worst check-in experience of any hotel we have ever stayed in. The entire process took over an hour, and the line was not even that long. We paid extra for adjoining rooms, which were guaranteed in writing. After walking across the resort to our rooms, we realized that despite their consecutive numbers (8180 & 8181), the rooms were actually at opposite ends of the hallway. To their credit, the hotel did correct this mistake by putting us in a beautiful, oceanfront presidential suite.

Rooms: Nice.
The room that we originally booked were the typical rooms in this part of the hotel (deluxe/premium), and they were very spacious and nice (two queen beds, sitting area, balcony, large 2 sink bathroom). When we were upgraded to the presidential suite, that room was HUGE, with a kitchenette area, dining table, living room area, enormous balcony, patio pool, large separate bedroom, and two bathrooms (full and half).

Pools: Good
The pools are very nice -- Really just one large pool separated by bridges into different areas. I don't believe any pool is any deeper than four feet. One pool is zero entry, and there are several areas with in-pool loungers and cabanas and fountains. Seats are easy to get. Towels are unlimited for club premium deluxe folks, but carefully regulated for other hotel guests. The kids' pool has lots of fun water slides and fountains ... my kids all enjoyed it, but the water is only about 2 feet deep and the ground of the pool is rough, so there were several times when the kids came off the slides and scraped themselves on the bottom of the pool.

Beach: Gorgeous
Really nice beach, lots of seats. There is some seaweed on the sand and some rocks, but plenty of swimmable areas.

Restaurants/Food Service: BAD.
There were numerous problems with the restaurants. The only options for breakfast and lunch were buffet. As Maya Palace Deluxe Club Premium, we could eat at any of the buffet restaurants in the Barcelo resort, but no sit-down restaurants. The quality of the food at the buffets was typical - not outstanding. We were disappointed by a lack of Mexican food.

I was VERY disappointed by the lack of pool-side lunch options (no bar food, no hamburger shack, no poolside ordering). Anytime we wanted lunch, we had to get dressed and go inside ... FOR A BUFFET. Yuck. Very annoying. We ***could *** pay extra to eat at the outdoor bar, but paying extra to eat at an all-inclusive resort really chafes. The day I decided to actually do that, I never was able to because no one ever served our table.

Speaking of service, pool-side drink service was the WORST I have ever experienced. We spent the entire day at the pool every day (six days at the resort), and each day I would see a waitress MAYBE twice. Then, if I did order a drink, half the time it never came, and if it did, it would take up to a half hour. Same for swim-up bar ... we would sit at the bar for long stretches of time before we would be acknowledged.

We tried room service a few times, which was included in our club premium deluxe level. The menu was extremely limited and we had a good experience a couple of times, but one time we all ordered breakfast, it took forty-five minutes to receive the order, and the server forgot cutlery, which then took twenty minutes for her to bring back to the room. By the time the silverware arrived, our food was stone cold.

In terms of the sit-down restaurants, the best one we tried was the Mexican restaurant at the Maya Beach resort. They had a very interesting menu with authentic Mexican dishes. Our food was hot, fresh and tasted good. In Brasserie, the French restaurant, I ordered the crunchy sea bass, which was overcooked and clearly had been frozen, but was still edible. In Caribe, the sea food restaurant, I ordered the shrimp, which was so overdone as to almost be tough to cut with a fork ... absolutely inedible. In that restaurant, my husband ordered the lobster tail dish, and suffered food poisoning afterward (he wasn't drinking, and no one else was sick, so we are fairly certain it was the lobster). In Rodizio, the Brazilian/Italian restaurant, I ordered the ravioli, which were hard and absolutely gross. The waiter thoughtfully offered to change my order and the skewers, which I switched to, were very good. I especially liked the green chorizo. In all the restaurants, the service was friendly and attentive.

Service: Fine.
The staff were friendly and helpful at all times. Unlike in other resorts I have visited, I did not develop a relationship with any member of the staff ... no one learned my name, remembered my favorite drink or went out of their way to give me a special or unique experience.

Housekeeping: Good.
The rooms were cleaned promptly and well. We were pleased to receive a 70$ off coupon for unlimited laundry, which we used (total cost came to $70).

Spa: Good.
I visited the spa once to receive a relaxing massage. As a club premium deluxe guest, I received 20% off, which turned off to be the same discount as I would receive if I used the coupon. The massage was fine, the spa was pleasant and relaxing. The spa also offers kids' services, which my kids were interested in, but we did not use.

Overall, although we had a nice vacation and our children and wonderful memories, we will likely not return. We prefer a smaller resort, with better food options and more staff interaction.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Mrs. Zippymama.

Regarding the check in and the food and beverages service I offer a sincere apology, we will be working to improve the satisfaction of our customers

Floral Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Just returned from our trip to the Barcelo Maya Palace and loved the place. The last 2 times we stayed at the Tropical Building, but this time we decided to stay at the Palace and we truly enjoyed our stay. The room was nice and clean. The property was well maintained and the staff worked very hard!!! We are thinking about returning again next year.

Room Tip: You do pay for Wifi and the service pretty much works in the rooms or the lobby. You don't get...
Dear Mrs. Christine.

It is noteworthy that such comments greatly encourage all staff makes every effort to obtain the satisfaction of all our guests.

Thank you in advance for choosing us and I hope in the near future give us the opportunity to visit us again.

Best regards.

lancs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

My husband and i are part way through a 2 week stay at the Palace. (August 5th-19th)
We have found the resort to be wonderful.
Staff are friendly and work hard.
Its a huge resort as it consists of 5 hotels in one. If you stay at the Palace you are entitled to use all the facilities of the other hotels including restaurants and can make as many reservations as u wish.
Buffet restaurants are amazing and there is so much variety. Quality of food is exceptional!
We have so far dined in 3 A La Cartes and found them all to be outstanding. Food is delicious and portions more than adequate. Also service is to be commended!
We had steak at the Rodizio and was so good. Sat outdoors with the moon shining down over the sea - gorgeous!
Italian restaurant also amazing!

Resort is mainly geared for families and facilities for children are fantastic around the pool in the Palace.
Adult pool was where we spent a lot of time as it was so beautiful and the water so warm, although there are no sun shades over the beds. You can however hire Palapos by the pool for the day which are covered and have mattresses.

Our only niggle was that there are no music bars for adults in the evenings. I think there is a Sports bar in the Caribe side but they are doing alterations and building work is going on around there so it is closed i think. This we missed.

Shows in the Theatres are reasonably good. Costumes amazing!

Rooms are decorated to a high standard and have all you need. Mattresses are firm but this we prefer and pillows are so comfy!

Would definitely recommend but do research as to which hotel suits your needs in the resort before you book.

Well done Barcelo staff !

Stayed August 2014
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear cmattLancs.

We appreciate your time, to write your comments on Trip Advisor,
Thank you for your preference! It you will be a pleasure to host in the future!

Best Regards from Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

The resort was super clean and beautifully maintained. The kids pool was amazing kids didn't bother us at all. The beach was beautiful. A lot of excursions were onsight. The restaurants were amazing. We tipped the managers and they took care of us all seven nights with no reservations. On the downside the service could have been better and the beds were awful.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Mr. Mmartiros

I have carefully read your comments and it is a pleasure to know that your holiday with us was amazing.

Princeton,NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This was our second stay at Barcelo Maya Palace and we were not disappointed. The property is very well maintained and the beach is beautiful and clean.
Check in was a breeze! The staff was so accommodating and friendly. We are a family of 5 with 3 girls 19,15 and 14. We were fortunate to have booked the Presidential Suite and a connecting suite in the Oaxaca Building. It was absolutely beautiful. There was a huge living area where we could all hang out after a long day on the beach. We stayed during the last week of June and boy was it hot!!! The A/C in the suite was great!! We had no issue with the beds at all. Probably because,we do prefer a firm mattress.
We were able to make dinner reservations for all 6 nights upon check in.......no problem! Our favorite was the Brasserie French restaurant and the Mexico Lindo at the Maya Beach. Mexico Lindo was delicious and the service fantastic. The restaurant is newly renovate and beautiful. I must say everyone we encountered was pleasant and always willing to go out of there way to be friendly. Breakfast and lunch each day was at the buffet. We were always able to find something we liked. The kids enjoyed the variety.
We didn't spend much time at the pool. The beach was so amazingly beautiful we couldn't understand why anyone would waste their time at the pool!! The water was so blue and clear. You could buy fish food at the shop outside by the pool bar and feed the fish near the coral reef. The fish would swim around you, blue, yellow and silver. The kids just loved it. There are quite a few turtles, large and small as well. There was never a problem finding a chair and shade on the beach. They offer Traditional message and Asian foot message on the beach!! They are both worth taking advantage of. Again the staff is friendly and accommodating. I also recommend renting Four Wheelers, taking the jungle tour and swimming in the Cenote. It was really fun and the Cenote was breathtaking.
We always tipped the staff and found them to be very grateful! It doesn't take much to make someone happy. The staff works very hard and really appreciate even a small gesture. There is nothing negative I can say about our stay. We were happy to all be together and fortunate to have had such a positive experience. Way to go Barcelo!!!!!!

Room Tip: It's worth upgrading to Club Premium. It guarantees you a room close to everything. The resort...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Guest Skylivi.

I have carefully read all your comments and first of all I want to thanks the time you took to write all your good experiences that you and your family lived, it is flattering to know you had a wonderful holiday.

Absolutely we have great facilities where all our guests enjoy a lot of them, like a beach more than a mile long with different areas with soft sand, rocks to snorkel and swim with great fish and turtles, large pools for adults and children with slides, a large variety of restaurants and bars.

Hillsborough, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Just got home after 6 nights at The Palace.

Pros:
Grounds are beautiful and extremely clean.
Rooms are huge and gorgeous
Very large pool not very crowded
Great adult pool also
Ala carte restaurants are very good
Beaches are clean and water is beautiful
Staff is so friendly and I mean all of them(big shout out to our pool waitress Angelica she was awesome)
Breakfast Buffett very good
The Hotel Lobby Bar is fantastic make sure you go there.
Great maid service
Plenty of chairs on the beach

Cons:
Get ready to walk place is large
Check in was brutal took an hour
If you want a chair by the pool with shade get there about 6 am and put your towel on it
Lunch Buffett is ok but it gets old
They need to do a better job of communicating where and when activities are being held
Like everyone says beds are hard don't get it
You need to book your a la carte restaurants the minute you check in or you will get shut out which I don't get since it is an all inclusive
Wi fi don't bother it's horrible
And my biggest beef is why do I have to get out of the pool dry myself off and walk 15 minutes to get lunch?Why can't they have a small grill at the pool.Burgers,chicken fingers,fries something like that.
HEY PALACE ARE YOU LISTENING.Knock that gift shop out by the pool and put a grill there.

Room Tip: Stay at the Oaxaca building this is closest to the pool and beach
Dear Guest.

It is a pleasure to know that your holiday with us was amazing.

I offer a sincere apology for the time to complete your check in and do not have a grill closer to the pools.

It is important for us to know your feedback thanks to them makes us constantly improve

Barcelo Maya Palace

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!